Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teaching 'jobs'

Options
  • 06-08-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

So I have spent weeks and weeks with my partner applying left and right for all types of jobs online on education posts.

One thing that gets my goat is that Nobody has the courtesy to even send a generic rejection letter so we have no ideas. But what's worse is the majority of these applications have to be sent by post! So every application costs 1.25, some of these posts don't even have any jobs available apparently as they already have people lined up for the job but legally still have to advertise the 'job'. We have sent over a 50 postal applications so at least 50 euro some of which to jobs that don't exist.

Asking people with no jobs to apply ONLY by post in this day and age is downright disgraceful especially in this particular job because of the amount of teachers in Ireland at the moment. Last night however I got really passed off as on school said that to be considered for the job a stamped return envelope had to be included ... I just felt it was a real cheeky thing to do. She has only heard back from 3 places 2 rejections and 1 interview. Even the interview school hasn't got back to her.

How can schools just give you guys the run around. If the job is taken don't advertise it and save the teachers with no job a small fortune. Im sorry if I'm ranting but if this were the private sector there would be ructions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I agree with a lot of what you say.

I can understand where there is a genuine job going they'd want paper applications.

However, there are some jobs that are 100% known to be gone, yet they will ask for paper applications and loads of back up information that's not always required for an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

How can schools just give you guys the run around. If the job is taken don't advertise it and save the teachers with no job a small fortune. Im sorry if I'm ranting but if this were the private sector there would be ructions
    The problem is (or was) the people who complained about the small number of times when people were given jobs entirely based on nepotism or where there was a strong suggestion of it (justified or not). These people kicked up a big fuss, making out that it's happening all the time in every school in the country because schools didn't have to advertise or interview for jobs so every time the principal's son/daughter got a job in a school a vocal minority screamed nepotism.

The solution: make it a legal requirement to advertise every job that came up and have interviews for every job. In theory, this gives everyone a fair shot at going to interview and by extension, having a chance of getting the job. In reality, it forces schools/ETBs to advertise and interview for jobs when they already have a perfectly good teacher in place who has probably been doing the exact same job for the previous year or the previous six months or whatever, who knows how the school works, gets on well with students and staff and, most importantly, has already shown that they can do that specific job in that specific school so why would a principal take a risk hiring someone else who might do a better job?

So the job is gone but the school is forced to go through the motions anyway and why? A small number of people with a genuine grievance and a larger (but still small) number of squeaky wheels who couldn't accept that they just weren't the right person for the job they didn't get.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My first three years out, I applied for an average of 500 jobs each year. it's a costly business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

RealJohn wrote: »
    The problem is (or was) the people who complained about the small number of times when people were given jobs entirely based on nepotism or where there was a strong suggestion of it (justified or not). These people kicked up a big fuss, making out that it's happening all the time in every school in the country because schools didn't have to advertise or interview for jobs so every time the principal's son/daughter got a job in a school a vocal minority screamed nepotism.

The solution: make it a legal requirement to advertise every job that came up and have interviews for every job. In theory, this gives everyone a fair shot at going to interview and by extension, having a chance of getting the job. In reality, it forces schools/ETBs to advertise and interview for jobs when they already have a perfectly good teacher in place who has probably been doing the exact same job for the previous year or the previous six months or whatever, who knows how the school works, gets on well with students and staff and, most importantly, has already shown that they can do that specific job in that specific school so why would a principal take a risk hiring someone else who might do a better job?

So the job is gone but the school is forced to go through the motions anyway and why? A small number of people with a genuine grievance and a larger (but still small) number of squeaky wheels who couldn't accept that they just weren't the right person for the job they didn't get.

This is fairly well understood. However, there's no excuse to expect a posted response to an application when only a tiny minority will even be opened, just enough to enable enough to fill an interview panel.

Surely an electronic application would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hockey21

This is fairly well understood. However, there's no excuse to expect a posted response to an application when only a tiny minority will even be opened, just enough to enable enough to fill an interview panel.

Surely an electronic appliycation would suffice.

Im starting to think if somebody has the job already because they have been subbing in the school please don't advertise very disheartening sending out loads of teaching applications cvs and then all your qualifications and the job is gone it's so annoying and costly. Does anybody know when you do get an interview do you get a phone call even if you don't get the job or do they just ring the person who got the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

hockey21 wrote: »
    Im starting to think if somebody has the job already because they have been subbing in the school please don't advertise very disheartening sending out loads of teaching applications cvs and then all your qualifications and the job is gone it's so annoying and costly. Does anybody know when you do get an interview do you get a phone call even if you don't get the job or do they just ring the person who got the job?

No, not necessarily. The height of rudeness but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hockey21

No, not necessarily. The height of rudeness but it happens.

Yeah I agree height of rudeness 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mcgowak3

It really annoys me when they ask for you to print multiples of your application too.... do you primary get that often? Applying is expensive business!

But don't lose heart! My sister went to the UK two years ago with a company and she didn't need any paperwork or anything and got full hours and loads of experience, came back and got a job straight away! It's always an option.

I'm quite optimistic in that is see it as there are still jobs out there, and it's worth applying for everything so you don't miss your opportunity. In the mean time try to get as much experience as you can and make your CV the best it can be!

Need any info from me let me know!

Advertisement