Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Its the thought that counts'......

• 07-08-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

.....but is this is a crock of poo poo??

Ok, let me explain and I am totally ranting here...

Have a friend who I know about 10 years now. We always bought each other gifts for each others birthday but, if she missed mine, it was never ever an issue. Ever. I know how strapped for cash she can be, as is this case with me. A lot...!

Anyways, our friendship has been fizzling out for about a year now which is grand. This happens. But last year, she arrived down at my house about 2 weeks after my birthday with a gift. (just to mention, I was 6 months pregnant at the time). The gift was a top that was very obviously one of her own that she plucked out of her wardrobe and put in a gift bag. Now, it still had tags on it but it was something I would NEVER wear but was something I could see her in. So that was fine. Said thank you and gave the top to charity. I thought to myself 'Ah sure, its the thought that counts, it was nice of her.......'

Fast forward to this year. She arrives down 3 weeks after my birthday and hands me a card and bag. So, I say 'thank you, you shouldn't have'. When she left, I opened it and inside the bag was, again, an item of clothing that I would NEVER EVER wear. In fact, if you know me at all, you would know I actually really don't like this design of clothing.....but it gets better. It was very obviously used. It smelled of perfume and had holes in it. This was not something from a charity shop (which I would have no problems with it).

I could only deduce that this belonged to her mother and her mother gave it to her for me. The piece of clothing would be worn by a female 70years+. I'm 29. It was what you could say was an obvious piece of older womans clothing.....

This is nothing to do with 'buying' a gift. If she had simply dropped me a text and said happy birthday, I would have been overjoyed. I am not a materialistic person. But it got me thinking - when people say 'its the thought that counts' - is this bull crap? Why bother if your're just going to grab the closest thing and shove it in a bag and give to someone? A text, a phonecall, just a card would be better in my opinion. Or the offer of babysitting, or asking me to go for a walk...all of these things.

The present made its way into the bin. Because seriously, this item of clothing was old, smelly, and was probably lying in the bottom of a wardrobe for years....and I mean that.

Just to make myself feel like I wasn't being a cow (which people may think I'm being), I showed it to my partner and he couldn't believe it. He said a half eaten donut would have been a better pressie.......

Anways rant over. thanks for reading.... :-/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

That phrase is general interpreted as meaning it's nice that someone thought enough of you to come up with any present at all. I think, though, in cases like this it has a second meaning, which is to show that they only thought enough of you to make an insultingly token effort. I'm with you on feeling a bit dismayed by people who do this, people who know me well know that I genuinely would rather get nothing than have them give me something like that.
    I don't think you can or should do anything about it, you say your friendship is fizzling out anyway, so it's not an issue that needs a solution and won't be a problem for long. You can just add it to the pile of funny stories you and your partner laugh at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Tell her no gifts from now on?

Advertisement