Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring from other UK forces

Options
  • 06-08-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys and girls just wondering how often the transferee course comes up for the PSNI or has anyone got wind of applications going out in the near future. I am originally from N.ireland and am currently in a force in England, looking at returning home.

Alfiemoon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Alfiemoon wrote: »
    Hi guys and girls just wondering how often the transferee course comes up for the PSNI or has anyone got wind of applications going out in the near future. I am originally from N.ireland and am currently in a force in England, looking at returning home.

Alfiemoon

Hey, firstly welcome to the boards! Always good to see a new name around.

I am going into Hotel GV in the first intake in the 2nd campaign and there is a lad also joining who is currently in a police force in the mainland. Apparently they no longer allow transfers... its all been stopped.

I directly asked him about it during induction weekend and that is what he told me. Now I would assume he has looked into a transfer much like yourself before slogging it out like the rest of us in the recruitment process.

I think you may just have to apply when the next drive happens.... which by hearsay is sometime in Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I have a boardie friend who's joining the MET but applying for PSNI when the next round of applications comes up so I'd say that they don't transfer any more but then again I know someone who's in WMP CID and he was talking about transferring home so who knows lol!!! You could always ask to be put through to the PSNI recruitment dept and ask them. They'd definitely be the ones in the know besides what's the worst they could say? The

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alfiemoon

Thanks for your help guys. I am in contact with a lady in HR who knows a great deal about the transfer system but has never said that it has been stopped completely. I have 12yrs in the job and didn't really want to start from scratch again. I did look at the application and don't think I have the qualifications to get in. I guess I will have to just hope that the transfer application comes up. I also thought surely this would be a much cheaper option to bring in experienced cops as well as newbies or am I wrong.
    Alfiemoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

There was a transferee process coming to an end when I joined the forum which was Jan 2013 and this was prior to any form of recruitment, other than what I had heard from fam, and I'm pretty certain there was a few on here who did transfer, from what I've been told by fam in the job though is the only folks who stay once transfered is folks from here originally other than that a lot seem to head back to their prior force. I would enquire if you can carry your years service over if you were to start a new, and your incremental pay, I'm pretty certain there is people who have done that this campaign, from mainland forces, they become student officers here but on say a 5 year pay threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

The advice here has to be get in touch with PSNI HR department directly to find out what the story is.

I believe they do accept transfers but only when they open an application process for it. Phone 101 and ask for HR or ask your friend for a contact.

Prior to the 1st campaign, approx 2 years ago they took in about 100 transfers from other forces. There were a lot of highly skilled officers retiring at this stage out of departments such as CID etc and they were worried about there being a knowledge gap and sought to recruit highly skilled officers from other forces. I'm not sure how many of these transfers would have been constables for example.

You also need approx 5-6 years service in your force before you can transfer to PSNI from memory.

Best of luck with it and hopefully something opens up soon for you.

• Advertisement

Just wondered if anyone has heard any more information on transferring from mainland UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Just wondered if anyone has heard any more information on transferring from mainland UK

Coming from fam in the job, doesnt seam to be anything in the pipeline for the foreseeable future dude, I have family based in west mercia who joined there during 50/50 who are now a sergeant and can't get back home, and has constantly seeked info on transferring back. In a couple of weeks a third recruitment campaign is opening up for student officers, so probably nothing for the next 2 years at least, there is folks who have just got in through normal recruitment, that were from the likes of the met, humberside etc and just resigned from their previous home office force and I'm pretty certain they were able to carry over their years carried for pension and also their incremental pay too, however I heard its just significantly cheaper to bring in loads of new student cons on 19k starting rather than longer serving officers approaching 40k, plus the age of the Psni Is rapidly aging average age I heard was around 40 now so new blood is badly needed saying that probably the best port of contact would be HR. A lot of those that transfered prior though have since left and went back to their previous forces but, I heard a lot were promised sergeant promotion as quite a few had already attained or were going through the OSPRE process and that never happened, promotion here seems to be very limited to the point of non existent hence the returns back to other forces, however as I said HR would be your best bet on any info from the horses mouth as they say.

I see the recruitment campaign has started again, has anyone heard any more news about any transfer campaign coming up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Have you asked Recruitment if they were willing to accept transfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

I see the recruitment campaign has started again, has anyone heard any more news about any transfer campaign coming up.

as far as i know they aren't accepting transfers. You have to apply to join as per everyone else. You will keep your current wage and pension and you won't have to complete a probationary period though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement