Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke v Liverpool, 9/8, 4pm, SS1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

emo72 wrote: »
    we're not really playing to bentekes strengths are we?

Not really.

No shape or fluidity to the side at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Don't even think that was a free kick never mind a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Milner is going off on a stretcher after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Stoke the better team here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

emo72 wrote: »
    we're not really playing to bentekes strengths are we?

No, but at same time, benteke isn't overly active. We're missing someone with a bit of creativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lovren has been our best player.

Says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Ibe needs to learn to look for a pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

How awful is Charlie Adam? Still expect him to score against us at some point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

just see it out till half time, stoke have come into it a wee bit.

This is piss. Getting overrun in midfield, nothing sticking up front, no movement out wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People here seem to expecting a lot whilst forgetting it's the first real game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Whelan with the control and keepy-uppies :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Lallana has been pretty anonymous, Firmino would be a better bet in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Do Liverpool have a recognized DM in the squad at all? Stoke are just waltzing through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

murpho999 wrote: »
    People here seem to expecting a lot whilst forgetting it's the first real game of the season.

Well, in all fairtless, winnign 6-1 again was a bit unlikely.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

First game of the season, players finding their feet. The result is more important than the performance.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Do Liverpool have a recognized DM in the squad at all? Stoke are just waltzing through.

Lucas but Rodgers doesn't seem to like the concept of DMs and is happy to ignore the concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not really - Lucas about the only natural one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Some people seem to have really low expectations for the first game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Is that not a free kick, keeper had the ball in his hands had it under control and left it on the ground only to pick it up again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

It was the same last season with Gerard in there. An odd area to ignore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cagey stuff, don't mind that to be honest as first game away to Stoke was unlikely to be anything like free-wheeling was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

At least it's not 5-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

stokes defence looks very comfortable. happy to sit back and very comfortable with the high balls. benny not getting a look in. gomez looks decent. noone else shining. maybe ibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Is that not a free kick, keeper had the ball in his hands had it under control and left it on the ground only to pick it up again

I noticed that myself.

The argument would probably be he never actually had the ball under control. Similar to the way a keeper blocks a shot, and then scrambles to pick it up.

Best League in the World (TM)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Mumha wrote: »
    Lallana has been pretty anonymous, Firmino would be a better bet in the second half

Cutihno lallana ibe giving nothing.

Cutihno and lallana too easy to push off the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That's it Lallana, don't shake hands, you're not there to make friends, love to see a bit of fight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Mumha wrote: »

I expect Firmino will come on at some stage for Lallana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dire stuff around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Well that was a steaming pile of shíte of half of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Grim stuff. Game needs a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What a shîte half of football. When Johnson has the best chance of the game, you know it's a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

**** on a stick football.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

When is it ok for us to expect a decent performance? Will we all get an email to let us know we've reached that point?

I can't remember the last time I was delighted with a performance from Liverpool, we're overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Fairly poor stuff from a neutral perspective. I was hoping for a goalfest. I think there is a goal in the game. Is Lucas injured for Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

koppy wrote: »
    Cutihno lallana ibe giving nothing.

Cutihno and lallana too easy to push off the ball

I've seen some poor attempts at his name in my day but that's right up there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Hard to see how our attacking midfielders are going to get into the game when our attacking play seems to be lump it at Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Happy enough with the first half. Sh!t game, but I like the we're soaking up the little Stoke have to offer.

I can see us nicking this one 1-0 and I'll go for Benteke to grab it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SlickRic wrote: »
    Some people seem to have really low expectations for the first game of the season.

No but teams often take time to get in their stride. Look at Arsenal,Utd and Chelsea this weekend?

I also remember 2 seasons ago we struggled to beat Stoke at home. Mignonet penalty save. It gave absolutely no indication of the title challenging form that was to come.

If they get 3 points today in a scrappy 1-0 win I would be happy. First priority is not to lose. Then build on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Lovren MK II has been decent enough, Ibe and Clyne looking good too. Other than that, zzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Interesting Stat: When it comes to distances covered in that whole first half Gerrard covered 0.000 miles, which was lower than any other player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

At least it's not 5-0

5 goals and 1 point better off than last season.

Huge signs of progress there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Lallana is not really suited to a winger in 433. He comes deep and inside too much making it easy to defend for their back 4. Would like to see info come on for ibe and go with the diamond with Lallana at cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A bit like a pre-season game but with a bit more kicking each other.

In a sense that's what this is.

A lot of games this weekend have looked like they've been between 2 teams that've had one their shortest breaks ever between seasons.

Don't give a ****e how we do it. We need points from these first few games.

Fluency simply isn't going to happen when we have Coutinho + a new attack.

Ibe, Gomez, Clyne, Lovren, Benteke have all been fairly good.

Maybe a bit too tough for Lallana, but he was probably still the best option.
    Dunno what sort of shape Fermino's in. I'd imagine that'll be the first non-forced sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Lallana and Henderson have been terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Tentative muck, Coutinho not up to the tempo and Llama struggling. Just need more dynamism in midfield to create chances. Great to see Johnson playing for the opposition and Clyne/Gomez doing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm liking this approach from Liverpool. We have a bad record here and it's good to see us keep things tight, of course it affects our attacking but a result here is a great result considering we usually lose here.
    I still think we can win today if we concede none and score .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

God if we have a season of these aimless long balls to Benteke's head to look forward to it is going to be tough watching. We don't even have any runners off him if he wins the header. None of the three behind him like to make runs in behind. It is awful stuff all round. Midfield getting walked through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement