Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellblade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Heavenly Sword, Hellblade. Sounds like the two same voice actors for Nariko and Kai from Heavenly Sword, the character looks like Nariko and has the same kind of hair.

If this isn't a sequel/prequel then Ninja Theory aren't being very original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

On the fence with this. Ninja Theory for me were all about bland dull battle systems and awful writing until DMC. That game very almost had a great battle system but was ultimately not as good as the games it was based on. The story was utter gash though. Hopefully they learned a lot from DMC because it was very nearly great. Don't mind if the story is bad if the game is fun but some improvements in that area would be welcome as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Haven't played any of Ninja Theory's previous games (yet anyway, DmC has been on my wishlist a while) so I don't know, this just seemed really fascinating to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

That's a real interesting camera angle for a melee action game :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That looks dog rough, in my opinion. Still a good while before it comes out though so maybe it'll be more polished then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Surprised there hasn't been any talk about this. Released today I think and only costing €30. It looks like a pretty impressive looking game from a team of 13 people and it's picking up pretty decent reviews. Anyone planning on getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just read the IGN review of it (i don't normally read reviews or base anything on them), and i'm intrigued. Sounds like a good experience, even if the running time is relatively short (6 hours). I wonder would it be better to hold off and wait for a VR version, sounds like the kind of game that would suit it.

Plus, the possibility of perma-death and the game deleting your save file for dying too often... Interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Played a bit of this last night. Its definitely an interesting game and I was surprised by the perma death thing. The combat is pretty smooth, and on PS4 Pro, you can choose between 60 FPS and better resolution. Went for 60 FPS for this. The game looks great in this mode and it has so far played smoothly for me on my Pro.

The atmosphere for the game is excellent, and if you have virtual surround sounds headphones or speakers, its well worth using them for this.

What I played so far is that the game is a mix of story, simple puzzles and combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It got an "Essential" review on Eurogamer. This looks like a great game. Short enough though....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr E wrote: »
    Short enough though....

Though? Typically knocks a game up several points in my book :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah fair enough. For €30 you can't complain about a great quality 6 hour game. :)

It got an "Essential" review on Eurogamer. This looks like a great game. Short enough though....

I don't mind it being short, especially at the price, if it's going to be good. After recently slogging through Arkham Knight, I'm happy to play a couple of shorter games and I've just made my way through Inside and Firewatch which were both very short but very satisfying.

Yeah fair enough. For €30 you can't complain about a great quality 6 hour game. :)

It would be nice to see more games like this being made. Short but solid games being sold at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It would be nice to see more games like this being made. Short but solid games being sold at a decent price.

I might actually complete more games if they were like that.

40+ hour collect a thons can sod right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Shadow or Mordor and Titanfall 2 showed me that good campaigns under 16 hours is perfectly acceptable, and in fact, much more appealing to me now

Shadow or Mordor and Titanfall 2 showed me that good campaigns under 16 hours is perfectly acceptable, and in fact, much more appealing to me now

Is Shadow of Mordor a short enough campaign? I bought it but it's been sitting there because I keep thinking it's going to be a multi-mission collectathon slog. I might start on that next…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Padding and filler is almost like a pathological flaw with video games as a medium. Endless respect to the ones that can do their thing without indulging.

Is Shadow of Mordor a short enough campaign? I bought it but it's been sitting there because I keep thinking it's going to be a multi-mission collectathon slog. I might start on that next…

Nah, it's like 14-16 hours long. You can potter about longer (if you want) killing more orc chiefs and collecting parts of a super bow or super sword. But I did all that and was still only at like 18 hours. It flies by too at a handy pace imho

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=18006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Looks amazing, but only 6 hours at full price. I'll wait till it's real cheap.

Sorry it's only 30 Euro. Might give it a go soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Love the permadeath idea. I know many won't, but it's not so long of a game that it will cause you to rage-quit forever. I thought the permadeath in Sunless Sea added a real element of fear and tension to that game, but ultimately that was the wrong sort of game for that mechanic. This seems much better suited.

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    Love the permadeath idea. I know many won't, but it's not so long of a game that it will cause you to rage-quit forever. I thought the permadeath in Sunless Sea added a real element of fear and tension to that game, but ultimately that was the wrong sort of game for that mechanic. This seems much better suited.

I don't mind, but I think they are fools for doing it. Will lose them sales. Hellblade would have been an easy recommendation from me to people who don't game as much, if not for the perma death, which I know will put more casual players off.

I think they should patch in an easy more with no perma death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

wes wrote: »
    I don't mind, but I think they are fools for doing it. Will lose them sales. Hellblade would have been an easy recommendation from me to people who don't game as much, if not for the perma death, which I know will put more casual players off.

I think they should patch in an easy more with no perma death.

I applaud NT for what they're doing here. Far too many games spoon feed us. If you want a casual Hellblade buy Diablo.

I say fair play to them too, everything I've read seems to suggest they've added it for genuine thematic reasons and to add a sense of genuine risk & dramatic weight to proceedings. Also heard the game is generally forgiving enough so the danger just forces you to play with a little more care. Impressive to see a studio introduce a hostile mechanic in the name of the game's overall artistic vision. Making the game they want to make rather than the game 'the market' wants.

I'm a little baffled by the Total Biscuit initiated hostility to it TBF, although frankly that discourse if nothing else seems to be raising the game's profile so in a way it may even be to the developer's benefit.

Hadn't had this on my radar at all, but a lot of critics I really like are saying a lot of good things about it. May have to cave!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Loving the dynamic theme as well.

I applaud NT for what they're doing here. Far too many games spoon feed us. If you want a casual Hellblade buy Diablo.

Doesn't effect me personally (the game is actually pretty easy), but it will hurt there bottom line, and if you want more of these types of games, then the decision isn't the smartest from a financial POV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Heard the story is a bit naff, the writers thinking they are cleverer than they really are. Looks like a lot of fun and visually interesting so definitely going to give it a go. Also I applaud the fact that it's 6 hours long. More games need to stop wasting my time with pointless filler.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wasn't aware of this before yesterday evening when I watched a couple of the trailers on steam. Trailers really sold it to me, production values look unbelievable for a supposed indie game. Surprised and intrigued to hear about the permadeath.

• How did I miss this one. Looks great.

*Edit* Where can you buy it ??

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    How did I miss this one. Looks great.

*Edit* Where can you buy it ??

It's digital only so Steam or PS Store.

• Advertisement

didn't the perma-death mechanic turn out to be a total bluff (i.e: BS to generate column inches) by the devs?

Advertisement