Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World of Warcraft: Legion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Useful EXP from the invasions btw. I afked 3 and went from 98 to 99. Of course afking is a bit rude but hey.... sue me.

Trust me people don't notice. The amount of Afk people you see. Especially in Dun Morogh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It really is good EXP. I went up nearly 5 levels in one invasion with a low level priest, and two levels on my lvl80(ish) Druid. I'd be sorely tempted to log in my toons once every 4 hours from work, just to get some free levels. It will get even better once the time between invasions is decreased.

Is there a range as to how close you need to get the EXP? Or is it just in the zone?

Kiith wrote: »
    It really is good EXP. I went up nearly 5 levels in one invasion with a low level priest, and two levels on my lvl80(ish) Druid. I'd be sorely tempted to log in my toons once every 4 hours from work, just to get some free levels. It will get even better once the time between invasions is decreased.

Is there a range as to how close you need to get the EXP? Or is it just in the zone?

I think its the zone, Asmongold put a video up about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0zQ2Kj8Is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The new talent system is infuriating. Changing talents is such a freaking pain mid-raid.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The new talent system is infuriating. Changing talents is such a freaking pain mid-raid.

Thats the whole reason behind it. They didn't want people swapping mid-raid.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Thats the whole reason behind it. They didn't want people swapping mid-raid.

And yet they have talents that prefer one fight type to another that you need to be using. It's just annoying when you want to change things up.

I think its the zone, Asmongold put a video up about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0zQ2Kj8Is

I assume this will be nerfed a bit, especially with the increase in invasions.

On another note, save all your chest rewards till 100. Rewards are based on when you open the box, not when you collect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Invasions are Greatford leveling. I made a fresh character today. When I was lvl12 I walked in To zone with invasion amd thought:ah ****, now o will need to wait for it to be over... Then bang first-rate complete and I got Bazilian XP. After all 4 stages I went from 12 to 16! Needless to say I went asap to find another one. :)
    So many shammy is level 36 now. Purely invasions or resto healing dungeons. Looks like the new system of healing going across all levels and is in low level dumgoes too. So far I am loving it a lot. I think I will just use boost to 100 on shammy after I hit 60 after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've a lvl 60 lock that I'm going to lvl with invasions and will probably take a lvl 27 monk to them as well. The only real hassle is getting a low level char around the place if you don't have a mate handy with a 2 person mount.

I've a lvl 60 lock that I'm going to lvl with invasions and will probably take a lvl 27 monk to them as well. The only real hassle is getting a low level char around the place if you don't have a mate handy with a 2 person mount.

I've a level 10 druid sitting in Teldrassil, while the XP is amazing the thought of hauling him around would put me off doing it.

• Advertisement

Maybe partner with a 90+ with a two person mount? If either of you have Horde characters, and I'm online doing them, I'll happily shuttle you around on my rocket.

It's definitely a pain to get around, but it get's easier once you have flying. It's worth it though. I only get around 1 level per invasion at lvl85, but that's still for 10 minutes work (or 10 minutes afk if you want). I've been logging in on a few of my alts for 30 mins every 4 hours or so, and you can fly up.

Very tempted to level a horde shaman this way. They seem like a lot of fun at the moment.

Ah well, was nice while it lasted. XP gains just took a big nerf. They are more frequent though, so you can still get more XP per cycle.

Ah well, was nice while it lasted. XP gains just took a big nerf. They are more frequent though, so you can still get more XP per cycle.

Yeah, definitely less XP now. Though if you log in, I would just go to invasion before doing anything. Its still free XP. I think they buffet how much of those shards you get too. I am level 43 and I already got like 200. Can't buy anything as dude appears only after you do the invasion thing.

Yeah, it's still grand. I did 3 of them there, while browsing the some sites. Got almost a full level (87-88), so it's no harm doing them. Probably not worth doing unless you have epic flying or portals though.

I believe technically EXP per hour is now increased because whilst the EXP for individual invasions has dropped there are now more invasions and the timer between them spawning has dropped.

The downside is it's now just a pain in the arse to do them all with different characters. I'm probably just going to focus on my lvl 65 char only now.

I've actually been thinking this is a terrible idea. I'm a returning, lower geared char. I was grinding through the content to get new gear seeing as it's all easier nowadays but invasions started and I'm crazy geared now and I've now got nothing to do in game. Why do LFR for no reason.... THat's now the same for all chars unless I feel like grinding for valor for whatever reason. My WoW time for the last few days is pretty much reading whilst my chars sit afk in an invasion.... How much fun is that.....

Yeah, you can get more XP per invasion cycle, it just takes longer. Mob XP has also been greatly increased apparently, but only if you solo it. If someone else tags it, the XP drops massively. So it seems the best way to do it, if stay away from the bosses and just kill the adds...which is utterly stupid, as the whole point of these invasions is supposed to be that you team up with others to drive the Legion back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Ran the DH intro yesterday. Quite enjoyable. Probably not as good as the DK intro but still very good.

As for the class... Not bad. Flashy but I can't be sure about it's overall enjoyment. Seems to be a very basic rotation and I could see it getting boring after a time. Not having a full talent tree available takes away from it I suppose.
    I'll gear it up to 700 via invasions and make a final decision then.

If anyone has not tried it yet, a little bit of advice. Stay away from the Demon Blades talent unless you want to be very bored while waiting for fury to generate.

It's extremely mobile though, which makes it fun to get around. Probably fantastic for leveling old instances.

Noxin wrote: »
    Ran the DH intro yesterday. Quite enjoyable. Probably not as good as the DK intro but still very good.

As for the class... Not bad. Flashy but I can't be sure about it's overall enjoyment. Seems to be a very basic rotation and I could see it getting boring after a time. Not having a full talent tree available takes away from it I suppose.
    I'll gear it up to 700 via invasions and make a final decision then.

If anyone has not tried it yet, a little bit of advice. Stay away from the Demon Blades talent unless you want to be very bored while waiting for fury to generate.

Cant stress that part enough, made this mistake when i read the talent guides and instantly felt slower and less interesting.

• Advertisement

Really, really, loving these Invasions!

Got completely caught up in them after the 'Broken Shore' scenario on my Warlock last night. It was so much fun!

My one complaint is you're very limited as a low level player when doing them on a PvP realm, as you are one-shot cleaved by any and all AoE that players are using on mobs. My poor Disc Priest was getting slapped around by 100s accidentally tagging me or tab-dotting me by pure accident.

I hope they can keep this sort of thing going in Legion. The world feels so alive again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yeah, you can get more XP per invasion cycle, it just takes longer. Mob XP has also been greatly increased apparently, but only if you solo it. If someone else tags it, the XP drops massively. So it seems the best way to do it, if stay away from the bosses and just kill the adds...which is utterly stupid, as the whole point of these invasions is supposed to be that you team up with others to drive the Legion back.

I guess that is because you are looking at it from a levelling viewpoint. If you look at it from the gear/shard viewpoint, you want to end it all asap, so you join the zerg.

If you want to have a reason, just think of yourself as the cleanup crew.

The bosses are annoying for melee classes. Some of them seem to have unavoidable 1 shot mechanics, which is just stupid. Maybe there is some sort of indication of what's about to happen, but with so many people crammed into a small areas, it's damn hard to see them. the rolling ball things that knock you all over the place are hilarious though.

I'm still torn about my main for Legion. Paladin is awfully boring from what everyone is saying, and i think i might shelve it for now (even though he's always been my main toon). Think it's a toss up between my Warlock, Mage and Warrior at this stage.

The bosses are annoying for melee classes. Some of them seem to have unavoidable 1 shot mechanics, which is just stupid. Maybe there is some sort of indication of what's about to happen, but with so many people crammed into a small areas, it's damn hard to see them. the rolling ball things that knock you all over the place are hilarious though.

I'm still torn about my main for Legion. Paladin is awfully boring from what everyone is saying, and i think i might shelve it for now (even though he's always been my main toon). Think it's a toss up between my Warlock, Mage and Warrior at this stage.

Tough choice, Both Mage and Warrior are amazing from what i've read. Warlock not so much.

I'm leaning towards my Warrior to main as i've mained a Mage for the last 2 expansions.

Melee animations are exceptional. I was playing around on my Windwalker Monk and everything is just so crisp and smooth when you're attacking things.

However, Fire Mage is ridiculously strong right now.

The bosses are designed to be zerged down. Not tanked really.

That said, some of them seem to have bugged mechanics. The big pit lord looking mofo for instance has some move called fel strike or some such. The tool tip on it says - strikes for 7-10k and removes all threat from target. However when it hit my tank pala the damage was around 500k. Basically an instant one shot.
    Some of the bosses I can tank quite well if I actually get heals during it which is rare. Others though are one shot insta deaths.

I'm actually really enjoying my Pala but I'm still torn for legion. No idea what to main or level first atm :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Do one invasion you've done them all, great to gear up fresh lvl 100 characters but grows boring very quick.
    I have 7 lvl 100 characters decked out in ilvl 700 gear now :P

Time to decide on a main :P

Looking like a shaman right now, healing will be my focus but its important to enjoy other specs too.
    That's why I feel the shaman for me just pips my monk.
    I enjoy the monk healing gameplay more, also enjoy their melee dps spec windwalker but I dislike tanking so their 3rd spec is out.
    Compare that to the shaman, I enjoy resto for healing [just not as much as monk mistweaver] but then I also enjoy enhancement for melee and elemental for ranges caster.

Tough choice, Both Mage and Warrior are amazing from what i've read. Warlock not so much.

I'm leaning towards my Warrior to main as i've mained a Mage for the last 2 expansions.

Personally I find warriors boring this time round, apart from Fury spec but even that isn't as enjoyable as say DK frost and unholy, or monk windwalker or shammy enhancement for melee gameplay imo.

Meanwhile, dev blue post

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

We agree that our initial change made Invasions too unrewarding for characters who weren’t at max level, so we’ve just applied a hotfix that increases XP gains from killing Legion invaders. Since Invasions are only around for a short period of time, we want them to feel lucrative, and provide incentives to actively participate in them.

You should be seeing a lot more progress on your XP bar for helping your fellow Azerothians fight the Legion now.

• Advertisement

It would be really sweet if they kept these events going, but maybe once a week, for an hour or two, and have the Legion lay siege to a capital city for each faction.

One thing about the invasions is its great to see parts of the old world alive again.

Dcully wrote: »
    Meanwhile, dev blue post

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

We agree that our initial change made Invasions too unrewarding for characters who weren’t at max level, so we’ve just applied a hotfix that increases XP gains from killing Legion invaders. Since Invasions are only around for a short period of time, we want them to feel lucrative, and provide incentives to actively participate in them.

You should be seeing a lot more progress on your XP bar for helping your fellow Azerothians fight the Legion now.

I wonder how good. I got a bunch of lowbies that I guess I could take in and watch them getting raped just to see how much they get.
    Dcully wrote: »
    One thing about the invasions is its great to see parts of the old world alive again.

I think a major part of Legion in general is to bring the old world back to life somewhat. Afaik, a whole bunch of quests send you back out there instead of just the new zones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I am having so much fun just dotting everything in sight at these invasions. It's horrible for Melee though, tag the boss and stay back is the most rewarding tactic, not great team playing but that's down to poor design.

I wonder how good. I got a bunch of lowbies that I guess I could take in and watch them getting raped just to see how much they get.

I think a major part of Legion in general is to bring the old world back to life somewhat. Afaik, a whole bunch of quests send you back out there instead of just the new zones.

The mobs are level adjusted.

The mobs are level adjusted.

The players using AOE and Cleave aren't though :P

• Advertisement

Noticed yesterday that the invasion drops have started giving me warforged versions of the gear. iLVL710. This a new thing?
    Also anyone know a quick place to grab an offhander for my mage? Poor girl was given a sword instead of a staff so she's missing a decent bit o damage without an OH.
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    Thing is, I'm invested in FFXIV at the moment, so I have to ask the other 'mostly retired' folks -- is it worth it?

Truth of it is, I dunno yet. I only played very little of the legion beta. It was enough to get me to buy it but at the end of the day, they could cock it up like they did with WoD.
    I personally don't think they will unless they are trying to kill off the game completely but really, who knows?

Legion hits in 2 weeks. If you want a week of play time before that, send in a support ticket and they'll give you one. You can enjoy the invasions. They're pretty ok. Can only run so many in a row before you get bored but they are a handy enough way to gear up your character for the Legion launch, and more importantly - a way to test out what class / spec you currently enjoy.

Noticed yesterday that the invasion drops have started giving me warforged versions of the gear. iLVL710. This a new thing?
    Also anyone know a quick place to grab an offhander for my mage? Poor girl was given a sword instead of a staff so she's missing a decent bit o damage without an OH.

Truth of it is, I dunno yet. I only played very little of the legion beta. It was enough to get me to buy it but at the end of the day, they could cock it up like they did with WoD.
    I personally don't think they will unless they are trying to kill off the game completely but really, who knows?

Legion hits in 2 weeks. If you want a week of play time before that, send in a support ticket and they'll give you one. You can enjoy the invasions. They're pretty ok. Can only run so many in a row before you get bored but they are a handy enough way to gear up your character for the Legion launch, and more importantly - a way to test out what class / spec you currently enjoy.

There's a ilvl 650 OH book in Tannan that could upgrade to 685 if you're lucky.

Its to the left of the Fel Forge where an elemental is torturing a Drenai.

Also, the Warforged is a nice bonus to have!

Also, also. Karazhan is coming back as a long 5 man dungeon:

There's a ilvl 650 OH book in Tannan that could upgrade to 685 if you're lucky.

Its to the left of the Fel Forge where an elemental is torturing a Drenai.

Also, the Warforged is a nice bonus to have!

Also, also. Karazhan is coming back as a long 5 man dungeon:

Nice. Can grab that later. Cheers.

Yea seen the Kara dungeon being added. Interesting. Quite a few bosses in there so I wonder how long it'll take to complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Was also wondering about an off-hand, thank you :D Another option is to run Mythic Shadowmoon Burial Grounds. Sardonna drops an offhand ilvl685.

Super excited for Karazhan 2.0 :D

So, as a retired WoW'er (who has a nasty habit of at least checking out the latest expansions), I'm tempted to get back to it, however temporarily. When I left in WoD, my Prot Warrior became my new main (had been SP for donkeys years). I'm aware classes are likely considerably different now than they were before, which may or may not infuriate me (I certainly don't look forward to all the UI and addon problems I'll run into, either).

Thing is, I'm invested in FFXIV at the moment, so I have to ask the other 'mostly retired' folks -- is it worth it?

I don't need to be actively playing to tell you that certain WoD and Legion cinematics have... Ruffled some of my feathers (and produced a few genuine, albeit slightly salty, man-tears).

Log into your account on battle.net, contact support and ask for 7 days to come back to see the pre-patch as you're considering buying Legion.

They'll happily oblige, you get to play for a week, and can decide yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Nice. Can grab that later. Cheers.

Yea seen the Kara dungeon being added. Interesting. Quite a few bosses in there so I wonder how long it'll take to complete.

Hopefully it won't be trivial. Those long epic BRD runs back in Vanilla were great, maybe they're trying to get back to more of that with the 5-man Karazhan. The 5-man dungeons in the most recent expansions have been ten-minute runs for the most part, and severely lacking in fun.

If anyone wants to level faster with invasions, go to the docks and get the buff from the Legion into quest. You should be able to 1-shot almost any mob and will get huge amounts of XP. Apparently it works for anyone, not just people with the quest.

Gonna try it this afternoon.

So I got my shammy to 60. Did not used boost yet as I am not decided on professions yet. I got engineering amd mining and after looking at some videos it looks like fun professions. I never ever had engineering lol.

As for invasions now. Looks like if you just ask, then it's crap XP, but real bread and butter is now stage 3. Fond a good spot and kill mobs. 2-4k a pop at my level 40-60 and 10k per solo elite. I actually managed to get more XP in stage 3 then all bonuses put together.

Will reserve judgement - but I have a feeling it'll end up the same way it did for me in WoD. Do the main story, get to max level, AFK in a Garrison inbetween dungeon finder on my tank. If that happens, no worries, can go back to FFXIV.

Well the good thing they're saying about legion is that the Garrison - "Class Order Halls" are a much smaller part then WoD. You'll be sent out into the open world a awful lot more.
    They're trying to avoid that situation of sitting in your garrison waiting on LFG - so they said at least and I'm really hoping they do.
    You're right in that there's not much to do atm. I've now geared my Shaman, Pala, DK and Mage as much as possible with invasions (Still don't understand why they never put shields or offhands in these things).
    Gearing my DH atm but I think I'm just gonna use him as a profession filler. There's nothing wrong with the class. But I already have 2xmelee and 2xtanks maxed out. I don't need another one. Started the WoD quest line on him yesterday and just gonna unlock the Garrison level 2 and put my a jewelcrafting & engineering booth down and throw as many points into both professions as I can over the next week.

Help me out here. Whilst the invasion is on is Stormwind closed for boats to Kalimdor etc? On my now lvl 73 char I fly to the docks, can see the ships coming and going but then I phase into the legion dock, the one with all the 100s running about and there are no ships coming and going. I have to go to Menethil harbor to make it across which is annoying.

EDIT: ignore..... port to shrine... simples....

The invasions are kind of making me think i'll pick my Mage as my main. Portals are just so bloody handy, especially for old world content. Druids will have a similar feature too, which is nice.

The invasions are kind of making me think i'll pick my Mage as my main. Portals are just so bloody handy, especially for old world content. Druids will have a similar feature too, which is nice.

Hopped on my Mage to do the invasions, was like going back to an old Girlfriend.

Now i'm torn.

Hopped on my Mage to do the invasions, was like going back to an old Girlfriend.

Now i'm torn.

Bloody hell I know how you feel. I used my boost on one. When I first started it as frost I was like... meh..
    Then I swapped out to fire and geared up a bit and I'm like.... all hail the mighty pyromaniac. That is some good clean fiery fun.

Must be mentioned here already, but still:
    Chest from invasions roll gear on your current level, not when you got chest.
    I boosted my shaman to 100 amd had full bank of chest stashed. Opened up after dinging 100 and now I instantly got almost full level 100 gear.

Got my Moose on Friday evening, such relief.

• Advertisement
Advertisement