Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it's just fishy to get the car that tidy, bring it out to a carpark to take pictures but leave kids toys in it almost to help try sell the 'one lady owner' aspect. where are the child seats / booster seats for these pictures and if they were taken out why weren't the toys. why one lady owner when you're dealing with a man and his brother and why two separate numbers on the ad? not trying to discourage you but just 9k is a lot to be handing over in cash to a person who essentially isn't the owner of the car. it could be a clone or stolen or have some massive issue. the guy leaving just after meeting you is alarm bells territory. it's like they're already making excuses for being uncontactable after the sale before it has even happened

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bolomaster

it's just fishy to get the car that tidy, bring it out to a carpark to take pictures but leave kids toys in it almost to help try sell the 'one lady owner' aspect. where are the child seats / booster seats for these pictures and if they were taken out why weren't the toys. why one lady owner when you're dealing with a man and his brother and why two separate numbers on the ad? not trying to discourage you but just 9k is a lot to be handing over in cash to a person who essentially isn't the owner of the car. it could be a clone or stolen or have some massive issue. the guy leaving just after meeting you is alarm bells territory. it's like they're already making excuses for being uncontactable after the sale before it has even happened
    Basically this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

An unexpected bit of luck that I wasn't aware of!
    My car is 2006 and NCT was up January 2006. Got a letter from NCT, if it passes before 13 October 2015, I get another 2 years out of it. Nice!
    Test booked for early September, fingers crossed.
    Though this time I am quietly confident. If I can get the ABS light out on time! :eek:

edit:
    Don't worry, it's only a sensor at the wheel (famous last words).
    Can anyone recommend an app that can read Ford error codes? Torque is silent even on major system errors that show up on the dash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I honestly thought someone had stuck a gti badge on this. I think if I owned it i'd have to remove it.

bBpdg97.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Denis kinane did that. Put them on the front too.
    Went to look at a civic there in 2012 and there were 6 like that for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I hope he doesn't try to fool customers into thinking that it's a "Civic GTI".

Anyone who drives a 1.4 civic, then buys it will know it's not a hot hatch!

For sure but would he say something along the lines of "Here's a lovely car we just got in this morning, a top of the line Honda Civic GTI; the performance model"?

They were ultra straight any time I dealt with them. Their off-the-wall pricing was the only thing that stopped me buying (3 different times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Also looked at this today;

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-vauxhall-insignia-sri-nav-6-speed/10129296?offset=2

Yer man said his best price was 9,200, which I'm not keen on. It's a nice motor, but the wheels are very noticeable on it (a good thing), but also noticeably scuffed (a bad thing). Of the two I think I prefer the 2011 Blue one.

I really don't know what to say to you at this stage. I have tried my best to point you in the right direction, or at least away from the less desirable cars and yet you never seem to listen. You end up with big long threads asking people for advice, and then go and do exactly the opposite.

I remember the days of the 407 debate. Near everyone said avoid avoid avoid, they have a bad reputation, they are cheap for a reason etc, and you went right ahead and bought one, and guess what, it turned out to be a pile of dung.

I'm a relatively patient chap, but I feel any advice I give falls on deaf ears. Insignias are incredibly hit and miss cars, some do huge mileage, and other ones fall apart, especially the older ones. They aren't particulary good cars, don't drive well, rough engine and gearbox, cheap feeling interior, and reliability isn't great.

I have said this to you and yet you are still convinced on buying one, a UK fleet import (most likely ragged given the state of the wheels in the one you linked). The other one has sky high mileage and will be even higher and less saleable when you are done with it.

I don't get why you continually ask for advice but rarely use it. It's very frustrating, hence why I asked you why don't you go out and buy a good car!

/rant over.

Good luck with whatever you buy. I hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Oh meow.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think I've seen almost all that advice given against buying an alfa at one time or another, and yet... :pac:

I think I've seen almost all that advice given against buying an alfa at one time or another, and yet... :pac:

Sure I hate them yokes I'm driving a Mercedes at the moment, maybe that's why I'm so annoyed haha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Our insignia is going great so obviously we got a hit ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I can't keep away from French scrap myself :D

And I'm driving one of those Fix It Again Tomorrows :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Did a calculation of the average consumption on the Honda for the trip back and I think it's quite good.
    Averaged 6.58l per 100km which in old terms is something like 43mpg.
    The car was loaded to the balls, 2 adults and a lot of traffic, mountain climbing and frequent bursts of acceleration.
    Curious now what it would do with one adult and shag all luggage considering these engines are renowned for not being as economical as they would like you to think.
    In other news... the EML is on so I'm heading back to reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The amount of gold punto's I've seen in the past few days. It must have been a popular colour.

166man wrote: »
    I really don't know what to say to you at this stage. I have tried my best to point you in the right direction, or at least away from the less desirable cars and yet you never seem to listen. You end up with big long threads asking people for advice, and then go and do exactly the opposite.

I remember the days of the 407 debate. Near everyone said avoid avoid avoid, they have a bad reputation, they are cheap for a reason etc, and you went right ahead and bought one, and guess what, it turned out to be a pile of dung.

I'm a relatively patient chap, but I feel any advice I give falls on deaf ears. Insignias are incredibly hit and miss cars, some do huge mileage, and other ones fall apart, especially the older ones. They aren't particulary good cars, don't drive well, rough engine and gearbox, cheap feeling interior, and reliability isn't great.

I have said this to you and yet you are still convinced on buying one, a UK fleet import (most likely ragged given the state of the wheels in the one you linked). The other one has sky high mileage and will be even higher and less saleable when you are done with it.

I don't get why you continually ask for advice but rarely use it. It's very frustrating, hence why I asked you why don't you go out and buy a good car!

/rant over.

Good luck with whatever you buy. I hope it works out for you.

No one's really said anything negative about the Insignia? :confused: A few have said that the blue one I specifically linked to was fairly suspicious (and the more I think of it the more I kinda agree).

The insignia in general hasn't taken any hits from anyone on here, though, has it? No ones claimed they're a bad car or not worth buying. You've given out a fair bit to me and advised I 'buy a good car', but, unless I'm mixing your posts up with someone else (and I genuinely could be, so don't take that the wrong way), I haven't seen you give m/any suggestions?

You give a lot of 'don't buy that' advice, but nothing much more elaborate? If you had my list of wants, and a total budget of 9-10k.. what would you buy..?

EDIT: I have went back to the 10/08/15 on this thread, and checked the buying thread I made, and the only post from you in relation to me is the 'buy a good car' advice.. :confused:

Hal1 wrote: »
    The amount of gold punto's I've seen in the past few days. It must have been a popular colour.

I've seen a couple of myself, but I wouldn't say many. Blue seems to be the most common colour on them, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

GvidoR wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of myself, but I wouldn't say many. Blue seems to be the most common colour on them, imo.

Ah now, they're so common I'd say you see one every time you look out the window! :pac:

My old one was blue :)

Why not combine the 2 and have a gold car with a tesseo blue bonnet... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

No one's really said anything negative about the Insignia? :confused: A few have said that the blue one I specifically linked to was fairly suspicious (and the more I think of it the more I kinda agree).

The insignia in general hasn't taken any hits from anyone on here, though, has it? No ones claimed they're a bad car or not worth buying. You've given out a fair bit to me and advised I 'buy a good car', but, unless I'm mixing your posts up with someone else (and I genuinely could be, so don't take that the wrong way), I haven't seen you give m/any suggestions?

You give a lot of 'don't buy that' advice, but nothing much more elaborate? If you had my list of wants, and a total budget of 9-10k.. what would you buy..?

Can I just tell you right now that they are a bad car. My dad had one from new to 3 and a bit years old and about 180,000KM if I remember correctly. The car was driven fairly hard but really was well looked after, full on time Opel history etc.
    The single worst thing was the gearbox, it was like something from a tractor in the 70s when it was cold. Particularly in the cold winter we had you could forget being able to select any gear basically until the oil was warm. The ratios weren't great either. Gearbox could be crunchy at the best of times.
    For about the last 8 months we had it it had a performance issue where it would just cut boost/fuel under load. very annoying. Opel could never get to the bottom of it.
    All the interior trip plastics faded different amounts which meant the tops of the doors and dash didn't match any more and the hard and soft plastics on the dash faded different amounts too.
    DMF failed on christmas eve.
    I'm sure there was more wrong with it too but that was enough to put me off ever spending my own money on one. The Passat we had before it and the Optima after it are far superior.

Spent my evening trying to get caked on brake dust off an old set of alloys. Whoever had them before me would want to be shot, they never seen a proper cleaning. The front ones are chronic bad. Although petrol and a cloth seems to remove it eventually.

EDIT: I have went back to the 10/08/15 on this thread, and checked the buying thread I made, and the only post from you in relation to me is the 'buy a good car' advice.. :confused:

Did you hear about the Insignia Thermal Incident? Insignias catching Fire randomly due to a pwoer steering fluid leak? Or about the gearboxes made from chocolate? List of issues seem to be endless.... The ones you're looking at also seem to be at the rougher end of the scale. I think the newer ones were much improved.

I haven't suggested any cars to buy because it seems your heart is set on an Insignia! Why would I waste my time elaborating when it doesn't seem to be taken any notice of? The 407 was classic, I remember at the time, all your posts asking about it, and people all suggesting you avoid. You did the opposite and bought a complete lemon.. Remind me again why I would be recommending cars for you to buy...?

Seeing as you asked though, I'll give it one last shot....

A well specced Golf estate could do the trick. Newer CR Diesel engines are much improved on the older units. An Octavia estate could also be a runner?

Ford Focus estate of that era with the 1.8/2.0 diesels engine? Volvo make decent cars too, this is what I'd have personally.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9922198
    Volvo V70 D5 AWD SE Geartronic//mint Co

Yes the tax is higher, but it has everything else going for it. Loads of toys, superb diesel engine, loads of space, peace of mind from a dealer. Screw the tax and buy something like that would be what I'd do.

Or about the gearboxes made from chocolate?

Sounds delicious. :pac:

Sounds delicious. :pac:

Your Punto had a chocolate diff... ;)

Did you hear about the Insignia Thermal Incident? Insignias catching Fire randomly due to a pwoer steering fluid leak? Or about the gearboxes made from chocolate? List of issues seem to be endless.... The ones you're looking at also seem to be at the rougher end of the scale. I think the newer ones were much improved.

I haven't suggested any cars to buy because it seems your heart is set on an Insignia! Why would I waste my time elaborating when it doesn't seem to be taken any notice of? The 407 was classic, I remember at the time, all your posts asking about it, and people all suggesting you avoid. You did the opposite and bought a complete lemon.. Remind me again why I would be recommending cars for you to buy...?

Surely if you're not interested in engaging me, then throwing me on the 'ignore' list would be the sensible option (or just skipping by my posts)?

I'm by no means set on an Insignia. I do like them, but I'm trying to get something that meets all my criteria and doesn't leave me completely cashless.

A well specced Golf estate could do the trick. Newer CR Diesel engines are much improved on the older units. An Octavia estate could also be a runner?

Ford Focus estate of that era with the 1.8/2.0 diesels engine? Volvo make decent cars too, this is what I'd have personally.

Yes the tax is higher, but it has everything else going for it. Loads of toys, superb diesel engine, loads of space, peace of mind from a dealer. Screw the tax and buy something like that would be what I'd do.

The tax is what would kill that for me. I don't know what it actually is, but I presume €1,080? Along with it being an auto, aswell.

I'll go looking for Golfs and Octavias, but I haven't really seen either on my journeys yet (actually, that's not true.. I think I may have seen a red Golf estate on Donedeal, but could be wrong).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Do these still have the good suspension or are they boring now?

Not a megane in a differnt guise. I'd much sooner have one of those than an Insignia if it was my own money. That's got the better 2.0 engine too. That looks a good 'un.

Edit: Hey DZ, how are things.

These have the standard suspension, only the highest (exclusive?) spec has the Hydractive suspension. Think it's standard on the 2.7's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Wouldn't go near that volvo.

Mileage too low for a diesel UK car... maybe some fell off while on the boat.

from the famous area of naas road / ballymount where car dealers come and go (this guy i never heard of before !)

also like the fact nearly none of his cars have reg plates.

thats also too much money for that car.

but that's none of my business..

Not a megane in a differnt guise. I'd much sooner have one of those than an Insignia if it was my own money. That's got the better 2.0 engine too. That looks a good 'un.

Edit: Hey DZ, how are things.

These have the standard suspension, only the highest (exclusive?) spec has the Hydractive suspension. Think it's standard on the 2.7's.

Might give them a ring tomorrow for a quick look at it.

How are Citroen for their electrical issues these days, does anyone know?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bear1 wrote: »
    Did a calculation of the average consumption on the Honda for the trip back and I think it's quite good.
    Averaged 6.58l per 100km which in old terms is something like 43mpg.
    The car was loaded to the balls, 2 adults and a lot of traffic, mountain climbing and frequent bursts of acceleration.
    Curious now what it would do with one adult and shag all luggage considering these engines are renowned for not being as economical as they would like you to think.
    In other news... the EML is on so I'm heading back to reality.

Oh dear :(

Had one years ago, an 02 model with the hydraulic suspension, it was a real wafty car, like the OHs Eclass, very comfy, until the hydraulic suspension went, but it was a lovely car for long distance, pretty comfy too
    Might give them a ring tomorrow for a quick look at it.

How are Citroen for their electrical issues these days, does anyone know?

Oh also had one, an 03, neither of us had electrical issues in the two we had.

I'd class them well above a megane tbh.

Have you looked at the likes of accords/Honda/japanese? Or are they outside your budget for the year you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bolomaster

Pov06 wrote: »
    45245110.jpeg

Are those tail lights in the boot for when the boot lid is open???
    Why is there a sledge in the boot... in summer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

€32.80 to swap my insurance over to the 1.8 TDCi Focus from a 1.0 Yaris. Surprised I didn't have to bend over for insurance this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

Pov06 wrote: »
    €32.80 to swap my insurance over to the 1.8 TDCi Focus from a 1.0 Yaris. Surprised I didn't have to bend over for insurance this time!
    Wait til renewal time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

timaru89 wrote: »
    Wait til renewal time :rolleyes:

Actually I got lower quotes than the Yaris online. Probably because it's a 1999 :pac:

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you looked at the likes of accords/Honda/japanese? Or are they outside your budget for the year you want?

Pretty much answered the question there, yourself, alright. Haven't really seen any Honda badges on my searches.

My only issue with french cars is stemming from my own ownership of the 407, which gave a lot of hassle (and my brother owning a megane that gave more than it's fair share of window trouble, etc.)

This is the C5 I'm gonna try and get a look at later on:

http://www.kingmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1314580&r=

Anyone got anything good or bad to say about King Motors? They're not a main dealer, so treat as a private sale, I presume is the advice to take on (ie; any warranty won't actually exist in reality)?

EDIT: Never mind, just off the phone. Sold yesterday.

Anyone got anything good or bad to say about King Motors? They're not a main dealer, so treat as a private sale, I presume is the advice to take on (ie; any warranty won't actually exist in reality)?

No, don't need to treat as a private sale. Regardless if they are a main dealer or not, you should be getting a warranty, which should always be honoured. You should get all the frills etc of buying off a main dealer, valet, service, mats, some diesel in the tank. You pay extra for this peace of mind, you might as well get something to show for it.

• Advertisement

The humble carpark, a home to the bemused and bewildered. A mecca to the altercated motorist.

A young pensioner in a suitably snazzy silver 407, finished in factory scrapes and dents, needed to leave this safe heaven for consumers. What better way to exit this reclusive park than attempt to hack and bludgeon his wheels off the kerb.

Backward, foreward BUMP. Backward, foreward BUMP. Rinse and repeat for a desired amount of times until the car is shaking like that piebald horse on the M1 during a sulky race. And probably about to schutter a bag of bolts too, just like that horse.

This challenging weather is bringing out new challenges for our human race

The humble carpark, a home to the bemused and bewildered. A mecca to the altercated motorist.

A young pensioner in a suitably snazzy silver 407, finished in factory scrapes and dents, needed to leave this safe heaven for consumers. What better way to exit this reclusive park than attempt to hack and bludgeon his wheels off the kerb.

Backward, foreward BUMP. Backward, foreward BUMP. Rinse and repeat for a desired amount of times until the car is shaking like that piebald horse on the M1 during a sulky race. And probably about to schutter a bag of bolts too, just like that horse.

I see you encountered the mythical beast, the "Safe Driver".
    Has to be 50+, has to be a sh*teheap of a paddyspec car (no older than 5 years, FFS, what will the neighbours think), neglected, covered in dents, with the driver trundling along at a constant 20 km/h below the speedlimit wherever they go. Car will be sold as "mint", "one careful owner" and "car always pampered, never wanted for anything". Apart from slow speed recognisable by random lane changes, non-use of indicators unless having it flashing away for at least 50 km on the motorway counts, pulling out without looking, strange and random brake patterns (tipping the brakes every 10-20 seconds for no reason whatsoever makes for particularly safe drivers) and combine all the above with complete disregard for any street signs, lights, road markings or double yellow lines and you have the type of driver whom Gaybo, the RSA and insurance companies cream their pants over and will fall over themselves to give praise and cheap deals to.

If you in any way care about cars or driving them, you must be one of dem boy racers what always cause dem accidents, you bastard, we'll screw you good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

e8dEZCc.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yup, all yobbos here. All is well under Heaven, chief! :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yup, all yobbos here. All is well under Heaven, chief! :D

Donnerwetter, das Raserschwein und Arschlochern sind always die Boyracer!
    (sorry, my "German" isn't as good as yours :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Donnerwetter, das Raserschwein und Arschlochern sind always die Boyracer!
    (sorry, my "German" isn't as good as yours :p)

For some reason, Herr Professor-Doktor, I always picture you as pretty much exactly like this guy:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Got my renewal for the gtv, 563 Euro with chill. That's underwritten by liberty. Gave liberty a call and they came back with 1100.
    So I'm happy, it's down close to 250 but still confused how I'm so much less of a risk through chill, than going direct to liberty.

Got my renewal for the gtv, 563 Euro with chill. That's underwritten by liberty. Gave liberty a call and they came back with 1100.
    So I'm happy, it's down close to 250 but still confused how I'm so much less of a risk through chill, than going direct to liberty.

€563, not too bad... for Ireland

I had a similar situation with Axa. They quoted me €800 more than a broker. Weird.

Proving once again that insurance quotes in Ireland all emanate from the same place, someone's rectum.

jimgoose wrote: »
    For some reason, Herr Professor-Doktor, I always picture you as pretty much exactly like this guy:

:D

Would love it, but could prove a tad expensive on the daily 120km commute.
    But would be perfect to shoo slowpokes and other peasants to the side.
    Wonder if NoNonsense would quote me for that...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement