Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

You and your fancy car computers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Me: must check oil- press button

Computer: BONG! Engine must be warmed up, no check

Me: week(s) later with warm engine, must check oil

Computer: BONG! Car must be on level surface, no check

Me: feck that for a game of cowboys, if it's that clever it will tell me if it wants oil!

You can only check mine when your starting the car and it's running its check if you press a button at that time it will show up oil level. It's only a kind of rough guide but that's all you want it's not going to be majorly out either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

GvidoR wrote: »
    You and your fancy car computers...

Say it, brother. "BONG" your sister - give me a decent, Christan dipstick!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You've done 19500 miles in the last two years?

That's perfect big engine petrol territory

Try 20000 a year in a petrol getting 26 mpg....

You see, theres a small problem with that 'logic' - I like having money :p

Thats €2k saved in fuel costs in 2 years by not driving a petrol. €3k if you include the difference in tax to a 2.5L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Thats €2k saved in fuel costs in 2 years by not driving a petrol. €3k if you include the difference in tax to a 2.5L.

Take your filthy logic and begone good sir !

Me: must check oil- press button

Computer: BONG! Engine must be warmed up, no check

Me: week(s) later with warm engine, must check oil...

Why on earth would you need to be warm to check the oil, unless it's one of these funny dry-sump setups like an Aprilia/Rotax? It's not the pressure it's reporting, is it??

jimgoose wrote: »
    Why on earth would you need to be warm to check the oil, unless it's one of these funny dry-sump setups like an Aprilia/Rotax? It's not the pressure it's reporting, is it??

Every car/manufacturer has something different in their user manual for how to check the oil. For the E46 it's get the car to full operating temp, turn off the engine and then check the level ~10 minutes later.

All to do with physics, things expanding when hot and whatnot :p

Every car/manufacturer has something different in their user manual for how to check the oil. For the E46 it's get the car to full operating temp, turn off the engine and then check the level ~10 minutes later.

All to do with physics, things expanding when hot and whatnot :p

Mmm. Not much use when you want to dip the thing and it's drier than an Arab's arse in a sandstorm. However, I shall defer to their Teutonic Tenacity! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant find the thread about the car sales people, or I'm not even sure there was one, but i called about two cars last week, two different garages and the sales people I dealt with were probably the two worst in the industry! One is a reputable dealer in Limerick, who was the grumpiest fecker ever, asked about a car and just got a NO and dropped the phone, was there a reason he didnt offer me something else or enquire what I was looking at to see if they could source one?

The other was a place in Co. Cork who could have offered the alternative in the Marque that he was selling? How are these lads making any money if they are on commission or how are they still being employed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

jimgoose wrote: »

Dunno Jim, dat's what the 'puter says, as you see it's greyed out here

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Any reason there's a mountain of saabs for sale cheaply in the UK ?

Seem to be tripping over them in any spec you want for cheap.

A newer than 08 93 1.9tid auto with cream leather interior and plenty of extras for less than 2.5K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Mc Love wrote:
    Cant find the thread about the car sales people, or I'm not even sure there was one, but i called about two cars last week, two different garages and the sales people I dealt with were probably the two worst in the industry! One is a reputable dealer in Limerick, who was the grumpiest fecker ever, asked about a car and just got a NO and dropped the phone, was there a reason he didnt offer me something else or enquire what I was looking at to see if they could source one?

Are you upgrading?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Is there parts available for them now since they no longer exist?

That's the way I would think. I'd like a petrol weekend car but wouldn't see the sense in covering massive miles in an older uneconomical petrol because it revs higher than a diesel and sounds quieter when idling I mean what difference does that make on a day to day basis. Don't get me wrong I'm sure 2.5 v6 petrol and 335i bmw petrols etc are really nice cars but standard petrol cars are nothing to get excited about. I drove 6 or 7 standard mid size petrol cars when last changing and the only one I liked was a mk5 1.6 fsi golf 6 speed which was a lovely car and id of probably bought that only for it was 3dr which I simply didn't want. I mean I drove a 1.4 petrol Astra which was quite frankly horrible i30 was ok to drive but I don't like them. My point is comparing them to there equivalent diesel versions in a lot of cases the diesel is nicer to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

220km driven. Not even a half-tank used. That's an odd feeling.

Seems to have recovered from its bout of **** petrol-itis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Hummer parked in the middle of o connell street dublin on the center pedestrian area with a clamp on it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Are you upgrading?

God no! Love my mondy

Was calling for the MIL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

€2k in two years isn't exactly a mahoosive saving given the other costs incurred with owning and running cars...

At that mileage, it'd be petrol all the way for me. A 320ci is nicer to drive than a 320d.....

CIP4 wrote: »
    That's the way I would think. I'd like a petrol weekend car but wouldn't see the sense in covering massive miles in an older uneconomical petrol because it revs higher than a diesel and sounds quieter when idling I mean what difference does that make on a day to day basis. Don't get me wrong I'm sure 2.5 v6 petrol and 335i bmw petrols etc are really nice cars but standard petrol cars are nothing to get excited about. I drove 6 or 7 standard mid size petrol cars when last changing and the only one I liked was a mk5 1.6 fsi golf 6 speed which was a lovely car and id of probably bought that only for it was 3dr which I simply didn't want. I mean I drove a 1.4 petrol Astra which was quite frankly horrible i30 was ok to drive but I don't like them. My point is comparing them to there equivalent diesel versions in a lot of cases the diesel is nicer to drive.

Covering massive miles in an older big engined petrol is illogical alright. Plenty of standard petrol cars out there to get excited about, you just haven't driven any...a 1.4 petrol Astra isn't going to compare to a 1.8t car......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

166man wrote: »
    Covering massive miles in an older big engined petrol is illogical alright. Plenty of standard petrol cars out there to get excited about, you just haven't driven any...a 1.4 petrol Astra isn't going to compare to a 1.8t car......

When he eventually gets one he'll understand :)
    21k on mine since January, no want at all for diesel :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭5ub

I've done easily upwards of 20k miles in an E36 328i in the last 12 months. No issues and it certainly wasn't breaking the bank (and I'm not exactly flush with cash!). Most of it was motorway mileage, and the cost of running it compared to a 320d (my last car) were marginal.

5ub wrote: »
    I've done easily upwards of 20k miles in an E36 328i in the last 12 months. No issues and it certainly wasn't breaking the bank (and I'm not exactly flush with cash!). Most of it was motorway mileage, and the cost of running it compared to a 320d (my last car) were marginal.

I've been running a 23i and it's been pretty flawless too :)
    Here's to the e36's :)

Never driven an E36.

Always liked the look of them though.

Never driven an E36.

Always liked the look of them though.

You can try my one next sunday, needs a top mount but you'll get the idea!
    Nowhere near as nippy as your own man!

YbFocus wrote: »
    I've been running a 23i and it's been pretty flawless too :)
    Here's to the e36's :)

Yeah its been a great car, great fun whatever the weather :D

Yeah its been a great car, great fun whatever the weather :D

Especially the wet though, they are great fun then :)

• Advertisement

Especially the wet though, they are great fun then :)

You know you're an E36 owner when you look outside and get excited to see rain :D

You know you're an E36 owner when you look outside and get excited to see rain :D

Ah they are a fantastic car :)
    I had an e60 before it and I am blown away by the e36, it doesn't have Idrive but after that it's so so much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I think an E36 might actually be whats next for me, either a Touring the haul the dog around or a Coupe.

Oh well that's kind of my point higher bhp petrol engines are interesting but the standard entry ones for the majority of standard cars are no nicer than a diesel version generally.

I do plan on getting a petrol but unless I end up doing tiny annual mileage or get one as a weekend car which will be a few years away

€2k in two years isn't exactly a mahoosive saving given the other costs incurred with owning and running cars...

At that mileage, it'd be petrol all the way for me. A 320ci is nicer to drive than a 320d.....

What exactly do you mean with given the other costs incurred? Sure they're the same with every car. If you've a grand a year to piss away because you don't like diesels, thats good for you - I don't :p That's ~5k saved since I've owned the car. How many crappy alfas could you buy for 5k? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm saving about 25 quid a week on fuel compared to the old car. It's great. More if I cruise around 95-100km/h with a smug grin on my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

What exactly do you mean with given the other costs incurred? Sure they're the same with every car. If you've a grand a year to piss away because you don't like diesels, thats good for you - I don't :p That's ~5k saved since I've owned the car. How many crappy alfas could you buy for 5k? :p

Not mine :pac:

You can try my one next sunday, needs a top mount but you'll get the idea!
    Nowhere near as nippy as your own man!

Sounds good man :)

Lol at the CAO thread. Some of them are on about going out to take a newspaper as they are dropped at shop doors, as they have all the major course entry points printed in them. Seems as if they can't wait until 7 o'clock in the morning....

I am doing nothing but blowing bulbs!
    Must have replaced the headlight bulbs at least 3 times this past year in the focus.
    What are them ones that a lot of ye seem to use (I know colm and bp use them), they give out a brighter light.

Would they look stupid when the spot lights would be on with 'standard bulbs'?

Nightbreakers noccy, still loving the fact you are like the nightly madman chatting between you and yourself :)

On way to Cork now for the holidays!
    A week's epic driving in Cork and kerry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're replacing standard bulbs 3 times a year, you'll replace nightbreakers every Tuesday.

Bad roads up your way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you're replacing standard bulbs 3 times a year, you'll replace nightbreakers every Tuesday.

Bad roads up your way?

Sounds like a job for heavy duty bulbs alright rather than ultimate brightness.

Got my order from MicksGarage. Great packing. :rolleyes:

20461044088_340b2ac80e_c.jpg

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Mmmmmm, Hypalube!

Hypalube and a funnel! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ooh, matron!

Looks like I'm getting a new funnel in the post. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

CIP4 wrote: »
    Oh well that's kind of my point higher bhp petrol engines are interesting but the standard entry ones for the majority of standard cars are no nicer than a diesel version generally.

I do plan on getting a petrol but unless I end up doing tiny annual mileage or get one as a weekend car which will be a few years away

A 1.6 turbo petrol is nicer than a 1.6 turbo diesel I nearly any comparison I have driven. Fact. For example a 2.0t Audi A6 is nicer than a 2.0tdi A6... Picked that example because I have driven both and its a fair comparison. :)

...other costs such as depreciation? Maintenance?

You have done less than 10k miles a year and driving a diesel? For what you paid for the E46 (or even what it owes you now) you could have bought the equivalent petrol for less money in the first place, covering the difference in fuel costs. And a sixer BMW petrol is nicer than a rattly four banger daysul....;)

You could buy a lot of Alfa for €5k but because you're so ignorant towards the brand in General I wouldn't try and explain it to you...:)

YbFocus wrote:
    Nightbreakers noccy, still loving the fact you are like the nightly madman chatting between you and yourself

Ha, ya, I'd take an urge and then post, however OT it may be! Fear not though, it'll soon be back to brass tax and you won't see me here past 12.... yay....
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Bad roads up your way?

Well ya I suppose, lots if dips, bumps etc. Best stay away from them so. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

drove an automatic car for the first time the other day, a 08 toyota avensis luna that my granny drives even has a dimming rear view mirror :cool: took it out to faugheen for the motorbike race

this was there as well as the bikes :D
    7XGBQWv.gif

Think the lap average speed was around 144mph for him he was very quick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

OSI wrote: »
    kph maybe? 144mph is F1 car around Spa quick.

not sure, could be wrong. the bikes were only doing 85 - 100 mph avg laps and the car was way quicker through the turns so I'd believe it was above 100mph anyway. I'll have a look on the website see if its written anywhere

edit.. can't see anywhere its written down. maybe it was that he was doing 144 mph on the straights that would make more sense. was craig breen driving

...other costs such as depreciation? Maintenance?

You have done less than 10k miles a year and driving a diesel? For what you paid for the E46 (or even what it owes you now) you could have bought the equivalent petrol for less money in the first place, covering the difference in fuel costs. And a sixer BMW petrol is nicer than a rattly four banger daysul....;)

You could buy a lot of Alfa for €5k but because you're so ignorant towards the brand in General I wouldn't try and explain it to you...:)

Every car has depreciation and maintenance costs. I'd be willing to bet you spend a lot more on maintenance than I do, considering how alfas go through parts. That doesn't mean you ignore €1k saving a year on fuel. That's like anti-logic.

Besides, I bought it for ~7k 5 years ago. 320d's are still fetching 5k+ now. You'll find very few petrols hold their value that well. And here's the beauty. It's just about paid for itself in that money I've saved on fuel.

But, seeing as you're so ignorant towards diesels in general, I wouldn't try explain it to you.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Meowwwww the claws are out....

• Advertisement

Besides, I bought it for ~7k 5 years ago. 320d's are still fetching 5k+ now. You'll find very few petrols hold their value that well. And here's the beauty. It's just about paid for itself in that money I've saved on fuel.

Ohhhh you're gonna regret that.

Thems are two thingses you don't do around here

1. Bad mouth petrols

2. Bad mouth alfas.. hall naww

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement