Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Topped up the coolant with water drove to work this morning no problem at all. But looking under the car there does seem to be a leak on the opposite side of the coolant tank just behind the driver side wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Behind the wheel? Strange, probably a hose then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

What would happen if I was pulled over for driving without a tax disc even though the car is taxed? Could they tow the car or fine me?

I plan on carrying a Motorcheck report which says that the car is taxed but I'm unsure. I heard you can get a fine if you park in a paid parking spot in town and there is no tax disc displayed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

You get the fine for "non display of tax"
    You still gotta pay which is a touch silly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

GvidoR wrote: »
    Behind the wheel? Strange, probably a hose then.

That's what I was thinking myself, a quick Google search seems to suggest the same.

Rang the bmw mechanic said just keep an eye on it if it drops again he'll have a look Saturday morning.

Said the leak could be air conditioning but I don't think it is myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Pov06 wrote: »
    I heard you can get a fine if you park in a paid parking spot in town and there is no tax disc displayed...
    Any garda I've ever meet when I was a little bit out (through memory lapse or just buying a new car) was sound. Traffic wardens though.... grrrrr

Any garda I've ever meet when I was a little bit out (through memory lapse or just buying a new car) was sound. Traffic wardens though.... grrrrr

Ah it's such a PITA changing car. I can't even pay for tax until I get the log book :o

166man wrote: »
    I think you were onto a winner with that 2.0 one. Those 1.6's are the same engine as the fords etc. They require really specific maintenance. I'd avoid.

But they're both marked as 1.6?

EDIT: Sorry, you mean the one I posted before? That one is gone, unfortunately. Given the choice I'd rather a 2ltr for a bit more 'oomph' (I presume its a bit more powerful) but i'd settle for a 1.6 as anything I buy for €10k will be the most i've ever spent on a car and will be minded meticulously.

Meanwhile in Cork

11880403_1658174367759877_3660114730828690645_n.jpg?oh=ad1ed0fabe302f9f527609a8a2d524b9&oe=5635FC58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Meanwhile in Cork...

That is so shít it's cool. :pac:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »

It's awesome, full stop. :)

It made it all the way here from Kazakhstan too.

It's awesome, full stop. :)

It made it all the way here from Kazakhstan too.

Stop, stop! I can't take the Coolitude! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Ah it's such a PITA changing car. I can't even pay for tax until I get the log book :o

Aren't you buying from a garage sure they will tax it for you if you ask them assuming you haven't actually collected the car yet. That's what I did with mine they taxed it the morning I collected it gave me the disk so handy no going online or to the tax office or waiting for the logbook.
    But they're both marked as 1.6?

EDIT: Sorry, you mean the one I posted before? That one is gone, unfortunately. Given the choice I'd rather a 2ltr for a bit more 'oomph' (I presume its a bit more powerful) but i'd settle for a 1.6 as anything I buy for €10k will be the most i've ever spent on a car and will be minded meticulously.

Honestly if I had 10k to spend the last thing I'd be buying is anything with a 1.6 psa Diesel engine and it's nothing to do with power. I got to know mechanic very well while owning one even my grandad has one and it's not even 3 years old engine is causing issues. You get the odd one that does cause much trouble but fcuk gambling 10k on getting a reliable one. Just my opinion on them though. That's the 1.6 psa engine in general rather than the c5 as such.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Aren't you buying from a garage sure they will tax it for you if you ask them assuming you haven't actually collected the car yet. That's what I did with mine they taxed it the morning I collected it gave me the disk so handy no going online or to the tax office or waiting for the logbook.

The car is already taxed but the tax disc is missing :pac: I was thinking of just paying for another year of tax instead of asking for a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The car is already taxed but the tax disc is missing :pac: I was thinking of just paying for another year of tax instead of asking for a replacement.

Apply for a replacement disc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jimgoose wrote: »

Lada Nivas are just cool. My GF is thinking about a 4x4, I'm peddling it hard, but to no avail. She doesn't buy into the whole funky junk scene. She is also horrified at my dream of converting a VW T3 to a 1.9 TDI to make it a useful every day car. I would insure it as a classic.

Any chance it's a sinka or doka? Those things are awesome. :)

Any chance it's a sinka or doka? Those things are awesome. :)

I would just get the normal Transporter. But I agree the Doka is utterly, utterly sh*tcool. I would fill my pants if I could have this one:

242xu1i.jpg

Lada Nivas are just cool. My GF is thinking about a 4x4, I'm peddling it hard, but to no avail. She doesn't buy into the whole funky junk scene. She is also horrified at my dream of converting a VW T3 to a 1.9 TDI to make it a useful every day car. I would insure it as a classic.

"Funky junk" - love it! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Any chance it's a sinka or doka? Those things are awesome. smile.png
    I would just get the normal Transporter. But I agree the Doka is utterly, utterly sh*tcool. I would fill my pants if I could have this one:

I remember the aul lad had a sinka back in the 90s and it was the sh1t, I'm sure theres a picture of it somewhere in the house I must try to dig it out.

One last annoying C5 question from me, guys...

The dealer selling This One reckons it's still on UK plates, but the price includes VRT'ing it. It's the 110bhp version, and has 109miles (very possibly clocked, it being a dealer and all).

The private sale one, Here has 40,000 miles less (again presumably clocked at some point but maybe not as drastically?), but the lower tax makes me think it's the 90bhp version of the same size (1.6) engine.

Would there really be any difference between 90 and 110bhp? I liked the 407, but it was a 2ltr 136bhp, so I presume neither will get near that in terms of power, but if you were in my shoes, would you have any preference in a 90bhp with 70miles VS a 110bhp with 109miles.

Both seem to be the same price, really (private seller was offered €9,800 but said no, 10,200 was his lowest. Dealer is at 10,950, but I reckon I'd get him to 10,200 with relative ease).

Just not sure what would be the best kinda way to roll the dice here at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

There would be a difference between 90 and 110 hp. A 90 bhp big bodied car such as a c5 wouldn't pull you out of bed, can't imagine a 110 bhp being much of an addition now that I think of it.

Spending 10k on a car, you would be daft not to buy one with a full service history. A 4/5 year old car should have a fsh, and if there wasn't I'd be worried (makes you wonder how well it was maintained).

I wouldn't be buying a uk import without a fsh, quite risky. Having the history would put you at ease regarding clocking etc

If I was in your shoes I'd buy the 110 brake off the dealer, provided it has a trusted full service history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

@ KKV. Any chance of using this forum sub section?

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1625

Or failing that try Creative Writing.

There would be a difference between 90 and 110 hp. A 90 bhp big bodied car such as a c5 wouldn't pull you out of bed, can't imagine a 110 bhp being much of an addition now that I think of it.

Spending 10k on a car, you would be daft not to buy one with a full service history. A 4/5 year old car should have a fsh, and if there wasn't I'd be worried (makes you wonder how well it was maintained).

I wouldn't be buying a uk import without a fsh, quite risky. Having the history would put you at ease regarding clocking etc

Tdlr; If I was in your shoes I'd buy the 110 brake off the dealer, provided it has a trusted full service history

I actually text the private seller but didn't get an answer until there a second ago. He reckons his is 110bhp, too. Which brings me back to not understanding the difference in tax between the two. :confused:

Dealer said his has a FSH with it, and comes with a warranty (didn't elaborate). He said the reg plate was LB60 VZW (but obviously that'd change once VRT'ed).

I'm gonna go and take a look at the Dealer's one tomorrow. He said 'the boss' is driving it at the moment, but he'd arrange to have it back in with them tomorrow for me to take a look at it.

Has anyone dealt with this crowd?

Again, I'm going in presuming the warranty isn't worth a **** (anytime I ever hear of people buying cars from non-main dealers, that encounter an issue, they're always fobbed off. I know two people who've had air-con issues, and dealers wouldn't get involved).

My problem is that I doubt he'll let me get it to a garage to have it ramped up before buying. And I really don't want to hand over 10k in the hopes of getting it checked up on a ramp after the sale, and then have a list of issues that I bring back to the dealer, only to be laughed out the door.

Assuming they're a shower of Cowboys, and I went as far as getting the warranty in writing, would I have any recourse (in real life) via the small claims court or such if they fobbed me off? Or is it too easy for the dealers to just ignore that and let it be.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    @ KKV. Any chance of using this forum sub section?

I have a thread in there but they tend to quieten, and after a fairly lengthy search, I'm looking to buy tomorrow, so trying to get any last minute advice I can.

I probably am annoying a handful, but at the same time, the likes of 166, CIP4, and Noccy are being exceptionally useful at the moment and really helping me out a lot (I don't generally spend 10k on a single item, so it's good to know what I'm walking into). And of course there's the likes of Colm, etc who are generally helpful all the time. I'm not intentionally trying to be overbearing in the chat thread.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Or failing that try Creative Writing.

Probably the handiest thing?:

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=135718

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

If someone asked for a relatively economical auto for around 10-15k, what would ye suggest?

Anyone?

My problem is that I doubt he'll let me get it to a garage to have it ramped up before buying. And I really don't want to hand over 10k in the hopes of getting it checked up on a ramp after the sale, and then have a list of issues that I bring back to the dealer, only to be laughed out the door.

Bring your mechanic with you, if they're genuine then they shouldn't have an issue with you getting someone to look over it there and then.

With regards to warranty, it's all dependent on each independent dealer. Any one I've dealt with fixed any problems I had no bother. Some are great with after sales, then there's the few who just want to sell the car and cut all ties with you. Try and do searches and see if any negativity arises.

Anyone?

Petrol diesel? Size?

Any of ye get an odd PM from someone called perksof?

Bring your mechanic with you, if they're genuine then they shouldn't have an issue with you getting someone to look over it there and then.

With regards to warranty, it's all dependent on each independent dealer. Any one I've dealt with fixed any problems I had no bother. Some are great with after sales, then there's the few who just want to sell the car and cut all ties with you. Try and do searches and see if any negativity arises.

Bringing a mechanic with me is often a bit too pricy. It's invariably a full day they're gone from the workshop, and as a mechanic or two have said in the past; without a ramp you can't really do much investigating.

Ideally I'd like to contact a garage in the area with a ramp, and bring the car to them (on my own, so there's no wink-wink, nudge-nudge if the sales guy recognises/knows the mechanic).

I'll do a search and see if I can find much. I appreciate all the assistance. I'll quieten down for the night now as I may be annoying other users, and I'll report back tomorrow with hopefully a new car.

Thanks massively to all who gave up their time/knowledge to help me out. :)

• Advertisement

Ideally I'd like to contact a garage in the area with a ramp, and bring the car to them (on my own, so there's no wink-wink, nudge-nudge if the sales guy recognises/knows the mechanic).

This is what we did a few years back. We met the seller in the local Tesco car park and then drove it around the corner to a garage where they raised it and had a look.

It cost us 20e and it's a lot cheaper than bringing a mechanic with you.

This is what we did a few years back. We met the seller in the local Tesco car park and then drove it around the corner to a garage where they raised it and had a look.

It cost us 20e and it's a lot cheaper than bringing a mechanic with you.

Problem is any dealer I've talked to has frowned upon it and said 'no', effectively. I'm sure if I make it a condition of sale, with a pocket full of cash to show I'm serious, they'll see they've nothing to lose.

Any private sale I always check the car before hand with an indy mechanic. Saved me on a Grand Vitara there not too long ago.

Just you lad. Did it involve wellies and whipped cream?

Did it mention Queensbury Rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyone?

Prius

Just you lad. Did it involve wellies and whipped cream?

It was a link to a website to talk about bordises. Maybe that's why you didn't get it :P

Stupid spam. I ratted him out to Dav anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

You know you are getting older when...

You realize this song is over 20 years old :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

What's the consensus round here on FN2 Type Rs? Remembering back to how fun my old civic was has made me consider a change. I love the beeemer but ye know how it is, always looking to the next car. Even when it would be totally irresponsible financially! :D

Euro or Japan spec ? :P

Big difference

Nevermind just realized the Jap one is FD2 isn't it ?

Euro or Japan spec ? :P

Big difference

Nevermind just realized the Jap one is FD2 isn't it ?

Might be wrong but I think the FD2 is the coupe. I haven't done much reading into them to be honest. I had an EK4 vti so all my civic knowledge is from that era!

edit. think I am completely wrong about that after a quick google :P You're correct, FD2 is Jap. I'd be looking at a lowly Euro spec!

• Advertisement

dorgasm wrote: »
    Might be wrong but I think the FD2 is the coupe. I haven't done much reading into them to be honest. I had an EK4 vti so all my civic knowledge is from that era!

edit. think I am completely wrong about that after a quick google :P You're correct, FD2 is Jap. I'd be looking at a lowly Euro spec!

Im abit biased when it comes to hot hatches :P

I may be of no use to you here :)

It was a link to a website to talk about bordises. Maybe that's why you didn't get it :P

Stupid spam. I ratted him out to Dav anyway :pac:

Oh I think I saw talk of that somewhere. A replacement hangout instead of reddit for people who like creating fantasy back stories for other online posters who may have slighted them. Why would anyone think you'd be into that??

Im abit biased when it comes to hot hatches :P

I may be of no use to you here :)

I actually wouldn't mind an ST (or an RS!) myself but I've a soft spot for Hondas. Always been a fan of the FN2s mad styling. The only downside for me would be interior. The full cream leather in mine looks great and is super comfortable so would be hard to give up.

I actually wouldn't mind an ST (or an RS!) myself but I've a soft spot for Hondas. Always been a fan of the FN2s mad styling. The only downside for me would be interior. The full cream leather in mine looks great and is super comfortable so would be hard to give up.

Honestly RS models are making silly money and if i was spending that much i probably wouldn't

St are a good call, need some *Ahem* fiddling to unleash their potential.

Honestly RS models are making silly money and if i was spending that much i probably wouldn't

St are a good call, need some *Ahem* fiddling to unleash their potential.

A bit of fiddling sounds good to me :pac:

What kind of figures have you... ehh... fiddled out of yours?

A bit of fiddling sounds good to me :pac:

What kind of figures have you... ehh... fiddled out of yours?

None official yet, RS levels i would imagine atleast. Nothing else to be done now bar a bigger turbo, i'd rather save up for an LS2 monaro instead of spending 4 grand on everything that would be needed. RS Turbo/RS ABS module/Forged rods and pistons/RS crossover pipe/RS oil cooler/Suitable map etc

420bhp would be nice though.

Oh I think I saw talk of that somewhere. A replacement hangout instead of reddit for people who like creating fantasy back stories for other online posters who may have slighted them. Why would anyone think you'd be into that??

I have no idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Bringing a mechanic with me is often a bit too pricy. It's invariably a full day they're gone from the workshop, and as a mechanic or two have said in the past; without a ramp you can't really do much investigating.

I'll do a search and see if I can find much. I appreciate all the assistance. I'll quieten down for the night now as I may be annoying other users, and I'll report back tomorrow with hopefully a new car.

Thanks massively to all who gave up their time/knowledge to help me out. :)

Honestly spending 10k on a car privately with no mechanic and yourself having limited enough mechanical knowledge (no offence but you know what I mean) is just plain asking for trouble. I wouldn't buy a 1.6 psa diesel full stop end of story regardless of whether it's 90 bhp or 110bhp but that would be my view its your money but I mean they can get very expensive very fast if stuff goes wrong. Anyway it's your choice I'm not going to go on about it but don't say you weren't warned.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Honestly spending 10k on a car privately with no mechanic and yourself having limited enough mechanical knowledge (no offence but you know what I mean) is just plain asking for trouble. I wouldn't buy a 1.6 psa diesel full stop end of story regardless of whether it's 90 bhp or 110bhp but that would be my view its your money but I mean they can get very expensive very fast if stuff goes wrong. Anyway it's your choice I'm not going to go on about it but don't say you weren't warned.

To be fair, 10k isn't exactly a massive private sale. Can't comment on the actual car itself though.

• Advertisement

Lots of driving this week.

Sunday - Drogheda
    Monday - Castlebar
    Wednesday - Longford
    Thursday - Enniskillen

and planned for the rest of the week

Friday - Galway
    Saturday - Longford
    Sunday - Longford

This discussion has been closed.