Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging in GBP in an Irish Store

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Note also that the exchange rate they apply is extortionate: €1 = £0.56!
    nope, the euro to pound rate is .709 which seems to be very reasonable.

On top of that there seems to be a debit card charge for using the card outside the eurozone (essentially punishment from your bank for them not being able to ride you IN the eurozone and make their profits off people on those journies) which makes the transaction very expensive.
    But that cash goes to your bank and not the photo people if I am correct.

To my cost I noticed the same problem too late after a visit to peppa pig park in England, where I was buying coffees with my debit card and they turned out to be VERY expensive coffees.
    (BTW. if I had used my credit card I wouldnt have had the problem as they in general have better conditions for use outside of the euro zone)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

nope, the euro to pound rate is .709 which seems to be very reasonable.

He means the "suggested" rate they show is .56 (for the dearest option, it varies)

They're covering their arse in case of further currency slippage basically.

Advertisement