Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Overcharging

Options
  • 07-08-2015 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi,

This is more of an observation than a question but it relates to Eircom unscrupulously overcharging when they have been made aware of 'errors' several times by customers. I would like to share what is happening with others as I imagine I am not the only one in this situation. At the start of this year I took out an eircom broadband and talk package which included free line activation. I then found out I was being charged for this but was told that I would be charged but then my account credited. I refused this and was told it wouldn't be a problem. I noticed my bills were higher than expected and on calling up found out that the sign up discount offer was not being applied to my account (not to mention line activation charges being sneaked in); cue much apologies (very courteous staff to be fair) and a promise to fix it asap.

Two months later my bill is back much higher again; after a call to Eircom I find that surprise surprise, the discount isn't being applied. After much apologising and promise to fix it I hang up assuming that surely this time it is sorted one and for all.

Out comes my next bill which is even higher again. After a call *you know the routine* I specifically said to the person I was dealing with to make a note on my service history that if I have to call again about this that it would be to cancel my account.

Lo and behold my next bill is even higher again; after a call today to cancel my account and be reimbursed the fees overcharged I was told that as no complaint had been made they were unable to proceed. A formal complaint is being lodged (I seriously hope this is the case but on track record I wouldn't be surprised if not) and I should hear back within a few days (I think it was 10?). I am not looking for something for nothing; in fact I am just looking to be rid of Eircom as the service from start to finish has been a total joke.

Any time I spoke with the staff I have to say they were very pleasant to deal with; however I was promised several times that my issue would be resolved and it never was. It was only today (while trying to cancel) I was offered that it would be done 'there and then' to which I said no; there was ample time to do it and the fact it can be done so easy leads me to think that the staff are either (a) totally incompetent or (b) powerless or being asked to deliberately overcharge customers for as long as possible.

I have contacted comreg and I would suggest anyone else in the same boat to do so.

The whole thing stinks.

I don't imagine of the Eircom reps will have an answer to this but I am certainly curious to hear their thoughts. Any of them I have dealt with on here have been great so I have to wonder are hands being tied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sakimotosan

Hi,

This is more of an observation than a question but it relates to Eircom unscrupulously overcharging when they have been made aware of 'errors' several times by customers. I would like to share what is happening with others as I imagine I am not the only one in this situation. At the start of this year I took out an eircom broadband and talk package which included free line activation. I then found out I was being charged for this but was told that I would be charged but then my account credited. I refused this and was told it wouldn't be a problem. I noticed my bills were higher than expected and on calling up found out that the sign up discount offer was not being applied to my account (not to mention line activation charges being sneaked in); cue much apologies (very courteous staff to be fair) and a promise to fix it asap.

Two months later my bill is back much higher again; after a call to Eircom I find that surprise surprise, the discount isn't being applied. After much apologising and promise to fix it I hang up assuming that surely this time it is sorted one and for all.

Out comes my next bill which is even higher again. After a call *you know the routine* I specifically said to the person I was dealing with to make a note on my service history that if I have to call again about this that it would be to cancel my account.

Lo and behold my next bill is even higher again; after a call today to cancel my account and be reimbursed the fees overcharged I was told that as no complaint had been made they were unable to proceed. A formal complaint is being lodged (I seriously hope this is the case but on track record I wouldn't be surprised if not) and I should hear back within a few days (I think it was 10?). I am not looking for something for nothing; in fact I am just looking to be rid of Eircom as the service from start to finish has been a total joke.

Any time I spoke with the staff I have to say they were very pleasant to deal with; however I was promised several times that my issue would be resolved and it never was. It was only today (while trying to cancel) I was offered that it would be done 'there and then' to which I said no; there was ample time to do it and the fact it can be done so easy leads me to think that the staff are either (a) totally incompetent or (b) powerless or being asked to deliberately overcharge customers for as long as possible.

I have contacted comreg and I would suggest anyone else in the same boat to do so.

The whole thing stinks.

I don't imagine of the Eircom reps will have an answer to this but I am certainly curious to hear their thoughts. Any of them I have dealt with on here have been great so I have to wonder are hands being tied.
    An update for anyone in the same situation:

After contacting Comreg and making a formal complaint I received a call from Eircom on 13/08/2015; the lady I spoke with was very apologetic and said she could see why I would be agrieved (sound familiar?). She agreed that the contract would be cancelled from then onwards and that there would be no early termination fee and that the money outstanding to me would be reimbursed promptly. I switched provider then and have been with them a month now with no problems whatsoever. I then to my horror received another Eircom bill yesterday for over €111! This from a company I am no longer with, whose services I do not use and from whom I am owed money. I have sent this information onto Comreg again as this is criminal as far as I am concerned. If anyone else is in the same boat then please PM me, if it takes legal action to get them to change their tune then the more the merrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,

The whole thing stinks.

After contacting Comreg and making a formal complaint I received a call from Eircom on 13/08/2015; the lady I spoke with was very apologetic and said she could see why I would be agrieved (sound familiar?). She agreed that the contract would be cancelled from then onwards and that there would be no early termination fee and that the money outstanding to me would be reimbursed promptly. I switched provider then and have been with them a month now with no problems whatsoever. I then to my horror received another Eircom bill yesterday for over €111! This from a company I am no longer with, whose services I do not use and from whom I am owed money. I have sent this information onto Comreg again as this is criminal as far as I am concerned. If anyone else is in the same boat then please PM me, if it takes legal action to get them to change their tune then the more the merrier.
    I'm sorry to hear this happened sakimotosan

I will be happy to look in to the overcharging and arrange appropriate removal of this balance if you would like to PM me your eircom account number.

Thanks
    Al

Hi,

The whole thing stinks.

I will be happy to look in to the overcharging and arrange appropriate removal of this balance if you would like to PM me your eircom account number.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al but that would be the 6th time someone would arrange appropriate removal of balance and reimbursement so I am waiting to hear back from ComReg. Ye have been great on here in fairness but overall the Eircom customer support is seriously lacking. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,

The whole thing stinks.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al but that would be the 6th time someone would arrange appropriate removal of balance and reimbursement so I am waiting to hear back from ComReg. Ye have been great on here in fairness but overall the Eircom customer support is seriously lacking. 
    I understand your feeling on this sakimotosan

However If you change your mind and would like me to provide a swift resolution to this issue please feel free to PM me the details.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Rock 1234

I can't believe that Eircom are are still behaving like this, despite being fined €21,000 by Judge O'Neill on the 27/7/2015. Was any lesson learned?.

• Advertisement

Rock 1234 wrote: »
    I can't believe that Eircom are are still behaving like this, despite being fined €21,000 by Judge O'Neill on the 27/7/2015. Was any lesson learned?.
    Sure it's not Eircom anymore, it's Eir, different crowd! :)

I was told on the 11th of this month that I would get a cheque out for money that I had been overcharged, still no sign of it. I also replied to the email confirming this asking does this mean that my 111 has been taken out illegally by DD as per the eircom bill, no reply. I will be following up with bank statement to the powers that be if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eir: Tony

Rock 1234 wrote: »
    Sure it's not Eircom anymore, it's Eir, different crowd! :)

I was told on the 11th of this month that I would get a cheque out for money that I had been overcharged, still no sign of it. I also replied to the email confirming this asking does this mean that my 111 has been taken out illegally by DD as per the eircom bill, no reply. I will be following up with bank statement to the powers that be if that's the case.
    Hi sakimotosan, I know that we have offered to pursue this previously and understand why you chose not to. Given that issue still unresolved though, if you do change your mind we will chase for you and do all we can here. Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mayo57

Eircom deliberately overcharging.
    #
    I signed up to Eircom now Eir on the 24th August 2015. My contract was for home phone and broadband, €58 per month, €30 for the 1st 6 months and a once off credit of €50. In September I had to contact Eircom re a fault and pressed the wrong buttom. I was amazed to hear I owed them €79.45. I knew this was wrong so when I got through to Anthony I explained myself and what I had signed up for. Anthony put me through to Graham a supervisor, who put me on hold and came back to tell me that Debbie the sales agent had a mistake, she failed to apply the credit of €50 and had charged me €48.50 instead of the €30 she should have charged. I was also charged for voice mail I did not order. He assured me all was in order now as he had sorted it out, he would get the call listened to and Debbie would be reprimanded for her mistake. I would now have €21.45 deduced from the direct debt  and the credit would be applied to my 2nd bill. 

3 days later I get the bill and it is still €79.45. I ring again and speak to Amardiet and he again assures me that I have nothing to worry about that €21.45 will be deducted and the credit will be applied to my next bill. 

€79.45 was deducted from the direct debit.

I ring Eircom and I am put from Billy to Jack and bullied when I ask that they refund the money the stole from the direct debt. 

Emma takes her spite out on me, not Debbie who made the mistake.

I said I wanted to cancel the account as they breached the contract. 

They say they have sorted it out now and if I cancel I will be charged a cancellation fee. 

This overcharging was no mistake, it was deliberate. I was bullied today by Eircom staff and they have point blank refused to cancel the account. Can anyone help me. 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Greglab

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Eir overcharged us €100. They installed the broadband through a third party device on our premises and charged €100 to re-route it when they discovered their error. They refused to refund the money. We have a second broadband supplier that is 10 tim[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]es faster for the same price. Eir was our emergency line. It failed three times in the last year. Virgin are coming in our area soon and we will be dropping Eir entirely. My advice is avoid Eir at all costs. They still act like they have the monopoly that Eircom use to enjoy back in the day ! Also Eir's fiber line is very slow. It's closer to dial up speeds rather than fast broadband.[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

Hi,

The whole thing stinks.

Hi there, Thank you for getting in touch I am very sorry to hear this. I can fully appreciate your frustration on this. I am very sorry that this was not corrected originally. I can assure you if you have logged this with comreg & also our complaints team they will reviewed this fully & follow this up on your behalf & contact you once they have a resolution. I can only apologise for this error. - Stacey

• Advertisement

Hi Stacey, thanks for your reply. I have already logged this issue twice. Once directly and again on Facebook. 
    Both times I wasted a lot of time and was told no, we will be keeping your money. So, I can assure you Stracey 
    that Eir has no interesting in returning my money. This is my message to the often cheated consumers of
    Ireland. Do not risk your money with Eir. I did and now I can Kiss my hard earned €100 good bye !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They get away with it.

Shocking company

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

what Eir overcharging i would never believe it,,,,,,,,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

Greglab wrote: »
    Hi Stacey, thanks for your reply. I have already logged this issue twice. Once directly and again on Facebook. 
    Both times I wasted a lot of time and was told no, we will be keeping your money. So, I can assure you Stracey 
    that Eir has no interesting in returning my money. This is my message to the often cheated consumers of
    Ireland. Do not risk your money with Eir. I did and now I can Kiss my hard earned €100 good bye !
    I'm very sorry you feel this way however if you have logged this with comreg they will follow this up on your behalf with our complaints team & they will provide you with a resolution on this once it is fully reviewed. Apologies again for the inconvenience. Stacey

I'm very sorry you feel this way however if you have logged this with comreg they will follow this up on your behalf with our complaints team & they will provide you with a resolution on this once it is fully reviewed. Apologies again for the inconvenience. Stacey
    OMG, you really feel I should contact Comreg. I might just do that so ......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Comreg eir are you serious you shouldn't be doing what you are doing to paying customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Apologies Greglab, Stacey was under the impression the case you have already logged was a COMREG case.

When installing broadband eir would only use an eir equipment and unfortunately we would not support installation of third party devices. Can you PM me the account number and I will take a look into this further?

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Eir overcharged us €100. They installed the broadband through a third party device on our premises and charged €100 to re-route it when they discovered their error. They refused to refund the money. We have a second broadband supplier that is 10 tim[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]es faster for the same price. Eir was our emergency line. It failed three times in the last year. Virgin are coming in our area soon and we will be dropping Eir entirely. My advice is avoid Eir at all costs. They still act like they have the monopoly that Eircom use to enjoy back in the day ! Also Eir's fiber line is very slow. It's closer to dial up speeds rather than fast broadband.[/font]
    They've been doing this for years. Some time ago we signed up to them in an apartment that already had a landline connection, at a time wile they were offering free setup for new customers. They confirmed by phone that there would be new setup costs, then charged us a €100 connection fee on our first bill, and threatened to cut us off and pursue us for the cancellation fee if we cancelled. 
    They also own Meteor, who set up a new direct debit on my bank account without permission, after I'd cancelled the original one due to repeated overcharging for months.
    Utter cowboys.

Apologies Greglab, Stacey was under the impression the case you have already logged was a COMREG case.

When installing broadband eir would only use an eir equipment and unfortunately we would not support installation of third party devices. Can you PM me the account number and I will take a look into this further?

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela, welcome to the discussion. You're the 12th + person from Eir to get involved. Our number is 01 2820458. You 100% most definitely for sure routed our new fiber (a misleading description) broadband through an ancient ESAT (aka Denis O'Brien) box that was on the wall. You then charged €100 to re-route it. I no longer expect Eir to refund the money. The purpose of this discussion is to let the war weary consumers of Ireland know to avoid yet another Eir land mine.

Apologies Greglab, Stacey was under the impression the case you have already logged was a COMREG case.

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela, welcome to the discussion. You're the 12th + person from Eir to get involved. Our number is 01 2820458. You 100% most definitely for sure routed our new fiber (a misleading description) broadband through an ancient ESAT (aka Denis O'Brien) box that was on the wall. You then charged €100 to re-route it. I no longer expect Eir to refund the money. The purpose of this discussion is to let the war weary consumers of Ireland know to avoid yet another Eir land mine.
    Thanks Greglab,

I have followed this up with the team on Facebook and Tracey has advised that she looked into this and provided you with the following information, this would be a standard charge for the work being that was carried out in your premises.

In order to proceed with installation of your efibre the third party system would need to have been removed prior to arrival as your line would be routed through the phone system. Unfortunately this was the case here and therefore the charges would apply. 

-Pamela 

• Advertisement

Thanks Greglab

I have followed this up with the team on Facebook and Tracey has advised that she looked into this and provided you with the following information, this would be a standard charge for the work being that was carried out in your premises.

In order to proceed with installation of your efibre the third party system would need to have been removed prior to arrival as your line would be routed through the phone system. Unfortunately this was the case here and therefore the charges would apply. 

-Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

This is the point. Eir have their box with their connections. You guys should have ran your broadband connector from there.
    You tried to use someone else's wiring and route to save money. You should have used your own clean line. 
    You made a mistake and expect us to pay for that mistake. As we sell communication equipment we have knowledge on this issue.
    The golden rule of any communications installation is to you use your own equipment and tested uninterrupted wiring or even better 
    to run your own fresh wiring.  Our job was about twenty foot through a dropped ceiling.
    A fresh wire would have taken ten minutes to install.

I'll very much doubt any engineer who reads this will disagree with me.

Best
    Greg

I can understand your disappointment with this Greglab however our lines would follow a specific cable path. 

The phone line in the premises would be already active prior to the efibre installation and the the line would already be following this specific cable path, if this has been altered prior to the installation our technician would not provide any additional internal wiring. 

I'm sorry I could not offer you better news.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I have been overcharged on every bill since i renewed my contract with eir in february.
    I have contacted the reps here and on facebook every month since then to raise the issue, yet i am still being overcharged. The overcharge is due to eir not applying the Direct debit discount to my account and because they are not applying the 30 minutes free landline to mobile calls which should be part of my bundle. I have now stopped using this part of my bundle for the last month or so so as not to incur additional charges, something i should not have to do. I should receive the full benefits of the bundle i signed up to but despite months of contacting eir about this they have still done nothing about it - The issue is being investigated apparently and affected customers are going to be contacted and credits given..... yet while this goes on another bill has issued with yet another overcharge, and i am expected to pay it.

Anyone like to give us a clue as to what words eir have blocked on their FB page? My posts don't contain swear words or anything like that but they are being hidden.

I can understand your disappointment with this Greglab however our lines would follow a specific cable path. 

The phone line in the premises would be already active prior to the efibre installation and the the line would already be following this specific cable path, if this has been altered prior to the installation our technician would not provide any additional internal wiring. 

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

Eircom did not run any internal phone cables in our building. You only installed as far as the communications cabinet.
    You used internal cable that belonged to a third party phone system when you installed the broadband. You should
    have installed your own cable run. Your message above seems to suggest you used cable that you originally installed.
    This is not the case. 

I have decided to take Stacey's advice above and contact comreg dot ie 

I will report my progress here and we will see how I get on.

If I get my €100 back I will give it to charity. I just want customer justice.

Best
    Greg

chasm wrote: »
    I have been overcharged on every bill since i renewed my contract with eir in february.
    I have contacted the reps here and on facebook every month since then to raise the issue, yet i am still being overcharged. The overcharge is due to eir not applying the Direct debit discount to my account and because they are not applying the 30 minutes free landline to mobile calls which should be part of my bundle. I have now stopped using this part of my bundle for the last month or so so as not to incur additional charges, something i should not have to do. I should receive the full benefits of the bundle i signed up to but despite months of contacting eir about this they have still done nothing about it - The issue is being investigated apparently and affected customers are going to be contacted and credits given..... yet while this goes on another bill has issued with yet another overcharge, and i am expected to pay it.

Anyone like to give us a clue as to what words eir have blocked on their FB page? My posts don't contain swear words or anything like that but they are being hidden.
    Hi Chasm,

I suspect your best bet is to contact comreg dot ie too. It seems you have already put a huge amount of time into rectifying your issues directly with Eir. I have had no joy. I'm very confident an independent third party will agree with me.

Hopefully they will help. I'm told they are very good. When they take a case they can get results.

Best
    Greg

Hi Chasm,

I suspect your best bet is to contact comreg dot ie too. It seems you have already put a huge amount of time into rectifying your issues directly with Eir. I have had no joy. I'm very confident an independent third party will agree with me.

Hopefully they will help. I'm told they are very good. When they take a case they can get results.

Best
    Greg
    Yeah comreg will be my next step if it is not resolved this month, i've dealt with them before and found them useful. My online bill has now reduced since last night, but still more than it should be though, but i can't check it properly as it's only the amount i am being charged that is showing, the actual statement is not there to view!

I can understand your disappointment with this Greglab however our lines would follow a specific cable path. 

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

Eircom did not run any internal phone cables in our building. You only installed as far as the communications cabinet.
    You used internal cable that belonged to a third party phone system when you installed the broadband. You should
    have installed your own cable run. Your message above seems to suggest you used cable that you originally installed.
    This is not the case. 

I have decided to take Stacey's advice above and contact comreg dot ie 

I will report my progress here and we will see how I get on.

If I get my €100 back I will give it to charity. I just want customer justice.

Best
    Greg
    No problem Greglab

I understand your views on this however we can assure you that what our networks team have advised, what we have advised via Facebook and what I had advised on boards.ie is fully compliant with industry regulations approved by comreg. You are welcome submit the a complaint and comreg are welcome to these details.

-Pamela 

Hi Chasm,

Best
    Greg
    Yeah comreg will be my next step if it is not resolved this month, i've dealt with them before and found them useful. My online bill has now reduced since last night, but still more than it should be though, but i can't check it properly as it's only the amount i am being charged that is showing, the actual statement is not there to view!
    Hi chasm,

Your on-line account will not update immediately I'm afraid.
    Please free free to PM me if there is anything I can help you with.

-Pamela 

Yourself and Stacey, among others have been dealing with it via Facebook. Last I heard was that eir would contact affected customers via SMS/ email, which I haven't received, so I assume it's still being "investigated".

• Advertisement

Yourself and Stacey, among others have been dealing with it via Facebook. Last I heard was that eir would contact affected customers via SMS/ email, which I haven't received, so I assume it's still being "investigated".
    Please feel free to PM me your account number and I will follow up on this chasm,

-Pamela 

Advertisement