Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improve GPS?

Options
  • 06-08-2015 2:56pm

Hi all,

Just bought a Sony E3 on three and have started training for Hell and Back fundraising for feileacain.

The GPS seems pretty lousy, not tracking my runs properly (using strava and rundouble) is there anyway I can improve the GPS?

Bit of an ignorant when it comes to mobile comms, help would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Fast method:

Install GPS Essentials from the Google Play Store.

- Open the app and open the compass (Open GPS Essentials > Main Menu > Compass).
    - If your compass does not seem to be accurate, hold your hand out with the phone and move it around as a "figure of 8", e.g., draw a sideways 8. Repeat a number of times. It should resolve itself.

-In GPS Essentials, open the Main Menu, tap Satellites, and see it connecting to them in the sky. You should have a good few connecting. This may be because you are indoors or not in good line of the sky. If you're outside and with a clear view, and can only see a few, we've got a problem. If this is the case...

Download GPS Status and Toolbox.

- Tap the screen, then click the spanner icon and select "Manage A-GPS state". Click "Reset".
    - When done, go back to the previous menu "Manage A-GPS state" and select "Download".

Your GPS should be pretty good now. If it's not, try it again. If then nothing, you've got a phone problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GPS Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS

Has GLONASS(Russian GPS) so it should get a fix no problem. Make sure battery saver etc isnt enabled.

I can't get it closer that 98.4ft accuracy. I'm training for Hell and Back at the moment, so my runs through Strava have been well off.

Must be the phone.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement