Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Issues

Options
  • 06-08-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I brought my laptop to a cetain company to get it fixed when it was having some problems. After several months (yes, months!) of ins and outs, and spenidng 200 euro to get it fixed, they said it was unfixable. They then offered to sell me a display model Packard Bell for 150 euro.

I, stupidly, bought the Packard Bell and when I took it home, within several days, it completely stopped working. I then had to leave the country for four months so have only sent it back to the company a few days ago.

The Tech company are currently looking at it and will call me back. I really just want a refund and to move on, I have stated this to them but they want to look at it first and "will be in touch".

Am I entitled to a refund? I really just want my money back and to move on and buy a new laptop and not go near that company again!

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Was the packard bell a new/near new computer or second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Well it was a display model, so I take it new?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Menas wrote: »
    Was the packard bell a new/near new computer or second hand?
    Doesn't matter, you have the same consumer rights whether you buy new or used.

OP, whether or not you are entitled to a refund depends on the nature of the fault. The seller is entitled to examine the fault for a reasonable time. If the seller can show it's not due to an inherent defect (e.g, it's caused by a post-sale malware infection, software you installed/uninstalled, damage) then you have no entitlements.

You are free to seek a refund but if the seller refuses a refund and offers a repair or replacement then it's up to you to decide if that's acceptable to you too. Ultimately if you cannot come to a settlement then you have the option of the Small Claims Court but that will cost you €25 which you cannot claim back.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, you have the same consumer rights whether you buy new or used.

OP, whether or not you are entitled to a refund depends on the nature of the fault. The seller is entitled to examine the fault for a reasonable time. If the seller can show it's not due to an inherent defect (e.g, it's caused by a post-sale malware infection, software you installed/uninstalled, damage) then you have no entitlements.

You are free to seek a refund but if the seller refuses a refund and offers a repair or replacement then it's up to you to decide if that's acceptable to you too. Ultimately if you cannot come to a settlement then you have the option of the Small Claims Court but that will cost you €25 which you cannot claim back.

The fault is definitely due to the computer itself, I never had the opportunity to install anything as it would freeze on the start up page.

I am going to ring them tomorrow morning and push for a refund. I am going overseas in a month and if it breaks again I won't be able to bring it back.

Thank you for your help

They refused to refund me the 150 euro instead sending me back my laptop and claiming it was fixed. Picked it up today from the shop and it immediately froze when I turned it on. Also, the battery problem is still there, as in it turns off unless the laptop is plugged in.

I called the tech team and they said to drop it back into the shop.

I am at my wits end here. What should I do? Is the small claims court ny only option? I bought the laptop in April so it is within its year warranty.... I would have dropped it back into the shop way sooner,as it never worked properly, but I moved out of the country for four months and I had it with me but it was never usable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Send a registered letter outlining the issues to date and that they attempted a repair which failed to provide a permanent resolution. Tell them what you want i.e. a full refund of the purchase price and that they have 10 business days to provide a satisfactory resolution otherwise you will take them to the SCC.
    Ideally a mutual agreement is preferable but if that's not possible then the SCC is your only option.

Advertisement