Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BrewDog Bar Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Drinking out of plastic? In a pub? I don't think I've ever seen that save for festivals, matches etc.

Had a weekend in Manchester recently, couldn't get over how bad the beer options were in pubs. Stella and Carling seem to be the consistent brands, after that the "craft" options were things like Camden Pills, or Diamond, can't imagine any of them are ever gonna be sold outside England for good reason

lol, Manchester is the best beer city in the UK. Not my fault you went to chains.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Where is serving in plastic?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Where is serving in plastic?

Those typical Irish pubs like the 3Arena, Marlay Park, Slane, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only pubs I've been served in plastic have actually been in the UK; rigid washable tumblers in some extremely busy late bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

RasTa wrote: »
    lol, Manchester is the best beer city in the UK. Not my fault you went to chains.
    Was well aware of the reputation it has, that wasn’t chains I was seeing those in, places like Piccadilly Tap that were wellregarded, give me the Irish beers over Camden/Dismond beers They serve anyway.

Was well aware of the reputation it has, that wasn’t chains I was seeing those in, places like Piccadilly Tap that were wellregarded, give me the Irish beers over Camden/Dismond beers They serve anyway.

Stop lying.

Anyway you could have went to Bundobust, Northern Monk, Beatnik republic and Port Street beer house within a 5min walk from that place. Let alone another 20 places I could mention in the city.

EMPq02zXsAIGDPl?format=jpg&name=small

EMOuPw_WwAE2-XO?format=jpg&name=small

Most of the beers aren’t as good though, so basically that’s just a big wall or writing.

Most of the beers aren’t as good though, so basically that’s just a big wall or writing.

Not his point, whatever you think of the beers.

Had a weekend in Manchester recently, couldn't get over how bad the beer options were in pubs. Stella and Carling seem to be the consistent brands, after that the "craft" options were things like Camden Pills, or Diamond, can't imagine any of them are ever gonna be sold outside England for good reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Love me some 3rd's. Everything the UK does in terms of beer is 17 million times better then we do back home.

I have never been so spoiled for choice.
    The peasants in Ireland are forced to drink out of a plastic cup for whatever reasons. Unheard of over here.
    I actually feel sorry for how limited your beer drinking options are back home.

Sounds like you left Ireland in 2001 and haven't been back since. You have no clue what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mod: Alright lads, can we bring the conversation back to talking about BrewDog please.

Bit busier for the day of the week then I expected but this isn't a normal Sunday (it is Sunday isn't it? I read the Sunday papers but they could have been on my doorstep for days :pac:)

That walk is going to put a lot of people off coming back - the blood stoney bridge can't come quick enough to get it closer to the Luas. If I see a taxi when I'm leaving I will probably get one!

There's a new Press Up (Mackenzie's) around the corner also so there is actually competition for some of the market already

Oh, and if you don't like dogs; or specially noisy dogs or smelly dogs - either don't go at all or sit upstairs. The yapping from one particular one drove me away from my seat it got so incessant

Strange, loads of dogs in the pubs and taprooms over here and none of them stink out the place.

Pretty much dogs in every bar on the seafront in Bray and never seems to be an issue either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Strange, loads of dogs in the pubs and taprooms over here and none of them stink out the place.

Man, we get it. The UK has great beers, glass glasses and dogs that have a gently scent of roses.

• Advertisement

We know you live in pub utopia; but here in the real world there was a stinker and a yapper ruining the place for anyone except their owners. 2/2 of the dogs that made themselves obvious to me were problematic, there could have been further not causing trouble that I didn't see or hear

Only takes one stinker for a place to be ruined no matter how many were there.

Always worth bringing headphones to a dog friendly bar too just in case someone does bring a little yapper in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'm all for dog friendly pubs, but surely if someones dog is barking incessantly they should be asked to leave? Its no different from human punters causing noise problems by screaming and shouting or banging tables or whatever, which would result in them being asked to leave in most bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Perhaps we should ask RasTa for the answer, maybe they have non-barking dogs in this magical kingdom he lives in?

Blut2 wrote: »
    I'm all for dog friendly pubs, but surely if someones dog is barking incessantly they should be asked to leave? Its no different from human punters causing noise problems by screaming and shouting or banging tables or whatever, which would result in them being asked to leave in most bars.

Would have thought that would be the case myself. WEST Brewery in Glasgow have a "3 barks and you're out" policy.

photo0jpg.jpg

• Advertisement

In the Beer Keeper in DL with two quite excitable pooches neither of which is yapping or smelly. Possibly Brewdog need to just force problematic owners out to their substantial outdoor areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My local had to ask a regular to take his dog away because of horrendous dog farts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My local had to ask a regular to take his dog away because of horrendous dog farts!

I know a few regulars that could fall foul of that rule themselves!

Just another point I know you're dying to know to further illustrate how terrible Ireland is.

Stay tuned for more what stupid things the Irish do, updates

Just another point I know you're dying to know to further illustrate how terrible Ireland is.

Never happen over here.

Where’s the Brewdog? I think you’ve uploaded the wrong photo there santos.

In the Harbour Bar Bray today, 6 dogs, no barking or smell. Most I imagine were people at the end of their walk. I agree though if the dog is creating a nuisance, just like a customer, put them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's an awful shame some people left this country to live in a brexit utopia of racism and general all round ethno nationalism.

Il stick with Ireland and our better bar service cheers though.

Keep coming with the great pub updates though very exciting

listermint wrote: »
    It's an awful shame some people left this country to live in a brexit utopia of racism and general all round ethno nationalism.

Il stick with Ireland and our better bar service cheers though.

Keep coming with the great pub updates though very exciting

I wish we could ship out everyone who thinks like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wish we could ship out everyone who thinks like him.

Unfortunately they'll all be back in the next three years...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The bickering, snide remarks and personal insults need to stop. Some of you have already been warned through PMs, and will receive forum bans without further warning if you persist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Went here on Monday. The beers were lame, upstairs bar had about half of the taps flowing and none of the overworks stuff. Got some of the vegan 2 4 1 burgers, they were decent but wouldn't feel great about paying full price for them. Packed full of hipsterified everything etc etc etc

Good things: dogs behaved well & the smoking areas are nice to hang out at and there's lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

What's a pint of Punk going for here if ye don't mind me asking? Friend used to work in Brewdog in Edinburgh when they first opened years ago, and I've great memories of sitting at the bar drinking for free all night

What's a pint of Punk going for here if ye don't mind me asking? Friend used to work in Brewdog in Edinburgh when they first opened years ago, and I've great memories of sitting at the bar drinking for free all night

€7.25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Was in over Christmas. Quite liked the space upstairs, especially the large balcony area. I'd imagine it'd be a very pleasant place to drink in the summer. One dog there: no issues. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

snowblind wrote: »
    Packed full of hipsterified everything etc etc etc

What's this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Friend used to work in Brewdog in Edinburgh when they first opened years ago, and I've great memories of sitting at the bar drinking for free all night

I thought the days of bar staff routinely stealing beer to give to their friends were long gone - what with modern stocktaking .

I thought the days of bar staff routinely stealing beer to give to their friends were long gone - what with modern stocktaking .

He did say it was years ago. That said, it'd be very difficult to accurately tell what was given away against spillage/runoffs etc.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    What's this?

They have a tubular ping pong table.
    Snowblind would have you believe you can't play it unless you have a beard and a lumberjack shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheMadBrewer

BaZmO* wrote: »
    He did say it was years ago. That said, it'd be very difficult to accurately tell what was given away against spillage/runoffs etc.

It's coming. There is a bar in Düsseldorf ("Holy Craft") where the tap is locked until the barman enters a sale on the register.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Effects wrote: »
    They have a tubular ping pong table.
    Snowblind would have you believe you can't play it unless you have a beard and a lumberjack shirt.

No one can play it regardless of beards and shirts. It's unplayable. I think the main problem is actually that the surface vibrates too much meaning the ball doesn't bounce nearly as much as it should. But even at that, the bounces are so unintuitive it is basically impossible to return shots.

modern?

errlloyd wrote: »
    But even at that, the bounces are so unintuitive it is basically impossible to return shots.

So it's basically to just look cool so.

It's coming. There is a bar in Düsseldorf ("Holy Craft") where the tap is locked until the barman enters a sale on the register.

As someone who worked in a bar for many years, this must be a pain in the hoop for fast and friendly service, sounds as bad as bar staff who can't do the totals in their heads, can't take more than one drinks order at once or who hold the glass by the top because they don't realise they are not the ones drinking it so they shouldn't be touching that part of the glass.

As for the modern stocktaking bit, well run bars never got away with it, you would know someone was at it by the stocks. Never any issue with a barman giving out the odd one to good customers, that's why you have a waste book. I have done it several times, kitchen messed up food, a round of drinks and an apology meant they stayed, had another drink and actually enjoyed the food despite the mishap.

I do remember one bar in Dublin (well they were a chain) and I stepped in as a favour to a friend who worked there. The manager commented that they made the most profit of any bar but their stock count was way out. Really easy to see why, staff were honest but not great at being bar staff as they had never been taught. So they had huge overages and shaky hands but they weren't handing out drinks or pocketing anything. About 5 minutes after work one day to show some the do's and do not's of pint pulling reduced keg waste immensely.

To keep this on topic, what is the service like? I will probably pop in one of the days.

N6TEprG.gif

Modern stock taking

The only thing Irish bar staff don't know is cellar management

• Advertisement

Seriously, can you stop with these ridiculous blanket statements please?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Seriously, can you stop with these ridiculous blanket statements please?

Well it's true. Cleaning lines, fobs etc aren't done by barmen in the usual spots.

Mate works for Kinnegar and part of his role is doing the lines for the pubs in Letterkenny

Befitting this thread, BrewDog staff will be cellar trained as they'll be the ones who will have to clean the lines.

Mod: And with that can we please stop going off topic.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Befitting this thread, BrewDog staff will be cellar trained as they'll be the ones who will have to clean the lines.

Mod: And with that can we please stop going off topic.

True and spoons staff, Galway bay chains too.

Cellar management is coming in thanks to the UK chains, about time too.

Punk seems to now be €7.50 a pint in there...

• Advertisement
Advertisement