Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo this weekend

Options
  • 07-08-2015 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi

I was thinking vaguely of taking a last minute trip to Mayo this weekend (really want to see this part of the country!).

However, a quick search on TripAdvisor for Westport and Ballina shows that all but the really expensive hotels, and all B&Bs and Inns which are online, are fully booked.

Out of interest, is there any particular event on this weekend? I can't see anything online. Or is it just a reflection of the tourist season? (and improved economy).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Peak of Tourist season hereabouts.

suggest you contact Westport Tourism Office Bridge St Wpt

There is a lot of self catering accommodation in the area. Atlantic Coast Holidays ( Pat Ayleward ) Distillery Rd Wpr is agent for most of those

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Just head to Westport, loads todo and you will find accommodation. If your on the beer and don't mind where you stay try Dunnings in Westport, cheap and be warned its no Plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I was in Westport last weekend for the bank holiday and I saw a few B&B's with 'Vacancies' signs outside - so you should be able to find something!

It was the best weekend I've ever had, despite the weather - I fell in love with the place.

If you're into this kind of thing, I would HUGELY recommend you hire a bike and cycle the Greenway - I haven't ridden a bike since I was about 10 and was very unsure of doing it but it was the best day I've had in years. Such a laugh and amazingly beautiful scenery. You can hire the bikes from the bike shop at Westport Quay. I got one with a little electric motor on the bike that you can switch on when you're going up hills!

And if you don't find accommodation you could always go to Homestore and More for a half price tent (all camping gear on offer this month) and stay at Westport House - the facilities are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Thanks all for your feedback. I'm going to take another look. Really want to visit Mayo now :). So, if I don't get there this weekend, I definitely will some time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your feedback. I'm going to take another look. Really want to visit Mayo now :). So, if I don't get there this weekend, I definitely will some time soon!

Enjoy! I'm jealous, I want to go back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Have friends from England who stay at the Boulevard every year and absolutely love it

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186627-d577463-Reviews-The_Boulevard_Guesthouse-Westport_County_Mayo_Western_Ireland.html

Call them, and if they dont have room they can probably point you in the right direction

Great thing about Westport is that you can get the train almost to the center of town

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

Would you believe it .. but Mayo isn't just Westport and Ballina .. why not seek out much more inexpensive accommodation in Castlebar or Belmullet and use these areas to visit the whole county |!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Would you believe it .. but Mayo isn't just Westport and Ballina .. why not seek out much more inexpensive accommodation in Castlebar or Belmullet and use these areas to visit the whole county |!!!

The irish tourist board is to blame here.

Advertisement