Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle Half/Full Marathon - 5th Sept 2015

Options
  • 07-08-2015 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing the half or full marathon 5th September? I'm hoping to sign up for the half, depending on how the next 2 weekend long runs go. I'm not looking for a time, just want to run and enjoy the atmosphere and scenery, having been injured for most of May & June.

For anyone who has done the half and full, where are are the toughest hills to be aware of in the half?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've done the full twice and the ultra 3 times. The half is by far the "flattest" of all the options because it's the only race of the three without any significant hills.

There is a fairly long drag up from mile 6 to 8 with about 150 feet elevation gain but you get those spectacular views all the way towards the Skelligs as a reward. There are a lot of smaller ups and downs all throughout the course but nothing major. It's not a fast course but the scenery more than makes up for it, so if you're not looking for time then definitely give it a go.

Elevation profile can be found here: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/47684842

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Cheers for the TFB and the link, that's savage going doing the ultra 3 times!

As for the half, it sounds like a challenging enough route, but doable. It's been a long time since we've been to Dingle for a weekend, so here's hoping the next few weeks go ok, training wise, and I get to run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

RubyK wrote: »
    Cheers for the TFB and the link, that's savage going doing the ultra 3 times!
    He was gonna go for 4 ,but it was getting dark:)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    He was gonna go for 4 ,but it was getting dark:)

Ha ha ultraman1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Doing the full myself- looking forward to it. Looks like a great route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

You doing the full this year TFB?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

I'm doing the half as well. It's as prep for Dublin marathon in October so won't be gong at it too hard. As mentioned before I've heard the scenery is beautiful so looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I'm doing the half as well. It's as prep for Dublin marathon in October so won't be gong at it too hard. As mentioned before I've heard the scenery is beautiful so looking forward to it now!

Same boat as myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

I've done the full twice and the ultra 3 times. The half is by far the "flattest" of all the options because it's the only race of the three without any significant hills.

There is a fairly long drag up from mile 6 to 8 with about 150 feet elevation gain but you get those spectacular views all the way towards the Skelligs as a reward. There are a lot of smaller ups and downs all throughout the course but nothing major. It's not a fast course but the scenery more than makes up for it, so if you're not looking for time then definitely give it a go.

Elevation profile can be found here: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/47684842

Well done on your achievements!
    Just wondering did you notice, were there many walkers doing the half? I love Dingle and this sounds amazing.

Fudge74 wrote: »
    Well done on your achievements!
    Just wondering did you notice, were there many walkers doing the half? I love Dingle and this sounds amazing.

Yes, there will be plenty of walkers.

When I did the Ultra I would go through Dingle about 90 minutes after the start of the full/half and I always caught up with the slowest walkers after 8 miles. The last 2 or 3 miles before the half finish were usually quite busy with walkers and run/walkers (which made this one of my favourite stretches - the rest of the route could be rather lonely!)

• Advertisement

You doing the full this year TFB?

Yes, but ...

I've been injured for the last 8 weeks and am only just back to running. I'll do the full but only as a fun/training run, and it will almost certainly my slowest marathon in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GRoche

Hi TFBubendorfer, Ive been following your blog,
    I'm planning on doing the full in Dingle, ran 20 miles last weekend, the longest I've ever run, I'm scared silly about the hill at mile 22, was dead on my legs at mile 20 not sure where the remaining 6 will come from, not to mention that hill. Do you have any advice, I'd stand on my head drinking a barrel of whisley if someone told me it will help with my mental motivation on the 5th :)

GRoche wrote: »
    Hi TFBubendorfer, Ive been following your blog,
    I'm planning on doing the full in Dingle, ran 20 miles last weekend, the longest I've ever run, I'm scared silly about the hill at mile 22, was dead on my legs at mile 20 not sure where the remaining 6 will come from, not to mention that hill. Do you have any advice, I'd stand on my head drinking a barrel of whisley if someone told me it will help with my mental motivation on the 5th :)

To be honest, most people get over that hill by walking rather than running.

As for being tired after 20 miles in training, I still get that even after 11 years of running. It won't stop you from completing the marathon, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Runninghard

Quick question.
    Does anyone know if it's cups or bottles of water in Dingle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Feeling better about being signed up for this after doing a comfortable frank Duffy 10 mile.

Quick question.
    Does anyone know if it's cups or bottles of water in Dingle ?

Bottles :)

Medal is fab. .really hope I'm recovered and can do the half on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 3D2S

Any word on if there's a finishers top?. Have asked as have others on fb page but no reply. Have done the half a few times, this year goin for the full and lookin forward to another great weekend in Dingle. I'd be very disapointed if there's no top as the tops are always brilliant.

3D2S wrote: »
    Any word on if there's a finishers top?. Have asked as have others on fb page but no reply. Have done the half a few times, this year goin for the full and lookin forward to another great weekend in Dingle. I'd be very disapointed if there's no top as the tops are always brilliant.

On the website it says:
    All runners receive: chip timing, packs sent to your door (ROI only), quality finishers top, quality medal, goody bag, music & entertainment, after party, reduced entry to following year.

50/50 as to whether I'll get to do this, husband is in bother with torn ankle ligaments, so I'm not sure a 3hr+ car journey and a weekend on his feet would be fair on him. Though, I suppose he could rest up on a highstool! Will make a call on it tomorrow.

Best of luck to all, looks like the weather is going to co-operate too :)

• Advertisement

Looks like the weather isn't going to be an issue for us tomorrow.

Best of luck everyone! Hope everyone enjoys it! Looking forward to a quick dip on Inch Beach afterwards ;)

Enjoy. My first half... Nervous enough as I know the terrain.
    Looking forward to the post run pint.

For ppl who are around Dingle on the Sunday. There is horse racing on Beal Ban beach west of Dingle towards Ballyferriter at 3pm
    Is great Craic every year and especially if the weather is great

Just about to hit the road from Tralee to Dingle, looks a fine fresh morning on the side of the horizon anyway. Best of luck everyone can't wait to hear how ye get on!

Really great day out yesterday. Weather conditions almost perfect. Great atmosphere and good banter with the 2hr pacing group. Steady 9minute odd pace up mile 12 which was an epic battle. Wanted to get in under 2 hrs and have 1:58:09 on my watch so happy out with that. Only slight annoyance is that my chip time doesn't seem to have registered and both my gross and net times on the results page is showing at 1:59;27.

Love the medal and tshirt will definitely be worn a lot. Wish I could have stuck around Dingle for the celebrations. Hope some of the folk here made the Hill Grove 😊

Yesterday was an incredible day- I enjoyed every single minute of the full marathon. The organisation, the atmosphere, the people standing out and clapping and offering fruit and drinks- it was all absolutely brilliant.

The race itself was second to none. The views were beyond breathtaking and it really was a shame that you couldn't slow down to take more of it in or it'll affect your time!

For myself I found the first 13 pretty easy, a lot easier than my previous races. Was aiming to keep under 8.15 and was averaging an 8.0. The work started just as the half racers diverted off to their happy finish. The hills from there could be felt but I must say that up until the hill at the 22ish miles I felt like I could run forever. The decline after that hall was such a good feeling.

Was aiming for 3.36 but am absolutely over the moon with my 3.28! My previous best out of 4 marathons was 3.47 so am glad that I've made a good improvement and keep aiming to improve.

Looking forward to reading some other stories from the day. Hope everyone that hung around had a great night.

BTW the pier after the race was a godsend for a quick dip for the legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

My first full, I have done the half here 3 times. I have to say that training for a full is incredibly tough, every little niggle for the last few weeks had been amplified 10 fold because of fear of injury. As per the previous poster I found the first half not too bad and for the first time really appreciated the scenery.

Once the first half finished the reality of the second half hit with that tough ascent. I felt alright until the start of the climb at mile 21/22 and the sun came out up to this the weather was perfect, after that the legs just were not responding I have not experienced that before it was a shock. Thankfully I managed to come in at 3:27 so I was very pleased with that. Wanted to enjoy the last mile but just longed for the finish.

As other posters have stated the support en route was great, the extra water stations were very appreciated. would love to do another full but not sure I have the discipline for the training.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Well done all. Was hoping to do the half myself, but life has been too hectic the past month for training. The missus was glad I missed it, went down to Stradbally today. Maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Really enjoyed the race and recorded a two min PB so was thrilled.
    Wrote up a race report for my log here if you want to have a read.

Was aiming for 3.36 but am absolutely over the moon with my 3.28! My previous best out of 4 marathons was 3.47

Wow that's some chunk off your PB! Fantastic on that tough course you must be buzzing :)

• Advertisement

Was aiming for 3.36 but am absolutely over the moon with my 3.28! My previous best out of 4 marathons was 3.47 so am glad that I've made a good improvement and keep aiming to improve.

That's a massive improvement and there is much more to come - the same effort on a flatter course will lower the time by a few more minutes for sure. Congratulations!

I really enjoyed the day and got on much better than expected (seems to be a theme here). My race report (very long, as always) is here: http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/2015/09/good-news-from-dingle-c-mo-olwill.html

Btw. I don't really give a damn about medals (I have far too many already) but the spinning heart in this one is pretty cool. Thumbs up!

Advertisement