Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denis O'Brien gags Waterford Whispers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Am I the only one who finds it incredible that he is reported as being richer than Richard Branson, Bernie Ecclestone, Donald Trump and Oprah?

With that in mind, you'd wonder why he'd bother with his propensity for spurious lawsuits.

And you know where he made them billions?

From a dodgy deal he done with fine Gaels Michael Lowry!

The Moriarty tribunal is critical reading for everyone before the next election!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Let's not pretend the hatred for DOB stems from that. It comes from Irish begrudgery mostly. That is just incidental.

No its mostly because he is an (alleged) criminal w******

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Because he's rich??

Govt rightly or wrongly don't want to see wealth leave the country?

Wrongly. He's a tax exile anyway so the only money the government don't want to lose is of a brown envelope variety.
    Let's not pretend the hatred for DOB stems from that. It comes from Irish begrudgery mostly. That is just incidental.

Absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Or let's just pretend Irish people have grown sick of an acceptance of corruption and Denis Obrien is a huge running sore of an example of what can be achieved through corruption ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Because he's rich??

Govt rightly or wrongly don't want to see wealth leave the country?

but a certain person lives as a tax exile in Malta..

Or let's just pretend Irish people have grown sick of an acceptance of corruption and Denis Obrien is a huge running sore of an example of what can be achieved through corruption ???

Yep

Jayop wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me in simple terms why he's not been charged with anything?

Because he has a great "relationship" with Fine Gael!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

There's always a few people on this forum who don't have a problem with rich people riding roughshod all over the law isn't there.

Wrongly. He's a tax exile anyway so the only money the government don't want to lose is of a brown envelope variety.

:eek:
    I didn't say that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

I get the impression DOB is slowly turning into Donald Trump...spurious lawsuits, gag orders, an increasingly comical appearance, tied at the hip to the conservative party of their respective countries....only difference is that in the US, people aren't afraid of making fun of Donald Trump.

Ah there was me thinking the judiciary was supposed to be independent of the legislature. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

There's always a few people on this forum who don't have a problem with rich people riding roughshod all over the law isn't there.

Which laws would you say he broke?

If Fine Gael were anyway political they'd string him along as a loss making sore DNS throw him under the bus just before the next election and clean up on votes

Ah there was me thinking the judiciary was supposed to be independent of the legislature. :mad:

Who do you think appoint the judges and the Garda commissioner (And sack them)?

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the Fennelly report, or is that in the same drawer as The Moriarty Tribunal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Why don't people hate Robbie Keane and Padraig Harrington so? Why did I never hear of people "begrudging" the Nobel Prize winner Seamus Heaney? They've all excelled in their respective fields yet they don't seem to get flak like Denis O' Brien does. I'd nearly be fooled into thinking that it's O' Brien's actions, rather than his success, that result in the intense dislike expressed towards him, and that allegations of begrudgery were simply cynical attempts to stifle discussion. Of course, I know better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

So sad that someone who isn't even resident in this country has control over so much of what happens and is reported here. It scares the hell out of me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

He has very sensitive nipples.

With that in mind, you'd wonder why he'd bother with his propensity for spurious lawsuits.
    Is there a legal equivalent of small cock syndrome? Perhaps he's trying to impress upon us how strong & virile he is.

Don't courts have rules about mad people & serial litigation? I'm pretty sure if I kept trying to sue everyone who made a joke about me, I'd be told in no uncertain terms by a judge to kindly fuck off with myself (or whatever the legal term is).

Or, more worryingly, is it the case that the law is on this guy's side? If the law favours the mega-rich to the extent that they are beyond parody, I think we need to take a second look at that law, lickety split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why don't people hate Robbie Keane and Padraig Harrington so?

Because they are not business people. The Irish don't understand business - they think every business person is corrupt. It's a cultural problem in Ireland. Someone doing well for themselves is to be kicked relentlessly by people, who to be perfectly honest, have not and sometimes have no intention of doing anything for themselves. A lot of the grief O'Brien gets is nothing to do with people's opinions of alleged wrongdoing. It has more to do with the Irish begrudgery malfunction that sadly has come back in the recession again when there was hopes it might have been fading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I like the part of the letter that says..... "our client is a criminal who has managed to evade prosecution to date"

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Wow you haven't seen that through probably.Waterford Whispers are probably the best satitical force in Ireland.I've met Colm Williamson before and by the sound of him Waterford Whispers will be around for a long time to come.If anything it's going from strength to strength.He has rejected offers from RTE to do shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Because they are not business people. The Irish don't understand business - they think every business person is corrupt. It's a cultural problem in Ireland. Someone doing well for themselves is to be kicked relentlessly by people, who to be perfectly honest, have not and sometimes have no intention of doing anything for themselves. A lot of the grief O'Brien gets is nothing to do with people's opinions of alleged wrongdoing. It has more to do with the Irish begrudgery malfunction that sadly has come back in the recession again when there was hopes it might have been fading.
    Michael O' Leary seems to be left well enough alone generally since he went all Mr. Nice Guy on us. And even back in the day he had his fair share of fans. I have a hunch that the whole bribing elected representatives triviality might actually play a significant part in moulding people's opinions of the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Hopefully this goes the way of some 'super'injunctions and gets shared so much on social media that the attention it gets dwarfs the attention it would have received if he hadn't tried to have it taken down. http://i59.tinypic.com/311qm3a.png

No, but they know that this one is. It's been proven in the Tribunal. The only correlation with the huge wave of anti-O'Brien sentiment and the recession is that the findings of the tribunal came out in the middle of the worst of it while his FG buddies were taxing everyone to their balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

plenty of people succeed in business without having their names dragged through every tribunal going. we all know how that phone license was obtained. No-one has problems with how people like Eugene Murtagh, Michael Smurfit and Tony Ryan made their fortunes...theres plenty successful Irish businessmen and women out there who didn't need to do what DOB did to get the foot in the door.
    Disregarding all our concerns with this man as nothing but begrudgery does nothing but paint over the underlying problems with how this country deals with his like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Sure aren't people forever begrudgering that Michael Smurfit fella. Never a day goes by I tell ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

do people begrudge Michael O'Leary because he's rich

DOB only has himself to blame for the what people think of him, and its not because of his wealth, is how he got it, and what he continues to do

Because they are not business people. The Irish don't understand business - they think every business person is corrupt.

Bribing politicians isn't corrupt in the parallel universe you appear to be living in with Dinny then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is bollocks, pure and simple. People don't like any one person to have any more influence than average Joe on the political process - particularly when this comes about because they can buy public policy. Furthermore, people don't like seeing someone who has found to be involved in wrongdoing, not being dethroned and shunned from the aforementioned elite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

He's not actually that fat, just a big lad. I saw him in his lycra at the Wexford cycle last year. Just sayin...

Big boned I suppose? The fall back for any fatty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭The Masculinist

Who signs a letter in the name of the company, it is signed "Meagher Solicitors" (look at the signature).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Valetta wrote:
    Which laws would you say he broke?

Is bribing a minister not a crime, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Why don't we hate Michael O Leary so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The term 'beyond satire' just reached a new level of head'sploding meta-ness here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

OneOfThem wrote: »
    Sure aren't people forever begrudgering that Michael Smurfit fella. Never a day goes by I tell ye.

That started over the Johnston Mooney and O'Brien site, he brought the shít on his own head for greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Who do you think appoint the judges and the Garda commissioner (And sack them)?

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the Fennelly report, or is that in the same drawer as The Moriarty Tribunal?

its probably under the leg of a rickety table.

Who signs a letter in the name of the company, it is signed "Meagher Solicitors" (look at the signature).

Yeah I noticed that, which is why I said "alleged letter from the solicitors" when I linked to it.

It's getting hard to tell the satire from the reality when it comes to Dinny :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Is bribing a minister not a crime, no?

not in Ireland it would seem

BTW this post has nothing to do with DOB, who is perfect in every way possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Why don't we hate Michael O Leary

Never seen any comment regarding corruption about him, hard work got him where he is. Never licked the butt of any politician, and never heard him connected to bent politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

The term 'beyond satire' just reached a new level of head'sploding meta-ness here.
    I know, WW is good but that lawyers letter is the funniest thing I have read in ages. That lawyer is wasting his/her time in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Swift wrote about rich British people buying the children of Irish poor and eating them. No one ever sued him for satire.

Rock on WWN. Keep fighting the good fight.

Never seen any comment regarding corruption about him, hard work got him where he is. Never licked the butt of any politician, and never heard him connected to bent politicians.

Exactly. Some people might slag him off over Ryanair's policies, but he's generally very well regarded probably because he's very straight up. Doesn't hide behind solicitors all the time.

Given we're all hating on poor old Dinny for trying to influence ministers, I've heard more than a few people say we should have O'Leary runt he bloody country. Completely the opposite opinion on him.

Any limited company can do that. A company is a legal person whose officers are 'channeling' it, so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Anyone thnk it's weird the letter has todays date? Surely it would have been sent yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

the letter says take it down by this time or we will sue you, but that doesn't mean even after they've taken it down he wont sue, they suggested his charity in Haiti was not for pure reasons the Daily Mail said similar, got sued and lost because courts said it wasn't based on fact, and had to pay 150k for that http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/denis-obrien-wins-150000-in-daily-mail-defamation-case-29070377.html WW won't be around for long more, its the Haiti thing that will end them.
    I recommend people check out the Vice episode on Haiti - to see the huge level of corruption with so many of the foreign self-'aid' efforts over there.

People literally without running toilets, while billions in cash are sloshing around on mega-infrastructure projects that do virtually nothing to actually help the peoples immediate needs.

It's the same kind of boondoggle foreign 'aid' that Iraq received, where foreign construction companies go in to siphon the free-for-all of money being spent on useless infrastructure projects - and our very own DOB has a very lucrative mobile phone contract there in Haiti.

• Advertisement

Let's hope Fine Gael award him another massive state contract to keep him happy!

The water metering contract and the contract they awarded Topaz to provide the emergency service vehicles with fuel obviously isn't enough!

What else can fine Gael do to keep Denis in he's Malta mansion happy?

Reiver wrote: »
    Swift wrote about rich British people buying the children of Irish poor and eating them. No one ever sued him for satire.

Rock on WWN. Keep fighting the good fight.

I know this was in the US, but I wonder what the law is in Ireland with regards libel and satire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Magazine_v._Falwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Samaris wrote: »
    Hah, I read the article on a mirror. Tbh, I'm not surprised O'Brien's lawyers whacked them. Satire or not, the phrase "libel" has probably been uttered a few times.

SO.....is there also a letter on the way from John Gilligan (or his Solicitor) ? ....This could be the making of a Dream (Legal) Team :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Im surprised he hasn't sued the morriarty tribunal for defamation, at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

The term satire seems to get thrown about a lot these days as a loophole to saying whatever you want. I can out someone in public as a paedophile but as long as I'm in a clown suit it's okay. I'm no fan of DOB, nor do I despise him. I do enjoy WWN too but it seems that instead of putting a bit of spin on a statement and let the readers fill in the blanks, they may have made a completely libellous statement but attached 'in a parallel universe' at the start. The fun of satire is that everyone knows what you're talking about, that's the point. They don't need to say it straight, that's how they operate and how they do what they do. But this article didn't leave anything out at all, it didn't require the reader to fill in the blanks. I think they went a bit far and not because it's DOB, I'd say that about anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement