Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comp Sys 3rd Year

• 06-08-2015 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey guys,

Just posting to see if anybody have any ideas would be like for 3rd year LM051?

I am currently on coop at the moment and its like a breath of fresh air not being back in college till January :D But ive heard bad things about 3rd saying its possibly the hardest semester to go into, which makes me pretty nervous.

I am not what you call a computer wiz whatsoever and I believe its a miracle that I have made it this far. My programming is so-so. I dont really make much of an effort to practice it and I only really do it in college and not outside of it. I will start practicing java and C++ soon because Chris Exton said if you dont start learning them you will be finished pretty much.

Was just wondering if there is anyone around here with past expirience and helpful tips to make this next semester less nerve racking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've done the modules listed for you guys' third year.

CS4006 Intelligent Systems
    This is a really nice module. It's basically AI. Malachy was teaching it the time I did it. Bone up on your Java, the project my year and the year after was to write a genetic algorithm. My class had to write a program that would try and generate their name and student number, and gradually make better guesses. You'll be given interm submission deadlines. MEET THEM. If you work towards the interim deadlines rather than focus on the big one at the end you'll be grand.

CS4125 Systems Analysis and Design
    This module sucks. Lots of UML diagrams and stuff. I think JJ has taken over this now. Try getting Select Architect and practice making Use Cases, Structural Diagrams, Flow Charts, etc, etc.

CS4115 Data Structures and Algorithms
    Yeah, Data Structures... I failed this module and never passed it because I lucked out in that it wasn't running the year I was repeating so got to do a different module. It's horrific. Easily the worst module I've had to do. From what I can remember, you should start taking a look at Big Oh notation and BSTs.

CS4076 Event Driven Programming
    This is a fun enough module, but then us Games' students would be more predisposed to liking this one. It's C++ using QT to build a game. Basically, maybe download QT and start getting to grips with it. Work on creating windows, buttons and display elements.

EE4023 Distributed Systems
    If James is still teaching this, it's a grand module. Theory heavy, but very doable. Once you go to labs and lectures, take notes and study you'll be fine. Start looking into PHP maybe, and how Java uses ports for communication, client/server stuff basically.

Looking at these modules, really the worst one is Data Structures, focus on that. Dist Systems and SAD are dull but fine. And the other two are some of my favourite modules.

Probably should be noted that some of these tips might be out of date as it's two years since I've done some of these (and three since I did Data Structures :P) but hopefully they'll help.

Best of luck man. The semester after co-op is pretty bad if you're enjoying a working environment that isn't University.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 moose522

Thanks man, as long as I know whats coming I can brace for it a bit. Plus I know a couple lads in games too so I can always bombard them with countless questions of the modules haha.

Only thing thats keeping me going is picturing myself being in an unreal job (I hope :) )

Advertisement