Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite in Brookford?

Options
  • 06-08-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi guys, we are looking at a property in Brookford in Rush and while the estate agent and apparently the owner is quite sure there is no pyrite issue we have spoken to a few people in the area who seem this is an issue in some houses. Can anyone please advise where or how we can find out? I don't want to spend a couple of thousand testing the house (and there is a chance the neighbour has this too anyway). As far as I am aware a few houses have tested positive near this particular property so just wondering if there was someone I could contact to confirm?

Cheers
    TF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

The only way to know for sure is to have the property inspected. You don't need to go the whole hog and get a core test done (€1k-€2k), a visual inspection will cost a few hundred if you are set in that particular house, I used this consultant for similar in mine and can recommend him
    http://www.brackfieldconsulting.com

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TearFairy

Thanks for the info BMJD, the other problem is finding out if the adjoining house is affected also!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

TearFairy wrote: »
    Thanks for the info BMJD, the other problem is finding out if the adjoining house is affected also!

Depending on the type of build that generally doesn't matter, e.g. the foundations are what's compromised and they should be independent of each other. Tat said, when the neighbour is fixed, there will be weeks of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TearFairy

Thanks thesteve, not sure bank would be too willing to go ahead with the mortgage if there is rumour of pyrite around the property and I think we may just walk away. Too big a risk to take!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I know a few people in Brookford and have not heard of pyrite in the estate at all.

Will make a few enquires and get back to you in next few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

LeoB wrote: »
    I know a few people in Brookford and have not heard of pyrite in the estate at all.

Will make a few enquires and get back to you in next few days

Hi LeoB, i'm in a similar position as the OP; just wondering did you ever hear of any pyrite in the Brookford estate? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I live in Rush myself as well. To be honest I the visual inspection. It isn't enough if your spending that type of money.
    We had our own house core tested back in 2012 I think. So thats drilling into the ground, it came back as high amber rating 2nd highest rating you can get. Our BCA (Visual Inspection) was a 0 at the time. Which would mean no pyrite heave visible.
    A separate engineer we got in 2015 gave us the visual rating of 2 as you could clearly see some damage. The main one we have is the floors being very uneven.
    So the only way to be 100% sure is a core drilling test in the house. The seller should pay for it as well it costs 2.5k so they may be unwilling to do this.
    Just for clarity I don't live in Brookford Im in GoldenRidge. Our house should get re mediated this year. Allot of people have buried there head in the sand with this and have not engaged with the pyrite board. Banks and insurance companies have a list of all the estates that have pyrite, they won't issue a mortgage against a house in these housing estates without the house having whats called a green cert which means its rectified. The poster above is 100% correct in regard to a sem-d one with pyrite and the other fixed. The aggregate under the concrete slab in the house is what rises this doesn't affect foundations in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Thanks for the reply Psygnosis. Sorry to hear you got affected by this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

I have worked around Brookford,and have heard of no Pyrite problems on that est.
    Unfortunately Goldenridge and Tayleurs Point were badly effected.
    Have you checked http://www.pyriteboard.ie/ and there was an article in this weeks North county leader on the Pyrite issue ...http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/04/12/over-700-applications-made-to-pyrite-remediation-scheme/
    I could be wrong ,but I could have sworn I read some where that the cost of the core sample could now be claimed back, but I may be wrong .. Hth's ... hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Paulj wrote: »
    Hi LeoB, i'm in a similar position as the OP; just wondering did you ever hear of any pyrite in the Brookford estate? ;)

Have asked a few people and none have any issues with Pyrite.

IIRC Brookford was built before the other estates so not be effected at all. I believe the faulty materials used came from 1 quarry. In some estates I believe not all the houses are effected either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

The quarry that supplied most of the pyrite infill was from north of Balbriggan ,if my memory serves me,the pyrite problem in Tayleurs Point was probably the worst, the floors erupted up,one man coult use the front door for a couple of years and had to take down the internal doors downstairs in the house.
    If memory serves me again ,it was an Northern Irish builder that built Tayleurs Point,and their insurance or version of homebond covered the Pyrite issue,unlike the useless crowd here,but it did take time to get the re mediation process started,but I could be wrong.
    I know in Chapel Farm in Lusk,homeowners were given a choice of fitted kitchen in the process of finishing the remeadiation process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Oceana1

Hi All,
    Unfortunately pyrite in Brookford is an issue - I can't comment as to whether this is across the board or just in some houses but I know of one property that has been accepted to the Pyrite board for remediation and they are awaiting a date for this remediation to take place.

I am attached to this property however did not meet the required rating to be accepted to the Board (according to a Building Condition Assessment "BCA" I had done a year ago) so I am going to get another BCA done to see if the pyrite heave has worsened (hopefully it has!!!) and hope that I get a 2 rating which is the desirable rating to enable application to the Pyrite Board. As of early 2015 I was rated 1.

It is the cost of the BCA that is refundable if you are accepted to the Pyrite Board. I hadn't heard that the core sample cost could be reclaimed but perhaps that has changed now.

Advertisement