Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teaching positions no interview or reply- wicklow

Options
  • 06-08-2015 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a job sorted for Sept so I'm not stuck or anything just wondered how many hundreds of ppl may have applied for this particular job with no reply? Maybe I was expecting too much. I can't name the school but the key is in my title. Also, I went for an interview earlier this summer and it went quite well. However, it was the first time ever that I received no reply whatsoever-very strange. I've left it too long now to call them and coincidentally it has been re-advertised. Fair enough I didn't get it but I think it's rude to not send an email. Thoughts anyone??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

janes1234 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a job sorted for Sept so I'm not stuck or anything just wondered how many hundreds of ppl may have applied for this particular job with no reply? Maybe I was expecting too much. I can't name the school but the key is in my title. Also, I went for an interview earlier this summer and it went quite well. However, it was the first time ever that I received no reply whatsoever-very strange. I've left it too long now to call them and coincidentally it has been re-advertised. Fair enough I didn't get it but I think it's rude to not send an email. Thoughts anyone??

If that's the certain new school in wicklow I think you'll find that nearly EVERY unemployed teacher in ireland has applied there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

From what I have heard, and if it's the same school I'm thinking of, then ethos seems to have been the most important factor in their recruitment policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

With the most ridiculous time consuming application form I have come across. Think you will be doing very well to hear of anyone who got an interview for that school. Most teachers there were on less than full time hours. Still good of them to waste hundreds of teachers time with a pointless application form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

With the most ridiculous time consuming application form I have come across.

^^^^^ A million percent. I've said it before in reference to the man who is principal of the school in question that any principal who expects applicants to fill in a 10-page application form for a single job, which is probably gone in advance and which 500 or 600 people are going to be applying for, sounds like somebody I would not like to work for. That's putting it nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

It's a pity he was not allowed to say staff with the same ethos will be given priority or 5 years experience and an MA required to be shortlisted for this position. The ethos was key for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes, the application form was over the top. I have to say though that I filled out two near identical forms for other unrelated schools this year too. These were also new schools. It seems to be a new trend now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I know. It might be a bit unfair to have singled out this school because it was mentioned in the OP but there are a few new and growing schools out there doing the same. I rang to inquire about a post last year. I already have a job but was interested in the location. The hours available in my subjects were way too few for me to consider and they couldn't be topped up with CSPE, SPHE etc but the principal thought they would be filled with a well-qualified experienced teacher who would be happy to created ebooks and work hard to promote a growing school for less payment than the dole. Sad thing is the position was filled...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

vamos! wrote: »
    I know. It might be a bit unfair to have singled out this school because it was mentioned in the OP but there are a few new and growing schools out there doing the same. I rang to inquire about a post last year. I already have a job but was interested in the location. The hours available in my subjects were way too few for me to consider and they couldn't be topped up with CSPE, SPHE etc but the principal thought they would be filled with a well-qualified experienced teacher who would be happy to created ebooks and work hard to promote a growing school for less payment than the dole. Sad thing is the position was filled...

Depends though, I know of 2 new schools that started with 1st years only. The initial positions were all pro rata (or whatever the term for 'not fulltime' is nowadays), but once the hours were upped and the years filled up then the teachers were moved on to full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Did the school only open last year and the principal came from a school in the same county with the same ethos? If so I heard all the previous years staff were just rehired. I don't know anyone who even got an interview or a PFO letter this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Millem wrote: »
    Did the school only open last year and the principal came from a school in the same county with the same ethos? If so I heard all the previous years staff were just rehired. I don't know anyone who even got an interview or a PFO letter this year.

Yes, that's precisely the school and the principal. As for the highlighted part, as I expected. The guy could have just asked candidates to fill in a single-page application if he just wanted to comply with a legal requirement to hold an interview.

Asking candidates to fill in a 10-page application in the full knowledge that he was, at the very least, likely (and as it happened certainly) going to rehire his existing staff says a lot about the lack of respect for the time and dignity of applicants. Demoralising stuff, financed by the taxes of the Irish state. It's long past the time when the recruitment (and training) system for teachers was centralised and under the authority of the state which funds salaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Yes, that's precisely the school and the principal. As for the highlighted part, as I expected. The guy could have just asked candidates to fill in a single-page application if he just wanted to comply with a legal requirement to hold an interview.

Asking candidates to fill in a 10-page application in the full knowledge that he was, at the very least, likely (and as it happened certainly) going to rehire his existing staff says a lot about the lack of respect for the time and dignity of applicants. Demoralising stuff, financed by the taxes of the Irish state. It's long past the time when the recruitment (and training) system for teachers was centralised and under the authority of the state which funds salaries.

Now that should be the role of the Teaching Council instead of taking money for absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

This sounds nearly as bad as the CEIST application forms!!.A friend of mine,well qualified,filled in an application form this summer for a post that she was (more) than capable of at least getting to interview stage.She did not even get an interview so she got in touch with CEIST and they told her she had not filled in the application form correctly!!! The form required 'ariel 12',she completed it in that font except for one word which was the name of a previous school that she changed to '11' so as to fit it in the box! Imagine being turned down for that.I will not tell you what her reply was but it ran along the lines of:The backers of CEIST should stick with what they were good at in the past(......... ........).If I put the words in I'll be banned from Boards for eternity!!

Advertisement