Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Would You Deal With This Anti-Social Behaviour?

Options
  • 06-08-2015 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I’m looking for some advice as to how others would handle the situation I am in.

I live in a duplex apartment. Where I live is a through road between the local council estate and the nearest Spar, chipper and off-licence. The area has gone downhill very rapidly in the last couple of years. For the past few months now, every few days the local kids either kick their football against my window, throw a stone or piece of glass at my window, or lately, throw apples at my windows. Sometimes they do this while I am at work, so I come home to see that the alarm has been triggered. Sometimes they do this while I am at home. I might add that they really belt the ball/glass/stone/apple off the windows that I’m surprised they haven’t broken yet. I’ve only caught a brief glimpse of their faces once or twice and I’m quite sure they’re not from my area, which is why I’m assuming they’re coming down from the council estate, on their way to the shops/chipper. They’re about 13 or 14, and have absolutely no fear. They don’t run. They throw their stones/apples and just keep walking, cool as you like.

I’ve tried to ignore it, thinking that all they want is the satisfaction of knowing they’re annoying me, but at the same time I don’t want my windows smashed. I’ve never got a proper good look at them, because to do so I’d have to camp out at my window for days on end waiting for them to pass by, so I can’t properly identify them.

I’ve thought about going out and confronting them, but they’d only love that, and it would encourage them even more! And sure even if I caught them, then what? Am I supposed to assault a 14 year old?

Do I contact the guards about this? Is this not just a waste of Garda time, and sure what would they be able to do about it anyway?

To give a bit of back story, one of the local kids (who’s only about 7, btw!) was throwing stones and glass at my window, setting off the alarm. I went around to his mother and told her. She was very apologetic and brought him around to apologise to me. The mother cannot control this kid, I’ve seen her on the street in tears, at her wits end trying to control him. He’s very popular with the worst kids in the area though, of course! Anyway, he never threw anything at my window since, but not long after, the 13/14 year olds started throwing stuff at my window. A lot harder than the 7 year old ever could! I don’t know if it’s connected, but it’s very coincidental, and I get the feeling that it’s a waste of time going to the parents of these out of control kids. They’ll just tell their mates that they got in trouble because I ‘ratted’ on them, and then the friends just pick up the baton!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

A friend of mine had similar problems with teenagers generally causing a nuisance where he lived. They gathered on a wall at the end of the road setting off car alarms, egging houses, letting the air out of car tyres etc. He got about 10 of his friends to sit outside his front garden one evening and when the kids arrived all they had to do was give them a long stern look! It worked a treat and they never came back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Put up CCTV and bring the evidence to the police, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rataan

Put up CCTV and bring the evidence to the police, perhaps?

My car was vandalized outside the apartment a few months back, in broad daylight, and I'm beginning to suspect it was the same culprits. Since then the management company installed dummy CCTV cameras. That hasn't deterred them one bit! I got a quote from a CCTV installer, and it was approximately 600 Euro to get a system installed. I'm tempted to do it, but it's a lot of money, and I think all they'd do is just put up their hoodies, making them unrecognisable.

gerarda wrote: »
    A friend of mine had similar problems with teenagers generally causing a nuisance where he lived. They gathered on a wall at the end of the road setting off car alarms, egging houses, letting the air out of car tyres etc. He got about 10 of his friends to sit outside his front garden one evening and when the kids arrived all they had to do was give them a long stern look! It worked a treat and they never came back!

Nice plan, but in my case, they come at random times, and not every day. I'd have to gather a group of friends to sit outside for about 3 days straight, as well as during working hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rataan wrote: »
    I'm tempted to do it, but it's a lot of money, and I think all they'd do is just put up their hoodies, making them unrecognisable.
    If the camera points at public land, it can't be used in court. You say "apartment", so who owns the land that the car is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

I can empathise with you OP, as I've been in a similar position myself. It is worthwhile going to the odd parent as you did. Not everyone reacts rudely when it's pointed out to them that their child is causing a nuisance, but as you say, others just pick up where the others left off. When these 13/14 yr olds get boy/girl friends they too will stop, but again, more will take over...

All council estates have a community guard whose job is to liaise with families in the estate and try to keep the peace. It would be worth visiting your local Garda station and letting them know what's happening. They won't be going directly to anyone accusing them but may be able to improve the situation through talking to parents and young people in general in the estate. You will also find that when the cold weather sets in the annoying behaviour will stop as they will all be inside on their laptops.

Unfortunately, there exist different ways of living and being in a private apartment beside a council estate is not the best situation to be in. I had my house egged, pears, apples smeared all over my doors and windows, teenagers/younger kids calling me a c**t and banging on my window while I watched tv. One day I came home and all my hedge had been ripped up and was all over my grass. The kids who did it were sitting on my wall laughing, while the parents shouted down at me to "leave them the f**k alone"...
    I nearly went out of my mind.

I hope your situation improves. I ended up moving. Peace after work was something I didn't have except for those winter nights when it was cold and raining. God how I loved the rain then!

the_syco wrote: »
    If the camera points at public land, it can't be used in court. You say "apartment", so who owns the land that the car is on?

The car is parked on a public road outside the apartment.

So if CCTV footage clearly shows somebody throwing a stone which breaks a window, this cannot be used as evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

If they're old enough to harass then they're old enough to get slapped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Eh, the OP would be done for assault then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I'd suggest avoiding that. The worst troublemakers can have the most protective and indulgent, or even aggressive parents. There would be no end of bother from that, be it negative Garda attention or an escalation.

• Advertisement

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I can empathise with you OP, as I've been in a similar position myself. It is worthwhile going to the odd parent as you did. Not everyone reacts rudely when it's pointed out to them that their child is causing a nuisance, but as you say, others just pick up where the others left off. When these 13/14 yr olds get boy/girl friends they too will stop, but again, more will take over...

All council estates have a community guard whose job is to liaise with families in the estate and try to keep the peace. It would be worth visiting your local Garda station and letting them know what's happening. They won't be going directly to anyone accusing them but may be able to improve the situation through talking to parents and young people in general in the estate. You will also find that when the cold weather sets in the annoying behaviour will stop as they will all be inside on their laptops.

Unfortunately, there exist different ways of living and being in a private apartment beside a council estate is not the best situation to be in. I had my house egged, pears, apples smeared all over my doors and windows, teenagers/younger kids calling me a c**t and banging on my window while I watched tv. One day I came home and all my hedge had been ripped up and was all over my grass. The kids who did it were sitting on my wall laughing, while the parents shouted down at me to "leave them the f**k alone"...
    I nearly went out of my mind.

I hope your situation improves. I ended up moving. Peace after work was something I didn't have except for those winter nights when it was cold and raining. God how I loved the rain then!

Thanks Pandora. I might just contact the guards. I just thought there's probably nothing that they can do unless some actual damage is caused, plus I thought they'd probably have a lot of more pressing issues.

I know exactly what you mean about loving the rain though! All summer I've been checking the weather forecast and rubbing my hands with glee every time I saw rain forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Isn't it possible to get one of those high pitched sonic alarms that only operate on a frequency teenage kids can hear? I'm not taking the p*ss by the way, a landlord I had years ago was telling me about a similar problem and this was his solution at the time. Apparently it gives the little shi*batgs an annoying buzzing in their ears that forces them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Isn't it possible to get one of those high pitched sonic alarms that only operate on a frequency teenage kids can hear? I'm not taking the p*ss by the way, a landlord I had years ago was telling me about a similar problem and this was his solution at the time. Apparently it gives the little shi*batgs an annoying buzzing in their ears that forces them off.

Not in a public place, on private property by all means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I loved the rain too. Washed the filth from the street.
    I've left Ireland and was talking to a female friend of mine on Tuesday who said she loved the rain. She meant she loved the feeling of soft warm rain on her skin.
    For me it was a case of loving a nice cold hard rain which kept all the anti-social element indoors.

Everlong1 wrote: »

Thanks Everlong. I'm aware of those devices you're talking about, but my problem is not that they're congregating outside the apartment. They're walking past my apartment on their way to the shop/chipper and throwing things at my window.

Bars on the window?

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Bars on the window?

I've thought about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've thought about it!

Management company unlikely to permit alterations to the external appearance of the development. It's a standard clause in purchase documents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Bars on the window?
    Or a thick sheet of plexiglass/perspex over your exposed windows would stop stones and footballs etc from getting near your windows or setting off the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

gerarda wrote: »

Great way to escalate the problem imo and attract the older siblings / parents down to 'protect' their little demons.

All it takes is a simple 'what the f%ck are you looking at ?' and one of your mates to react feeling all gang protected and tough, and it all kicks off. Your left living there, while you won't be seeing your mate calling down again. It's now ten times worse and you can't reverse it.

Besides that, most people don't have the expendables as mates to call upon, and not sure how I would react if a friend asked me over to intimidate some kids. Not sure most friends would appreciate being dragged into something like that - I certainly wouldn't ask anyone, or appreciate being asked either.

• Advertisement

Application to the council to extinguish the right of way so there is no longer a through road?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

I tried that. Parents of anti-social sh*ts who were anti-social sh*ts themselves fabricated signatures to keep it open and had to face them down at public meetings. never succeeded in closing down the right of way.
    did succeed in getting a bus stop moved which made the right of way a less preferable route to another.

After further consideration I think a stern talking to would suffice.

I'd suggest avoiding that. The worst troublemakers can have the most protective and indulgent, or even aggressive parents. There would be no end of bother from that, be it negative Garda attention or an escalation.

Yes I agree but unfortunately its the only language yobs understand. But its not a feasable solution. Tough situation, its a very minor case for the Gardaí but a very bothersome one for a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Went through something similar many years ago. Caused me ill health in the end so I just moved and it was the best thing I ever did, never had any problems again. Would never again consider living near a housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

OP one thing to bear in mind with such scrotes, is that the recurrent and purposeful setting off of alarms is also a tact used by criminals. Basically everyone in the area gets used to hearing alarms going off and pays no attention anymore, thus allowing criminals to freely break in as neighbours will just assume it is the kids. Make sure your property is secure.

At the end of the day OP, your mind will rest easy by remembering that your hard earned tax money will support these delightful and productive memories well into retirement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Rebellion

those acoustic devices work for mice and spiders why not teens? anything is worth a shotinstead of tolerating this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Rebellion wrote: »
    those acoustic devices work for mice and spiders why not teens? anything is worth a shotinstead of tolerating this

Adults can hear them too. They are not a viable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The car is parked on a public road outside the apartment.

So if CCTV footage clearly shows somebody throwing a stone which breaks a window, this cannot be used as evidence?
    From my understanding, correct.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    From my understanding, correct.

I find that very hard to believe. My brother was mugged on a public street in Dublin many years ago and the guards that investigated it sought sought CCTV footage from a local business. Alas, the footage was of poor quality and couldn't identify the perpetrators.

After many years of watching Judge Judy, I'll have to quote her: "If it doesn't make sense, then it's not true". :)

Advertisement