Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Would love it, but could prove a tad expensive on the daily 120km commute.
    But would be perfect to shoo slowpokes and other peasants to the side.

The Red Baron of the N18. None who cross him live to tell the tale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

There's someone raffling this at €200 x 45

11902251_887703327949865_1263098185488338114_n.jpg?oh=c57f49034bb6cee6f907bdc6d9bff5ea&oe=56404F22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

^^^

Can any resident detectives shed some light on the legality of raffling cars? It reeks of illegality... Could there be some correlation between raffling and money laundering?

Speaking as a nosey crow with an inquisitive mind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

^^^

Can any resident detectives shed some light on the legality of raffling cars? It reeks of illegality... Could there be some correlation between raffling and money laundering?

http://www.ictr.ie/files/Raffles%20and%20Lotteries%20Good%20Practice_web.pdf
    You may not be able to class your raffle under the heading ‘Private Lotteries’ for example, if you are
    mailing out tickets to individuals in the post, if you are advertising the raffle to customers, or if the value
    of the prizes will be more than €4,000.
    In this case, you will need to apply for a licence to the District Court for the area in which the lottery
    will be held. This can be done on any given Wednesday. An individual from the organisation would
    need to act as the license holder on the license application, and comply with the regulations of
    the Gaming and Lotteries Act, 1956. The total value of the prizes must not exceed €20,000 to be
    awarded in any one week but an amount greater than this could be awarded at intervals.
    Prior to filing with the District Court, you must notify the Gardai 28 days in advance of the license
    application. This notice period is absolutely necessary.
    The Association of Charity Lotteries in Ireland (ACLI), a forum for Irish charitable organisations who
    depend on the running of lotteries as a means of fundraising, have developed a Code of Practice to
    promote standards of good practice for the operation of charity lotteries in Ireland. All members of ACLI
    have signed up to this Code of Practice and promote their lotteries in accordance with the Code.

Under the Irish Gaming and Lotteries Act, any lottery or raffle which does not have a charitable purpose cannot be licensed by the local Superintendent or District Court and so is not legal in Ireland.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/ireland-law/51sms-law-relation-running-raffle.html#ixzz3jHZNVEdX

Illegal on a few counts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

^^^

I am not sure, there is no government tax take from a private sale of cars so there is no tax evasion going on anyway. Hard to say if a raffle is legal or not when it come to a 2nd hand car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Without sounding like a silly seagull, could such a raffle be interpreted as a false lottery of sorts....?

Edit: ah, my question answered :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Saw someone in yaris with L plate just literally stalling for 5 minutes (not even exaggerating), they kept stalling again and again because they had handbrake on.

I don't mean that this is your average L driver who is just slow, this is literally someone who drove out of their drive way first time during a ****ing traffic/peak hours at 5 PM.

After 5 minutes, they managed to somehow drive off, drove around 5-6 km/h (people were running faster on pavement) then got stuck on next roundabout.

Had to break rules of road and take wrong roundabout lane, not even regretting it, would totally do again.
    ****ing asshats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

They have to learn somewhere, granted, but they weren't doing themselves any favour being out in rush hour traffic! I'd say there was a nice few chimes from horns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

They have to learn somewhere, granted, but they weren't doing themselves any favour being out in rush hour traffic! I'd say there was a nice few chimes from horns?

Yeah, quite a good bit.
    It actually happened at Citywest Ave https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2880311,-6.4210143,16.75z?hl=en

Then on that roundabout they moved down, up to next roundabout that's always busy so it didn't make things easier.
    But yeah, it was like horn testing facility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

arleitiss wrote: »
    Yeah, quite a good bit.
    It actually happened at Citywest Ave https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2880311,-6.4210143,16.75z?hl=en

Then on that roundabout they moved down, up to next roundabout that's always busy so it didn't make things easier.
    But yeah, it was like horn testing facility.

Haha!

My Yaris was understeering with tyre squeal around that roundabout at 16:30!

Thank fcuk for flexi-hours :pac:

Meanwhile in Latvia...

CMyUMWIXAAE8jBG.jpg

CMx-FZ-WEAA7-8n.jpg

Must have tried to do a reverse donut

Why do they call them "golf"?

FORE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Got a letter from the RSA saying my points have been wiped and my license is clean.
    I thought they kept those points indefinitely and added them when you convert to an Irish one? (still have my Führerschein)

Got a letter from the RSA saying my points have been wiped and my license is clean.
    I thought they kept those points indefinitely and added them when you convert to an Irish one? (still have my Führerschein)

Sure you got the letter anyway, that's all that matters. Enjoy cheaper insurance :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The Red Baron of the N18. None who cross him live to tell the tale.

Right now I'm the Blue Blur. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Stheno wrote: »

Oh also had one, an 03, neither of us had electrical issues in the two we had.

I'd class them well above a megane tbh.

Oh sh!t

Im not talking to you anymore :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Bit slidey out this morning going to work. Nice to feel the Rx find its grip on it's own. Just keep it neutral on the throttle and it'll sort itself out.

Otherwise it's been running like a storm lately. Found its feet in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

It's that time of year again folks, the time I've been dreading for the last 12 months!!! Insurance renewal. Best quote so far is from AIG for 1,400. Anyone know who are good companies to try at the moment? I'll be on the phone all day tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Insurance renewal.

You'll need this This

• Advertisement

Dartz wrote: »
    You'll need this This

More like this :D

ky_jelly____now_in_bulk_by_sleepytim.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

What i needed when i tried to shop around

23502-1_n.jpg?135957

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

OK so low coolant level came on just as I got home this evening.

Engine is still warm was hoping it would cool down this evening now I don't think it will.

I've to drive to work at 6:30a.m for about 25 minute drive. Now I have some generic maxol coolant in the house do I throw that in in the morning before I drive to work? Or drive to work and try get coolant next door to my job were there is a motor factors and ring my mechanic or is that to risky.

http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/putnams-ring-cushion.html

Free* with every insurance policy.

*Not actually free. You know you pay for it and we just call it free. We still expect you to be grateful.

Engine is still warm was hoping it would cool down this evening now I don't think it will.

I've to drive to work at 6:30a.m for about 25 minute drive. Now I have some generic maxol coolant in the house do I throw that in in the morning before I drive to work? Or drive to work and try get coolant next door to my job were there is a motor factors and ring my mechanic or is that to risky.

I'd stick in water rather than risking mixing types. But get the cause of the loss figured out ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

It's that time of year again folks, the time I've been dreading for the last 12 months!!! Insurance renewal. Best quote so far is from AIG for 1,400. Anyone know who are good companies to try at the moment? I'll be on the phone all day tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Have you tried chill? They've done Me a major favour this year....one step closer to one shade of red instead of 50 :pac:

I'd stick in water rather than risking mixing types. But get the cause of the loss figured out ASAP.

Yea that's the plan if i wasn't in work I'd be going to the mechanic first thing in the morning but unfortunately I'm working 7 to 7 tomorrow and Friday typical it would happen this morning after I've just had a week off work.

I'll try top it up with a bit of water in the morning so and ring my mechanic soon as he opens see if I can sort something out.

Bit slidey out this morning going to work. Nice to feel the Rx find its grip on it's own. Just keep it neutral on the throttle and it'll sort itself out.

Otherwise it's been running like a storm lately. Found its feet in a big way.

Dartz you should come to the meet on Sunday, be good to have a look around the RX.

Dartz you should come to the meet on Sunday, be good to have a look around the RX.

He wouldn't make it there alive shurre :p Would end up backwards in a hedge in a right old wankel

It's manky at the moment.

And out of petrol for the month. Using it for work gets pricy.

• Advertisement

It's manky at the moment.

And out of petrol for the month. Using it for work gets pricy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9dkh8IcKVlEqbtXIhBgYD-1yLBS775kE4tHgK1Zm8WZKhMNiwbQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd say it would be fine just keep an eye on the level before and after journeys. Bring a bottle of water just in case though. When mine leaked it was from the expansion tank even though it looked fine but there was coolant dripping on the inside of the wheel area.

Have you tried chill? They've done Me a major favour this year....one step closer to one shade of red instead of 50 :pac:

No good for me at all. More expensive than my renewal from liberty:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Give sheridan insurance or first ireland a shout. Sorted me this time around while others wanted nearly double last years quote.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9dkh8IcKVlEqbtXIhBgYD-1yLBS775kE4tHgK1Zm8WZKhMNiwbQ

I have a third of a tank left. And much less money in the bank. I'm railing it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

No good for me at all. More expensive than my renewal from liberty:(

I love the way I'm the low risk driver :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

If someone asked for a relatively economical auto for around 10-15k, what would ye suggest?

Just came from hockey training. As I was pulling onto the small road, saw a very new-ish Toyota (I'm guessing Corolla; it's very dark) absolutely totaled roughly 200 metres from the house :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Wouldn't think so, no. Once you hold an EU license points is points, with the usual expiry. I believe they're put on hold for you if you don’t have a license, or if it's suspended.

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »
    Just came from hockey training. As I was pulling onto the small road, saw a very new-ish Toyota (I'm guessing Corolla; it's very dark) absolutely totaled roughly 200 metres from the house :eek:

That's unpossible , only cars over 15 years old crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Toasted Pickles closed his account?

You're right. What's going on here lately? :eek:

E0CZ0bX.png

really, thats mad considering how involved he was on the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

GvidoR wrote: »
    You're right. What's going on here lately?...

Lot of fighting and snarling over nonsense, for some reason.

Ah ffs! Although he was quiet for a while. Hopefully he'll be back. I want to know how the SAAB's turn out :)

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    I'd say it would be fine just keep an eye on the level before and after journeys. Bring a bottle of water just in case though. When mine leaked it was from the expansion tank even though it looked fine but there was coolant dripping on the inside of the wheel area.

Cheers I'll check the level before I head off for work in the morning. I'll also take a quick look around see if I can spot any leaks.

Can anyone tell me why one of these (identical?) cars has higher tax than the other?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c5-sat-nav/9241396?offset=2

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c5-vtr-nav-hdi/10014941?offset=3

Sat in one today (met with the first one I linked to above) and I have to admit, they're a seriously lovely car. Definitely left a lasting impression that far surpassed the Insignia.. or practically any car I'd been in. Seriously, seriously lovely car.

Only problem is my overall budget is 10k.. not sure I'd get either.. What way does finance word with a "dealer" (quotation marks intended)? And has anyone ever dealt with that dealer (Drimnagh Motors)? Haven't talked to them yet, but assuming that's still available I'd be keen for a test drive and see how much they'd sway on price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ah bolloox to pickles closing his account. Who am I going to get free LED's off now :( :pac:

So many of the older posters are fecking off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Some yobbos driving around Dublin... Saw a pack of scummers in a car nearly write off themselves and about 2 other cars at capel st. They were coming alongside the luas lines where they cross. Last second braking for the red light, massive amount of smoke off the tyres, just about stopped before going into the side of another car. Then off through the red light and away. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Can anyone tell me why one of these (identical?) cars has higher tax than the other?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c5-sat-nav/9241396?offset=2

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c5-vtr-nav-hdi/10014941?offset=3

Sat in one today (met with the first one I linked to above) and I have to admit, they're a seriously lovely car. Definitely left a lasting impression that far surpassed the Insignia.. or practically any car I'd been in. Seriously, seriously lovely car.

Only problem is my overall budget is 10k.. not sure I'd get either.. What way does finance word with a "dealer" (quotation marks intended)? And has anyone ever dealt with that dealer (Drimnagh Motors)? Haven't talked to them yet, but assuming that's still available I'd be keen for a test drive and see how much they'd sway on price.

I think you were onto a winner with that 2.0 one. Those 1.6's are the same engine as the fords etc. They require really specific maintenance. I'd avoid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement