Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disorderly Conduct AKA football hooligans thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Same as everything really, there will always be a small, scummy minority that get their jollies by trying to kick the head of someone else.

In comparison to what it once was though, not even close IMO.

It's not even close, on these islands anyway, thankfully.

Leeds at Birmingham, 1985, this is what is was like, a real pitched battle...

http://youtu.be/3F4RPI_Aa9g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

English police and media have it nailed on, it happens in england but its not reported.

Europe is not as prepared as english media, only a fool thinks man u play man city and there are no issues. The oul its not in the ground so its a police matter comes in then.

Was at a Leeds/Man U game a few years ago and it was ****ing carnage on the streets, I expected to see mass tabloid coverage of that happened and MOTD commenting on it. Not a ****ing a mention in either, Viduka scored the winner so it was that long ago.

But hey a shamrock rovers fan shouts something and the Herald are all over it.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In fairness I have seen very little in the National Papers to give LOI fans a bad name.

I remember Cork v Bohs game few years ago had trouble from about 2 stupid Cork fans. The coverage it got was small and told the truth, nothing more, nothing less.

In Scotland, Aberdeen v Hibs is always a busy day for police. linfield\ Glentoran and is still a tension filled day too.

It's never going to fully go away, even if you don't want it. Any Irish fan in Prague in 2007 will remember a night where plenty of us got bit of a smashing. Nothing about it when we got back home.

But if its not in the ground it didnt happen. The media will not mention the violence that goes on outside the grounds in England.

Another unfortunate story....was working in Rotterdam in the 90s and the job got me tickets to Ajax/Feyenoord in Amsterdam....me like a spa thinks this is deadly, i got the non fan train into Amsterdam, had a few pints and a few ummm then headed to the match Ajax won 3-0. I had to get the Feyenoord fan train home, the train station was made of glass......not much ****ing left of it by the time i got the train.

Dutch TV slated both fans and the police. It was a bit mental Ajax fans attacked all the Feyenoord fans in the train station, i had to lift my pint a few times. Seriously ****ed up day, pretty sure people died.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I would imagine any evening derby game would still cause trouble. Villa v Birmingham at St Andrews a few years ago, West Brom v Villa last season, Millwall v West Ham, Newcastle v Sunderland, any league cup derby game since it has to be an evening kickoff

The police control over kick off times and bussing people in remotely and bussing them out remotely has a huge effect.

That Leeds v Birmingham game doesn't seem bad by 1985 standards (Luton v Millwall), but I talked to someone who was in the city that night and it went on and on

dfx- wrote: »
    , Newcastle v Sunderland,

Was in Newcastle for one of those derbies, on the friday night we went to a nightclub that didnt close....i didnt make the game but fairly sure the 1000 other lads did.

:o

That Leeds v Birmingham game doesn't seem bad by 1985 standards (Luton v Millwall), but I talked to someone who was in the city that night and it went on and on

There were 145 policemen injured at the Leeds Birmingham game, 125 arrested, and of course 1 teenager killed.

At the Luton Milwall game, there were 31 policemen injured and the same number arrested, and thankfully no fatalities. However it was televised, so people got their first impression of a pitched battle.

When people say today is becoming as bad...it really isn't. There is no chance of scenes like either of those in a ground today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Never went away. The mindset that was adopted was that out of sight is out of mind.

It doesn't happen in or near stadia as much but it still happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

dreamers75 wrote: »
    But if its not in the ground it didnt happen. The media will not mention the violence that goes on outside the grounds in England.

Not sure they can really though. That's the problem. If it doesn't happen inside the ground then it's no different than any incident that happens on a Saturday night in any city. I travel to a lot of away games and it is very rare that you see trouble nowadays. Not surprised to hear the Southampton fans were in bother though. Been to St Mary's and they have a small section of nutters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I love the energy and passion of the Ultras that many of Europes top clubs bring to the game (I'm saying ultras because is there really much of a difference between ultras and hooligans?), some of the choreography and tifo displays are incredible but I hate the whole hooligan culture of ACAB (all cops are bast@rds).
    It's like "how dare law enforcement prevent us from kicking each other's heads in and acting like animals in the streets before and after games"

Read one of those books about West Hams inter city firm a few years ago and it just pìssed me off about these clowns going to games with no interest in the actual match but just there to fight and cause trouble. What exactly is the point? Again, it's all the cops fault for ruining the fun :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Cake Man wrote: »
    Read one of those books about West Hams inter city firm a few years ago and it just pìssed me off about these clowns going to games with no interest in the actual match but just there to fight and cause trouble. What exactly is the point? Again, it's all the cops fault for ruining the fun :rolleyes:

Think Pompey gave the best reason for why Hooliganism in Britain took off, they didnt blame the government or lack of work or the change of culture, pure and simple it was first generation of Britains that were never involved in a major war and they felt they missed out!! strange one

Dont like the way english media are all over it when it happens in Europe but not a single mention when its in UK.

I think local news cover it just not the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Cake Man wrote: »
    I love the energy and passion of the Ultras that many of Europes top clubs bring to the game (I'm saying ultras because is there really much of a difference between ultras and hooligans?), some of the choreography and tifo displays are incredible but I hate the whole hooligan culture of ACAB (all cops are bast@rds).
    It's like "how dare law enforcement prevent us from kicking each other's heads in and acting like animals in the streets before and after games"

That whole ACAB mindset has a lot more to it than just not wanting police to stop fights.

Police indiscriminately attacking fans definitely happens, plus heavy handed policing is almost always going to provoke a response from fans (sometimes it's what police want, I've seen it happen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9n5DtLe7aw

http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/nacional/portugal/detalhe/detencao_violenta_em_guimaraes.html

Spain, France, Netherlands,... have some absolute nutjobs in the police who are often looking for trouble.

The idea that hooligans or ultras or whatever are not interested in the game itself doesn't really hold up, plenty of them follow the club on away games where 'ordinary' fans wouldn't go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There were 145 policemen injured at the Leeds Birmingham game, 125 arrested, and of course 1 teenager killed.

At the Luton Milwall game, there were 31 policemen injured and the same number arrested, and thankfully no fatalities. However it was televised, so people got their first impression of a pitched battle.

When people say today is becoming as bad...it really isn't. There is no chance of scenes like either of those in a ground today.

It's six of one half dozen of another situation I suppose. Only one 'side' engaged the police in Luton whereas both did in Birmingham, the Luton game was halted and delayed because of rioting and Leeds probably would've been thrown out of the league had that been the only incident that day.

Police had more control outside of the ground in Birmingham whereas the surrounding homes/area behind that stand in Luton and trains were destroyed where there were no police.

I'll be astonished if Utd v Liverpool still goes ahead at 5.30pm

I'll be astonished if Utd v Liverpool still goes ahead at 5.30pm

Never realised that. That could be very messy. TV must be demanding it. Recall seeing crowd videos of the game they played in the cup. Seats, fireworks, bottles etc getting throw from the upper tiers that day.

Dont like the way english media are all over it when it happens in Europe but not a single mention when its in UK.

I think local news cover it just not the big boys.

They don't want to show it, lest people get the idea that these kind of guys still go to football. Doesn't fit with the shiny image the Premier League wants to portray.

Same with some chants, you actually have commentators apologising to the public for what they may hear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Just seen in twitter that its all kicking off in New Jersey before the New York derby.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Just seen in twitter that its all kicking off in New Jersey before the New York derby.

Saw that too, a bunch of Americans throwing plastic advertising signs and shouting Who are ya :D

I thought you were taking the piss :o:D

https://twitter.com/BreatheSport/status/630492240587194369

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

SS News is reporting that shots were fired at Hertha Berlin's team bus in Germany, on the eve of a German Cup match v Arminia Bielefield. Thankfully nobody hurt.

The NY one is strange. City were only formed in 2013. There has always been a rivalry between NYC and NJ but never crowd trouble. I have been to hockey games between the two and it is only ever verbal. I suspect that they have been watching Green Street and taking it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Berserker wrote: »
    The NY one is strange. City were only formed in 2013. There has always been a rivalry between NYC and NJ but never crowd trouble. I have been to hockey games between the two and it is only ever verbal.

But this is facking soccer, innit?

Totally, bruv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I'm in stitches laughing at this. I think these lads have watched Green Street a few too many times.

How can a club formed about 2 years ago have a big rivalry already? What were their fans doing before the club existed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/11/fenerbahce-mehmet-topal-shot-at-after-training
    The Fenerbahce midfielder Mehmet Topal’s car was shot at by unknown gunmen following training at the Samandıra Can Bartu grounds on Tuesday.

Topal was accompanied by the Fenerbahce youth player Uygar Mert Zeybek in his vehicle when the attack occurred, sources close to the club confirmed.

The two players were near the toll booth on the main road from Samandıra when the car was fired upon. The car’s bulletproof glass prevented the gun-shot from penetrating through the window and causing injury to either player.

Advertisement