Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new dog

• 06-08-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

hi,

sorry for silly questions :rolleyes:

Have adopted a dog from <snip>, great people.

I think she's a Shih Tzu mix.

How often should i be feeding her? Her last owners fed her once a day, 1/2 tin dog food mixed with dry feed.

Despite bathing and drying with hair dryer, what a laugh :D, she still has that wet dog smell, how do i get rid of the smell?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The smell will go away with time.

As for feeding it's a personal preference. I had mine on 2 or three meals a day, but lots of dogs are happy with one meal a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

You can get doggy perfumes which are expensive but are very good! I have one and it lasts for days on them. Alternatively, you could try put some baby powder on them and brush it through to keep them smelling fresh. Just be careful with how much powder they are inhaling and sniffing through their very sensitive noses. I tend to avoid the head area with the dog perfume and/or baby powder just in case.

As for feeding, its a matter of choice really. I personally chose to feed them twice a day but decision is entirely up to you! Just make sure to reduce the food if feeding them more than once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What are you feeding the dog (ie what brands) because that could be causing the smell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

tinner777 wrote: »
    Despite bathing and drying with hair dryer, what a laugh :D, she still has that wet dog smell, how do i get rid of the smell?

My girl has quite a thick coat and it does take ages to dry but luckily she prefers dry shampoo and a brush out - unluckily she also enjoys a nice roll in smelly muck so sometimes a proper wash is the only thing that will do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

thanks everyone, spoke with a nice fella in petshop connected to vets, given new shampoo and smelly stuff, will give it a go.
    Eating a mixture of ceazer tin and dry food, came with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

how old is she?
    some dogs tend to be naturally smellier than others
    Definately the quality of the food will make a difference to all round general health, skin and hair condition, digestion (flatulence!!), breath and general well being. Buy the best quality dog food you can afford, and gradually introduce any new food slowly to prevent tummy upsets.

Dont over wash her, as you will be stripping the natural oils from her coat, and its not good for her skin to put too much chemicals on.
    A good brushing every day, outdoors, might help get everything cleared.
    Good luck with your new pet - so good of you to adopt
    (oh and being a little dog, a small amount of food in the a.m and then her main meal in the evening is a fairly safe regime. Depending on whether she is carrying weight, and how active she is of course!)

Advertisement