Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denis O'Brien gags Waterford Whispers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

myshirt wrote: »
    After Vincent Browne goes, who truly will be left to ask the hard questions of the most powerful in society? Who truly has the balls even?
    Yea we really need immediate reform of libel/defamation/free-speech laws in this country - why are no parties campaigning on this? It'd be a hugely popular initiative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Let's hope Fine Gael award him another massive state contract to keep him happy!

The water metering contract and the contract they awarded Topaz to provide the emergency service vehicles with fuel obviously isn't enough!

What else can fine Gael do to keep Denis in he's Malta mansion happy?

Funny, WWN asked just that question on Tuesday.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/08/04/government-to-discuss-what-to-give-denis-obrien-this-time/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Jayop wrote: »
    I know this was in the US, but I wonder what the law is in Ireland with regards libel and satire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Magazine_v._Falwell

No it doesn't apply here. We have much stricter libel laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Sky King wrote: »
    Anyone thnk it's weird the letter has todays date? Surely it would have been sent yesterday?

The one that was sent to Broadsheet.ie at the end of May was sent by courier I believe, so this one was probably sent the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The term satire seems to get thrown about a lot these days as a loophole to saying whatever you want. I can out someone in public as a paedophile but as long as I'm in a clown suit it's okay. I'm no fan of DOB, nor do I despise him. I do enjoy WWN too but it seems that instead of putting a bit of spin on a statement and let the readers fill in the blanks, they may have made a completely libellous statement but attached 'in a parallel universe' at the start. The fun of satire is that everyone knows what you're talking about, that's the point. They don't need to say it straight, that's how they operate and how they do what they do. But this article didn't leave anything out at all, it didn't require the reader to fill in the blanks. I think they went a bit far and not because it's DOB, I'd say that about anyone.
    It's completely made up....Obrien isn't even in jail :confused:

Or indeed ever likely to face a judge

The term satire seems to get thrown about a lot these days as a loophole to saying whatever you want. I can out someone in public as a paedophile but as long as I'm in a clown suit it's okay. I'm no fan of DOB, nor do I despise him. I do enjoy WWN too but it seems that instead of putting a bit of spin on a statement and let the readers fill in the blanks, they may have made a completely libellous statement but attached 'in a parallel universe' at the start. The fun of satire is that everyone knows what you're talking about, that's the point. They don't need to say it straight, that's how they operate and how they do what they do. But this article didn't leave anything out at all, it didn't require the reader to fill in the blanks. I think they went a bit far and not because it's DOB, I'd say that about anyone.

The only thing that they said in the article that wasn't actually true was that the DPP would have the balls to prosecute him. Everything else is public record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's sad that there isn't true free speech in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

That's brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Fair play to Waterford whispers, think I'll follow them now
    Reiver wrote: »
    Rock on WWN. Keep fighting the good fight.
    They folded!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

The only thing that they said in the article that wasn't actually true was that the DPP would have the balls to prosecute him. Everything else is public record.
    If that's the case and there is nothing there that is slanderous, then it seems his lawyers are insane and so is he. Still skating a little close though. Or they may know a little bit more about the law. I might take this over to the legal forum actually for a bit of clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

If that's the case and there is nothing there that is slanderous, well then his lawyers are insane and so is he. Or they may know a little bit more about the law. I might take this over to the legal forum actually for a bit of clarification.

He had no legal rights to oppose dail privilege either or stop RTE reporting what was said under Dail privilege. He just sent his legal letters to spread fear. It worked.

I haven't read the actual WW piece. I have read the letter from the legal team. Unles that is actual satire (ie written by WW) they have no case at all. Which doesn't mean that people won't back down.

Phoebas wrote: »
    They folded!

To be fair to them they put up about 4 DOB articles a week so taking down one after a letter like that isn't too bad. Hopefully he keeps putting fresh ones up.

Phoebas wrote: »
    They folded!

It's all the one....it's out now and freely available :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

This makes Enda and Joan holding the JesuisCharlie signs even more ridiculous.

Will we see them with JeSuisWWN signs tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Take2Sean

Wouldn't you think he'd have thicker skin at this stage. Surely a PR person somewhere is telling this guy leave it off you're making it worse? It's real vendetta stuff....can't understand the logic of chasing a silly satire website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Having read the WW piece, I don't think it's libelous.

It isn't funny either, but then satire often isn't.

I doubt a law suit would win..... but perhaps WW can't take that risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

ComfortKid wrote: »

Only when we confirm that O'Brien killed all those people..... Just like in Paris.

ComfortKid wrote: »

https://twitter.com/hashtag/JeSuisWWN?src=hash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Take2Sean wrote: »
    Wouldn't you think he'd have thicker skin at this stage. Surely a PR person somewhere is telling this guy leave it off you're making it worse? It's real vendetta stuff....can't understand the logic of chasing a silly satire website

Bullies never give up till they are on their own and meet their match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

It's sad that there isn't true free speech in this country.

hey, check out the first rule on the After Hours charter.. (under Rules and Guidelines)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

can't understand the logic of chasing a silly satire website

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilling_effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Publicity stunt, they went with it by removing the article.

Solicitors letter doesn't mean anything, any normal person would have just thrown it in the bin.

But it's good for hits.

The indo app doesn't seem to have this story up. If they do it's well hidden. IT have it top story....I'm actually deleting the Indo. What a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Jesus his solicitors won't be going bust any time soon. The guy is an absolute cretin.

Between Esat Digifone/Moriarity Tribunal, and the mysterious way which Fine Gael's debt suddenly disappeared in the 90's, he should have seen the inside of a prison cell by now.

If you're reading this DO'B, come and sue me baby. I have €148.25 in my bank account and some socks from Penneys which still have the receipts and are within the 28 day return policy. Come get 'em.

The indo app doesn't seem to have this story up. If they do it's well hidden. IT have it top story....I'm actually deleting the Indo. What a joke

The Indo and Today FM are a disgrace. Newstalk is slightly better imo but not much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

The Indo and Today FM are a disgrace. Newstalk is slightly better imo but not much.

This is the thing, I quite like Matt Cooper but I can't take him seriously seeing as he works in a station owned by DOB, I honestly would love to see what he would have to say about the whole thing if he didn't rely on that pay cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Because he's rich??

Govt rightly or wrongly don't want to see wealth leave the country?

A spell in jail would stop DOB leaving the country for tax purposes.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

never a fan of waterford whispers,

+1.

More "miss" than "hit".

I can never understand the coverage it gets on social media.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    +1.

More "miss" than "hit".

Because several thousand people generally do find it funny or interesting.

Let's not pretend the hatred for DOB stems from that. It comes from Irish begrudgery mostly. That is just incidental.

Strange that only dodgy fukkers and/or arseholes seem to fall victim to the alleged begrudgery of the Irish people!

• Advertisement

Indo app deleted....

padd b1975 wrote: »
    +1.

More "miss" than "hit".

Being fair I agree with you....but they've a big hit here!!

I deleted the Indo app a long time ago. I'm not a Sinn Fein fan, have never voted for them, but the constant criticism of them in the Indo is actually appalling. I just got fed up with the snide stories, sly digs, and general hatred which skutters out of the Indo towards Sinn Fein.

If you're going to call yourself a journalist, an editor, or a newspaper, at least have the fcuking bollocks to report the news impartially. It's a rag masquerading as a broadsheet. It has more of an agenda than the Daily Mail.

I then made the mistake of downloading the Journal app. Crap stories, crap journalism, lazy mistakes, and has a weird "men-are-****, men-are-evil" attitude.

jungleman wrote: »
    I deleted the Indo app a long time ago. I'm not a Sinn Fein fan, have never voted for them, but the constant criticism of them in the Indo is actually appalling. I just got fed up with the snide stories, sly digs, and general hatred which skutters out of the Indo towards Sinn Fein.

If you're going to call yourself a journalist, an editor, or a newspaper, at least have the fcuking bollocks to report the news impartially. It's a rag masquerading as a broadsheet. It has more of an agenda than the Daily Mail.

I then made the mistake of downloading the Journal app. Crap stories, crap journalism, lazy mistakes, and has a weird "men-are-****, men-are-evil" attitude.

The IT seems to be the best of a bad lot. I still glance at the Indo for GAA news and feel guilty every time.

Indo app deleted....

Well done.

Remember he also owns Topaz, the next time you have to fill the car!

The IT seems to be the best of a bad lot. I still glance at the Indo for GAA news and feel guilty every time.

Yeah I had the IT app for about a week last year, but I had to delete because the layout and design was atrocious. Maybe it's improved since then?

Aint working

jungleman wrote: »
    Yeah I had the IT app for about a week last year, but I had to delete because the layout and design was atrocious. Maybe it's improved since then?

I just use the mobile site. It's grand on the iPad but crap on the phone.

Aint working

CLwg6WlWUAAd29R.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The fact that WWN leaked a solicitor's letter with "Private and Confidential" on there was not a good idea at all.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    The fact that WWN leaked a solicitor's letter with "Private and Confidential" on there was not a good idea at all.

I thought if it was addressed to him he'd be entitled to show it to whomever he wants and that the P&C would be in relation to someone other than the intended recipient looking at it without their permission.

Could be wrong.

I'm not entirely sure that you get to send an unsolicited communication to somebody marked, "Private and Confidential", and have any legal or moral expectation for it to remain so.
    I'd be surprised if WW signed a confidentially agreement regarding this letter.

I heard he lost it on the bus, and someone put it up on Twitter!

The scamps!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

So he's blocking made up/joke news??

maybe he doesn't know it's a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder does he have someone employed that trawls the internet 24 hrs a day to see every time his name is mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Moriarty did not make any finding of criminality against O'Brien, which is the clear implication of the WWN article.

Sure, WWN might claim that it's satire about a parallel universe. This is known to lawyers as false innuendo, which is defamatory.

WWN might claim a defence of qualified privilege as a satirical publication; to do so, they would need to show an absence of malice. I'm not sure they could have done so.

It's probably for the best that they took this down. They're doing themselves a massive favour. Plenty of media figures, such as Martin Turner, manage to use satire in a very clever way without exposing themselves to liability in defamation. I suggest WWN take a leaf out of Martin Turner's sketchpad.
    That has near-zero consequence. Just because a person claims a legal threat is private and confidential, doesn't mean their claim carries any weight in legal terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

its just a takeover attempt, wwn has a higher readership than all his publications combined.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

If the maltesian man's affairs weren't dodgy then this wouldn't be happening. There's more that we don't know or his legal aids wouldn't be so bent out of shape. The whole Lowry affair is enough to convince anyone with a brain of this guys character and the way he does business.

Advertisement