Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a company name

Options
  • 06-08-2015 9:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Was just wondering, in light of the companies act changes, is it easy to change a company mane?

For example, if I have an opportunity and need to quickly set up and register with CRO, can I later easily change the company name and / or AOS & charter or is that stuck for good?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I think you are confusing a couple of things here – activity and name.

Under the new Act the “objects” clause is gone, so a company can conduct any activity it is legally permitted to do. Certain activities, and names, words, etc., need prior approval – e.g. you cannot use Insurance, Bank, etc. or conduct those activities without prior approval. So, if your business is “Steve Manufacturing Ltd” and it has been making paint but it now wants to paint houses or set up a retail operation , it can do so under the existing name without change. (From a marketing perspective that would not be a good idea, but that activity could be carried on as “Steve Manufacturing Ltd. T/A Steve's House Painting" under the existing set-up, no name chane needed, just a registration of the business name of "Steve's House Painting".

However, if you want to change the name to “Steve's House Painting Ltd.” there has to be a special resolution passed by the company and a form filed with the CRO. The CRO also need to approve the new name. It’s just a matter of paperwork and I think a €50 filing fee.

The important thing with a name change is to ensure the company’s paperwork, invoices, bank accounts, etc are brought into line. Not just customers, but suppliers (and their credit insurers) should also be informed and it would be good practice to have a circular prepared explaining what you are doing and why.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thank you, I appreciate the reply.

As I said, I have a an opportunity for some business that would entail registering a company with CRO, say "Steve ltd" but to move on, I would like to be able to change that.
    Consensus would not be an issue as I'd be a sole director, good info re creditors / debtors being informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Steve wrote: »
    Thank you, I appreciate the reply.

As I said, I have a an opportunity for some business that would entail registering a company with CRO, say "Steve ltd" but to move on, I would like to be able to change that.
    Consensus would not be an issue as I'd be a sole director, good info re creditors / debtors being informed.

No problems with that, provided the new name would be available from the CRO. Best of luck with the venture

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Rodney, this time next year we'll all be millionaires...

/dellboy

I think not.

:D

Advertisement