Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

1188189190191192194»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Me and a colleague, 2 bags each, there is a work function on in the hotel, kicks off @ 9.30am then an overnight there and we are then both off to different locations the following day...

Going to stick with the N4 exit plan, despite your best suggestions (genuinely, thanks though) at least now I won't be shocked when it's bumper to bumper :P

I'd echo the above advice of M50 to N4 (before the toll :D) and into Kilmainham.

Regardless of which way you go at that time of the day traffic will be dire. I'd actually leave another 30 minutes in case unless you already calculated for that.

@Chris, those wheels on your Chaser are the real deal. Very much suit the car and I actually think taking the chrome away looked better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Between all my coming and going I've put 620 miles on the focus since Monday last. That's putting in a full weeks work too. Didn't grumble a bit, apart from sway!

How do you decide if your going to drive either the focus or mondeo ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

How do you decide if your going to drive either the focus or mondeo ?

Whichever is left. I'd stick to the one for the week though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Worked it out there, brimmed it last sunday, and brimmed it tonight, put 20 in yesterday and 28.71 tonight again to brim it again. I know this isn't accurate, but it's close enough for me, so thats 48 euro worth, which at 1.09 on average, equates to 52 litres. 620 miles covered, so that works out at 54.2 miles per gallon. That's mainly cruising at 100 for the most part, but on a good few windey bouncy roads with spirited driving.

That is very good going. My Cmax only barely makes 49 (well, 300k km ago it could make 52, turbo needs doing) and that is with careful enough driving, well 120 (ish:D) on the way to work and about 110 on the way back.
    But I hate the Mrs borrowing the car. She treats it like her MX5. Hop in at 5 degrees and immediately start it, no pre-glow at all. Then rev the ballix of it and drive away with plenty of wheelspin. From cold. I wince every time. :mad:
    When she's on the move, it never drops below 3.5-4k revs. With me it rarely goes above 3. When she comes back I can expect the MPG to have dropped by a good 3-4. She is constantly one gear lower than I would be and sometimes forgets to put it in 5th at all. She is of a generation that knows a car has 4 gears and then there's this new-fangled thing called a 5th gear. To her engaging 5th is like engaging the afterburner in Concorde, it takes a good run, a lot of speed, 10 seconds mental preparation including a 5 second countdown, then fix the gearlever with a good, hard stare and HURRAY! It's in 5th! She looks at 5th gear the same way my mother would look at a Smartphone. it's like it's an achievement every time she does it.
    That is why yesterday, when she said "We're going to the beach*, I can drive", I said "NO!!!". It's worse when I'm with her. I just hear the engine scream, I look at the rev-counter and the gearstick and sometimes I even have to say "uhm, do you, er, think you could, maybe, uhm change up a gear?" whilst trying not to vomit blood from my ulcer I developed due to her driving. Yes, a CMax can be driven quite spirited, but it's painful when someone drives it who doesn't have the FIRST notion how to drive a diesel. :mad:
    Of course when I drive it's "Oh my God, watch out for the other car!" (yes, I saw it coming a mile off), "JESUS, WILL YOU SLOW DOWN!!!" (doing 80 km/h), "Turn right here" (yes, I know. This is the right turn to your mother's house and has been for the last 20 years), "BRAKE!! BRAKE!!!" whilst bracing herself from the windscreen pillar and pressing an imaginary brake on the floor. look, I managed to survive for many, many hundreds of thousands of kilometers, I'm sure I can manage not to kill us somehow.

* This is how I am informed about my weekend plans. She might as well hire a town crier who will ring a bell, unfurl a scroll and proclaim "It has been decreed that your weekend plan shall be thusly, make haste in your preparations and keep thy smart comments to thyself!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Hop in at 5 degrees and immediately start it, no pre-glow at all. Then rev the ballix of it and drive away with plenty of wheelspin. From cold. I wince every time...

<Long-suffering groan of empathy loaded, armed and deployed>

They're savages, women are. Wild beasts. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Reinforces why I never got the line "lady owner" on an ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Whats this pre glow devilry you speak of. I'm new to diesel engines.

He means pre-heating, i.e. an electric glow-plug in the combustion chambers of diesels that provides a bit of heat so they can fire reasonably quickly from stone-cold. The bulk of the engine absorbs a lot of compression heat when cold, so this is needed on most of them. In modern-ish yokes the pre-heat time is around 6 to 8 seconds.

jimgoose wrote: »
    He means pre-heating, i.e. an electric glow-plug in the combustion chambers of diesels that provides a bit of heat so they can fire reasonably quickly from stone-cold. The bulk of the engine absorbs a lot of compression heat when cold, so this is needed on most of them. In modern-ish yokes the pre-heat time is around 6 to 8 seconds.

Sounds about right. When I sit in I turn the key to the ignition point and hold it there till the engine fires. Should I only turn it half way or something and then engage the ignition?

• Advertisement

Sounds about right. When I sit in I turn the key to the ignition point and hold it there till the engine fires. Should I only turn it half way or something and then engage the ignition?

I've no idea chief - what are we dealing with? 520d? Nissan Bluebird? Caterpillar D10?? :pac:

In the brother's F10 520d, the system takes care of the pre-heating when you hit the start button. It'll wait a few seconds when very cold before actually spinning it over.

Sorry mk6 golf tdi. No lights for pre heating come on when I'm waiting for fire up.

Sorry mk6 golf tdi. No lights for pre heating come on when I'm waiting for fire up.

Mmm. Yeah, I'd reckon it's pre-heating alright, to some extent. They use pretty powerful heaters these days, you don't usually notice it at all on the F10 (2010 model) unless it's pretty chilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    On the flipside I had all my car cleaning products and other car stuff thrown out by mistake :( Thankfully I managed to get my tools back though.
    Huh? How did that happen?

Cheers lads. Learning slowly but surely. Really want a knackered old engine to go poking around at. Unfortunately have no where to put it.

OSI wrote: »
    Will be a light like this on the dash:

diesel-engine-management-lamp-light.jpg

Turn key to "ON" position, wait for that light to go out, then turn the key to the ignition position to start it as normal.

Just looking at the dash in the van here and it doesn't have that light. Never noticed it before. My old van had it alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Just looking at the dash in the van here and it doesn't have that light. Never noticed it before. My old van had it alright.
    For many people, this is enough to make a diesel engine indistinguishable from petrol :pac:

It used to be known as "Rudolf Diesel Gedenkminute" (Minute's silence in memorial of Rudolf Diesel) in Germany. Older diesels would refuse to start, or only start after noodling it for absolute ever and then in a cloud of smoke reminiscent of Hiroshima. It's a very clever mechanism that lets you know your glowplugs are ballacksed.

(I can hear Special Circumstances groaning) :D

It used to be known as "Rudolf Diesel Gedenkminute" (Minute's silence in memorial of Rudolf Diesel) in Germany.

:pac::pac::pac:

What's going on around here? Not one of the threads I'm following has been posted in since near 5?

Ye all gone shy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

What's going on around here? Not one of the threads I'm following has been posted in since near 5?

Ye all gone shy?

Boards was DDOS'd today.....again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Is it just me or new car headlights appear to have a purple hue to them when they're coming at you at night?

GvidoR wrote:
    Is it just me or new car headlights appear to have a purple hue to them when they're coming at you at night?

Depends on which make. Toyota and skoda are bad for it.

Looks like most still can't get access around here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

No. One DDOS after another. facepalm.gif

Is it safe?
    Maybe it was the petrol boys, I think I pissed them off once too often...:eek:

Is it safe?
    Maybe it was the petrol boys, I think I pissed them off once too often...:eek:

<BANG!!> Hurrah! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The outside world was nice and all, but...

Unregistered Users

Could be worse. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

I think so, Each time i check now im getting a DDoS check on my browser.

Unregistered Users

morritty wrote: »
    I think so, Each time i check now im getting a DDoS check on my browser.
    Got the same from time to time.

BTW your MPG looks pretty bad to be honest with ya. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

It is to be fair, No i just havent had a full tank in a while. That needs to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

24278639.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Been in exams everyday this week and last week on Friday. Doesn't look like I've missed much :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, when taking brand new car with pop, how much usual charges you need to pay on top of deposit/trade in?
    I am talking about all those delivery fees and stuff.
    Am I right to say that some dealerships keep in stock new cars registered already and no need for delivery. Will they still charge you all those delivery charges and stuff?

Unregistered Users

Wow, the whole place looks abandoned! ;)

Usually, after couple of hours in the real world I have at least 4 pages of this chat to read. Today, I had 2 unread posts only! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

joujoujou wrote: »
    Wow, the whole place looks abandoned! ;)

Usually, after couple of hours in the real world I have at least 4 pages of this chat to read. Today, I had 2 unread posts only! :D

All due to ddos attacks. It was out for few days. I think a lot of people didn't see boards.ie back online again. It will take them for people to roll in again.

Unregistered Users

I'm aware of the reason alright. :)

Just my thoughts about the whole thing. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Guys, when taking brand new car with pop, how much usual charges you need to pay on top of deposit/trade in?
    I am talking about all those delivery fees and stuff.
    Am I right to say that some dealerships keep in stock new cars registered already and no need for delivery. Will they still charge you all those delivery charges and stuff?

They'll advertise the RRP, the selling price will be an on the road price. Usually anywhere from 500-1000 extra. If you've already gotten a price from them on a new car it should include delivery.

If the car is already registered it should be discounted from the on the road price to reflect you being the second owner and not the first.

Was in getting a quote for some body work after some clown reversed into the missus mini. He's paying through company insurance so we went to get a quote in frank Keane on the naas Road. The cheeky feckers wanted a 50 quid deposit just for a quote, and if you don't go with them you lose the 50. Told him we'd get it done indie instead.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement