Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla have a prototype charger that plugs itself in.

• 06-08-2015 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

See it working here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

perfect for people who are too lazy to plug something in, the wireless charging people might like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

nokia69 wrote: »
    perfect for people who are too lazy to plug something in, the wireless charging people might like it

I think the aim of it is for the car to park itself in your garage, then plug itself in. Then you summon it in the morning and you're off.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    I think the aim of it is for the car to park itself in your garage, then plug itself in. Then you summon it in the morning and you're off.

you might be right

I just don't really see the point, is it really that hard to plug it in yourself

its not as bad as the wireless charging I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Maybe some people are making mistakes and putting DC in when they should be putting AC in.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

you might be right

I just don't really see the point, is it really that hard to plug it in yourself

its not as bad as the wireless charging I suppose

You might be thankful for it on a rainy stormy evening. You can just run inside while the car plugs itself in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe as certain people who have the money to buy the cars are also the people afraid that they'll get electrocuted should they handle it wrongly?

TBi wrote: »
    You might be thankful for it on a rainy stormy evening. You can just run inside while the car plugs itself in.

I can live with a little rain for 30 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I can live with a little rain for 30 seconds

pointless - if it can do it , let do it

these yokes can find their own charging station no problem

and this artic is licenced to drive itself on the road now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Just saw a Tesla model S at a standard charge point with a browned off looking family in it. English reg. They won't be going far on what they can pull out of that.

Roen wrote: »
    Just saw a Tesla model S at a standard charge point with a browned off looking family in it. English reg. They won't be going far on what they can pull out of that.

I don't know about the U.K AC charge points but in Ireland they're all 22 Kw, the Tesla has the option of 2 x 10 Kw chargers but I bet most people wouldn't get the twin chargers. A bit like in Ireland most people won't buy the 6.6 Kw AC charger in the Leaf despite it's huge advantages all they see is the 900 euro extra cost, to me the advantages of faster AC charging far outweigh the 900 cost ! The greatest option on the Leaf !

But even in the Tesla 20 Kw AC charging has huge benefits given our fantastic infrastructure.

Anyway getting back to the auto plug in charge cord, I can see use for this in the years to come as more self driving Tesla's hit the road as the technology gets cheaper it would be highly useful for disabled drivers, the self driving Tesla could be a really good car for disabled people.

But getting out in the rain to plug in a cable ? if I don't like the rain I'm living on the wrong Island !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/the-electric-golf-drives-itself-recharges-at-parking-lot-and-is-controlled-by-your-smartphone-31393543.html

The empty car then slowly moves off. Yes, the empty car starts moving, slowing or stopping to let pedestrians cross in front of it, or a van reverse out of a parking bay.

Then it neatly corners and slips down along the second leg of the rectangular building. It indicates and keeps steadily on.

I'm struck by how it keeps going at a good, safe pace. I check again. There's no one in it. The car is driving itself. It is using on-board cameras and sensors (you don't really see them) and has a 'map' of the building in its system so it is constantly checking one against the other.

It continues until it has nearly completed a full circle - if you can do such a thing in a rectangular parking lot.

Then it slowly navigates itself into a special parking bay.

And it precisely aligns itself over a thick looking mat which, when the car is stopped, inductively charges its batteries.

Davy wrote: »

But it's still going to be a silly overpriced Golf ! and a low range EV, quiet a poor attempt by VW !

The Model S can drive itself at high speeds already, now, today !!! and for about 270+ miles and charge at 120 Kw. Beat that VW !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Beat that VW !!!

But hasn't VW conquered all the challenges of metal-air batteries? :p

cros13 wrote: »
    But hasn't VW conquered all the challenges of metal-air batteries? :p

No one has conquered lithium air batteries yet, they're gen III batteries.

We don't need such ranges but they will (might) offer lighter ev's. And offer the energy density necessary for commercial vehicles, buses, trucks etc.

For the meantime NCA will do the job in Gen II electrics and will be more than enough for most people.

Faster charging smaller batteries with ranges of up to 200 miles would be good. Who needs 400+ miles range ? It's a waste of natural resources.

Advertisement