Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Provably won't start tomorrow now.

Sure it's a Renault amazing it's lasted this long :pac:

In other news I never realised there is a facelift I30 passed one tonight. What's the story with the front leds half way down the wing also I didn't like the 3 rear tail lights at each side of the car they are way too long and thin rectangular like truck tail lights or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This?

i30_facelift_4.jpg

This?

No this one had normal bulb tail lights but there side by side on each side of the car made them look too rectangular I think. Front had led strips that seemed to wrap there way well onto the wing.

If you're going for an insignia, then just go for the top specs, elite or sri. They have most of what you would want. Messing around with radios seats etc will work out more expensive in the long run, then paying a little more for the high spec when buying.

This is a nice elite but mad mileage. Gives you the idea though

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10150423

Would you not go for a hatch? They are faaaaaar nicer then the estate. The back of the insignia estate looks like it was ran into by a bus. Major design flaw imo.

* Sorry can't find your thread.

I've been looking at 2008 onwards Insignias online, for less than 10k, and for some reason that one never appeared in my search results. :confused:

211km seems high for a 4 year old car, but I tend to see Insignias being used by sales reps a lot, so probably not that difficult to rack that up on the motorway if you're out and about 5 days a week?

166man wrote: »
    You should just go out and buy a good car...!

You could literally say that about any car at all I choose. Feel free to knock yourself out with suggestions:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96652160

I like the look of the Insignia, personally, but no, I've never been in one (have been in an Astra, though, which seems a hatch version of the Insignia in pretty much every way?!)

You look like you're going for the cheapest newest ones though.

You look like you're going for the cheapest newest ones though.

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that approach :P

But in the case of the Insignia it's far removed from the cheapest new one. That particular insignia is asking €9,700 for a 2009 with €570 tax.

As someone else posted above, there's a 2011 asking €9,000 with €280 tax. Better colour, too (blue vs silver).

I'm edging towards the older, pricier one, based on the dashboard, really (and the hope of less blank buttons).

Again, though, not necessarily seeing a major downside to trying to go as new as you can with your budget. The issue I have is that no matter what I find there's someone to shoot it down, and as i've nothing concrete wanted (ie; i bought a Rav4 before, and that was because I specifically wanted a Rav4 and nothing really would have deterred me), in this case I'm looking for a reliable car with a decent cargo area, air con and cruise control. It's so vague that it lends itself to many, many options :o All of which get shot down a lot :P

Here's a question - My 2006 407 was primarily in KM, but you could set the cruise control for either KM or Miles.

In a UK Import (primarily in Miles) can you still switch the cruise control to KM? I never thought of this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that approach :P

Its usually the cheapest car for a very good reason

Its usually the cheapest car for a very good reason

Ah, a good look over by a mechanic usually brings most issues to the fore. Id put a sense of urgency on a lot of low prices (people need the cash, fast) rather than the car is falling apart.

If anyone ever objects to a mechanic giving the car a look over, then you know it's knackered and have saved yourself the money.

I don't exactly have money to be throwing around, so I do keep my eyes peeled going in, and I have a good family friend mechanic so i know that most repair work will be reasonable (in comparison to most mechanics out there), so I don't mind taking a punt.

I've had the never-ending problem car already (407) so I'm well aware that I need to be checking and double checking everything going in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Man you should've heard the CSL going throught that a few weeks ago, absolutely mental. Wish I had a GoPro setup for it!

Oh i would have liked that man!
    Damn phone picked up the wind noise, even my car sounded well blasting through it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I quite like the back of the insignia estate, I love that the whole rear cluster opens with the hatch, and you have a secondary set of lights in the boot -hearse style

2431.jpg
    vauxhall_insignia_sports_tourer_2009_029_250.jpg
    s31zRs.jpg

What a humble tribute to a Nissan Micra built into the boot :D

Ah, a good look over by a mechanic usually brings most issues to the fore. Id put a sense of urgency on a lot of low prices (people need the cash, fast) rather than the car is falling apart.

If anyone ever objects to a mechanic giving the car a look over, then you know it's knackered and have saved yourself the money.

I don't exactly have money to be throwing around, so I do keep my eyes peeled going in, and I have a good family friend mechanic so i know that most repair work will be reasonable (in comparison to most mechanics out there), so I don't mind taking a punt.

I've had the never-ending problem car already (407) so I'm well aware that I need to be checking and double checking everything going in.

You mentioned you were looking at the megane. You would buy a mk3 estate very right probably 9 or even a bit less for a higher mileage private sale. Dynamique spec has cruise control, speed limiter, fog lights, alloys , a/c, excellent Bluetooth radio with music streaming (if you have an iPhone) that's a good bit of you list ticked off. They will be a bit down on power compared to a 2.0 mondeo or insignia as they are only 1.5dci.

CIP4 wrote: »
    You mentioned you were looking at the megane. You would buy a mk3 estate very right probably 9 or even a bit less for a higher mileage private sale. Dynamique spec has cruise control, speed limiter, fog lights, alloys , a/c, excellent Bluetooth radio with music streaming (if you have an iPhone) that's a good bit of you list ticked off. They will be a bit down on power compared to a 2.0 mondeo or insignia as they are only 1.5dci.

Megane's scare me as my brother has an 03 Megane, I've had an 06 407 and the brothers wife has had an 01 Xsara and they all gave electrical issues (the 407 more-so than the rest).

I can't really seem to find anything online to say that the french have gotten their act together in terms of electrical issues.

I don't mind being "down on power", as I'm not exactly gonna be tearing up the road in makeshift underground street races anyway. I'd imagine the 1.5 would be a tad more economical than the 2.0ltrs I'm looking at, which is a bonus, but I really haven't got the head to be dealing with electrical problems popping up. I'd end up going at the car with a hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Megane's scare me as my brother has an 03 Megane.

Arise CIP4 monster :pac:

Megane's scare me as my brother has an 03 Megane, I've had an 06 407 and the brothers wife has had an 01 Xsara and they all gave electrical issues (the 407 more-so than the rest).

I can't really seem to find anything online to say that the french have gotten their act together in terms of electrical issues.

I don't mind being "down on power", as I'm not exactly gonna be tearing up the road in makeshift underground street races anyway. I'd imagine the 1.5 would be a tad more economical than the 2.0ltrs I'm looking at, which is a bonus, but I really haven't got the head to be dealing with electrical problems popping up. I'd end up going at the car with a hammer.

There are zero electrical issues and it is in no way similar to a 407 or 03 megane quiet frankly the only thing that's the same on a mk2 megane and mk3 megane is the name. Reliability wouldn't bother me at all obviously once you dont buy one that's dogged to sh!t but that applies to all cars. I have a megane mk3 2011 so if you have any specific questions about them work away. They do 50 mpg won't do much less won't do much more so probably slightly better than the 2.0 litres not majorly though although a 6 speed 110bhp version might be slightly better on fuel than my 5 speed 90 bhp.

YbFocus wrote: »
    Arise CIP4 monster :pac:

I live for moments like this :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

http://www.adverts.ie/8364421

What do we think of this lads and lasses (mostly lasses)

Also on done deal http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9794325

Think i might want. The next similar one in the uk is 4k ish plus hassle of vrt etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

toastedpickles, where are you? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Today is such a belter of a day in the west, not a cloud to be seen. I'd say the only day of Summer we have had. A day for a drive so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

http://www.adverts.ie/8364421

What do we think of this lads and lasses (mostly lasses)

Also on done deal http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9794325

Think i might want. The next similar one in the uk is 4k ish plus hassle of vrt etc.

The red one looks like its the sort of car that will fade to pink in a few years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Mycroft H wrote: »
    The red one looks like its the sort of car that will fade to pink in a few years time

It has a bag of cocaine hanging from the rear view mirror :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

If I got a category C write-off repaired in a garage, would I need to get an engineer's report to re-insure it?

The insurance company said I may have to tell my broker that the car is repaired and get an engineer's report. It doesn't seem right to me though because it's not a cat A/B write-off.

Them alloys are manky. If it was on standard alloys it would be nice.

Today is such a belter of a day in the west, not a cloud to be seen. I'd say the only day of Summer we have had. A day for a drive so it is.

It's very nice today indeed. Anyone have a convertible I could borrow for a day? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

GvidoR wrote: »
    It's very nice today indeed. Anyone have a convertible I could borrow for a day? :P

hey i went to boyle sunday did some fishing near the girls school then went to the pub around 4ish for some bulmers and hurling:D
    no sign of a gold punto .
    only decent car i saw was a black 97ish lancer evo4/mivec doing laps of the town center like something from the hardy bucks

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »
    hey i went to boyle sunday did some fishing near the girls school then went to the pub around 4ish for some bulmers and hurling:D
    no sign of a gold punto .

I was passing Boyle at about 12:20 and going through Carrick on Shannon about 10 minutes later and coming back around 19:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

GvidoR wrote: »
    I was passing Boyle at about 12:20 and going through Carrick on Shannon about 10 minutes later and coming back around 19:30

boyle looked amazing in the sun your lucky to live in such a beautiful spot.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Advice taken on the red saab... the hunt continues.... but may fail and give up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

That SAAB looks good IMO, a quick cut and polish every 6 months will prevent it going pink, it certainly looks interesting in that colour. But its about 1k over priced for a SAAB.

Pov06 wrote: »
    If I got a category C write-off repaired in a garage, would I need to get an engineer's report to re-insure it?

The insurance company said I may have to tell my broker that the car is repaired and get an engineer's report. It doesn't seem right to me though because it's not a cat A/B write-off.

Sorry for posting this again, but any idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I have noticed this more and more;
    Some people finding it hard to sell are now starting to raffle their cars, for example they want 4k for their Audi but no body is buying, so they ask for 40 people to go into a draw at 100 euro a ticket to win the car.

The seller still gets his 4k with no need to give anyone a discount.

davycc wrote: »
    boyle looked amazing in the sun your lucky to live in such a beautiful spot.:)

It's good... in small increments, I guess. :pac:

Saw a beautiful grey S15 Silvia in town today. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

For those interested in the Paceman discussion last night........I wouldn't have been mad on silver or bonnet stripes but they seem to work well together. The interior is deep copper which is more like chocolate.

Marcusm wrote: »
    For those interested in the Paceman discussion last night........I wouldn't have been mad on silver or bonnet stripes but they seem to work well together. The interior is deep copper which is more like chocolate.

Some description of a mini passed me today 152 and it had kind of halo led drls around the fog lights I thought it looked well.

Noice!

gif-toy-55d305210328f.gif

that S2000 needs wheels balanced by the looks of it Gvidor ^

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bolomaster

Why in gods name is there so much choice for cars second hand. :(

Everything was going okay, thinking 2007 Ford Focus Estate and then I see this:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/fiat/doblo/used-2007-fiat-doblo-1-3-multijet-waterford-fpa-200914393823506740

My mission to find a vehicle with a large load area continues. :(

SR20DET powered Micra. Fcukin anti-christ

Looked at this today:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/10150423?offset=5

Seemed all to be in order with one exception. There was a bit of a humming noise coming from it. Seller was yammering on a bit, presumably to try and distract from it.

A quick google brings me here:

http://www.insignia-enthusiast.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1133

Would it still be worth a punt? All seems okay, otherwise (and obviously I'd get a mechanic to check it over).

He said he's panic selling it, pretty much, as he leaves for Australia tomorrow, and so if i want to buy it off him i'll have to deal with his brother (as he himself leaves early in the morning... unless i wanted to get it today, of course, but i had no intention of that).

Anyone know of this issue? Like i say, everything else, to a joe soap like myself, seems in order. Humming is the only issue and from googling it seems a common fault that appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bolomaster

Looked at this today:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/10150423?offset=5

Seemed all to be in order with one exception. There was a bit of a humming noise coming from it. Seller was yammering on a bit, presumably to try and distract from it.

A quick google brings me here:

http://www.insignia-enthusiast.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1133

Would it still be worth a punt? All seems okay, otherwise (and obviously I'd get a mechanic to check it over).

He said he's panic selling it, pretty much, as he leaves for Australia tomorrow, and so if i want to buy it off him i'll have to deal with his brother (as he himself leaves early in the morning... unless i wanted to get it today, of course, but i had no intention of that).

Anyone know of this issue? Like i say, everything else, to a joe soap like myself, seems in order. Humming is the only issue and from googling it seems a common fault that appears.
    Deal with the owner would be my recommendation.

If his brother is selling it and it checks out, lower your offer on it.

Just wondering why you want that car? 9k can get you plenty of other cars. I'm on the hunt myself, lower price bracket all the same but....

• Advertisement

Also looked at this today;

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-vauxhall-insignia-sri-nav-6-speed/10129296?offset=2

Yer man said his best price was 9,200, which I'm not keen on. It's a nice motor, but the wheels are very noticeable on it (a good thing), but also noticeably scuffed (a bad thing). Of the two I think I prefer the 2011 Blue one.

@kkv you should be in a good position to get a bit of discount on that car as most won't be too keen on buying off the brother having never met the seller. You would want to get a mechanic to check it over though as you said yourself.

On another note it's mad to think people are still leaving for Australia my dad left for Poland yesterday only for 5 weeks or so though it's his first time he's been over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Spotlessly clean but leaving kids toys in it for the picture out in a carpark, one lady owner called margaret but you're dealing with a guy who is leaving for australia in the morning and there's a different number in the description to the seller details

seems dodgy to me

Would you not spent a few pennies extra and buy off a dealer? I know I wouldn't be spending 9k private. With a dealer you get a warranty, peace of mind etc.

Bolomaster wrote: »
    Deal with the owner would be my recommendation.

If his brother is selling it and it checks out, lower your offer on it.

Just wondering why you want that car? 9k can get you plenty of other cars. I'm on the hunt myself, lower price bracket all the same but....

Well the people I met today were a man and woman (couple I presume). Seller is in her name, but really it was him that was doing the selling. She kinda kept to herself.

He said he's off to London tomorrow, and from there to Australia, so I won't see him around Ireland again, and so he has to hand it over to a family member to deal with.

9k can get a lot of variety, but I do quite like the Insignia. I am more than open to recommendations and opinions, but there doesnt seem to be an enormous amount with what i want (estate/suv cargo space, air con, cruise, post-08 where possible, etc.).

That blue insignia looks like the bees knees, with the exception of the humming from it. But if you could sort that out for less than 500-600 (and im sure you could) then it seems like a winner..?

Just unsure of what other precautions would be needed when buying from a person that's not the seller. I wont be moving on anything until later in the week, anyway, so im not rushing in, but it seems the favourite at the moment.

Would you not spent a few pennies extra and buy off a dealer? I know I wouldn't be spending 9k private. With a dealer you get a warranty, peace of mind etc.

This is all Im really seeing from a dealer that lines up similarly;

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vauxhall-insignia-exc-cdti-eflex-mint-f/10098248?offset=3

And it's 3k more expensive, so.. redface.png

Spotlessly clean but leaving kids toys in it for the picture out in a carpark, one lady owner called margaret but you're dealing with a guy who is leaving for australia in the morning and there's a different number in the description to the seller details

seems dodgy to me

It wasnt really that clean when I seen it, to be honest. Looked like it went a couple of weeks without a wash. In a follow up post above, i went into a bit more detail (that there was indeed a woman there).

45245110.jpeg

Are those tail lights in the boot for when the boot lid is open???

Did you see this? A woman took a photo of a police car parked in a disabled spot, uploaded it to Facebook and got a fine of €800 for doing so because apparently it offended Spanish police honor.

http://www.sunmotors.co.uk/news/police-fine-woman-for-taking-photo-of-illegally-parked-cops/

Id be the same I don't think I'd spend much over 5k buying privately again granted I spent a lot more than that on my golf privately but I kind of knew the seller. I bought my megane off main dealer and found it great you get your receipt and warranty full service and check over etc. as always though it depends on the car and the dealer.

• Advertisement

Pov06 wrote: »

Are those tail lights in the boot for when the boot lid is open???

That's the idea of them tail lights and indicators if you were stopped on a road at night with the boot open for safety more than anything they are of no benefit once boot is closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement