Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using "automatic configuration url" together with "manual proxy configuration"

Options
  • 07-08-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

As title states I want to use "automatic configuration url" together with "manual proxy configuration"

My company has recently brought in a security measure whereas all browser proxies must use "automatic configuration url" in the system proxy in order for browser to work at all.

Of course this have caused problems with some tools I use that need me to set manual proxy to 8080 etc.

Is there a way/tool I can use to chain these two in the system proxy config?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To confirm you're using a URL to a .PAC file yeah?

Download that file, open it in a text editor and check, its likely it contains a list of all the proxy nodes in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

biko wrote: »
    As title states I want to use "automatic configuration url" together with "manual proxy configuration"

My company has recently brought in a security measure whereas all browser proxies must use "automatic configuration url" in the system proxy in order for browser to work at all.

Of course this have caused problems with some tools I use that need me to set manual proxy to 8080 etc.

Is there a way/tool I can use to chain these two in the system proxy config?

A Proxy Auto Configuration file is just a short piece of javascript that decides which proxy to use based on a series of rules (internal server go direct, requests for certain sites go through proxy A, requests from some offices go through proxy B, etc).

The major advantage of this form an IT support point of view is that they can make changes to the proxy configuration without having to visit each desktop to make updates.

If you have an application that requires a manual proxy setting, then ideally you should contact your IT department and get their help in setting it up. If you can't do that (because they're useless, or because you're doing something that they don't want you to do), you can download a copy of the autoconfiguration file directly, and parse out the proxy server addresses and try them that way.

If you haven't been given a specific URL, and the browser is using "Automatically detect", the file should be accessible at wpad.<domainname>/wpad.dat

But be aware that there is a possibility that the proxy server will be configured in such a way that unauthorised applications won't be able to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Why not use two different browsers ?

Eg. I can independently set the proxy server on Chrome and Firefox.

So use one for the automatic proxy, the other for no proxy/manual settings.

Advertisement