Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger worms

Options
  • 06-08-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I need tiger worms for my composter. Can I collect them from my garden? Is there a method, other than digging, for collecting them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

No ,sorry you can collect them from your garden the worms in your garden are of a different type ( many types of worms who would have thought that). but anyway the worms in your garden are most likely earth worms and earthworm can't be used for worm composting, or kept in an indoor bin in general. they are of a type called "anecic" lead a solitary existence, are soil dwelling worms and create burrows.

you need to collect OR get composting worms more suited to living on the surface or just under it. and don’t burrow deep into the soil you may find them in a heap of manure if your lucky but you can also buy them online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Fishing shops usually sell tiger worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vince murray

Th.anks. Ill try a fishing shop

Mind you, I find a compost pit works better than a compost pile - the worms come swarming in. Just shovel in your compost once or twice a week and cover with a few shovelfuls of earth from when you dug the trench out.

Mind you, I find a compost pit works better than a compost pile - the worms come swarming in. Just shovel in your compost once or twice a week and cover with a few shovelfuls of earth from when you dug the trench out.
    Slow normally composting can you worm but not fully required. Hot compost has no worm as temp get too high.

Worm compost is a different ball game. It makes one of the best soil or compost amendment you can get . worm casting or worm poo is very expensive to buy. We have 5 bins that eat all our kitchen waste and make the most amazing black gold.
    There diet is very different with sand egg shells leave cardboard and greens. .

• Advertisement

Same with a compost pit - put in eggshells, cardboard, greens, onions, even things like citrus peel if it's chopped up small, and it'll be turned into good compost in a few weeks. Adding some extra worms will do good to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is the pit not a rodent magnet though? I just had to (temporarily) remove my compost Dalek and mix the compost into the soil due to some mice taking up residence.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Not a rodent magnet unless you put in meat, fat or cooked potatoes, pasta, etc. If it's just greens and browns - vegetable peelings, coffee and tea grounds and crumpled paper and torn-up cardboard, basically - it's not.

they are not rodent magnets, that is more of a myth that has been hanging around for too long.

We have 3 types of compost worm , hot and cold in our garden and none attrach rodents.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

My plastic compost bins have been gnawed by rodents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

elsie1b wrote: »
    My plastic compost bins have been gnawed by rodents.
    Apart from garden waste, only put in uncooked veg waste. Also beware of fresh veg waste from the kitchen coming in contact with cooked food or being splashed by liquid from meat packaging, etc., causing it to qain scents which will make it attractive to rodents.

By "plastic compost bins" is brown wheelie bins meant? I put chicken bones and rice and so on into them, but normally parcelled up in newspaper. So far, ungnawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shanekbeary

Hi There,
    Am living in Gillogue, County Clare and want to purchase 3-5kg of tiger worms for a trial project. Tried several contacts provided online but am getting no replies and/or 404s. Suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Hi There,
    Am living in Gillogue, County Clare and want to purchase 3-5kg of tiger worms for a trial project. Tried several contacts provided online but am getting no replies and/or 404s. Suggestions welcome.
    https://www.wormery.co.uk/
    Found this online.
    Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi There,

Anyone with horses that have a pile of manure, it will be full of them. Just go in and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shanekbeary

Hi Elsie,
    Thanks for your response. Looked at this whilst researching. was hoping to find a supplier in Ireland, assume from detail these guys are UK based.
    Will bear in mind but hope to find something local.
    Regards
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Hi There,

As said above, the worms sold in fishing shops are generally Tiger Worms. A local fishing shop might point you in the direction of their supplier.

Advertisement