Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I know someone who done that and they weren't even after him and he got banned from driving for 5 years.

Well its just a feeling for 1 or 2 seconds then common sense kicks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Well its just a feeling for 1 or 2 seconds then common sense kicks in.

For most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I love reading RSA/Garda/Insurance industry public releases. If they weren't so serious they'd be hilarious.

1 in 3 drivers dead not wearing seatbelts. Not very funny, but no mention of how actual Gardai on the streets should be used to combat this rather than flash for cash vans.

Also, the key to sfe driving is to be having great bants - silence and concentration are a no no.

"The traffic bureau chief called on people to speak out. “So many people are silent when they should speak up” and they have lifelong regrets afterward that “I should have said something.”

He added: “You have drivers out there who have passengers who are usually very talkative but then are quiet in the car. That’s an indication very often that you’re a bad driver. If the person doesn’t talk to you when you’re driving the chances are they’re afraid, so you need to look at your driving.”
    "

Afraid? Afraid I'll tell them "put a fvking sock in it, I'm trying to watch all these morons we're sharing the road with"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...If the person doesn’t talk to you when you’re driving the chances are they’re afraid, so you need to look at your driving their head is jammed up against the side-window while you arsehole around that hairpin with more sideways action than Seanie Fitz. Durt a' ya!!"

Fixed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I wish someone would make a diesel RX8 :D

I just puked! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Different things. Most recent I was doing doughnuts on main streets crossroad. I told them I didn't know which road I was planing on taking so I was going around in circles, while deciding which way to go.

Found this much funnier than I probably should have.........

Maybe that's becusee tis Friday or I'm just a big child......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I just puked! :(

Well good!

The more reactions I get like this the more tempted I am to make one out of spite.

You think I'm joking? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Welp, the rotor's only spinning at about 3000rpm at the redline.

Still, sticking an oilburner in it is missing out on the car's signature feature.

A supercharged hayabuse or K1600 engine.... that'd be a thing to swap in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

As above, it would be just out of spite rather than something to be taken seriously. I have a 2.8 non turbo sofim engine at my disposal... You never know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

As above, it would be just out of spite rather than something to be taken seriously. I have a 2.8 non turbo sofim engine at my disposal... You never know

Go on! Go on! Go on! Go on! Go on! Go on!:D

• Advertisement

Wheel Wizards in Finglas.

I'm getting deja vu. Anyone care to guess what the German for deja vu is? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Dartz wrote: »
    Welp, the rotor's only spinning at about 3000rpm at the redline.

Still, sticking an oilburner in it is missing out on the car's signature feature.

A supercharged hayabuse or K1600 engine.... that'd be a thing to swap in.

Just add rotors man, nothing else :)
    No other engines should be in there!

Go on! Go on! Go on! Go on! Go on! Go on!:D

Actually, with one caveat:
    It has to be a rotary diesel engine! Otherwise, anyone could do it. :P
    You will be given one rotary engine of your choice, a shed full of tools, a scrapyard for spares and Robert Llewellyn yelling at you how much time you got left. On your marks...!

I'm getting deja vu. Anyone care to guess what the German for deja vu is? :P

I don't know, but 'deja' in Latvian means 'dance'. :P

GvidoR wrote: »
    I don't know, but 'deja' in Latvian means 'dance'. :P

Google suggests it's French for "already seen".
    Makes sense to me. So German is "Bereits gesehen". So no nifty German expression for the feeling of deja vu.
    I leave you with this:

9gBL1nN.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hmm so I bought my car on May 20th

So I have it twelve weeks Wednesday just gone.

In that time, I've done 5436 miles :eek: almost all of them work related :eek:

Works out at almost 24k miles per year if it keeps up

The mileage counter has two settings, one for overall mileage, and one for individual trip mileage, and I usually have it on trip mileage to record the mileage for expenses, so didn't notice the amount!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Stheno wrote: »
    Hmm so I bought my car on May 20th

So I have it twelve weeks Wednesday just gone.

In that time, I've done 5436 miles :eek: almost all of them work related :eek:

Works out at almost 24k miles per year if it keeps up

The mileage counter has two settings, one for overall mileage, and one for individual trip mileage, and I usually have it on trip mileage to record the mileage for expenses, so didn't notice the amount!

I got mine on the 15th may I only have 6.5k km put up on it I may start driving it more :pac: Was in my Mums octy for the first time in months and that's just passed the 110k km mark it will be 4 years old in December. This is about the longest they have kept a car since well before I was born anyway. It needs an nct now soon my mother was asking about it as this will be her first one to do ever :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CIP4 wrote: »
    I got mine on the 15th may I only have 6.5k km put up on it I may start driving it more :pac: Was in my Mums octy for the first time in months and that's just passed the 110k km mark it will be 4 years old in December. This is about the longest they have kept a car since well before I was born anyway. It needs an nct now soon my mother was asking about it as this will be her first one to do ever :eek:
    Ah well I've done over 800 this week alone, and have spent a shedload of time in the North and Cork since I got it so no surprise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Iv done 2000 kilometres since Tuesday as been touring the country on my hols! Wouldn't want to be doing it every week I'd be broke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

New discs and pads on.

Fairly stops :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Ah well I've done over 800 this week alone, and have spent a shedload of time in the North and Cork since I got it so no surprise :)

You'd be a bit like my dad so well he doesn't work to much in ireland so doesn't actually end up clocking up high annual mileage but when he would be here he could do 2k km in a week easy enough traveling from project to project.
    Gavman84 wrote: »
    Iv done 2000 kilometres since Tuesday as been touring the country on my hols! Wouldn't want to be doing it every week I'd be broke!

It sounds like a nice way to spend your holidays. I keep planning to do a proper road trip around Ireland there is so much of it I haven't seen but never get around to it. It will probably be after my final year of college at this stage.

Rugby world cup tickets arrived today. ROAD TRIP!!!! Its only Cardiff and Exeter but its been a while (2008/9 maybe) since I left Ireland by car. We're taking the brothers Civic (daysul) because the trip is crippling me financially as it is so the Volvo can stay put for a week. Really looking forward to it now :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Rugby world cup tickets arrived today. ROAD TRIP!!!! Its only Cardiff and Exeter but its been a while (2008/9 maybe) since I left Ireland by car. We're taking the brothers Civic (daysul) because the trip is crippling me financially as it is so the Volvo can stay put for a week. Really looking forward to it now :D

Class.

beertons wrote: »
    Class.

A year of planning eventually started taking shape when the tickets arrived. I'm like a child on christmas eve except that christmas eve will go on for the next 2 months :pac: The road trip even has me excited! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Never really thought that driving an "Enthusiasts" car would be any different to driving any other car but the last week has shown anything but that. Even just this week as I passed a few other E39 Sports they all waved or signaled to me as I passed, even some in work just come in and chat to me about it. While I popped in to work earlier today I had a guy pull up in an E60 525i and start to talk to me about mine as he had one before and offered to give me a genuine Roof Rack and glove box torch :cool:

No...No...No....No..... Not the hot Start issue with the RX8.... Noooooooo

Only after 30 minutes for some weird reason.

I think I bought the Focus on Feb 19th (could be wrong, though), which means 6 months in it (thought I had it longer - goes to show!) and I've put approximately 14,000 miles on it (about 22,000 km I think).

I actually enjoy it.. I love putting mileage on it just 'to see'. Wondering will it ever break down. It's going like a soldier since day one with nothing but a heat shield repair (€30), 5ltrs of Oil (~€30?) and a set of part worn tyres (and it only got them on Wednesday!). It's the car that just keeps on giving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sounds good but expensive mind you. I am not a rugby supporter so I do not even know when it is on, I'm more a soccer supporter.

Sounds good but expensive mind you. I am not a rugby supporter so I do not even know when it is on, I'm more a soccer supporter.

Expensive alright but not stupidly expensive. I'm sure it'll be worth every penny. When I heard the UK were hosting it a good while back I said I have to be there. Can't see it been held here any time soon (2023 maybe) so this is the next best thing. 18th of September to the 31st of October is when its on.

• Advertisement

A year of planning eventually started taking shape when the tickets arrived. I'm like a child on christmas eve except that christmas eve will go on for the next 2 months :pac: The road trip even has me excited! :P

There are still tickets for all the Ireland games.

I'm half thinking of checking out Ireland France this weekene

THere was a bentley outside my local this evening

There are still tickets for all the Ireland games.

I'm half thinking of checking out Ireland France this weekene

THere was a bentley outside my local this evening

I'll be there!

Can't afford it.

Turned all my money into global warming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Never really thought that driving an "Enthusiasts" car would be any different to driving any other car but the last week has shown anything but that. Even just this week as I passed a few other E39 Sports they all waved or signaled to me as I passed, even some in work just come in and chat to me about it. While I popped in to work earlier today I had a guy pull up in an E60 525i and start to talk to me about mine as he had one before and offered to give me a genuine Roof Rack and glove box torch :cool:

doggers?:confused:

davycc wrote: »
    doggers?:confused:

Very possible but I'd hope not in a main town anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

T'would give a new meaning to your name anyway :D.

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    T'would give a new meaning to your name anyway :D.

That car is no stranger to dogging :pac:

1437318683402_zpsd2x2k3qg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Where'd you get the boards sticker?

It was available for a limited amount of time. It's a boards motoring sticker.

As Gvidor says, they were available for a limited period last year, I have a spare one floating about somewhere.

As Gvidor says, they were available for a limited period last year, I have a spare one floating about somewhere.

Jaysus better bring that to the safe deposit box. Could be worth money in a few years

• Advertisement

Jaysus better bring that to the safe deposit box. Could be worth money in a few years

He could also scan them, get more stickers made and get a number of moneys. :pac:

He could also scan them, get more stickers made and get a number of moneys. :pac:

They wouldn't be originals then and wouldn't be worth anything.

Also what is it with people selling fake 'Shell motor spirit sold here' signs and the like? Did they buy a cheap desktop CNC machine from China and find out making those things is all it's good for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

New discs and pads on.

Fairly stops :p

Why the hell I read it as
    New dicks and pads on. [...]
    Too much beer likely. :o

:D

Please accept my apologies.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Unregistered Users

What?

Nothing. S'all good. :)

Unregistered Users

Alright so.

A road lane that charges electric cars. :eek:

CMdfodmWcAAXEtt.jpg

This will be tested in UK. Apparently should take 60 km to fully charge a Chevy Volt.

I wonder how efficient that is and how much power would be lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

A road lane that charges electric cars. :eek:

This will be tested in UK. Apparently should take 60 km to fully charge a Chevy Volt.

Which would allow it to travel almost 60km under battery power alone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement