Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denis O'Brien gags Waterford Whispers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Oh no, my heart bleeds for Dinny, it would be awful if his empire went the same way as his mentor Tony Ryan in Guinness Peat Aviation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

How does he sleep at night?

Oh yeah, on a big pile of money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Poor auld uncle Dinny

It's been a bad bad week for Lucky Dennis. Probably the baddest damn week in Dennis's lucky world since he had that old codger Mickey Lowry set him up for life with the mobile phone contract. 

First of all Lucky Dennis had to sell off his far eastern pride and joy in Myanmar. You see,Dennis was building lots and lots of mobile masts in anticipation of repeating his successes with Digicel in Haiti, Jamaica and Honduras but something appeared to go wrong and he had to sell the whole shebang off more than likely at a firesale price of $60 million. 

Then of course, we had the biggest event and the one that was going to be the real making of Lucky Dennis. You see Dennis was going to float Digicel on the New York Stock Exchange so that he could capitalise the company and expand beyond his wildest dreams. However it appears that Dennis got a bit uppity as the deal would have allowed him to retain voting rights over 94 per cent of the share capital while selling off a small number of shares to investors.

Wiley Wall Street investors were going to be left swinging with no control having flooded the company with hard cash and Wall Street was having none of it. Dennis, it appears badly misjudged the Wolves of Wall Street. While Dennis wasn't going to make any money out of the deal at this point, he was going to gain credibility with future investors and that alone was a driver for him. What will the Wolves of Wall Street think of Dennis now?

It also appears that Digicel is now sitting on the edge of a very precarious financial cliff. According to its own IPO offering, it stated that while its borrowings were greater than its income, Digicel could pay back their borrowings when they fell due and while that may be true it was also stated that Digicel could possibly become a going concern. Is Dennis's world domination dream beginning to unravel in front of his eyes? 

If anybody should see that old codger Mickey Lowry or in fact anyone of any importance in Fine Gael, upon their travels, would you ask them to re-donate the donations that Lucky Dennis gave them in the first place! He needs to pay Charlie Haughey's old gunslinger, PJ Mara who now works for him! 
    It's a long road that doesn't have a turn. Must be all the bad karma we are sending him, keep sending the negative thoughts.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He's probably just not that good a businessman, with or without the karma.

You see, without the bribe that set him up in the first place and special treatment from certain quarters, poor old Dinny would be rather mickey mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Oh no, my heart bleeds for Dinny, it would be awful if his empire went the same way as his mentor Tony Ryan in Guinness Peat Aviation
    A lot of similarity's there with Tony Ryan.

Maybe its time for Dinny to call in Mickey o Leary to get him out of the sh*t and order Inda to get back up on the rostrum of the NYSE to bat for him or Big Phil might re-rout some EU subsidy money to the company in place of flotation cash,sure them farmers wont miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Whatever about wanting to determine who put the USB dossier together, the below is straight up ****ing scary and if the court grants such an order a very bad precedent will have been set
    O’Brien also wants the court to grant an order allowing him to examine more equipment and documents held by Red Flag. He is seeking damages for a conspiracy.

What the fcuk like! He wants courts to grant him and his hired goons permission to act as police basically. Can you imagine the sinister ways in which such an order could be used?

The sooner this cunt gets hit by a bus or something the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Whatever about wanting to determine who put the USB dossier together, the below is straight up ****ing scary and if the court grants such an order a very bad precedent will have been set

What the fcuk like! He wants courts to grant him and his hired goons permission to act as police basically. Can you imagine the sinister ways in which such an order could be used?

Here's a photo of some his hired goons

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Irish_police_on_lunchbreak.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Why would anybody have any right to other people's dossiers etc. Even if we're about them. If kept private why is it an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

tipptom wrote: »
    I know that the tribunal made mistakes in law and he curbed his finding back on those threats but he still surmises that Michel Lowry gave DOB vital information to win the bid for this licence.
    You seem to want to tarnish all the extraordinary amount of evidence about these two characters in the tribunal because Moriarity had to pull back on some of his findings.

It will be interesting to see how Persona get on and what other evidence they come up with because they are on record as to have being complaining about corruption in this process even while the tender was in progress.

There was no facts to Graham Dwyer or Joe o Reilly committing murder either but they were convicted.
    could they be in trouble if the new law as regards outside partners funding claims is got through the dail and seanad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I was wondering about that....is it even legal/constitutional to grant something like that?

• Advertisement

I was wondering about that....is it even legal/constitutional to grant something like that?
    Dinny is not to bothered about that old hocus pocus,he owns Ireland don't you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Feck sake. I have a personal boycott of Topaz. Yesterday whilst in dangerously low levels of fuel I passed about 3 Topaz stations before finding an Esso. Another station on the list to boycott now:(

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/topaz-esso-buyout-2390102-Oct2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Feck sake. I have a personal boycott of Topaz. Yesterday whilst in dangerously low levels of fuel I passed about 3 Topaz stations before finding an Esso. Another station on the list to Coycott now:(

If you seen the wars and bloodshed fought for the petrol you're putting in your car you should probably boycott petrol in your little crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

The Irish times article we were chatting about. There we go, that'll be my name in Dinny's black book. How will I sleep at night. ;);)

In other news, €3 billion Topas buys lossmaking €706 million Esso. Dinny sqeezes the yanks out of the irish oil business. Who would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

What is his long-term strategy? He surely can't be so small and petty that he's throwing a permanent tantrum against a substantial proportion of the population because of ego, can he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mbur wrote: »
    In other news, €3 billion Topas buys lossmaking €706 million Esso. Dinny sqeezes the yanks out of the irish oil business. Who would have thought.

For years everyone thought Tony O'Reilly was a brilliant businessman, until vanity and a huge pile of debt got the better of him.

O'Reilly got emotionally involved in Waterford Wedgwood and spunked half a billion on a doomed business. Didn't anyone tell him that people don't want to buy vastly overpriced, impractical plates and crystal any more?

It's said that Denis has spunked about the same on INM basically because of a personal grudge. Didn't anyone tell him people don't want to buy trashy newspapers any more?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

For years everyone thought Tony O'Reilly was a brilliant businessman, until vanity and a huge pile of debt got the better of him.

O'Reilly got emotionally involved in Waterford Wedgwood and spunked half a billion on a doomed business. Didn't anyone tell him that people don't want to buy vastly overpriced, impractical plates and crystal any more?

It's said that Denis has spunked about the same on INM basically because of a personal grudge. Didn't anyone tell him people don't want to buy trashy newspapers any more?

O that's entirely true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Feck sake. I have a personal boycott of Topaz. Yesterday whilst in dangerously low levels of fuel I passed about 3 Topaz stations before finding an Esso. Another station on the list to boycott now:(

Tell me about it. On my journey home I pass by 2 x Topaz and an Esso. I had been boycotting Topaz a fair while and recently Esso got added to that list. I'm now diverting to bloody Tesco for my petrol :( Things are really bad when you feel that Tesco are the lesser of two evils but at least Tesco make a more honest buck than DoB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

top oil still on the go....
    https://www.top.ie/map/?type=service_station

plenty of places to choose from.
    Top Oil is a family owned Irish business with a 200 year trading history. Top Oil owns and manages its own 55,000 tonne import terminal in Dublin and sells over 1.3 billion litres of fuel throughout Ireland and Northern Ireland every year.

please tell me they have nothing to do with the dobber.

how much does dobber control the market now?
    Surely the competition authority have some say on the matter or even the eu?
    THey certainly had when Ryanair was trying for Aer lingus.

EDIT: I have no idea about airplanes and that biz, but oil im familiar with and to answer my own question i dont think EU competition will do anything to get in the way... too many sticky fingers in the pies.
    What a place huh?

Not sure what part of the country you're in but in Dublin and surrounds it can be difficult to buy fuel if you're boycotting Topaz and Esso. Maxol are less and less these days and the one I did use closed down to facilitate the new Luas extension. Tesco is literally my last option without having to drive miles out of my way.

btw AFAIK Denis got the Aer Lingus contract through his Fine Gael buddies too so all Aer Lingus aviation fuel is supplied by Topaz too. Thats on top of the contracts he got for the Gardai and civil servants, its no wonder their petrol prices are the highest in the market when its the taxpayer footing the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not sure what part of the country you're in but in Dublin and surrounds it can be difficult to buy fuel if you're boycotting Topaz and Esso. Maxol are less and less these days and the one I did use closed down to facilitate the new Luas extension. Tesco is literally my last option without having to drive miles out of my way.

btw AFAIK Denis got the Aer Lingus contract through his Fine Gael buddies too so all Aer Lingus aviation fuel is supplied by Topaz too. Thats on top of the contracts he got for the Gardai and civil servants, its no wonder their petrol prices are the highest in the market when its the taxpayer footing the bill.

I am boycotting Topaz and Esso for a while now, it can be hard at times, but I have a few Maxol garages around me and to be honest, there fuel seems to last longer than the other garages.

I can see some garages closing down, there are 4 garages now on one road around me about 5km long owned by the same man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

What's illegal about keeping information on someone?
    If it is from the public domain. No mention of info being stolen.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/unlawful-conspiracy-alleged-by-obrien-in-court-case-31611468.html

Yesterday, the High Court continued the interim orders for preservation of documents contained in the dossier. These include PDF documents entitled "Who is Denis O'Brien?" and "The Moriarty Tribunal Explainer", along with many Irish and international media articles about the businessman which he contends are mostly unfavourable to him. The dossier also contains a transcript of a Dail debate relating to the Siteserv transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It probably will be under the TTIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Rosebud?

Thats f**ed up. O'Brien is a seriously shady character.

*Grabs popcorn and awaits courier with legal letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

For the younger generation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4hmFPBf-C8

Just musing open.

Sally seems to be very focussed on what she perceives as "them" out to "get her" so my thoughts have turned to the methodologies that were applied long before USBs and IPOs and PIs and pints of Harp.
    Namely boycott and ostracisation.

Supposing Sally owned a newspaper and folk were to suggest that shops refuse to stock it and that advertisers refuse to advertise in it.

Supposing eile, Sally controlled half the forecourts and other fuel services in the country and folk were to suggest that all the public sector fuel card schemes (Gardai, Civil Service, Army, Air Force, Navy, Gov Ministers) were to be spread around the different forecourt operators rather than....

Supposing eile, eile, Captain Cook was refused service in his local Londis, pub, funeral home, because he was a Sally lackey.

Supposing eile eile eile, the dial was moved away from Sally.

Supposing eile eile eile eile the health insurers refused to cover patients for non-anaesthetic surgery in the Brecon Beacons.

There are loadsa equality laws but what laws are been broken here or will Sally's lackies in Gov rush through some " Thou shall not partake in dom-sub water sports with Sally" law.

Just musing close.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This decision is crazy. As it stands, if I create a computer file called 'denis.txt' and copy and paste a news article into it, he can search and seize my computer because I am 'conspiring against him'

That's the end of free speech in Ireland if this is not overturned on appeal

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Details of the already mentioned. Frightening stuff. Underlines the power of money, really.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/1016/735341-denis-obrien-pr-firm-courts/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Nodin wrote: »
    Details of the already mentioned. Frightening stuff. Underlines the power of money, really.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/1016/735341-denis-obrien-pr-firm-courts/

I love this bit:

Asked by Mr Justice Colm mac Eochaidh what urgency there now was to the matter, Mr Cush said Mr O'Brien did not want any more court resources than any other citizen.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This decision is crazy. As it stands, if I create a computer file called 'denis.txt' and copy and paste a news article into it, he can search and seize my computer because I am 'conspiring against him'

That's the end of free speech in Ireland if this is not overturned on appeal

As an aside...

Boards.ie probably needs to decide where it stands on these O'Brien matters because it seems to be (to its credit) one of the few media outlets that isn't censoring discussion on the activities of Mr O'Brien, but this verdict puts that in jeopardy.

For example, I read the verdict and links above and was curious about the background of the Judge in the case in question and looked him up, but I'm hesitant to post my own thoughts on the matter given the minefield this Judge seems to have created.

O'Brien had this story in the Indo yesterday. I think he's on an egotistical power buzz and actually wants everyone to fear him when in fact people are mocking him. He's sort of sending a message out that he has eyes everywhere.

A shady figure indeed and dare I say it a danger to the and a petulant brat who's actions are turning the populace against him. Hopefully he or an associate reads this.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/pr-company-says-its-a-mystery-how-their-computer-files-on-denis-obrien-ended-up-on-usb-stick-which-was-sent-anonymously-to-the-businessman-34115646.html

O'Brien you're a fcuking moron. How'd your recent Digicel IPO go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

you mean something like this....

The Judge in the case Mac Eochaidh is a big Fine Gael man. He ran twice for the party in Dáil and Seanad elections, but was neither successful in 2002 nor 2007

I think its ok to say something like that, cos it in no way reflects his actions or interactions or inactions with Dob.

I also think pink elephants are the leading cause of climate change or global change or warming or colding or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kupus wrote: »
    you mean something like this....

The Judge in the case Mac Eochaidh is a big Fine Gael man. He ran twice for the party in Dáil and Seanad elections, but was neither successful in 2002 nor 2007

I think its ok to say something like that, cos it in no way reflects his actions or interactions or inactions with Dob.

I also think pink elephants are the leading cause of climate change or global change or warming or colding or something like that.

I've no doubt that the Judge acted properly and made his determination as he saw best.... my point though is that given that DOB appears to be taking slight at the idea of people storing/commenting on information already in the public domain it's hard to know what is "acceptable" really.

I fully agree however that no one person or group should have the power to censor information they don't like or stifle debate which is what seems to have happened since the initial wave of lawsuits against the media - virtually every report published on news sites relating to DOB now has the ability to comment disabled. That to me is fundamentally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

In fairness to the judge, he hasn't shown favouritism to the Denis in the past:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/o-brien-and-mckillen-win-temporary-injunction-against-sunday-times-1.1344717
    During the emergency hearing, Mr Justice Mac Eochaidh criticised Mr O’Brien for making “contemptible” comments about Mr Justice Michael Moriarty in the wake of the judge’s tribunal report in 2011 and suggested Mr O’Brien, now seeking the protection of the court, was “in a peculiar position”.
    Mr O’Brien was not present in court, but after a break in the hearing, Mr Burns said he had contacted Mr O’Brien who was “extremely concerned” by the judge’s remarks.

• Advertisement

DOB needs new advisers. He doesn't live here anymore and his ongoing legal actions are making him look like a complete fool, not to mention an uber-bully. It appears that he's become too reliant on his acolytes to inform him of what's going on here and they are probably costing him a fortune. All they have achieved is made him one of the most despised people in Ireland, some feat, given the list of despicable people we already have here including, bankers, developers, et al.

Nevertheless, his actions are worrying, if he succeeds, we can say goodbye to free speech, or even having an opinion on a public figure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I haven't kept up with this over the last few days. Can someone clarify, has DOB succeeded in barring this dossier from coming into the public domain? Or do we still have the possibility of seeing it at some stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

All they have achieved is made him one of the most despised people in Ireland,
    !

No, I'm not having that.

He must be way out in front of the competition in that regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

trashcan wrote: »

No, I'm not having that.

He must be way out in front of the competition in that regard

Reminds me of that great exchange from Fawlty Towers:

Mr Hamilton: "What I'm suggesting is that this place is the crummiest, shoddiest, worst run hotel in the whole of Western Europe -"
    Major: "NO!!!!!!!!! Noooooo, I WON'T have that. There's a place in Eastbourne..."

I haven't kept up with this over the last few days. Can someone clarify, has DOB succeeded in barring this dossier from coming into the public domain? Or do we still have the possibility of seeing it at some stage?

So far, he's just obsessed with getting his hands on it, he hasn't managed to permanently bar it, as I understand it. But he has deep pockets so he can basically do what he likes, especially taking on a small PR firm, they can't afford to fight him off forever. I just don't understand how gathering information can be cause for a legal action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's worrying that a media baron can access forensic copies of all a rivals servers, just because they do their job and keep files on people. or am i wrong?

He's been granted access to the personal phones of employees now too

Madness that any judge would agree to such a measure on the basis that *someone* put together a load of media snippets about O'Brien

Worrying stuff indeed, though in fairness we don't yet know the full facts of what else was in the dossier. If the judge gave this order based on information already in the public domain and nothing else then this is seriously worrying

So far, he's just obsessed with getting his hands on it, he hasn't managed to permanently bar it, as I understand it. But he has deep pockets so he can basically do what he likes, especially taking on a small PR firm, they can't afford to fight him off forever. I just don't understand how gathering information can be cause for a legal action.

He believes its part of a campaign against him. He disputes that he is litigious (yes, really) and the references to the Moriarty tribunal findings. It would actually appear to be a briefing document or folder, which you might give to somebody unfamiliar with Ireland and DOB.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Worrying stuff indeed, though in fairness we don't yet know the full facts of what else was in the dossier. If the judge gave this order based on information already in the public domain and nothing else then this is seriously worrying

How is a judge even expected to determine if stuff on the USB stick was already in the public domain or not? That would require him to investigate matters and confirm sources himself. I doubt very much that he has done so.

It's likely that he's basing his decision to grant the order solely on the advice and opinion of O'Brien's legal team, which itself is worrying.

Has there even been any mention of a garda investigation into any alleged wrongdoing?

The corrupt O'Brien and the money grabbing vultures that surround him are acting as police. I mean even if they don't find anything unlawful, they've been given permission to copy and retain any info on the devices they examine. It's a fcuking disgusting decision that was made by the FG judge.

I still think that he seems to be badly advised, he's making a laughing stock of himself. He should probably just sue Ireland Inc in its entirety and be done with it. Maybe if we all paid a few euro in damages, he'd just go away! Sick of him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

I still think that he seems to be badly advised, he's making a laughing stock of himself. He should probably just sue Ireland Inc in its entirety and be done with it. Maybe if we all paid a few euro in damages, he'd just go away! Sick of him now.

Who is putting him up to it?

Or is it self inflicted?

gladrags wrote: »

Or is it self inflicted?

I'd say there's a bit of a God complex going on, combined with lawyers who will never refuse money.

gladrags wrote: »

Or is it self inflicted?
    Well to be fair you would have to say in this instance that Gavin o Reilly and the ex board of INM would be waiting in the long grass for him at any opportunity.

I'd say there's a bit of a God complex going on, combined with lawyers who will never refuse money.

Much like liz taylor, I'd say it was many a decade since anyone give him an honest opinion. At this stage he'd take it as abuse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement