Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Marcusm wrote: »
    What is the world's most useless, senseless adaptation of a classic car? I'm picking one up tomorrow. Guess away.

Is it a Fiat 500L?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

What is the world's most useless, senseless adaptation of a classic car? I'm picking one up tomorrow. Guess away.

I would say Fiat 500L

But as it's a 13 plate i would have to go with Beetle Cabrio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I would say Fiat 500L

But as it's a 13 plate i would have to go with Beetle Cabrio

Nope, but I am trading in a Mini Cooper S convertible for it.

Maybe it's one of those Countrymans?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    A shortie is one of those stupid minis that have been shortened. I've even seen a Micra turned into one. They look........well ****

Never seen one but I guess there must be plenty of them as Mini is about to launch the Rocketman shortened hatchback. Given that the new Clubman is about the size of a 3 series touring, it might be a good idea.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe it's one of those Countrymans?

Too many doors........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

It is of course possible, you'd probably want 1k with ya to do it and someone like bmstuff to do it for you :)

If you are buying that or getting a look at it make sure the pics aren't hiding frontal damage, feck all info and pics are poor.

Also I'd pray he has the original wheels too, his new "alloys from germany" are a total state on it! They have destroyed the car.

Too many doors........

Some sort of DS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

What route would you choose to drive from Kilkenny city to Dun Laoire???

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    It is of course possible, you'd probably want 1k with ya to do it and someone like bmstuff to do it for you :)

If you are buying that or getting a look at it make sure the pics aren't hiding frontal damage, feck all info and pics are poor.

Also I'd pray he has the original wheels too, his new "alloys from germany" are a total state on it! They have destroyed the car.

Yeah Im not sold on the new wheels, but he did say there's no front damage, and he just didnt really realise he hadn't photographed the front.

I didn't think you'd be paying about 1k to change the head unit.

I've been looking at this, too...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-vauxhall-insignia-sri-nav-6-speed/10129296?offset=2

Dropping a year and getting a tax bill that's twice as high, for more money.. but overall nicer looking car (minus the colour).. Feel a bit torn. (Genuinely unsure why the tax is doubling on a 2ltr diesel of the same car, both post -08?!)

Some sort of DS?

You were very warm and you're now very cold (only the engine is the same).

I've googled BA's shorties, what the hell, shortened versions of the original Mini. I'm 6'5" and more stones than than I care to acknowledge so those would not be for me.

Autosport wrote: »
    What route would you choose to drive from Kilkenny city to Dun Laoire???

For speed or beauty? M9 up to M50 then around to Cherrywood exit, across Wyatville etc or KK - Carlow- Carnew-Gorey then up M11 if you were being difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

For speed or beauty? M9 up to M50 then around to Cherrywood exit, across Wyatville etc or KK - Carlow- Carnew-Gorey then up M11 if you were being difficult.

Thanks, its more for speed on the way up but on the way home it will probably be beauty :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Yeah Im not sold on the new wheels, but he did say there's no front damage, and he just didnt really realise he hadn't photographed the front.

I didn't think you'd be paying about 1k to change the head unit.

I've been looking at this, too...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-vauxhall-insignia-sri-nav-6-speed/10129296?offset=2

Dropping a year and getting a tax bill that's twice as high, for more money.. but overall nicer looking car (minus the colour).. Feel a bit torn. (Genuinely unsure why the tax is doubling on a 2ltr diesel of the same car, both post -08?!)

The radio below the screen is different in both so that would need changing kkv, as well as the buying and fitting of the screen, which may need a different/extra wiring loom or something in the ecu coded for it.
    Wouldn't be far off 1k I reckon!

I'd be sold on the second to be honest!
    Get him down in the price a bit and that's a beauty of a car, it makes a show of the first one!

You were very warm and you're now very cold (only the engine is the same).

I've googled BA's shorties, what the hell, shortened versions of the original Mini. I'm 6'5" and more stones than than I care to acknowledge so those would not be for me.

So it's a 1.6 diesel?

It's not a clubvan is it?

I think mini gave a BMW engine now instead of the PSA engine.

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »
    Thanks, its more for speed on the way up but on the way home it will probably be beauty :)

In which case, go through Dublin mountains, Military Road etc, across to Blessington then down N81 but assume double the time.

So it's a 1.6 diesel?

It's not a clubvan is it?

I think mini gave a BMW engine now instead of the PSA engine.

No fecking diesels and you need to get closer to your earlier suggestion.

2013-fiat-500-2.jpg
    I guess then.

Hardly pointless, cool looking cars.

Ooh, it's a 1.6 THP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Same here. Saw a white one with tints last week and actually thought it was some cool JDM import.

Ooh, it's a 1.6 THP

N18 is, I think, the designation. As an additional hint, my car was assembled in Austria.

Paceman?

N18 is, I think, the designation. As an additional hint, my car was assembled in Austria.

Too ez

Mini-Paceman.jpg

Exactly. And while I say it's the most useless adaptation, it's actually useful for me. I think my knees are getting tired of climbing down! Now to look for a replacement for the 10 year old v8 Range Rover or keep it because it's so reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Paceman?

Ah, I can see the pointless angle now. Although Id rather they kept that in the range and got rid of the 5dr hatch. I really think some of the Chinese mini clones look better, or at least no worse than the 5dr hatch.

For the record the most pointless adaptation is the mini coupe. Gawk.

A final insignia question (although not directly related to the insignia at all..).. i know a few on here have done interior swaps?

What kinda cash would yer man be wanting for this, can i ask (I've genuinely no idea on what this kinda thing sells for)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/carparts-for-sale/2010-opel-insignia-leather-interior/7104871?offset=8

Full leather my arse that's half leather

I thought that too.

I was being tongue in cheek about the "useless", I always thought it looked great from when it was originally announced. I agree about the coupe but the 5 door hatch is only a recent launch. For those who thought the 2001 relaunch was huge, they need to readdress their views now.

• Advertisement

Ah, clearly it's half leather, but if it was reasonably priced (and wouldnt cost too much to get someone to install it.. who does that? A mechanic? panel beater?) then I'd consider it as an upgrade, seen as it's readily available and all.. whatever I buy next (looking very likely to be that 09 insignia) is sticking around for a long time, so if im gonna do this kinda thing, im gonna do it from day 1. Otherwise I'll never do it.

Also with my arch gap thing this is the kinda level of change,

11911891_1010556788978582_903855396_n.jpg?oh=69a3133c00d53b04b599940dfc4f328e&oe=55D4F311

to now

11872861_1010557045645223_1613641429_n.jpg?oh=d1f5135e5bbb361a082ac969e84a9f71&oe=55D509D3

Thought rear bushings were shot until i noriced it was still sitting high, will have a look at spring seating tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ah, clearly it's half leather, but if it was reasonably priced (and wouldnt cost too much to get someone to install it.. who does that? A mechanic? panel beater?) then I'd consider it as an upgrade, seen as it's readily available and all.. whatever I buy next (looking very likely to be that 09 insignia) is sticking around for a long time, so if im gonna do this kinda thing, im gonna do it from day 1. Otherwise I'll never do it.

Full interior (manual/leccy?) including doorcards for a '10.... could be in the region of €1k just for the interior depending on how scarce they are.

You fit them yourself unless you're quadriplegic. Only thing to do would be disconnect the battery so the airbags don't go off.

I was being tongue in cheek about the "useless", I always thought it looked great from when it was originally announced. I agree about the coupe but the 5 door hatch is only a recent launch. For those who thought the 2001 relaunch was huge, they need to readdress their views now.

Oh yeah I realise that was tongue in cheek, I was only acknowledging that it was a possible perception of them. Are they in or out of the range now, haven't kept up with them really except for tales of woe with engines other than the brazilian built tritec!

I like the clubmans, wish there was a version with the tritec rather than the prince.

Full interior (manual/leccy?) including doorcards for a '10.... could be in the region of €1k just for the interior depending on how scarce they are.

You fit them yourself unless you're quadriplegic. Only thing to do would be disconnect the battery so the airbags don't go off.

Meh.. balls to that. If it were a full leather interior and around 500-600 i'd have probably went for it, but I'm not paying a grand so the outer side of my thigh can be touching a bit of leather. :(

There's cheaper ways to do that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Lads, forget the tin can exhausts and your Mongoose, Stahlmann etc....this is the future of sports exhaust system manufacturing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Also with my arch gap thing this is the kinda level of change,

Thought rear bushings were shot until i noriced it was still sitting high, will have a look at spring seating tomorrow

That filter looks like you've terrible orange peel on the rear quarter :pac:

If it was an E46, they naturally have a slant... for unknown mysterious reasons :pac: But in your case I'd say +1 to the spring seating.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

Quality footage though. His friends, neighbours and workmates know this guy and know him for what he is now.

There's cheaper ways to do that :)

Hur hur hur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Have you ever driven an early insignia? They really aren't much of a car. Rough engine, poor gearbox, and they havent much of a rep.

The ones you're looking at are also imports and mostly used as fleet cars so I'd be looking at the miles closely etc...

You should just go out and buy a good car...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

YbFocus wrote: »
    Bad wind noise :o

Man you should've heard the CSL going throught that a few weeks ago, absolutely mental. Wish I had a GoPro setup for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

A final insignia question (although not directly related to the insignia at all..).. i know a few on here have done interior swaps?

What kinda cash would yer man be wanting for this, can i ask (I've genuinely no idea on what this kinda thing sells for)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/carparts-for-sale/2010-opel-insignia-leather-interior/7104871?offset=8

If you're going for an insignia, then just go for the top specs, elite or sri. They have most of what you would want. Messing around with radios seats etc will work out more expensive in the long run, then paying a little more for the high spec when buying.

This is a nice elite but mad mileage. Gives you the idea though

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10150423

Would you not go for a hatch? They are faaaaaar nicer then the estate. The back of the insignia estate looks like it was ran into by a bus. Major design flaw imo.

* Sorry can't find your thread.

I quite like the back of the insignia estate, I love that the whole rear cluster opens with the hatch, and you have a secondary set of lights in the boot -hearse style

2431.jpg
    vauxhall_insignia_sports_tourer_2009_029_250.jpg
    s31zRs.jpg

• Advertisement

Personal taste and all that, but that chrome strip looks out of place. It kinda slopes out aswell if you get me, as opposed to going straight down at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If you're going for an insignia, then just go for the top specs, elite or sri. They have most of what you would want. Messing around with radios seats etc will work out more expensive in the long run, then paying a little more for the high spec when buying.

This is a nice elite but mad mileage. Gives you the idea though

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10150423

Would you not go for a hatch? They are faaaaaar nicer then the estate. The back of the insignia estate looks like it was ran into by a bus. Major design flaw imo.

* Sorry can't find your thread.

That's an SE and misses heated leather and xenon headlights. The SRi isn't all that well specced, it's a midrange model.

That's an SE and misses heated leather and xenon headlights. The SRi isn't all that well specced, it's a midrange model.

So it is. Looked like an elite on a quick glance (wheels and leather).

The sri mightn't be that awful well specc'd, but it's still ahead of the 90% of boggo ones that are out there with them steelies that try to impersonate alloys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I think I may have switched off my car during a dpf regen there was a burning smell out of the exhaust. Only realised it had a dpf recently there is a sticker with it written French saying this vehicle is fitted with a dpf well it roughly says that anyway I was never the best at lc French. I'm going on a long trip tomorrow but it's back roads so won't get much of any opportunity there actually I haven't been on the motorway in a few weeks although that will soon change.

Provably won't start tomorrow now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement