Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Clematis rarely mentioned in Ireland?

Options
  • 06-08-2015 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Why are clematis so rarely mentioned in Ireland? is the climate against them or am I just looking in the wrong places !

Everything I've read about Clematis says they are great plants and some varieties have a really long flowering season from mid summer to mid autumn

Aldi has a really good selection on sale today, the ones in my local shop are really good.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-6-aug/products-detail-page/ps/p/summer-clematis-4/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't know where you are but clematis are very popular where I live. Is it possible that you just don't see them because the blooms tend to be short lived?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I am SICK of Clematis. My neighbours feel they can plant this and forget it, and it keeps growing into my garden. One neighbour has clematis which is about 6 feet thick, I actually burnt out my hedge trimmer trying to cut the thing back out of my garden

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

I'm in Co Galway near the sea so maybe they don't thrive in the wind, anyhow I'm going to give them a try.

I like the idea that they only need pruning once a year and some have a very long flowering period.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bit of a sweeping statement to say clematis are 'rarely mentioned' in Ireland. You must be talking to the wrong people. I reckon that clematis would be found in at least 50% if not more of cultivated gardens around here. I have maybe 6 I think, my neighbour has about 4. They can be found in garden centres and nurseries, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anitamaak

Clematis should be available at all good garden centres. There is an excellent book Timber Press Pocket Guide to Clematis written by Mary Toomey (who lives in Ireland) with Everett Leeds & Charles Chesshire. It gives a description of hundreds of clematis, with a colour photograph of nearly all of them and your local library should be able to get it for you. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm in Co Galway near the sea so maybe they don't thrive in the wind, anyhow I'm going to give them a try.

I like the idea that they only need pruning once a year and some have a very long flowering period.

Large flowered varieties like to be sheltered. Montana (white) and Montana Rubens (pink) are fairly tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Clematis are everywhere and give lovely wall coverage. The flowers on the ones i have are a bit like Cherry Blossoms - spectacular but short lived unfortunately, but the leaves are a nice shape and better than looking at a dull brown fence i think.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement