Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Junior Cert

Options
  • 06-08-2015 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I'll be doing the Junior Cert this coming year and am hoping to get some advice.
    I've done very little work through 1st and 2nd year though I'm prepared to buckle down for the junior cert.
    I was wondering when I should start studying and how long I should study per subject etc.
    I'm aiming for 5 A's and the rest B's.
    Also if anyone can offer study tips etc that would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 20 Lykkelig

jc371 wrote: »
    So I'll be doing the Junior Cert this coming year and am hoping to get some advice.
    I've done very little work through 1st and 2nd year though I'm prepared to buckle down for the junior cert.
    I was wondering when I should start studying and how long I should study per subject etc.
    I'm aiming for 5 A's and the rest B's.
    Also if anyone can offer study tips etc that would be great, thanks.

I'm in the exact same position as you :L I got a study planner last week so I can keep track of what I need to study each week so I'm hoping that will help me keep organised. The main tips I've heard from relatives/teachers etc are to listen in class, do every piece of homework like it's an exam paper, never leave a class without understanding something, to take breaks every so often while studying and to regularly test yourself. I'm starting study on the first Monday of October and I'll probably study two subjects for 30 minutes each a night. In January I'll study two subjects for 40/45 minutes each and then when it's getting close to the exams I'll just study as much as I can :L Make sure you have a good sleep schedule, exercise, eat healthy and try your best not to get too stressed and you'll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

I did my JC this year, and here is what I did:
    Sept-March 30mins x2 subjects each weekday and 30mins x3 on weekends
    Easter Holidays 3 hours a day
    After holidays 40 minsx2 weekdays and 40mins x3 weekends.

Give priority to the most important subjects
    Read alot and listen to radio na gaeltachta

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jc371

Lykkelig wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same position as you :L I got a study planner last week so I can keep track of what I need to study each week so I'm hoping that will help me keep organised. The main tips I've heard from relatives/teachers etc are to listen in class, do every piece of homework like it's an exam paper, never leave a class without understanding something, to take breaks every so often while studying and to regularly test yourself. I'm starting study on the first Monday of October and I'll probably study two subjects for 30 minutes each a night. In January I'll study two subjects for 40/45 minutes each and then when it's getting close to the exams I'll just study as much as I can :L Make sure you have a good sleep schedule, exercise, eat healthy and try your best not to get too stressed and you'll be grand :)

Thanks, and good luck with your studies!
    What results fo you hope to get come June?

Mldj wrote: »
    I did my JC this year, and here is what I did:
    Sept-March 30mins x2 subjects each weekday and 30mins x3 on weekends
    Easter Holidays 3 hours a day
    After holidays 40 minsx2 weekdays and 40mins x3 weekends.

Give priority to the most important subjects
    Read alot and listen to radio na gaeltachta

Good luck :)
    Thanks for the tips, hopefully my notes from class will be good enough though, hate studying from the huge paragraphs in the books. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pay attention in class - full attention.
    Sit apart from mates who distract you. They are not your friends.
    Don't leave a class not understanding something.
    Do all homework as if it was an exam question.
    Get any project or practical work as good as you can possibly get it.
    Miss as few days as possible.
    Under no circumstances drop a level.

This will help you not only for the Junior, but also for the Leaving, as in many Leaving Cert. subjects, a solid Junior Cert. foundation is more than half the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭masterofchess1

you should probably start studying straight away in small bits so you dont have to cram before the exam. Having a schedule should reduce stress and also just remember that it is only a practice run for the lc, dont get stressed as it really isn't worth getting stressed over -look after your health first. I have just finished my exams there in june and in a weird way I kind of enjoyed doing them. It isn't really that important, but try not to disregard it completely.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 20 Lykkelig

Thanks, and good luck with your studies!
    What results fo you hope to get come June?

I think 4/5 As and the rest Bs but I wouldn't mind getting a C or 2 :P What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pay full attention in class and try to miss not ONE day of school - whether it is annoying or stupid etc. If you have a difficulty in a certain subject, for example, I find Irish difficult (I'm doing HL) and I'm gonna get grinds (as well as HL Maths). Thirdly, get revision books. These are the best ones I could find for the subjects:

Irish: Revisewise / Less Stress More Success, Collins Easy Learning Irish Verbs, Shortcuts to Success: Irish Grammar / Graiméar an Draoi

English: Less Stress More Success / Revisewise (only HL), Shortcuts to Success: Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry / Shortcuts to Success: To Kill A Mockingbird (it depends though on the book you're reading)

Maths: Less Stress More Success Paper 1 & Paper 2 (separate books)

Business: Revisewise, Working It Out

History: History Resources & Revision, Revisewise / Less Stress More Success

Geography: Geography in Action (it is not just a textbook, it is also a workbook and a revision book i.e. full of revision questions!), Revisewise / Less Stress More Success, Shortcuts to Success: Maps & Photographs

Science: Science Revision (by John Cullen), Revisewise / Less Stress More Success

French: Revisewise / Less Stress More Success, Collins Easy Learning French Grammar / Complete French Grammar

And if you don't complete the exam papers during your time in school before the JC, it'd be better for you to answer them anyways!

Get as much practice on questions as possible!

Lykkelig wrote: »
    I think 4/5 As and the rest Bs but I wouldn't mind getting a C or 2 :P What about you?

I'm the same, I'd be happy with those results but don't think I'd be satisfied with any less. :P

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll be taking them all on board.
    Do ye think I should write notes for a few months and study after or just study straight from the books? I'm a pretty average student and find it easier studying from notes but not sure if it's worth the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll be taking them all on board.
    Do ye think I should write notes for a few months and study after or just study straight from the books? I'm a pretty average student and find it easier studying from notes but not sure if it's worth the time.

Making your own notes is always worthwhile.

spurious wrote: »
    Making your own notes is always worthwhile.

Great, do you reckon I should write notes for all subjects or just some like Business, Geography, etc.

• Advertisement

All I suppose, though some subjects are easier to understand and remember than others. Note making will stand to you for the LC and for college too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 conorfinn1

I did my junior cert back there in June and I'd recommend to start as soon as you go into it, tie loose ends too so if you need grinds at a subject or help, try and get it if possible as this is your last year and chance to do so for the Junior cert.

Don't listen to people who say the Junior cert isn't important. Any exam you're currently taking is important. Prepare well for the mocks and then prepare yourself and improve from the mocks on forward, plan your year ahead and dont slip, if you do manage to slip and get stressed, just relax for a bit but don't get too carried away.

A good piece of advice too- once you get your exam paper booklets, start them. Don't wait for the class as most of the material you're doing should be done if not nearly done. For example when I got my science papers I started doing them in years rather than sections, so one night i'd get 2014 and maybe half of 2013 done. When you're finished with your exam papers, print out more from examinations.ie and keep on at the questions even ifr you've done them before. I know it's boring looking at the same stuff over and over but it's worth it in the end and its rewarding.

There is a threat called "Notes etc. Do not post any copyrighted material" I cannot post the link as I don't have enough posts on here, but that is a really helpful thread, however as spurious said it's good to make your own notes, because you know 100% what you're talking about.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Currently in the same position. I'm in HL irish but I'm moving down to pass as I'm really struggling in HL. I'm terrible at sitting down and learning a page of irish like the stories, letters, poems etc. Within 10 or 15 minutes I end up distracted and daydreaming. This doesn't really happen in any other subject other than sometimes with French.
    I'm really good at maths and always have been. Always got A's or around 90%. Even with other irish like the verbs and rules in way better at them than the other learning. I think its just the type of learner i am. I'm better at things that have set rules or formulas. Also I havnt any interest in irish anymore so it probably dosnt help the situation.

I was wondering did/does any else have this problem and if so what did you do to help?

Also I was wondering whats the irish pass paper like?

Thanks

Advertisement