Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Thats a good price oil considered.

Oil i use is 45 quid for 5 litres :(

Get a Focus diesel! Oil I buy is €15 for 4 liters. I just have to wait till Halford's has sale on. :D
    They did last week, so got enough oil to cover 2 oilchanges for both cars for the total outlay of €60. For that there will be a ton of spare oil left over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Interslice wrote: »
    A rant: the worst thing about trying to study on a sunny day is the ****wits who stick the alarm on and head out with the windows left open. External sirens should be banned. Useless ****ing things anyway.

Our alarm text us if it goes off I can then go on my phone to look at the cctv to see if anyone is in the house from anywhere in the world. If there is no one I can then wirelessly turn off the alarm and reset it back on. Tbh I thought was fairly standard these days didn't think people still had them old fashioned alarms that go off. Alarm will also text it someone tampers with it cuts power etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Went to Mizen head and Healy pass today savage day had again. Some lovely roads round there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Went to Mizen head and Healy pass today savage day had again. Some lovely roads round there!

Wtf? Antrim to west cork??? Some driving!!
    Some great driving and scenery down around beara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

CIP4 wrote: »
    Our alarm text us if it goes off I can then go on my phone to look at the cctv to see if anyone is in the house from anywhere in the world. If there is no one I can then wirelessly turn off the alarm and reset it back on. Tbh I thought was fairly standard these days didn't think people still had them old fashioned alarms that go off. Alarm will also text it someone tampers with it cuts power etc etc.

Wouldn't have a clue if it's standard. We just have a dog :). Maybe so as it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Wtf? Antrim to west cork??? Some driving!!
    Some great driving and scenery down around beara.
    Ya I have done 1600 kilometres since Tuesday so far. Just drove back from Dublin yesterday and didn't go anywhere. Off to Kilkenny tomorrow too but that's not too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

pics?

Sorry didnt have any but it passed anyway. On adverts now if anyone is looking for a celica. Very impressed at how they drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

So the sisters avensis failed the nct today on emissions.

Obviously the readings are wayyy over the limits. Anyone take a guess as to the most likely cause?

S2FtI5C.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Any meets / mini-meets or whatever this weekend in Dublin/Louth area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

nd wrote: »
    So the sisters avensis failed the nct today on emissions.

Obviously the readings are wayyy over the limits. Anyone take a guess as to the most likely cause?

S2FtI5C.jpg

Knackered cat most likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

GvidoR wrote: »
    Any meets / mini-meets or whatever this weekend in Dublin/Louth area?

Why are you heading to Dublin?

Because there are things, and some stuff. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You see this is where punctuation use is vital. I assume you meant to say "why, are you heading to Dublin?" As opposed to nosing into Gvidors life?

Or maybe you're just being a nosey cnut, if so, carry on :pac:

Because there are things, and some stuff. :pac:

I'd say Pickles would meet with you if you asked him. And he could maybe try get one or two more people.

You see this is where punctuation use is vital. I assume you meant to say "why, are you heading to Dublin?" As opposed to nosing into Gvidors life?

Or maybe you're just being a nosey cnut, if so, carry on :pac:

You actually got it spot on. I was thinking the same thing as you when I read GvidoR's reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just looking at some pics of the explosion in China. F'kn hell doesn't describe it.

Thousands of new VW's all burnt and some pics of the aftermath.

http://imgur.com/gallery/4bjvv/new

Hal1 wrote: »
    Just looking at some pics of the explosion in China. F'kn hell doesn't describe it.

Thousands of new VW's all burnt and some pics of the aftermath.

http://imgur.com/gallery/4bjvv/new

Wow that was some explosion. I don't watch the news or listen to the radio(I listen to my own music) so didn't really hear about it till today. What was the cause of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Wow that was some explosion. I don't watch the news or listen to the radio(I listen to my own music) so didn't really hear about it till today. What was the cause of it?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33900268

No confirmation on what caused it yet, but it was a storage facility for toxic chemicals and gas.

View from space:
    http://www.wired.com/2015/08/chinas-huge-tianjin-explosion-looked-like-space/

Wow the poor migrant worker were very close to the blast and their prefab huts were destroyed, after watching that bbc news report I'd say most casualties were the migrant workers.

China has migrant workers where ever they come from. Wages are very low in China even for Chinese so i wouldn't like to know how low a pay they were getting.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Got my aircon regassed yesterday. I never did it before, surprisingly it only lost 80 grams of gas in 12 years. Nearly all the oil was gone though. Some job, I was nearly high on it driving home.

Also, guy who did the aircon pointed to one of the belt tensioners, said it was very shakeup/unstable. Is it a big job to replace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

beertons wrote: »
    Got my aircon regassed yesterday. I never did it before, surprisingly it only lost 80 grams of gas in 12 years. Nearly all the oil was gone though. Some job, I was nearly high on it driving home.

Also, guy who did the aircon pointed to one of the belt tensioners, said it was very shakeup/unstable. Is it a big job to replace?

You mean on the timing belt side or fan belt? Either way if its the timing belt side then you may as well have the timing belt changed with new tensioners. Fan belt side would be easier, quicker and cheaper.

Must be the fan belt. Timing belt was done not too long ago. I'll point it out to the auld lad later and see what he says.

Must be the fan belt. Timing belt was done not too long ago. I'll point it out to the auld lad later and see what he says.

Was just the belt done or the whole lot was changed?

bear1 wrote: »
    Was just the belt done or the whole lot was changed?

Can't confirm that, but I'd hope it was the lot as you buy them all as a kit now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

I was not able to drive my own car (which is taxed) so i used a spare car for a few days which motor tax expired at the end of june. Its going to be sold which is why it was not declared off the road. Letter seems very late so is this a standard letter or have they been made aware the car has been on the road?

4a44b2e0-3d45-4c76-ae86-7c7633d27977_zpsq1yuq6zn.jpg

• Advertisement

Stock up on the vaseline motorists... FBD haven't a pot to p!ss in so guess where they will come looking to maintain their pay?

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/fbd-shares-plunge-on-fears-it-needs-100m-capital-injection-31450164.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Stock up on the vaseline motorists... FBD haven't a pot to p!ss in so guess where they will come looking to maintain their pay?

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/fbd-shares-plunge-on-fears-it-needs-100m-capital-injection-31450164.html

Good thing I only have a classic car policy with them :)

Wait, let me rephrase that... I have the house/tractor and vintage stuff with them but no motor policy :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin to get four alloys returned?

Also any idea on prices?

Himself says it's the alternator belt.

I'm with fbd... Renewal at the end of September. Lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Stheno wrote:

Refurbed?

They should have taken out insurance against the risk of this happening LOL.
    "Sir, I'm afraid we only insure Insurance companies who are 4.5years old and have blue logos"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I'm with fbd... Renewal at the end of September. Lovely

I went to get a quote in April and the guy said this straight out to me that their premiums would be well up for the next while. Then after quoting me 2.6 k euro for insurance he said they could drop 50-100 of that if they were close :D close ye they were only 1500 euros out.

At what point a Catch 22 situation?
    "We are happy to offer you a quote of 4500 this year sir!"
    "Oh goody goody I'll take it saxaphone giraffe!"
    "Frankly sir, the fact that you would take out insurance with us is an indicator of an undiagnosed medical condition, we would violate our own terms and conditions by selling you a policy"
    "Terns and renditions? shut up and take my money monkey socks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

..."Frankly sir, the fact that you would take out insurance with us is an indicator of an undiagnosed medical condition, we would violate our own terms and conditions by selling you a policy"...

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Wonder with now 4 years ncb and paid just over 600e last year what are the odds of will be under the 500 mark :D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

Wonder with now 4 years ncb and paid just over 600e last year what are the odds of will be under the 500 mark :D

Unlikely unfortunately! Paid €599 last year but my renewal quote was 75% higher than last year at €1047. This despite an extra year NCB (6 years) and now being 25, which used to be the age when premiums dropped substantially! Eventually got covered for €740 (still 23% increase) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Saw flashing blue lights in my mirror this morning. Kinda scary even though they were not after me. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Stheno wrote: »

Also any idea on prices?

Wheel Wizards in Finglas.

Saw flashing blue lights in my mirror this morning. Kinda scary even though they were not after me. :P

I know the feeling, happened me a few time but they were after me.

I know the feeling, happened me a few time but they were after me.

Why? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

And then for a split second you think "should I put the foot down" then you realise they are after someone else.

Why? :eek:

Different things. Most recent I was doing doughnuts on main streets crossroad. I told them I didn't know which road I was planing on taking so I was going around in circles, while deciding which way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Different things. Most recent I was doing doughnuts on main streets crossroad. I told them I didn't know which road I was planing on taking so I was going around in circles, while deciding which way to go.

Tell them that's a Parking Orbit. :D

And then for a split second you think "should I put the foot down" then you realise they are after someone else.

When you drive a 1.2 Punto, there is no point of even thinking that. :pac:

haha it just pops into your brain like it was hanging around waiting for its chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Welded diff club? :D

• Advertisement

I know someone who done that and they weren't even after him and he got banned from driving for 5 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement