Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Dartz wrote: »
    Nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes.

You are very wrong there, chief. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

166man wrote: »
    You are very wrong there, chief. :)

In this case I genuinely think you are right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well my neck is killing me looking up at the sky. Worth it though seen a few shooting stars.

You could stay out watching for the new 2 hours at least if you wanted. I think I seen enough after 5 mins.

http://io9.com/the-best-meteor-shower-of-the-year-is-tonight-and-here-1723568562

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Well my neck is killing me looking up at the sky. Worth it though seen a few shooting stars.

You could stay out watching for the new 2 hours at least if you wanted. I think I seen enough after 5 mins.

http://io9.com/the-best-meteor-shower-of-the-year-is-tonight-and-here-1723568562

Fecking cool, saw three, one was huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Oh dear God, all this results talks reminds me that I'm back at work in a few weeks. The hardship, so hard to face back :(
    I swear my gf spends the entire month of august complaining about going back

It's well for the teachers off for the summer. My summer off this year fairly went to zero. Finishing work on the Friday the 4th back to college on the 7th. Work placement 21 weeks days holidays/ absent = 0. At least I got out to Spain before placement that seems so long ago now.
    Yaaay i can post links again! :)

This made me laugh too much

Blinky

Oh sh!t I hope this doesn't happen my one.

Actually in car news one unusual gripe I have about my megane is that at night it honestly has one of the worst lit dashes I've ever seen. I mean vw and all the other main manufactures mastered the art of how to properly light up instruments in the early 2000s. I mean it's not hard all you want is every button consistently lit up with no bright dark spots. Then you come on to my car which is a long way of brand new but not ancient either it's like Renault went to fcuking woodies and got fiary lights and fcuked them in behind the dash. Very annoying at night all these bright and dull spots and it's not because of blown bulbs some buttons including the ones on the steering wheel are not even lit up I mean are we back to the 90s.

Anyway very weird rant over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CIP4 wrote: »
    It's well for the teachers off for the summer. My summer off this year fairly went to zero. Finishing work on the Friday the 4th back to college on the 7th. Work placement 21 weeks days holidays/ absent = 0. At least I got out to Spain before placement that seems so long ago now.

Oh sh!t I hope this doesn't happen my one.

Actually in car news one unusual gripe I have about my megane is that at night it honestly has one of the worst lit dashes I've ever seen. I mean vw and all the other main manufactures mastered the art of how to properly light up instruments in the early 2000s. I mean it's not hard all you want is every button consistently lit up with no bright dark spots. Then you come on to my car which is a long way of brand new but not ancient either it's like Renault went to fcuking woodies and got fiary lights and fcuked them in behind the dash. Very annoying at night all these bright and dull spots and it's not because of blown bulbs some buttons including the ones on the steering wheel are not even lit up I mean are we back to the 90s.

Anyway very weird rant over.

My car has a weird thing that if you put on full beams it dimms the dash

Stheno wrote: »

That could be a sign that your alternator is starting to slightly struggle and it's only showing under full electrical load or it could be just a quirk of the car either I wouldn't worry too much.

CIP4 wrote: »
    That could be a sign that your alternator is starting to slightly struggle and it's only showing under full electrical load or it could be just a quirk of the car either I wouldn't worry too much.

Nah no problem with the alternator, as I regularly don't drive the car for a week, I think it's just a quirk of the car, there is something I do with the full beams on that restores the dash, can't remember it now, but it indicates it's some weird default setting

Car is off to the mechanic soon for a couple of minor issues, and the fact I've put nearly 5k miles on it since I bought it (time flies) and I want it checked :)

• Advertisement

Nah no problem with the alternator, as I regularly don't drive the car for a week, I think it's just a quirk of the car, there is something I do with the full beams on that restores the dash, can't remember it now, but it indicates it's some weird default setting

Car is off to the mechanic soon for a couple of minor issues, and the fact I've put nearly 5k miles on it since I bought it (time flies) and I want it checked :)

Ah your grand so.

Time is definitely flying I have mine 3 months it doesn't feel like that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Drove to a really high open spot, climbed up onto a water tower, lied down and watched the stars for about an hour. Lovely clear sky, it's amazing seeing how vast it is. Seen a good few shooting stars too. :)

Drove to a really high open spot, climbed up onto a water tower, lied down and watched the stars for about an hour. Lovely clear sky, it's amazing seeing how vast it is. Seen a good few shooting stars too. :)

It is a very clear night all right.

It is a very clear night all right.

Now I'm in bed, but convinced I left the keys in the ignition of one of the cars. Effort of getting up! First world problems :pac:

Ran out in my jocks and socks and lo and behold! :pac:

Ran out in my jocks and socks and lo and behold! :pac:

I often left my keys in the ignition and got up next day car still there with keys inside and my wallet on the seat.

Often went to bed without the back door locked too. Anyone could walk straight in. Just thinking we would be a great house to rob.

• Advertisement

I often left my keys in the ignition and got up next day car still there with keys inside and my wallet on the seat.

Often went to bed without the back door locked too. Anyone could walk straight in. Just thinking we would be a great house to rob.

Wallet is still on the seat come to think of it. Car is parked out front, quiet road, but still potential sitting target (seeing as it's all shiny and pwetty at the moment). If it was around the back I wouldn't be as bothered about the keys.

I'd always lock the house though, no matter where I lived, wouldn't feel safe.

I'd always lock the house though, no matter where I lived, wouldn't feel safe.

We have three dogs that live inside the house at night anyway so doesn't matter if we lock the door or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

We have three dogs that live inside the house at night anyway so doesn't matter if we lock the door or not.

Some dirty sh1tes have been around robbing out of cars for the second time in a month now in our estate. After seeing a load of car window glass broken around Limerick city in general the last week, must have been a fierce spree. Nothing on show in our cars so they seem to have escaped so far.
    14-16 yr olds by the look of the cctv. Shur they won't lock up adults with triple digit convictions. There's a local solicitor is practically a celebrity for spinning sob stories for them. Who's worse...

The Redex will be added to the tank to clean out the fuel system. I'm just curious if the steam treatment will make a difference. From what I've seen, it should. Combined with the fuel treatment, the old gal might get back some of her get up and go. There was already a marked improvement when I had the blowy exhaust welded.

My point was that you can use Redex other than adding it to the tank.
    It would be superior to adding water I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Mine does something similar.
    If it's raining and I'm not accelerating/decelerating (so just idling along :P) then the lights dim and if i decelerate for example then the lights get stronger.
    Likewise for the wipers, it was lashing down here in Italy the other day and the wipers slowed down unless i accelerated.
    I'm guessing battery is slowly dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

bear1 wrote: »
    Mine does something similar.
    If it's raining and I'm not accelerating/decelerating (so just idling along :P) then the lights dim and if i decelerate for example then the lights get stronger.
    Likewise for the wipers, it was lashing down here in Italy the other day and the wipers slowed down unless i accelerated.
    I'm guessing battery is slowly dying.

My Colt did that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

So the **** time of the year that is insurance renewal is here for me.
    Have 5 years ncb this year, but with the new found Hatred for anything over 10 years and my gtv 19 years young, I've been dreading renewal time.

Plan to ring all the insurers as I do every year, but does anyone have any broker recommendations.

Still plan to ring aviva and alllianz at the end for some much needed stressr relief

Try 25plus.ie.

Have to switch insurance from the 156 to the focus. Hopefully wont be charged big money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I think the 2.7l Ssangyong Rodius is a noble bus altogether, even when I thought they were Chinese, which was up to quite recently. There, I said it. Jebus Cripes I need help!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What did you diagnose it as GvidoR?

bear1 wrote: »
    What did you diagnose it as GvidoR?

I didn't. I sold it shortly after, but I had a subwoofer and amp connected at the time so it could have been a weak-ish battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I just saw this in the funny pics thread, I thought it might do well on this forum..
    New Home wrote: »
    Funny-cars.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Augeo wrote: »
    My point was that you can use Redex other than adding it to the tank.
    It would be superior to adding water I would think.

I'll try the water first and the redex later. Or rather the Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner. Anyone heard of that stuff? Motor factors guy sang it's praises.

I'll try the water first and the redex later. Or rather the Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner. Anyone heard of that stuff? Motor factors guy sang it's praises.

When I were a nipper "Upper-Cylinder Lubricant" was part of the blurb on that dreaded Easy-Start low-flashpoint ether stuff. :pac:

What factors did you see that lucas stuff in?

What factors did you see that lucas stuff in?

Clare Car & Tractor Parts. Great place actually, they sell good quality parts and a lot of them cheaper than online prices. And been burnt once to often with cheap crap from a UK website and when something goes wrong, they tell you to fcuk off.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    When I were a nipper "Upper-Cylinder Lubricant" was part of the blurb on that dreaded Easy-Start low-flashpoint ether stuff. :pac:

That's been rebranded:

DI03634_1_2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That's been rebranded:

DI03634_1_2.jpg

Auf Deutsch - Los du miststück!! :D

Achtüng! Stärdtenbästärdten! Raus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Donnerwetter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Went out to Poolbeg/Pigeon house last night for a stroll along the pier with the lady. The fooking ramps there are absolutely horrendous. I've been there once before in the 3er and they actually broke my car, even though I was going over them at less than 1km/h, I'd have crawled faster than I was driving. They are beyond ridiculous, and anyone who has seen my yoke will know that it's not actually the lowest in the world either. It was painful going over them last night, thought I'd bust a top mount on my front struts.

:mad:

Was driving down the N4 and saw a couple of Garda cars and road closed signs. Didn't know why, after a quick google search it became clear.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0813/720924-fatal-accident-kilmacanogue/

000afa13-642.jpg

GvidoR wrote: »
    Was driving down the N4 and saw a couple of Garda cars and road closed signs. Didn't know why, after a quick google search it became clear.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/council-worker-dies-and-another-injured-after-being-struck-by-lorry-while-cutting-hedge-31449361.html

(yodeling was invented based on broken cars)

RIP :( That's the same stretch of road I was asking about last week :(

Had to go to Cork today, drove down, finished early and drove back, was nearly roasted alive in the car even with the aircon on

• Advertisement

A rant: the worst thing about trying to study on a sunny day is the ****wits who stick the alarm on and head out with the windows left open. External sirens should be banned. Useless ****ing things anyway.

I don't mean to double post, but have the NCT changed their booking system so you have to pay in advance now? You used be able to choose to pay on the day

TIA :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

RIP :( That's the same stretch of road I was asking about last week :(

Had to go to Cork today, drove down, finished early and drove back, was nearly roasted alive in the car even with the aircon on
    Sounds like the aircon needs a service.
    I don't mean to double post, but have the NCT changed their booking system so you have to pay in advance now? You used be able to choose to pay on the day

TIA :)
    You can, but it's kind of a hidden button somewhere that you click to pay later. Or maybe a hidden pay later link in the middle of the paragraph somewhere. Not overly obvious anyway!!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Sounds like the aircon needs a service...

Agreed. The hottest of hot days here shouldn't faze a functioning automotive HVAC.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Sounds like the aircon needs a service.

You can, but it's kind of a hidden button somewhere that you click to pay later. Or maybe a hidden pay later link in the middle of the paragraph somewhere. Not overly obvious anyway!!
    jimgoose wrote: »
    Agreed. The hottest of hot days here shouldn't faze a functioning automotive HVAC.

It's going in to the mechanic to be looked at soon for a couple of minor things so I'll add that to the small list :)

Swapped my policy online from the 156 to the focus. Only took 2 minutes and didn't cost me a penny. Sound.
    Thought changing from a 1.8 NA to a 1.8 turbo might have cost me some money.

• Advertisement

Ordered 5L 10w40 oil, oil filter, two H1 bulbs from Micks Garage for €24.01 + they're giving me a free funnel. I guess they will charge €3.95 for delivery after I receive it? Not sure though.

Also today I discovered that the Punto has a H7 bulb on one side and H1 on the other. According to some quick research, this is normal for Punto's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Thats a good price oil considered.

Oil i use is 45 quid for 5 litres :(

Ordered 5L 10w40 oil, oil filter, two H1 bulbs from Micks Garage for €24.01 + they're giving me a free funnel. I guess they will charge €3.95 for delivery after I receive it? Not sure though.

Also today I discovered that the Punto has a H7 bulb on one side and H1 on the other. According to a quick research, this is normal for Punto's.

That's the normal setup for most twin headlight cars.

Got 7 litres of quartz ford 5w30, an oil and air filter for the focus for 56 euro earlier in the week. They've upped their free delivery to 40 euro it seems. Have been using the local mf for everything lately but when it comes to oil they only have ****e 10w40 or else pricey castrol. Always wonder why no MF's seem to stock mid price oil such as quartz or the like.

000afa13-642.jpg

RIP.

Talking about accidents there was a hold up on the Headford road yesterday evening as I was leaving Galway about 7 miles outside, someone drove straight into the back of someone, nice bit of damage done to the front of one newish car and just the back bumper of the car in front. Held us all up. Garda and recovery truck drove past down the wrong side of the road to the accident , no injuries fortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Accident on the M9 just past the Danesfort J9 junction, car didn't look to good :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement