Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to secure the ideal rental property?

Options
  • 06-08-2015 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

We are homeowners looking to relocate. A property has just come up in the exact location we want to be. Any tips or advice on how to succeed in getting the property? its being let by an agency and there will be a high demand for it. We have the deposit and rent in advance plus contact numbers for references. We are both working, 2 kids, one in school and one starting college in sept. Any advice will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    JJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

View the house. Hand in a completed file. References both work and form landlords Bank satements full rent plus one month deposit or what ever they ask plus last months rent. BE honest

• Registered Users Posts: 29 OreaM

Mention the fact you are homeowners as you did here

Other than that handlemaster is spot on, just be ready to provide the usual to the agency straight away and slam the deposit on the table straight away.

Explain to the agency employee why you are specifically interested in the area, shows that you have done your homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

View the house. Hand in a completed file. References both work and form landlords Bank satements full rent plus one month deposit or what ever they ask plus last months rent. BE honest

We have never rented before so dont have landlord references. But the references we do have are from work. I suppose its the luck of the draw after that and who we are up against! thanks for your reply. The ad doesnt say that animals arent allowed and we have a dog. He lives outside and is a quiet fella doesnt bark or dig up anything he is nearly 9. is this a big no no when it comes to renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You sound like ideal tenants, have hard copies of references as well as phone numbers, there are some naïve landlords who rely just on hard copies.
    If I were the LL, my concern would be you will purchase a place and move on in the short-mid term, so offer reassurance on that front. Good luck.

OreaM wrote: »
    Mention the fact you are homeowners as you did here

Other than that handlemaster is spot on, just be ready to provide the usual to the agency straight away and slam the deposit on the table straight away.

Explain to the agency employee why you are specifically interested in the area, shows that you have done your homework.

Thanks for the reply! my son goes to school in the area so we have been commuting for a few years. My husband works 2 mins away and im ten mins out the road. I am also from close to the area originally. My daughters college will be a walk away also so all factors pointing towards "perfect tenants " :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 OreaM

Jessie you were mentioning up there that you do not have previous landlord reference, don't worry too much about it.
    Again, bringing up in the conversation that you are homeowner (might need to prove it if the agency worker is a nit) will make this unnecessary :)

That being said, if for some reason you are not successful with this specific property, bit of chit-chat with the agency person could make him think of you if she/he has a suitable property available around

MouseTail wrote: »
    You sound like ideal tenants, have hard copies of references as well as phone numbers, there are some naïve landlords who rely just on hard copies.
    If I were the LL, my concern would be you will purchase a place and move on in the short-mid term, so offer reassurance on that front. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply! we have about 100k in neg eq so we defo wont be selling our house and buying again. This will hopefully be our home for a long time to come. I know that the landlord lives overseas so im hoping she will be interested in long term renters too. the fuel we will save in 2 cars commutting every day will more than cover the revenue and loss of trs, so its a no brainer. Thank you for your well wishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

jessiejam wrote: »
    We have never rented before so dont have landlord references. But the references we do have are from work. I suppose its the luck of the draw after that and who we are up against! thanks for your reply. The ad doesnt say that animals arent allowed and we have a dog. He lives outside and is a quiet fella doesnt bark or dig up anything he is nearly 9. is this a big no no when it comes to renting?

You sounded like ideal tenants until you mentioned the dog. It's a landlord's market. Given the choice, the majority of landlords will choose a tenant without a dog over tenants with dogs. Be prepared to offer an additional pet deposit, at least one additional month's rent. Hope the property is a house, most apartments have rules banning pets, or at least those with the potential to make noise.

athtrasna wrote: »
    You sounded like ideal tenants until you mentioned the dog. It's a landlord's market. Given the choice, the majority of landlords will choose a tenant without a dog over tenants with dogs. Be prepared to offer an additional pet deposit, at least one additional month's rent. Hope the property is a house, most apartments have rules banning pets, or at least those with the potential to make noise.

Ya its a house and hes a quiet dog no trouble and we walk him every night. The house also has a side entrance so the dog would never put foot in the house. Hes too old to rehome and it wouldnt be fair on him at nearly 9 years old. Usually if pets are forbidden it would say in the add. Tbf there was a huge write up on the house plenty of opportunity to specify that. We will ask anyway amd see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Most landlords/agents are not massively influenced by the fact your kids are schooling locally or you working in the area. It's fair to say that generally landlords priorities are:

1) rent paid on time and in full
    2) property well maintained
    3) won't cause headaches/annoyance to neighbours
    4) will be pretty self sufficient (a big one for the agent- won't be ringing agency every day about minor things that tenants are responsible for)

If you can assure the agency of these 4 in the initial chat, back it up with refs and other items mentioned above you will position yourself well. Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement