Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

RasTa wrote: »
    You might want 2/3rds of some of them, ABV isn't imperial stout madness.

Or to try all three is €19.50, these margins are too high for my liking especially the White Hag price.

If you want 2/3rds order two 1/3rds then.

I went there recently, had a few beers over a couple of hours and spent 30 quid. If that's too expensive for you, go to Wetherspoons or whatever. Or consider should you be spending money on drink at all if money is so tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ballso wrote: »
    I went there recently, had a few beers over a couple of hours and spent 30 quid.

Or a normal pub that isn't a farcical rip off?

Theres a reason Brewdog started in 2007 and are now worth 2 billion......

The Nal wrote: »
    Or a normal pub that isn't a farcical rip off?

Theres a reason Brewdog started in 2007 and are now worth 2 billion......

I don't consider 30 euro much money for a few nice beers consumed over a couple of hours in a nice location myself. There's options for you if you think otherwise, try Wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

hernie wrote:
    I was there on Satruday and they stopped serving at 11:30pm. I thought they were just copying the British opening hours but they said they had to close at that time because it was a residential area. Sure I was only getting started.

I wonder is that the real reason. There are pubs in residential areas all over Dublin that don't close that early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They do have a cult following with people who bought shares so will jump to their defence, even if the shares are worthless.

Although I do admit my hatred of them is irrational, like some people have for Ryanair. I still drink in their bars from time to time when they have good guest stuff on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

L1011 wrote:
    You can get a further 2.5% by setting it as your local on the EFP app; assuming you don't have another you go to more often obviously. Every little helps when the prices are that steep!

So can I stack my 10% EFP discount, 15% daytime discount and 2.5% local bar discount for a total discount of 27.5%? Also, can I apply that to a group or is it just for the individual? And how does the daytime discount work - what hours and what days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They do have a cult following with people who bought shares so will jump to their defence, even if the shares are worthless.

Although I do admit my hatred of them is irrational, like some people have for Ryanair. I still drink in their bars from time to time when they have good guest stuff on.

I drink the odd can of their beers. Decent enough stuff but they've really nabbed people hook, line and sinker. Blind loyalty. Like Apple or Kony 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ciaranis wrote: »
    So can I stack my 10% EFP discount, 15% daytime discount and 2.5% local bar discount for a total discount of 27.5%? Also, can I apply that to a group or is it just for the individual? And how does the daytime discount work - what hours and what days?

It stacks yes - log into the app, go to my EFP card and it shows your active discounts

Daytime 15% is Mon-Fri 12-5.30pm

The Nal wrote: »
    I drink the odd can of their beers. Decent enough stuff but they've really nabbed people hook, line and sinker. Blind loyalty. Like Apple or Kony 2012.

Kony 2012, haha

Or other people are just less price sensitive sensitive than you. I couldn't really give a **** about Brewdog. Equally, I couldn't really give a **** if my bar bill comes to 20, 30 or 40 quid. Who cares like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Not really. You can sell them on for a profit. I got shares with them pretty early on and made a decent amount on them. But tbh I only got them for the online discount, which tbf has paid itself back multiple times over. It used to be really hard to get decent beers over here and they used to have some really amazing guest beers online, not so much anymore. I do find a lot of their own beers are a bit motr now so I'm certainly no fanboy. They do still make the odd exceptional beer though.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not really. You can sell them on for a profit. I got shares with them pretty early on and made a decent amount on them. But tbh I only got them for the online discount, which tbf has paid itself back multiple times over. It used to be really hard to get decent beers over here and they used to have some really amazing guest beers online, not so much anymore. I do find a lot of their own beers are a bit motr now so I'm certainly no fanboy. They do still make the odd exceptional beer though.

What if I never buy brewdog stuff? I know early investors got a return but these days in a traditional share sense, they are worthless

What if I never buy brewdog stuff?
    I dunno, I was just responding to your comment that they are worthless, which is obviously not true.

I dunno, I was just responding to your comment that they are worthless, which is obviously not true.

They are.

You have bought a brewdog membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're planning an IPO in which case they'll be fully tradeable; but there is a secondary market already. They are already PLC shares as it stands, properly registered as such.

They are.

You have bought a brewdog membership.
    L1011 wrote: »
    They're planning an IPO in which case they'll be fully tradeable; but there is a secondary market already. They are already PLC shares as it stands, properly registered as such.

This. I'm not getting what's unclear about that. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

maximoose wrote: »
    It stacks yes - log into the app, go to my EFP card and it shows your active discounts

Daytime 15% is Mon-Fri 12-5.30pm

That’s cool.

Total discount of 27.5%.
    Brings a pint down from €7.25 to €5.61.

The one time I was in there we opened a tab and I used my discount on the entire bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

b47ab0b769e851dc616277feb7263789_640x640.jpg
    Those 1/3rds are pricey.

I don't understand why a half pint of a 3.5% sour is only 15c cheaper than a half pint of an 8.5% sour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't understand why a half pint of a 3.5% sour is only 15c cheaper than a half pint of an 8.5% sour.

White Hag premium range, they always seem to have two prices for their beers, really cheap or really pricey. Just my opinion, and could be way off.

Time, ingredients, overheads, expected margin from different breweries, etc.

Different brewery but I don't get why that's so expensive. €2.50 a can when they released it.

• Advertisement

Different brewery but I don't get why that's so expensive. €2.50 a can when they released it.

Yeah I suppose the shipping could be the other factor for Vault.

Spotted that Mango Inferno in a taproom over here this weekend. €13 v £4 is the gouging going on.

Although even the Cloudwater was cheaper then in their own taproom

EOmU5y6U0AA6Dix?format=jpg&name=medium

Seen they have a Cloudwater take over at the end of the month. Expect more gouging

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

n/a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Not sure if it's been answered, but they reason the brewing equipment looks like it's not being used is because they have brewed a red ale, but can't do anything with it until the get the go ahead from Revenue so they can package and sell it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    Its pointed out in that thread that EFP is €25 with a free pint of Punk there; but its €30 and no pint online. Its £25 in the UK pubs so someones forgotten to do the currency conversion there...

One share and using the app will get you 7.5% off everything so if you're a regular its well worth it.
    They're now offering membership in exchange for 100 empty cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BeerNut wrote: »

I can hear the arguments already, "why are you keeping empty cans all over the house" :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

BeerNut wrote: »

It says 50 on the site. :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

nc6000 wrote: »
    It says 50 on the site. :confused:
    It was 100 earlier this morning. It's almost like they're making all this up as they go along.

Edit: also, membership with a pint of Punk is now €30.

I got the email yesterday saying it was 50 cans for free membership.
    Part of a sustainable drive, as listed below.

#1. CANS FOR EQUITY - Trade in 50 of empty cans and become a BrewDog Equity Punk.

#2. INDIE TRASH CANS – An upcycling revolution; old cans refilled with craft beer and given new life.

#3. ONCE BEER VODKA - Imperfect beer makes great vodka. Instead of throwing it out, we distil it.

#4. DIY DOG - Responsible brewing at home - brew your own goddamn beer with DIY Dog Brewkits.

#5. BREWDOG FREEHOUSE - Making all our beer knowledge available and open-source.

#6. TOMORROW FUND - Investing £1 million a year in research and initiatives helping our industry have a positive impact on the world.

eA1mgyDkIXeJbEd7sEqrqACp3HCz7xGsBQ.png?1581066869

I signed up for €30 last weekend while there and got my free pint. Currently at a saving €12.25 out of the €30 I spent to join.

• Advertisement

That would be me out straight away. Companies love a gimmick and this sustainable thing is just another one. Just live by the product.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

That would be me out straight away.

Straight out of what?

Just live by the product.

Your kind of beer so.

spm_a3821.jpg

Effects wrote: »
    Your kind of beer so.

HUGE PICTURE

Not really, no. But trying to sell off sustainable means if they can get enough through that then the quality doesn’t need to be there.

Can I be arsed saving 50 empties and getting my OH (he usually drinks any Dead Pony bought anyway) to register to get 1 extra share...

Will need to find details on what you do with the empties to get it - can't find anything in detail yet.

Not really, no. But trying to sell off sustainable means if they can get enough through that then the quality doesn’t need to be there.

Being sustainable isn't going to add a huge amount to their bottom line to be fair.
    It's just showing that they are doing something about an important issue.
    It doesn't really matter if they aren't doing it for purely altruistic reasons.

I had a friend who was part of a small brewery in South Africa. Any time they messed up a batch of beer, they would give it to a distillery down the road, and they would get a percentage back. I must ask him what the results were like. But for a vodka, it probably didn't affect the flavour too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If you buy online, do you need to pay duty?

Looks like the beers are coming from the UK.

If you buy online, do you need to pay duty?

Looks like the beers are coming from the UK.

No.
    You don’t have to pay duty cause you pay shipping or around €15 per case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

No.

I've done it plenty of times and don't pay duty. A post-Brexit tax regime might change that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No.

This has nothing to do with duty.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I've done it plenty of times and don't pay duty. A post-Brexit tax regime might change that

Brexit or the lack of it doesn't change any duty due.
    Duty is due on any alcohol imported whether from EU or not.
    It's possible that Brewdog have a relationship with revenue and collect the duty (included in the price you pay) on their behalf - but I doubt this is the case.

It's most likely that you got away without your goods being seized.

• Advertisement

This has nothing to do with duty.

Doesn’t take away from the fact that I’ve never paid duty on multiple orders - one of which was for over €1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Brexit or the lack of it doesn't change any duty due.
    Duty is due on any alcohol imported whether from EU or not.
    It's possible that Brewdog have a relationship with revenue and collect the duty (included in the price you pay) on their behalf - but I doubt this is the case.

It's most likely that you got away without your goods being seized.

Didn't know that, have ordered from Brewdog probably 10-12 times over the past few years, never had an issue

Well, I've ordered some beers from them. Hopefully they arrive.

From reading the Brewdog website, it appears that they do not have any customs or vat relationship with any countries that they deliver to outside of the UK.

It would seem that there isn't a problem receiving goods from Brewdog without paying duty but make no mistake, duty is due on these deliveries and the goods can be seized by Irish revenue/customs.
    There also appears to be no proper system in place to pay the duty if the goods are seized.

No matter if you have successfully gotten orders delivered a thousand times without paying duty, these orders are liable for Irish duty and, possibly, Irish VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

From the Brewdog site:

VAT & CUSTOMS/IMPORT CHARGES FOR ONLINE ORDERS

As these orders are paid for in the UK, VAT is payable on all online shop orders regardless of the final destination country. We keep all international surcharges to a minimum where possible, but this charge is not something we have the ability to waiver.

Orders (including gifts) may be subject to unexpected local taxes / customs charges. Customers are responsible for these costs and should ensure they are happy to pay them prior to ordering. If you later decide to reject the goods, when a customs charge is applicable, we reserve the right to deduct shipping and any other costs incurred prior to processing any refund.

These terms and conditions do not affect your statutory rights.

Well, I've ordered some beers from them. Hopefully they arrive.

Arrived no problem.

Packaging covered with Brewdog logo-ing, so not even discrete.

Strange that it seems to be able to avoid Duty.

Quite a saving on the Irish off-license price, especially with the equity discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

Looks like there was a big clear out in their online shop, must be getting rid of old stock in advance of the new can designs. I had a bunch of stuff in my basket but never completed the order, went back earlier and see they are almost all sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

I received an order today, no problem with customs.

The cans for equity isn't live in Ireland until next week it seems; and you haul the empties in to the bar. Bit of a long walk with a clanking bag!

Arrived no problem.

Packaging covered with Brewdog logo-ing, so not even discrete.

Strange that it seems to be able to avoid Duty.

Quite a saving on the Irish off-license price, especially with the equity discount.
    I think it's just dumb luck that they're not stopped. I guess international import of alcohol do your door is a relatively new game.

Out of curiosity, how much did you save against buying here from the off license?

• Advertisement
Advertisement