Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Grrr... Can't get the Punto sump plug off :mad:

Whoever did the last oil change must have tightened it as hard as he possibly could. It's a weird 12mm hex socket. I put my foot on a wishbone and both hands on the ratchet handle but it won't move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

GvidoR wrote: »
    Grrr... Can't get the Punto sump plug off :mad:

Whoever did the last oil change must have tightened it as hard as he possibly could. It's a weird 12mm hex socket. I put my foot on a wishbone and both hands on the ratchet handle but it won't move.

Thats the norm bung for a Fiat of that vintage.

Make sure its in fully and break out a scaffolding pole on your breaker bar. Job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Thats the norm bung for a Fiat of that vintage.

Make sure its in fully and break out a scaffolding pole on your breaker bar. Job done

Law of the lever... the only physics a mechanic ever needs to know. Well, and gravity (so you get the feck out of the way of falling hot oil).

I tried a pipe from a Sky sattelite TV dish. Tried it again with a different ratchet and it's off. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Law of the lever... the only physics a mechanic ever needs to know. Well, and gravity (so you get the feck out of the way of falling hot oil).

As my safety lecturer always says Gravity is non negotiable :pac: if your at a height or the top of a ladder you'll come down no mater what how fast you come down is the thing.

• Advertisement

I tried a pipe from a Sky sattelite TV dish. Tried it again with a different ratchet and it's off. :)

The muscles came out in you :D

2.6 - 2.8 litres off the top of my head for oil :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

How my car said good morning to me today :pac:

received_1060635090621311_zpsu92kr4oi.jpeg

The muscles came out in you :D

2.6 - 2.8 litres off the top of my head for oil :)

That all?

I got 5L of Hypalube :D

How my car said good morning to me today :pac:

The holy trinity.... as in hole-y in your pocket :pac:

Probably ABS/Speed sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Lol at the CAO thread. Some of them are on about going out to take a newspaper as they are dropped at shop doors, as they have all the major course entry points printed in them. Seems as if they can't wait until 7 o'clock in the morning....

CAO offers first came out at 6am and its crazy how much of my friends stayed up until then just to see did they get accepted. I know a few who went to 24 hour shops at 5.30am (when the Independent gets delivered) to get a look and see what the points were going to be.

I stayed in bed until 7.30am, drove to work and got an email and text on the way from CAO with a course offer.. Happy that I got a full nights sleep :pac:

• Advertisement

The holy trinity.... as in hole-y in your pocket :pac:

Probably ABS/Speed sensor.

Yeah I must get it plugged into INPA soon to see what the craic is, not too worried about it anyway.

That all?

I got 5L of Hypalube :D

Tis a 1.2 8v I take?

16v is 2.8 - 3.0 depending on year and application

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

CAO offers first came out at 6am and its crazy how much of my friends stayed up until then just to see did they get accepted. I know a few who went to 24 hour shops at 5.30am (when the Independent gets delivered) to get a look and see what the points were going to be.

Is it 6, shows how out of tune I am with that department.

Best of luck anyway, hope you got what you wanted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Cork is like e36 paradise!
    FN you didn't tell me!

I feel at home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

YbFocus wrote: »
    FN you didn't tell me!

Tellin' ya biy. Ireland's Black Autobahn country! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

OSI wrote: »
    Ah sure no wonder. They don't even have the televisual box down there yet.

No business of it. We're all too busy going boolah on the South Ring and the M8, bah! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Every car has depreciation and maintenance costs. I'd be willing to bet you spend a lot more on maintenance than I do, considering how alfas go through parts. That doesn't mean you ignore €1k saving a year on fuel. That's like anti-logic.

Besides, I bought it for ~7k 5 years ago. 320d's are still fetching 5k+ now. You'll find very few petrols hold their value that well. And here's the beauty. It's just about paid for itself in that money I've saved on fuel.

But, seeing as you're so ignorant towards diesels in general, I wouldn't try explain it to you.... :pac:

Did 11k miles in my petrol 156 over a ten week period. All it needed was a rear shock mount and two tyres. Hardly that much now. My 166 is a different case as I essentially wanted to rebuild it.

The point was that for €1k more a year at that mileage, I'd easily have a petrol. As FN tell us, even 525i autos are economical out in the sticks.

It's funny even my 525i was excellent on fuel. Paid €1600 for it and sold it for well over €2k six months later. Logic...?

Finally, I actually like diesels, owned one myself even and loved it. But I saw little point in doing low miles in one so went back to petrol power.

See - I know 10k miles a year sounds like low miles, and it is when you work it out per week (192/week). Here's the thing though - I don't use my car like that, or even on a daily basis for commuting. I'll often do 5-600 miles over the course of 2 days, then the car will be sitting up for long periods of time.

If I was doing 10k a year and it was due to a small commute (30-40 miles a day), then I'd agree with you - petrol would make way more sense. The way I use the car I'd be going through 1-2 tanks of petrol every time I sat into the car. No matter how nice driving a petrol is, that's enough to make you hate driving it.

FN you didn't tell me!

There's rakes of em! You'll see plenty about too if you head out for a spin around 10/11, all the yobo's and YOUTHS :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

See - I know 10k miles a year sounds like low miles, and it is when you work it out per week (192/week). Here's the thing though - I don't use my car like that, or even on a daily basis for commuting. I'll often do 5-600 miles over the course of 2 days, then the car will be sitting up for long periods of time.

If I was doing 10k a year and it was due to a small commute (30-40 miles a day), then I'd agree with you - petrol would make way more sense. The way I use the car I'd be going through 1-2 tanks of petrol every time I sat into the car. No matter how nice driving a petrol is, that's enough to make you hate driving it.

Well to be fair I get what you're saying. On a long drive it's costly and frustrating having to fill twice alright...but those Sixers are economical.!

• Advertisement

What kind of tyre are doublestar and austone? There's rims in the shed with them on them. Never heard of them

What kind of tyre are doublestar and austone? There's rims in the shed with them on them. Never heard of them

Absolute sh*te

Absolute sh*te

Thought as much :pac:

There's rakes of em! You'll see plenty about too if you head out for a spin around 10/11, all the yobo's and YOUTHS :pac:

Feck off you :)
    I won't have a free minute today to meet, I'll catch ya at the meet :)

Feck off you :)
    I won't have a free minute today to meet, I'll catch ya at the meet :)

For that, I aint going :pac:

For that, I aint going :pac:

Fine :pac:

I'm drinking pints in the radisson now so i won't be out :)
    Got a jack lynch tunnel run video ;)

The amount of e36's is insane, one was behind me at a set of lights and another one passed at the same time!

Obviously not lexus rare!

All 4 cyls though ;)

Fine :pac:

I'm drinking pints in the radisson now so i won't be out :)
    Got a jack lynch tunnel run video ;)

The amount of e36's is insane, one was behind me at a set of lights and another one passed at the same time!

Obviously not lexus rare!

All 4 cyls though ;)

Radisson? I'll be meeting my boss there tomorrow at lunchtime! There's a quare amount of them alright, most are 316's with the odd 318Is and rarer 323.

I thought I saw Yb yesterday. Turned out to be 318is :pac:

Radisson? I'll be meeting my boss there tomorrow at lunchtime! There's a quare amount of them alright, most are 316's with the odd 318Is and rarer 323.

I'll be gone towards mizen early on, sh1t outta luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Did I see an E39 going through pana sat night with a taillight gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Paid my deposit on a 2008 Focus Mk2 1.8 TDCi! Not the mk2.5 that I was looking at earlier but this one has a timing chain put in instead of the timing belt. The (other) timing belt has also been just changed. It will have a fresh NCT for 2 years too. On top of it all the guys were putting in new brake disks and pads as I was walking in.

Collecting it on Saturday, can't wait :) It feels super fast coming from a 1.0 Yaris :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Pov06 wrote: »
    Paid my deposit on a 2008 Focus Mk2 1.8 TDCi! Not the mk2.5 that I was looking at earlier but this one has a timing chain put in instead of the timing belt. The (other) timing belt has also been just changed. It will have a fresh NCT for 2 years too. On top of it all the guys were putting in new brake disks and pads as I was walking in.

Collecting it on Saturday, can't wait :) It feels super fast coming from a 1.0 Yaris :D

Sounds good man, happy motoring :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Pov06 wrote: »

Congrats on that will feel like a big upgrade from a Yaris loads of power and more space. Should be a very comfy car even on the longest of trips. That's what find about my megane it is outrageously comfortable on even very long trips 3 hours plus but the golf, focus etc are all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Was just messing about on one of the insurance sites there, to move up to a 2.0 mondeo from a 1.8 cost about a fiver more and if I did wish to, it would cost me 100 quid more to insure the 2.5 v6 170 bhp, which can be easily sought in the UK for very little money.

ofcork wrote: »
    Did I see an E39 going through pana sat night with a taillight gone?

You might have :pac: May or may not have been me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

FN you didn't tell me!

Fixed that for you! :pac::p

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you! :cool::p

Quite clever!
    I do however like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

You doing the Healy pass while down there? Some lovely roads about there!

Gavman84 wrote: »
    You doing the Healy pass while down there? Some lovely roads about there!

Healy pass, molls gap, gap of dunloe, coast road out by dingle :)
    Great bit of driving planned!

• Advertisement

Anyone know why a lowered car would sit higher on one corner after getting brakes done (up on a lift presumably).

Thought it would settle back to normal height after a couple days but rear offside is a good 20mm higher than it was and im wondering is the spring unseated or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What is the world's most useless, senseless adaptation of a classic car? I'm picking one up tomorrow. Guess away.

Anyone know why a lowered car would sit higher on one corner after getting brakes done (up on a lift presumably).

Thought it would settle back to normal height after a couple days but rear offside is a good 20mm higher than it was and im wondering is the spring unseated or something.

Spring must be sitting wrongly, should always settle after a few hundred metres!

Marcusm wrote: »
    What is the world's most useless, senseless adaptation of a classic car? I'm picking one up tomorrow. Guess away.

Wood panelled mini estate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Marcusm wrote: »

Have you bought a shortie?

Bad wind noise :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think we should have...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Wood panelled mini estate

I should have been clearer, car is a 13 plate with 6k miles. I should acknowledge that I did own a launch edition Mini Clubman Cooper S which is probably similar to what you meant. It was a great car, have always regretted trading it. You are in the right ballpark.
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    Have you bought a shortie?

Wtf is a "shortie"?

Howdy chaps. I have a thread in the buying subforum, but i think I've kinda settled on a car, so thought I'd post in here, as id imagine ye guys would have a better combined knowledge of what im gonna ask (and as the buying thread gets longer, naturally less people will be interested in clicking in).

I'm looking at this:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/low-tax-2-year-nct-diesel-taxed-alloys-serviced/9461556?offset=2

Thing is I don't understand Insignia spec levels. On a motorcheck of just the reg plate, it comes up as: "2010 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 Cdti Exclus Ec/fl 5DR". I can find some info on the 'Exclusive' version, but I've no idea what Ec/fl stands for?

Also, if I was to buy this, is it possible (and by possible, i mean within the realms of realistic costing) to rip out the centre display and put the higher-spec'ed sat nav in, instead?

ie; go from this:

http://www.avonvalleygarage.co.uk/files/6714/3297/4754/IMGA0484.JPG

to this:

http://blog.drive24.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Vauxhall-Astra-1.3-CDTi-Ecoflex-Exclusiv1-1024x747.jpg

(bit sh*t that such a car wouldn't have a digital speedo and such :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

A shortie is one of those stupid minis that have been shortened. I've even seen a Micra turned into one. They look........well ****

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement