Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denis O'Brien gags Waterford Whispers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

That's absurd. The article was satirising the inaction of the DPP on the findings of the moriarty report. The report itself is public knowledge.
    Yes, the report is public knowledge, but almost nobody seems to be aware of the limitations on what it says.

It comes nowhere close to the criminal standard of proof, only finding that certain inferences are "reasonable". That's closer to the level of suspicion required for a Garda to arrest you than to the criminal standard of proof, "beyond reasonable doubt".

The clear implication of the WWN article is that Denis O'Brien deserves to be convicted of a crime. Such a suggestion far exceeds the findings of the Moriarty Tribunal.
    Besides that the case in England was thrown out because of the context. The seriousness or not of the issue was not the question but where in the paper it was placed.
    In fact the two issues are closely related, but to focus on the context, the diary entry purporting to have been written by Elton John was clearly so wacky as to be incapable of seriously risking his reputation. There was no credibility attaching to any of it.

In this case, a strong argument can be made that the article relied on real events in order to impute criminal conduct to O'Brien, for which by rights, he should be punished according to the author. Even if the author's imputation is false, it contains the sufficient minimum credibility in fact as to tend to injure the man's reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Reiver wrote: »
    Who'd win in a scrap? DOB or Trump?

We'd all win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah OK. So in the mean time we just carry on handing out massive state contracts to him. T'is a great wee country.

Change the people in power then. ;)

Let's not pretend the hatred for DOB stems from that. It comes from Irish begrudgery mostly. That is just incidental.

I'm beginning to believe that with all the muppetry you come out with, that you REALLY are Kermit the frog.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

How much cash did he try to get to Lowry? I think it was close to a million but I can't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

kupus wrote: »
    Since he owns everything in Ireland, he can easily sway public opinion with his media empire,
    But how he came about to have a media empire would be very interesting reading
    This is what concerns gobsh1te known as dob.
    Jayop covered this down below....

It would not be very difficult for O'Brien to stop investigative journalists from prying into his buisness affairs.

As they are few and far between,and the litagation threat impedes.

Any journalist attempting to cross swords with this individual,will meet with thee full force of his wealth given power.

In other words,he has the dosh to threaten anyone interested in exposing his underbelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

I find it hard to fathom why D O'B is acting so childish in all these actions, has he no advisor to tell him to stop or take the shovel off him before he digs himself a bigger hole. People have formed their own opinion of him over the MT conclusion. Legal action will not change my mind, and a lot of other people's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I find it hard to fathom why D O'B is acting so childish in all these actions, has he no advisor to tell him to stop or take the shovel off him before he digs himself a bigger hole. People have formed their own opinion of him over the MT conclusion. Legal action will not change my mind, and a lot of other people's.
    I guess it's slightly better than spending his questionable gains on coke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

One of his advisors was on the radio a while ago he hadn't heard of the Streisand effect. He knows what it is now though.

FalconGirl wrote: »
    For a supposedly shrewd businessman, DOB is pretty idiotic on the PR front.......

I wonder if he really is a "shrewd businessman" at all.

He made his fortune from bribing a Fine Gael minister (who was all too willing to "help") and has been courted by that particular party for years.

I think without that relationship, Denis would just be a pretty mickey mouse "businessman".

Or possibly in jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

20Cent wrote: »
    One of his advisors was on the radio a while ago he hadn't heard of the Streisand effect. He knows what it is now though.
    Given his position that is quite amazing that he wouldn't have heard of that.
    He'd be gone from my payroll in the morning :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/08/07/everyone-must-get-sued/

He's threatening to sue Broadsheet now. What a douche.

jungleman wrote: »

"...the damage to his good name and reputation."

:pac: x 1,000.000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

"The Man with a Tiny Penis" thing is quite clever though.

Should make an interesting solicitors letter :)

Nothing new,Broadsheet can handle his waffle by now.

See Catherine Murphy and Siteserv on the Broadsheet site.

Hilarious stuff from Dinny.

All the money in the world has got him nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

When will boards get a letter all the defamation of redacted going on in here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Broadsheet are standing up to him and are refusing to take down the WWN article. Fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

bajer101 wrote: »
    Broadsheet are standing up to him and are refusing to take down the WWN article. Fair play to them.

Seems that they've bothered to read the Defamation Act, unlike O'Briens solicitors.

Seems that they've bothered to read the Defamation Act, unlike O'Briens solicitors.

They're on firmer ground than WWN. WWN said that he was found guilty by the Moriarty Tribunal which could have been enough to make his case. Broadsheet went out of their way to state that it was a satirical piece. Still a brave move though and it is to be applauded. If they do get sued I hope they start a crowdfund for their defence. I'd chip in a few quid.

They're on firmer ground than WWN. WWN said that he was found guilty by the Moriarty Tribunal which could have been enough to make his case. Broadsheet went out of their way to state that it was a satirical piece. Still a brave move though and it is to be applauded. If they do get sued I hope they start a crowdfund for their defence. I'd chip in a few quid.

I get the impression that too many individuals and organisations are walking on egg shells,when it comes to dealing with this individual.

This,as far as I can see,sets a dangerous precedent.

No one individual has the right to exhalt such power over the democratic process,from without.

We have enough problems from within.

If this indivdual is for real,when he threatens litigation on the State,and if he is having such an influence on state affairs,we have a problem.

The question is...

How and why has Denis O'Brien been allowed to exhert such influence,and why is the state not protected from this type of masked dictatorship.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Whoever is writing those letters for Meagher Solicitors is making an absolute tit of themselves and the firm

It's no wonder they're not personally signing off
    "This was a calculated and malicious decision"

What a bunch of fcuking dopes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

gladrags wrote: »
    I get the impression that too many individuals and organisations are walking on egg shells,when it comes to dealing with this individual.

No one individual has the right to exhalt such power over the democratic process,from without.

If this indivdual is for real,when he threatens litigation on the State,and if he is having such an influence on state affairs,we have a problem.

The question is...

How and why has Denis O'Brien been allowed to exhert such influence,and why is the state not protected from this type of masked dictatorship.?

Might have to do with fine Gael being hes bitches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The question is...

The problem is that legal cases are expensive, and he's got more money than most of the people being threatened. They just can't afford to risk a legal action where even if they win there's no guarantee that they won't face a substantial and perhaps ruinous legal bill.

It's bullying by wealth.

And that's why I'm sharing it on loads of media, and hoping others will do the same. I can't wait to see letters going out to every home in the land as he attempts to shut EVERYBODY up! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If he'd only laughed at it all, and made light of it, no one would remember it after ten seconds.

Streisand effect I suppose.

But the undercurrent of bullying every media outlet of whatever sort into submission is disturbing alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Might have to do with fine Gael being hes bitches!

Its exactly that. DOB and Fine Gael have been linked together for over 20 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, but we're here and nobody who can has any interest in changing the status quo.

The problem is that legal cases are expensive, and he's got more money than most of the people being threatened. They just can't afford to risk a legal action where even if they win there's no guarantee that they won't face a substantial and perhaps ruinous legal bill.

It's bullying by wealth.

And that's why I'm sharing it on loads of media, and hoping others will do the same. I can't wait to see letters going out to every home in the land as he attempts to shut EVERYBODY up! :D

He could send them out with the Irish Water bills!

Save himself a few quid!

It's bullying by wealth.

That's exactly it. I actually don't have a problem with him going to court over the Dail privilege stuff as everyone is entitled to redress through the courts. The Gov have the funds to defend that case and he will lose. But bullying WWN like this is out of order. There is no way that Colm Williamson could afford to defend that case. But it looks like this is all backfiring on Voldemort. Not only has the Streisand effect kicked in, people who would normally be fairly ambivalent to him have taken a real turn against him over this. He would now seem to be toxic and no one will want to be seen to do any business with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Old wanky tits up to his old tricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

It's bullying by wealth.

Good, keep at it, and everybody else that reads this thread should do the same.
    You see people buying the indo and the sindo, tell them buy something else,
    You see queues at topaz tell them go somewhere else.
    Boycott this dictator.

He's a parasite on Ireland. But with the mentality of him and his cronies they think they are helping Ireland out.
    No they are not, they are simply filling their own pockets
    Don't pee down my jeans and tell me it's raining.
    I hate that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Nodin wrote: »
    Yeah, but we're here and nobody who can has any interest in changing the status quo.

Finally nodin you and I can agree on something......just don't go and ruin the moment by saying the shinners can help out:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Tony EH wrote: »
    Change the people in power then. ;)

Doesn't matter who is in power - he has been very 'generous' to various parties!

And again, fair play to WWN. Colm Williamson is using the situation to raise a few quid for charity. DOB is really losing this PR battle. It will take more than paying the salary of the Irish football manager for him to get out of this one.

https://twitter.com/ColmWhispers/status/629731086327771136

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Just as well DOB can't read my thoughts about him. He'd not like it at all.
    So sue me.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Just as well DOB can't read my thoughts about him. He'd not like it at all.
    So sue me.

But if he sues you three times you get a free coffee from Topaz.

Well,so long as we all agree then,there is nothing more to be said.

But.

Who was at the helm of FF when money was honey.?

Charlie,thats who,and Charlie had a few mates in the DOB zone,better value bet them all.

Nothing changes,we had a Charlie,we now have a Dinny.

So were is Inda in all of this.?

He's hiding,as is our supposedly democratic government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Well,so long as we all agree then,there is nothing more to be said.

But.

Who was at the helm of FF when money was honey.?

Charlie,thats who,and Charlie had a few mates in the DOB zone,better value bet them all.

Nothing changes,we had a Charlie,we now have a Dinny.

So were is Inda in all of this.?

He's hiding,as is our supposedly democratic government.

Like the last time the man with the small penis tried to sue everyone in the media he said nothing. Enda is the most spineless wimp of a man in the world.

I am very surprised at the ham fisted way that DOB has dealt with the WWN story. I met him once and he was grand and other people who I know who have met him have said he does have a sense of humour. I suspect that the solicitor's letters were nothing to do with him and that the real culprit is his PR guy James Morrissey. I had one dealing with him when he worked in the Evening Herald around 1981. I would love to post the story publicly, but if I did I am sure that I would be getting one of those solicitor's letters. Suffice it to say, I didn't like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

How about promoting a boycott of Meagher Solicitors, since they're happy to associate with DOB and send out frivolous threats on his behalf?

Is there public information on who else does business with Meagher, who could be contacted and encouraged to end their business with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ETHOS

Our team of solicitors works closely together, and our integrated approach is designed to meet our clients' needs.
    We adopt a common sense approach focused on providing our clients with cost–effective, practical advice and solutions.

:pac:

How about promoting a boycott of Meagher Solicitors, since they're happy to associate with DOB and send out frivolous threats on his behalf?

Is there public information on who else does business with Meagher, who could be contacted and encouraged to end their business with them?

What was the famous reply to a similar solicitor's letter where the recipient replied by saying something like, "I would like to draw to your attention that some stupid asshole has been sending out letters pretending to be you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

OTT

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter who is in power - he has been very 'generous' to various parties!

Biffo was appointed to the board of Statoil by #redacted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

OTT
    Why? The solicitors are the ones making money from all these frivolous threats, why not hit them in the pocket, by promoting a boycott of them among business and their identifiable clients, if they're going to engage in threats that cause a chilling effect and damage free speech?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Perfectly obvious the article was defamatory and reprinting it after a solicitors letter had been sent to WWN is a dumb thing to do because no matter what ficticious argument Broadsheet.ie make they will end up in court and a judge won't see it their way.

If something like that was printed about any individual here you wouldn't be feeling the way some of you are.

Perfectly obvious the article was defamatory and reprinting it after a solicitors letter had been sent to WWN is a dumb thing to do because no matter what ficticious argument Broadsheet.ie make they will end up in court and a judge won't see it their way.

If something like that was printed about any individual here you wouldn't be feeling the way some of you are.

Sure you could be Denis o Brien for all we know :eek:

In a Parrallel universe...maybe you are :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sure you could be Denis o Brien for all we know :eek:

muhahahahaha

muhahahahaha

Hmm....evil laugh and all :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I am very surprised at the ham fisted way that DOB has dealt with the WWN story. I met him once and he was grand and other people who I know who have met him have said he does have a sense of humour. I suspect that the solicitor's letters were nothing to do with him and that the real culprit is his PR guy James Morrissey. I had one dealing with him when he worked in the Evening Herald around 1981. I would love to post the story publicly, but if I did I am sure that I would be getting one of those solicitor's letters. Suffice it to say, I didn't like him.
    This the same James Morrissey that Enda launched a book for a few years ago?
    The same Enda that had to be dragged kicking and screaming back to the dail to comment on the Moriarity tribunal findings and was found behind bottle banks in Mayo to comment on the threat to democracy of free speech in our parliament.

Its a small little country we live in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement