Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Item purchased form USA

Options
  • 06-08-2015 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

I bought two motorcycle alarms from a reputable company in the USA just before Christmas.
    One installed without issue and works fantastically and the other has had regular faults with it since day one, where it will sound for no reason on a daily basis.
    Its been back to them already, at my expense and they couldn't find a fault, even after 6 weeks of testing !!
    Just recently its back to not working at all and has had to be turned off completely.
    I contacted the company and they again tried several things (it can be remotely administered) and couldn't fix it.
    They've again suggested it be returned for testing. I declined and asked for a refund or replacement. Does anyone know what my rights are in this situation and what the best course of action is when dealing with a foreign company that doesn't want to co-operate with the local laws regarding consumer rights ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If the seller doesn't have a significant EU presence then you've no rights enforceable under Irish/EU consumer law. You may have rights under the seller's local law but you'll need to chase that yourself and you may need to open a lawsuit in the US particularly if the contract was formed under the US state's law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You'll need to see what recourse you have in the particular State. The better business bureau may be of some assistance if the State concerned has that facility.

Advertisement