Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging in GBP in an Irish Store

Options
  • 07-08-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Is it legal in Ireland to charge for a product in GBP in a store in Ireland? Or if it is legal is there any rules against it.

The question arises from when I used a Max Spielmann photo booth in a Tesco store in Dublin. To print photos they charge for each item in GBP. Sign from store is below. Using a Debit card in their machines occurs a currency conversion charge. As per second screenshot after buying 4 6*4" photos.

I think it is totally unacceptable to do this in this country. And from the posters and the store it is not totally visible that they charge in GBP. Tesco Ireland don't want to know about it as the photo shops are outsourced.

CInc1pbWcAEExRt.jpg

CIx1D-YW8AECfPd.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They can charge in whatever currency they want. It's a bit daft though to be charging prices in Sterling, on machines located in the Republic.

I personally wouldn't give them my custom over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

dudara wrote: »
    They can charge in whatever currency they want. It's a bit daft though to be charging prices in Sterling, on machines located in the Republic.

I personally wouldn't give them my custom over that.

Even though the legal tender of the country is Euro?

I have already stopped custom with them.

You need to separate the concepts of "legal tender" and "currency". I'm being pedantic, I know, but they are two different things.

The Euro is the currency of the Republic of Ireland, but you can be charged in any currency. It's just more efficient to be charged in Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Any organisation who can't be bothered to get someone to cast a quick eye on any PR material that is going to be the public image of their product - will not be getting my business!

'Stirling'......ffs !!!

Cowboys Ted..Cowboys!

and using a major Chain's name in its email....are they looking for trouble. Am sure the 'branding police' in Tesco wont be long after them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The "Stirling" part is stupid, but the Tesco reference in their signage/communications is fine. Tesco sold all their photo stores to them.

As for the charging: they can choose to charge in Sterling, you have a choice not to accept. Again, it's not the best business plan, but given the company's limited presence in the Republic, it may not make much economic sense to provide billing options in Euros.

• Advertisement

Cheers all for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

It says it on the machine, so what's the problem? You read the currency it charges - and then it's your choice whether to proceed or not. Don't proceed, then moan about something you were aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

not sure about the legalities of this. In fairness to the consumer, a lot of UK retailers show GBP & EUR prices on products, while charging EUR to the customer.

Whether they can or cant charge in a different currency to the official state currency they SHOULD charge in the local currency.

daheff wrote: »
    not sure about the legalities of this. In fairness to the consumer, a lot of UK retailers show GBP & EUR prices on products, while charging EUR to the customer.

Whether they can or cant charge in a different currency to the official state currency they SHOULD charge in the local currency.

But it clearly states you'll be charged in StIrling. No deception. Nothing subjective at all about the sign - it's all laid out & very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Note also that the exchange rate they apply is extortionate: €1 = £0.56!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I was in a petrol station the other day, and (according to the pump) I put £25 worth of petrol in my car!

I queried the £ sign on the pumps and he smiled, you're alright sir, they're new pumps and we haven't had a chance yet to put Euro stickers over the pound signs yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sgarvan wrote: »
    Even though the legal tender of the country is Euro?

I have already stopped custom with them.

sure... they could charge in Iraqi Dinars if it suited them

lol at prices being charged in Stirling

I'd be staying well clear of that <SNIP> operation

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

LordSutch wrote: »
    I was in a petrol station the other day, and (according to the pump) I put £25 worth of petrol in my car!

I queried the £ sign on the pumps and he smiled, you're alright sir, they're new pumps and we haven't had a chance yet to put Euro stickers over the pound signs yet :)

New? More like 14 years old probably - most pumps would be supplied with the correct symbol from new but old ones would be from the IE£ days

lawred2 wrote: »

How is it a <SNIP> if you get your photos at the price they clearly quoted? That's actually the opposite of a <SNIP>

Why are people so confused & outraged over clear signage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: Prices are displayed in € as required by law and consumers can make an informed decision on whether to avail or not. Decline the service if you wish but please don't make unfounded allegations.

How is it a <SNIP> if you get your photos at the price they clearly quoted? That's actually the opposite of a <SNIP>

Why are people so confused & outraged over clear signage?

Stirling is a historic city in Scotland. What it isn't is a currency. That is an entirely different Sterling.

Would I trust anything that sets a penal exchange rate between Euro and a currency that doesn't exist?

No. I wouldn't.

But by all means; lash away. If that signage is clear enough for you; then great.

I do however retract all allegations of a <SNIP> operation.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Mod: Prices are displayed in € as required by law and consumers can make an informed decision on whether to avail or not. Decline the service if you wish but please don't make unfounded allegations.

I would indeed decline the service based upon the dubious information being provided by this service provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Would I trust anything that sets a penal exchange rate between Euro and a currency that doesn't exist?

No. I wouldn't.

But by all means; lash away.

As clearly stated, price is charged in sterling (ok spelling error, stirling). Hence, the equivalent euro is an approx calculation - the actual calculation will be done by your credit/debit card, though they should also put statement that a foreign currency fee may also apply.

Much easier if they just charged in local currency. (quite easy to do)

So basically, the OP is shocked to find that a machine offering to print your photos for GBP£0.36 each, printed his photos for GBP£0.36 each?

• Advertisement

@Kenny bania - please try to offer advice when posting in Consumer Issues.

dudara

But it clearly states you'll be charged in StIrling. No deception. Nothing subjective at all about the sign - it's all laid out & very clear.

No its not clear.

In a pedantic sense the sign clearly states
    *Prices charged in Stirling

This is confusing as Stirling is a place and not a currency. It could (at a small stretch)be referring to the point that what will be displayed on the customers credit card statement would refer to a payment charged from a vendor based in STIRLING, and not that the currency of payment is STERLING.

Not sure this would count as misleading rather than extremely poor signage.

As slimjimmc points out, there is a requirement in law to advertise prices in EUR. Any reasonable person would assume that they would then be charged in this currency (excluding the poor signage saying prices charged in Stirling).

OP on the basis of only spending a few EUR on the pictures, I'd say its a lesson learnt not to deal with this vendor again.

I didn't find it clear in the first instance. I seen the sign and saw the prices in GBP & EUR. I then took it I would be charged in EUR. It was after the transaction I noticed that it was in sterling. Hence why I asked the question. Won't be using the service any more anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Seems mighty strange to me.

(a) If OPs card was charged GBP was this some sort of 'distance' sale ?

(b) I wonder what the VAT position on this is ?

- Was Irish VAT charged ?
    or
    - Was UK VAT charged ?
    or
    - Did something else happen about the VAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

0lddog wrote: »
    Seems mighty strange to me.

(a) If OPs card was charged GBP was this some sort of 'distance' sale ?

(b) I wonder what the VAT position on this is ?

- Was Irish VAT charged ?
    or
    - Was UK VAT charged ?
    or
    - Did something else happen about the VAT

No it wasn't a distance sale - the transaction took place there and then. Where the payment is processed makes no difference whatsoever.

strict rules and regulations about VAT - Irish Vat would have been applied and paid.

Revenue know everything! :D - they know what is going in and out of merchant (retailer) credit card accounts, they know what is going in and out of paypal accounts. They know what you had for breakfast!! :eek:

No its not clear.

In a pedantic sense the sign clearly states
    *Prices charged in Stirling

This is confusing as Stirling is a place and not a currency.

If this confused you, and you didn't realise in 0.01 of a second that it was just a typo, you've got bigger issues. "What if it means I'll be charged in the place called Stirling?" That doesn't even make sense.

The sign is perfectly clear to anyone who took the time to actually bother reading it. There's no valid complaint there at all IMO. All the info you need is clearly displayed. The currency conversion charges are charged by the OPs bank - not by the vendor. The vendor only took exactly what they said they would. And they displayed an approx Euro conversion chart which nobody can expect to be accurate all the time - it's an FYI.

If this confused you, and you didn't realise in 0.01 of a second that it was just a typo, you've got bigger issues. "What if it means I'll be charged in the place called Stirling?" That doesn't even make sense.

It does...read the rest of my post. It explains why.

Also I'd also wonder why the currency rate used to calculate the approx EUR amount isnt consistent for the 3 amounts? Its quite a difference as the "stirling" amount increases. (0.72:1, 0.657:1, 0.56:1)

Also I'd also wonder why the currency rate used to calculate the approx EUR amount isnt consistent for the 3 amounts? Its quite a difference as the "stirling" amount increases. (0.72:1, 0.657:1, 0.56:1)

Irrelevant, because you're being charged in GBP.

Irrelevant, because you're being charged in GBP.

I understand the customer is being charged in GBP (as does everybody reading this thread).

My point is that the EUR equivalent is for the consumer to use as a guide to understand how much EUR they would be charged. To me it seems bizarre that they are indicating a HIGHER EUR amount to potential customers.

Not irrelevant if you dont make the purchase because you think its more expensive than it actually would be.:confused:

• Advertisement

Not irrelevant if you dont make the purchase because you think its more expensive than it actually would be.:confused:

They rounded up - no big deal.

And if someone doesn't make a purchase because it seems too expensive, that only affects the vendor - not the consumer, because they didn't avail of the service so have no complaint with anyone. So it is irrelevant. If they want to price too high, that's their problem.

I'm really not sure why this machine is causing so much confusion - if I walked up to it & read that sign, I'd know exactly what was going on. 36p per 6x4" print, and I'm charged in Sterling (and yes; I used my detective skills to realise that they didn't mean the place - because why would they?)
    So if I get 20 prints that'll be £7.20 and AIB will probably charge me a few Euro as well - so that's probably €11 or €12 for 20 prints. So I'll make the call. It's my decision. All the info is there and at my disposal. Nothing is misleading and nothing is omitted. Takes 10 seconds to run the basic numbers through your head.
    Or you could just misunderstand it and then blame the vendor.

Advertisement