Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI sound through telly

Options
  • 06-08-2015 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm a bit pickled can usually solve issues like this without too much tinkering but am a bit stumped.

I use my Dell XPS L502X as a media centre of sorts for my telly. I run a HDMI from it to the back of the TV the computer detects the TV's Display and speakers I close the lid on the laptop and I watch my video's from the couch no issues, until now.

So I updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7 when the offer came up and now when I plug in the HDMI to the telly the sound output is only coming from the Laptop's speakers even with the lid closed. Under the Sound - playback menu the telly's sound output isn't displayed either. Totally perplexed! :( Any help would be great cheers lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm a bit pickled can usually solve issues like this without too much tinkering but am a bit stumped.

I use my Dell XPS L502X as a media centre of sorts for my telly. I run a HDMI from it to the back of the TV the computer detects the TV's Display and speakers I close the lid on the laptop and I watch my video's from the couch no issues, until now.

So I updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7 when the offer came up and now when I plug in the HDMI to the telly the sound output is only coming from the Laptop's speakers even with the lid closed. Under the Sound - playback menu the telly's sound output isn't displayed either. Totally perplexed! :( Any help would be great cheers lads!

Could be a driver issue. Might have to check if there's an update for 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Strange alright, I have windows 10 and no problem with audio and HDMI, I agree maybe update the drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

All i could find was a windows 10 update but it didn't resolve the issue. Decided to revert back to 7 and it's working as normal once again. Tis a shame not to be using 10 but using it with the telly is a major part of its function for me.

Thanks for the help anyway fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

All i could find was a windows 10 update but it didn't resolve the issue. Decided to revert back to 7 and it's working as normal once again. Tis a shame not to be using 10 but using it with the telly is a major part of its function for me.

The driver that you'd be looking for would be a driver for the "monitor" itself - Windows just doesn't know that that monitor supports Audio.

I'll try to plug my laptop into the TV later, and see what happens for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Fecking having this issue with Windows 7 at the moment and it's painful tbh.... Im won't recognise sound at all on the tv at all top open and all. Pain in the hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I had some similar problems before as well. Spent hours trying to fix it and just gave up and used my headphones/laptop speaker for sound. One day I restarted my laptop, with the HDMI plugged in, and the sound worked perfectly!

So I have to restart my laptop with the HDMI cable plugged in when booting, to get sound from it. Not ideal, but it might be useful to somebody!

Fecking having this issue with Windows 7 at the moment and it's painful tbh.... Im won't recognise sound at all on the tv at all top open and all. Pain in the hole

What's selected in your playback devices when plugged into the telly? Should be smething like the top one here

357672.jpg

All that shows is my laptop speaker.. Doesn't recognise the hdmi cable at all

All that shows is my laptop speaker.. Doesn't recognise the hdmi cable at all

Right click My Computer >> Click Manage >> Click Device Manager >> Scroll down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers and see what's listed there.

mordeith wrote: »
    Right click My Computer >> Click Manage >> Click Device Manager >> Scroll down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers and see what's listed there.

Thank you I'm out at the moment but will try it when I get in thanks.... Do es it matter I have a splitter with Xbox chromecast and media player hooked in? I doubt it would have any affect but you never know!

• Advertisement

Thank you I'm out at the moment but will try it when I get in thanks.... Do es it matter I have a splitter with Xbox chromecast and media player hooked in? I doubt it would have any affect but you never know!

I preeume the HDMI cable is coming from the laptop to the splitter? If so then i doubt that would cause a problem at the laptop side

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Reinstall the video card drivers. Should resolve this problem :)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Reinstall the video card drivers. Should resolve this problem :)

Nick

No idea what you are talking about. I am not techy at all.... I don't even know how to work the chromecast (no joke) so video card drivers is WAY out of my league

Advertisement