Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair really greasy

Options
  • 06-08-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've had really greasy roots/top third of my hair lately. I used to be able to go two or three days without washing, with a bit of dry shampoo help, but I look awful on the second day after washing now. Would it be hormonal changes or anything? Can I do anything about it? I don't like washing every day but sometimes I need to because I know I'll feel greasy by the mid afternoon if I don't.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd suggest that the heat could be at play, but let's face it... That's not the issue.

It may be a build up of silicone if you're using cheaper shampoos and conditioners (anything from a supermarket, let's say). Try using a clarifying shampoo once a week to see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Have you switched to a different shampoo? I know my hair reacts differently to all sorts of shampoos and usually I'd get 3 days without it getting greasy but there have been times when I've switched shampoo and my hair got greasy fast. Kerastesse have a new pre shampoo out that's like an exfoliant for your scalp for product built up. I haven't tried it myself but the reviews online are pretty good in that it's very clarifying and gives an extra day or two of freshly washed hair feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Just out of curiosity for those lucky people who can get 3 days out of a hair wash ...

Have you got very thick hair?

Do you do much sweaty exercise during the week?

I've got very thin hair and exercise (sweat) a lot, always need to wash my hair every day :(

cactusgal wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity for those lucky people who can get 3 days out of a hair wash ...

Have you got very thick hair?

Do you do much sweaty exercise during the week?

I've got very thin hair and exercise (sweat) a lot, always need to wash my hair every day :(

My hair would be fine too but I have it highlighted so it's dry and that's the only reason I can get 2-3 days out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Could well be hormonal changes.

I changed pill a few years back and my hair immediately became greasier. It settled over time but it drove me mad for a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Faith wrote: »
    I'd suggest that the heat could be at play, but let's face it... That's not the issue.

It may be a build up of silicone if you're using cheaper shampoos and conditioners (anything from a supermarket, let's say). Try using a clarifying shampoo once a week to see if that helps.

Can you recommend a good clarifying shampoo, started using mousse again but it's impossible to wash out with my current stuff :(

Can you recommend a good clarifying shampoo, started using mousse again but it's impossible to wash out with my current stuff :(

Stuff seems to build up in my hair pretty easily for some reason, and I've tried a good few brands of clarifying shampoo but none better than Pantene Clarifying shampoo. If you have a lot of build up do two shampoos to start off, then once a week thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

My hair is the same at the moment. I used to wash every second day, with dry shampoo on day two, but now within 24 hours of washing my hair I look like I've stuck my head in a chip pan!

I'd forgotten how good pantene clarifying shampoo is so I must pick some of that up. Also stay away from Toni and guy s&c - I thought I would "treat" my hair to something semi-fancy but it made the whole situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I haven't switched shampoo at all.

I am breastfeeding, but I've been doing that for most of the past three years so I don't think it'd be that. I have highlights so the bottom two thirds can be quite dry, and I use a leave in product for that. I feel I'm in a cycle where I'm washing more so the hair is getting greasier in response but I feel icky when I wake up after not washing for two days in a row.

I will pick up that clarifying shampoo!

I'd forgotten how good pantene clarifying shampoo is so I must pick some of that up. Also stay away from Toni and guy s&c - I thought I would "treat" my hair to something semi-fancy but it made the whole situation worse.

I tried that Toni & Guy one, absolutely awful stuff, the ends were like straw and the roots were just as flat and weighed down. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Candie wrote: »
    I tried that Toni & Guy one, absolutely awful stuff, the ends were like straw and the roots were just as flat and weighed down. :(

I hear ya! Waste of €15!!

Candie wrote: »
    Stuff seems to build up in my hair pretty easily for some reason, and I've tried a good few brands of clarifying shampoo but none better than Pantene Clarifying shampoo. If you have a lot of build up do two shampoos to start off, then once a week thereafter.

Sounds perfect, going to try get it tonight!

Sounds perfect, going to try get it tonight!

At least with the Pantene, if you don't like it, you haven't made a major investment. It's really good though and hopefully it'll do the trick for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

+1 for clarifying shampoo. I really like Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo once a week and follow it up with a nice conditioning treatment. It's on the pricey side though and I've heard good things about that Pantene shampoo though.,

My hair has been really greasy/dull/weighed down the past few months, also taking forever to dry and getting SO knotty and matted. I thought it was down to hard water or something as I'd moved recently. I was using a sulphate-free shampoo and silicone-free conditioner which I assumed would reduce build up. Ended up going to a hairdresser who did a strand test on me- the amount of gunk she scraped off my hair was disgusting! She actually recommended I quit using sulphate/silicone free shampoo for now as my hair was prone to build up. Switching to a new shampoo/conditioner (some salon brand I bought off the actual hairdresser) has helped big time and also being religious with the weekly clarifying shampoos.

So maybe going to a hairdresser and asking for a strand test might help determine if it's a build up issue or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Where are people buying the Pantene clarifying shampoo? I've tried Boots and Tesco and no joy, anyone know if Dunnes stock it or would it be more of a local pharmacy thing? Thanks!

Edit: also, is the Pantene one ok for coloured hair? I was going to get the Bumble and Bumble one until I noticed it's not for use on coloured hair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

dee_mc wrote: »
    Where are people buying the Pantene clarifying shampoo? I've tried Boots and Tesco and no joy, anyone know if Dunnes stock it or would it be more of a local pharmacy thing? Thanks!

Edit: also, is the Pantene one ok for coloured hair? I was going to get the Bumble and Bumble one until I noticed it's not for use on coloured hair!

I got it in boots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I got it in boots

Can't find it on their website (or in my local Boots store either) curiouser and curiouser!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Can't find it on their website (or in my local Boots store either) curiouser and curiouser!

I bought it yday in boots. Its in a clear bottle which says Clarifying in a turquoise square at the front. I bought mine on baggot street, there was one left.

I used it last night, can't believe how strong it is! Will definitely use a deep conditioner next time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

lazygal wrote: »
    I have highlights so the bottom two thirds can be quite dry, and I use a leave in product for that.

Do you need your roots done? I definitely find that if I let mine go a bit longer than I should, my hair gets greasy much quicker. Like you, I'd normally get 3 days out of my hair but I've about an inch of regrowth at the moment (hairdresser on hols :() and I'm only getting a day, two at a push.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Do you need your roots done? I definitely find that if I let mine go a bit longer than I should, my hair gets greasy much quicker. Like you, I'd normally get 3 days out of my hair but I've about an inch of regrowth at the moment (hairdresser on hols :() and I'm only getting a day, two at a push.

I do need them done but I've let it go longer than this before and haven't had such greasy hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I've read about this somewhere b4 and someone recommended a tea tree oil shampoo. Cheaper than clarifying shampoos and you just need to use it once in a while along with your regular shampoo/conditioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I had the same issue til I spoke to a hairdresser.

She said that normal shampoos were too 'heavy' for my hair, and residue was being left on the hair, even when she washed it for me!

She didn't try to sell me anything, but recommended I pop into Lush and buy one of their shampoo bars.

I did and my hair is ridiculously soft and stays looking good for a full 48 hours now. Costs about eight quid, but each one lasts me about three months!

Might try that as well

Water scrubbing is helpful as well I find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

bluewolf wrote: »
    Might try that as well

Water scrubbing is helpful as well I find

What's water scrubbing?

I'm happy using Lush shampoo bars, but anything else to keep my hair in good nick, I'm happy to try :D

Having a shower and scrubbing your scalp hard under the water as if you've used shampoo but don't put any product in it. Scrub a bit harder maybe.
    Maybe it works as a clarifier or something. Blowdry then after that, looks grand

Did some random googling for instructions -
    http://shalommama.com/wash-hair
    ehhhh I don't leave it for weeks now, I do it in between if I've been exercising, or maybe it needs it on day 2 or so ... but it does work

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Appleberryo

thanks for the tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I bought it yday in boots. Its in a clear bottle which says Clarifying in a turquoise square at the front. I bought mine on baggot street, there was one left.

I used it last night, can't believe how strong it is! Will definitely use a deep conditioner next time

I saw it today in Boots in the Pavillions. It's on offer at the moment, 2 for €6.50 across the Pantene range.

I picked up a Kelkin tea tree oil shampoo as I couldn't find the Pantene one. It has really had an effect. I got three days out of my most recent shampoo, my hair was a little greasy on the third day but a bit of styling sorted that out.

Could this be a cyclical thing? I've actually come to realise that my hair never really feels clean when I've my period no matter how many times I wash it..

• Advertisement
Advertisement