Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to upgrade graphics card

Options
  • 06-08-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have a 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti but its giving me a lot of hassle with Windows 10 and i find its running the odd game i do actually play very choppy.

Just recently built a pc for a friend with an Amd radeon hd 5450 in it and theres been no display issues with windows 10 so far.

So im thinking of upgrading down the Amd route again but i dont need anything crazy. I use my pc as a htpc first and foremost so performance in that area is the most important thing to me.

The option to actually play the odd game at a very good level would be nice as well though. I tend to play games like The Walking dead or the Wolf among us so im not talking major high end graphics here.

Hoping not to go over 100 but if its really worth it ill consider it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

GTX750 fits that bill perfectly.

Should get 50 back for the 550Ti on adverts. Not a great card but should be more than enough for the likes of Telltale games though, so check there isn't another issue at play first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

GTX750 fits that bill perfectly.

Should get 50 back for the 550Ti on adverts. Not a great card but should be more than enough for the likes of Telltale games though, so check there isn't another issue at play first.

Ive tried two different Nvidia cards now and both are having display issues with Windows 10. The issue im talking about is that after an update to the drivers a restart or even in some cases mid use the display goes very dark and shaded on certain sections of Windows such as tabs login screen or some of the start menu. Its seriously pissing me off as its ruining my whole experience of using the pc. Ive even went and disabled Windows Updates in services in case it was auto updating each time.

Ive not noticed this issue with Amd cards yet which is why im looking at them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Ive not noticed this issue with Amd cards yet which is why im looking at them now.
    I've been having similar issues with a HD6870 in a clean install of Windows 10. :)

I've been having similar issues with a HD6870 in a clean install of Windows 10. :)

Seriously!?

FFS there has to be a way around this. Its odd ive noticed no issues so far on me mates pc which was also a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sometimes you just have **** issues.

R7 260X should suffice there, it's about €90 on adverts, unless the TDP is too high but I'd reckon it's alright.

• Advertisement

Sometimes you just have **** issues.

R7 260X should suffice there, it's about €90 on adverts, unless the TDP is too high but I'd reckon it's alright.

Is anyone running Windows 10 with any of these cards and having no issues?

How am i meant to know whats gonna cause issues and whats not going to if i go and pick a card i want to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Luck of the draw. Haven't seen anything similar on my R9 290 though. Have you tried a different set of drivers?

Luck of the draw. Haven't seen anything similar on my R9 290 though. Have you tried a different set of drivers?

I'm going to try deleting all the nvidia software and leaving it up to Windows update.

Still want to update the card as well though!

Advertisement