Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

schools in sligo?

Options
  • 06-08-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I am going into Leaving Cert this year, however my dad got a new job in Sligo which is about 40mile from where I currently live so obviously I will have to move schools.

My parents have enquired about schools in sligo but have received a lot of negivate feedback about several schools in the town and anyway I would prefer a school that is mixed sex and there doesnt seem to be many of them in the town so any advice I need high points so I need a decent school !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

St Mary's College in Ballisodare.....

Two all girl schools in town the Ursulne an the Mercy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Sligo Grammar School is coed.
    You'll get negative feedback about every school. In a lot of cases it's not the schools fault!

red sean wrote: »
    You'll get negative feedback about every school. In a lot of cases it's not the schools fault!

Waiting lists for exclusive clubs though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

All of the schools in Sligo are good. If you want a co-ed in town, the Grammar is your only option. Getting the high points is down to you. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

The grammar is fee paying though which unfortunately my parents would not be able to afford.

The three we have nearly narrowed it down to are Colaiste Mhuire, St attractas and St Marys and maybe Coola?

Any opinions on either of them would be extremely helpful particularly St Attractas or Colaiste Mhuire?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Hi Mayogirlie, Welcome to Sligo!! :), it really depends on where you live, I would stay well clear of the Grammer school as this school caters for a certain section of the community. St. Attracta's in Tubbercurry is one of the best schools in the north west, Google their website and see for yourself, best of luck!!!

Colaiste Mhuire and Coola are ok too but St. Attracta's is miles ahead of any of them.

red sean wrote: »

Sean, with respect, the Grammer school will enroll Church of Ireland students first and all other students after that.

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Hi Mayogirlie, Welcome to Sligo!! :), it really depends on where you live, I would stay well clear of the Grammer school as this school caters for a certain section of the community. St. Attracta's in Tubbercurry is one of the best schools in the north west, Google their website and see for yourself, best of luck!!!

Colaiste Mhuire and Coola are ok too but St. Attracta's is miles ahead of any of them.

Thank you, yes I spent a lot of time looking at St Attractas and it seems to have a very impressive academic record and excellent facilities! It kind of seems to be every thing I want and I suppose its probably going to be worth travelling a bit to if its only for one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

I am from Sligo and went to St. Attracta's. I think of all the Sligo schools it is the best option. It opened in 2002 and has all the best facilities.

Academically, it goes above and beyond. In terms of extracurricular activities there is football, basketball, choir etc. Plus there is a gym which 5th and 6th year students can use.

I personally enjoyed my time there, all the teachers are enthusiastic and very helpful should you have any worries or questions about the L.C.

BOBIDGE wrote: »
    I am from Sligo and went to St. Attracta's. I think of all the Sligo schools it is the best option. It opened in 2002 and has all the best facilities.

Academically, it goes above and beyond. In terms of extracurricular activities there is football, basketball, choir etc. Plus there is a gym which 5th and 6th year students can use.

I personally enjoyed my time there, all the teachers are enthusiastic and very helpful should you have any worries or questions about the L.C.

Thank you so much! St Attractas certainly looks spectacular when driving past it. The subject choice is also appealing at the moment as its the only school in the county which offers all of my subjects. I didn't know about the gym that definitely would be beneficial :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Sean, with respect, the Grammer school will enroll Church of Ireland students first and all other students after that.

Sligo GS will enroll students from a protestant background first (not a Church of Ireland background) as it has a "protestant ethos", similarly, St Attracta's which has a "catholic ethos", will enroll catholic students first and all other students after that. The truth is that non protestants probably form a majority in the GS, while I guess at least 95% of St Attracta's student population are catholics.

Can you please explain why the OP should "stay well clear" of protestants or a "a certain section of the community" as you euphemistically term them, have they something catching?

Ballinode College is also co-ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭samsid

hard to believe schools can still be judged on religious beliefs. It's over 30 years since I left Sligo Post Primary & Technical College,
    since Ballinode College, & I wonder has the name changed again recently? Back then, the Catholics & Protestants mentality, had begun to wane, among my peers, disgruntled post punk teens, anyway. One great teacher there, & former Mayor of Sligo, John Harrison,
    taught us people are all the same, speak as you find,form your own opinions rather than rely on those of others. Back then there was always schoolboy rivalries, between the three post primaries, but there were also friendships, race creed or colour, never entered into it,
    didn't need to , we were mates. I know this may sound simplistic, but judging a school on how it approaches it's students, includes them in educational choices & supports their choices, creating an atmosphere where students can express themselves, is more important
    in my mind than what way you talk to your God or even if you acknowledge a God, religion is a personal thing, for some a source of comfort & belief, not a badge to wear or a stick to wave. At the end of the day I hope the op finds the school she feels happiest with ,enjoys her time there, & gets the results she wants. Remember the old adage 'Schooldays are the best days of your life' a pity we only realise this when they're gone

Ham Sambo, with respect also, the op did not tell us her religion if any, nor should we need to know.

samsid wrote: »
    hard to believe schools can still be judged on religious beliefs. It's over 30 years since I left Sligo Post Primary & Technical College,
    since Ballinode College, & I wonder has the name changed again recently? Back then, the Catholics & Protestants mentality, had begun to wane, among my peers, disgruntled post punk teens, anyway. One great teacher there, & former Mayor of Sligo, John Harrison,
    taught us people are all the same, speak as you find,form your own opinions rather than rely on those of others. Back then there was always schoolboy rivalries, between the three post primaries, but there were also friendships, race creed or colour, never entered into it,
    didn't need to , we were mates. I know this may sound simplistic, but judging a school on how it approaches it's students, includes them in educational choices & supports their choices, creating an atmosphere where students can express themselves, is more important
    in my mind than what way you talk to your God or even if you acknowledge a God, religion is a personal thing, for some a source of comfort & belief, not a badge to wear or a stick to wave. At the end of the day I hope the op finds the school she feels happiest with ,enjoys her time there, & gets the results she wants. Remember the old adage 'Schooldays are the best days of your life' a pity we only realise this when they're gone

Heavy post dude...the kid just wants "points" man. They cant connect with your vibe. The educational system is letting them down in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭samsid

Kettleson wrote: »
    Heavy post dude...the kid just wants "points" man. They cant connect with your vibe. The educational system is letting them down in that respect.

Just making observations on thoughts that emerged in this thread,I can't fathom how you would decide the usefulness of a post on behalf of another person

Just making observations on thoughts that emerged in this thread,I can't fathom how you would decide the usefulness of a post on behalf of another person

I agree with everything you said. However the OP did ask for a co-ed and a school where she can get good points.

Sligo GS will enroll students from a protestant background first (not a Church of Ireland background) as it has a "protestant ethos", similarly, St Attracta's which has a "catholic ethos", will enroll catholic students first and all other students after that. The truth is that non protestants probably form a majority in the GS, while I guess at least 95% of St Attracta's student population are catholics.

Can you please explain why the OP should "stay well clear" of protestants or a "a certain section of the community" as you euphemistically term them, have they something catching?

Get your facts right - St. Attracta's is a community school, there is no catholic / protestant ethos.

Get your facts right - St. Attracta's is a community school, there is no catholic / protestant ethos.

Some words from the Principal:

"St. Attracta's Community School came into being through the successful amalgamation of Banada Abbey Secondary School and the Marist Convent in 2002. This school continues the work initiated by the Marist Sisters, the Sisters of Charity, Co. Sligo V.E.C. and the Diocese of Achonry, to maintain the ethos which they established in accordance with their vision of Christian Education.

We are, therefore, a Christian Community, committed to educating our students in an atmosphere of mutual respect, integrity, sincerity, honesty and tolerance in partnership with the Board of Management, teachers, parents, ancillary staff and the wider community. St. Attracta's Community School strives to create a caring environment for the holistic development of each individual".

Kettleson wrote: »
    Some words from the Principal:

"St. Attracta's Community School came into being through the successful amalgamation of Banada Abbey Secondary School and the Marist Convent in 2002. This school continues the work initiated by the Marist Sisters, the Sisters of Charity, Co. Sligo V.E.C. and the Diocese of Achonry, to maintain the ethos which they established in accordance with their vision of Christian Education.

We are, therefore, a Christian Community, committed to educating our students in an atmosphere of mutual respect, integrity, sincerity, honesty and tolerance in partnership with the Board of Management, teachers, parents, ancillary staff and the wider community. St. Attracta's Community School strives to create a caring environment for the holistic development of each individual".

Yes a Christian community - an umbrella phrase ie neither Catholic nor Protestant.

At the end of the day, it's a great school with a great track record in terms of results and positive impact in students during their time there.

From the school website
    ' All students of the school are invited to attend a mass themed with the year ahead in mind'

'Up to six of the local parish priests come to the school to hear their confessions'

'School Retreats
    Presently First Years, Second Years, T.Y.’s & Leaving Certs have the opportunity to go on retreat – either in school or at a retreat centre.'

' Organising the pastoral visit of the bishop to the school
    Bishop Kelly attends the school annually to meet and pray with the students. The visit usually includes dialoguing with the bishop on his role in the diocese, discussing how young people can be more engaged in church etc.'

The facts are not mine, they are the facts according to the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

I have cousins who go to this school and they love it, excellent subject choice for LC and generally a great atmosphere! Tubbercurry seems to be quite a Catholic area anyway so why shouldn't they cater for the majority of the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jellypops1

The ethos of the school is almost certainly given away in its name; 'St' Attracta's

Not too sure where you are getting your facts from but my experiences with Church of Ireland primary schools would put anybody off going to the Grammer, It was in the public forum regarding a Church of Ireland school in Collooney a few years back where the Principal of the school abused a number of pupils over a number of years (It finished in the high court). Principal was .. eh..asked to resign.

There are people who are associated with this Collooney school that have connections with Sligo Grammer School, I rest my case.

Not too sure where you are getting your facts from but my experiences with Church of Ireland primary schools would put anybody off going to the Grammer, It was in the public forum regarding a Church of Ireland school in Collooney a few years back where the Principal of the school abused a number of pupils over a number of years (It finished in the high court). Principal was .. eh..asked to resign.

There are people who are associated with this Collooney school that have connections with Sligo Grammer School, I rest my case.

Church of Ireland isn't exclusive in regards to clerical abuse in schools in this country

I agree with your post, however you should try and talk to the Church of Ireland Boards of Management and see what their opinion is regarding my posts.

St. Paul's in Collooney is the name of the Church of Ireland primary school

By your logic, nobody should go to Saint Attracta's either, sure weren't half the teaching staff from St Johns in the 1970/80's imprisoned in recent years for the serious sexual and physical abuse of young boys and isn't there people who are connected to both places, catholic boards of management you know like, nudge nudge, wink, wink.

If you are going to come on here and pretend to know what you are talking about don't make it obvious you are talking through your ar*e by spelling the name of school incorrectly, its Sligo Grammar School not Sligo Grammer School, and at least when you have your nose in your spelling book you won't be on here spreading your stupid innuendos. Jesus wept, he really did.

I'd imagine the op is well sorted by now!

You obviously have a great love for St. Pauls in Collooney and Sligo GrammAr school, but if you take the time to read the following you might pull in your horns a bit and see what I am talking about.
    http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=16873 ;)

By your logic, nobody should go to Saint Attracta's either, sure weren't half the teaching staff from St Johns in the 1970/80's imprisoned in recent years for the serious sexual and physical abuse of young boys and isn't there people who are connected to both places, catholic boards of management you know like, nudge nudge, wink, wink.

If you are going to come on here and pretend to know what you are talking about don't make it obvious you are talking through your ar*e by spelling the name of school incorrectly, its Sligo Grammar School not Sligo Grammer School, and at least when you have your nose in your spelling book you won't be on here spreading your stupid innuendos. Jesus wept, he really did.

• Advertisement

If you are a former St Attracta's student then I am afraid that you are a poor advertisement for the school on many, many levels, lets just leave at that shall we.

Advertisement