Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

dorgasm wrote: »
    To be fair, 10k isn't exactly a massive private sale. Can't comment on the actual car itself though.

It's not even the money really I mean 10k is hardly a colossal amount of money to spend on a car or the fact it's a private sale more the lack of a mechanic and zero come back. I mean when I bought the megane I spent 4 hours looking it over from engine to panel gaps to underneath to checking controls to checking spare wheel well for damage anything and everything now I'd be a hell of a long way of a mechanic and would only have an average enough knowledge but I've learned what to look out for. I didn't get a mechanic to look over mine the difference was it was under warranty and sold by a Renault main dealer.

A few weeks later low and behold a wheel bearing went I bring it back and say I think it's a wheel bearing they check it test drive it say it is order the part. Change it which turned into a massive 3 hour job. But at no point was there any arguments or trying to blame me for it they fixed it that was it. Private sale though is a whole other ball game and with no mechanic it is even riskier.

GvidoR wrote: »
    Lots of driving this week.

Sunday - Drogheda
    Monday - Castlebar
    Wednesday - Longford
    Thursday - Enniskillen

and planned for the rest of the week

Friday - Galway
    Saturday - Longford
    Sunday - Longford

Sounds like a nice week of driving I wouldn't mind going on a nice trip before heading back to college but it looks impossible between having to finish several assignments, work, prepare for interview go to interview, get sorted for college, car could do with a good going over to interns of cleaning inside and out, checking fluid levels and general engine bay, check tyres brakes visually, check tyre pressure and check bulbs to (as no blown bulb indicator which is a pain).

I am hoping to wrap up them assignments over the weekend fingers crossed. I was in clonmel and new Ross over the week although neither were leisurly trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

nd wrote: »

Meh. Fred Francis had that sorted in 1957, only on a somewhat smaller scale. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

You know you are getting older when...

You realize this song is over 20 years old :(

But it isn't. Komodo's 15 years old :pac:

Sweet Lullaby is 23 years old though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Car trouble on holiday post #1

Drivers reg seized yesterday, late in the evening.
    Tried everything but with it raining i was forced to take drastic action.

Had to burst the door card off, got the motor going though. Parts are cheap and i wanted a black leather interior anyway so this might force it.

What a pain though, had plenty of tools but nothing to take the door card off :(

YbFocus wrote: »
    ...What a pain though, had plenty of tools but nothing to take the door card off :(

I got a Sealey trim-tool kit in a local motor factors a couple of years ago - great gear, and only cost about a score:

2672.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

YbFocus wrote: »
    Car trouble on holiday post #1

Drivers reg seized yesterday, late in the evening.
    Tried everything but with it raining i was forced to take drastic action.

Had to burst the door card off, got the motor going though. Parts are cheap and i wanted a black leather interior anyway so this might force it.

What a pain though, had plenty of tools but nothing to take the door card off :(

Aren't they two screws and a series of clips the whole way round....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So definitely a leak in 530 had to top it up this morning with water and a big puddle underneath it now in the car park, hard to see were it is coming from apart from the leak is on the drivers side of the engine.

Hate having to drive it and not knowing the issue . It's being looked at first thing in the morning though so I'm hoping can find the problem and it won't cost me a fortune either. Last time I had a coolant issue on the 330i ended up being a pricey fix.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Do you need a loan of a car for the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Aren't they two screws and a series of clips the whole way round....?

Yep, but they are a no. 4 or 5 torx bit which i didn't have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

If anyone is around Galway at ~8PM onwards, come down to KFC car park for a mini meet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Why oh why must garages torque the **** out of wheel nuts, turns a simple wheel removal into an ordeal😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

EazyD wrote: »
    Why oh why must garages torque the **** out of wheel nuts, turns a simple wheel removal into an ordeal😡

Using an air wrench to do it instead of a torque wrench. I always ask for them to be torqued to factory spec. Have had my own trouble with that nonsense in the past.

Lug wrench + pipe, job done.

Look at the American here :p

Look at the American here :p

wat wat? :P

That smile you get when picking up the car after a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

So definitely a leak in 530 had to top it up this morning with water and a big puddle underneath it now in the car park, hard to see were it is coming from apart from the leak is on the drivers side of the engine.

Hate having to drive it and not knowing the issue . It's being looked at first thing in the morning though so I'm hoping can find the problem and it won't cost me a fortune either. Last time I had a coolant issue on the 330i ended up being a pricey fix.

Have a look for cracked expansion tank or cap, pretty common on these cars.

beertons wrote: »
    That smile you get after you service your car.

Fixed.

• Advertisement

wat wat? :P

Over this side of the pond we would say

"A lock of scaffoldin pole and a brekker bar to whip off them baults hai"

Sounds much better ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Over this side of the pond we would say

"A lock of scaffoldin pole and a brekker bar to whip off them baults hai"

Sounds much better ;)

In Wesht Clare we say "If it moves, bate it till it doesn't and if it doesn't, bate it till it does"

In Wesht Clare we say "If it moves, bate it till it doesn't and if it doesn't, bate it till it does"

In my own twisted world....

"If in doubt, inch gun or consaw"

The smaller the car, the more uselessly useful the inch gun.... ;)

Using an air wrench to do it instead of a torque wrench. I always ask for them to be torqued to factory spec. Have had my own trouble with that nonsense in the past.

People would be amazed at how welded 90lb.ft. isn't. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I'm getting a lend of long breakers bar later but it put me in a right ol mood this morning. It seems like a game of F1 pit stop in some of these places, bashing all 4 nuts on as quick as possible.

I'm getting a lend of long breakers bar later but it put me in a right ol mood this morning. It seems like a game of F1 pit stop in some of these places, bashing all 4 nuts on as quick as possible.

Anyone using an incorrectly-calibrated airgun in an F1 pit would be doused in 100-RON and set on fire.

Do you need a loan of a car for the weekend?

Cheers for the offer really appreciate it. Not sure yet I'm hopeful he will find and fix the problem tomorrow fingers crossed.

Have a look for cracked expansion tank or cap, pretty common on these cars.

Yea read that alright but the leak is on the opposite side of the engine to the expansion tank and cap.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Anyone using an incorrectly-calibrated airgun in an F1 pit would be doused in 100-RON and set on fire.

From the time F1 was still F1 and not just girlies prancing around in Priuses:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Did he get 7up poured on him there at the end?
    Is this the origin of flat 7up as a cure all or was it already widely known internationally for its regenerative properties?

Did he get 7up poured on him there at the end?
    Is this the origin of flat 7up as a cure all or was it already widely known internationally for its regenerative properties?

Probably water in a 7 up bottle, you'd be fair sticky having that sh*t poured over yourself.

From the time F1 was still F1 and not just girlies prancing around in Priuses...

That's exactly what I'm talking about. He'll be more careful with that fcukan rattlegun in future, I'll warrant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

nice day for an oil change:)

Cheers for the offer really appreciate it. Not sure yet I'm hopeful he will find and fix the problem tomorrow fingers crossed.

I've a free gaff all weekend, so ya can have it till Sunday eve if ya like. Beer bought, food cooked till Monday, I ain't driving anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

5c off per litre in Apple Green for anyone using 3plus app

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »
    Honestly spending 10k on a car privately with no mechanic and yourself having limited enough mechanical knowledge (no offence but you know what I mean) is just plain asking for trouble. I wouldn't buy a 1.6 psa diesel full stop end of story regardless of whether it's 90 bhp or 110bhp but that would be my view its your money but I mean they can get very expensive very fast if stuff goes wrong. Anyway it's your choice I'm not going to go on about it but don't say you weren't warned.

Ah, no, I would never buy privately without a mechanic. What i was referring to above (lack of a mechanic) was buying from a Dealer. I was just saying that regardless (of whether it was a dealer or not) I'd like to get it checked by a mechanic.

I went out to Drimnagh Motors today and had a look at their C5. I know it's a relatively newish car (2011) but it looked like it had had a tougher life than my 14 year old Focus. Plastic on the upper brake light cracked, very bad scratching surrounding both the driver side door handles, bad stone chips (completely break the paint off altogether kinda bad - looked like someone was shooting it with a pellet gun for the craic) all over the front and sides of it. Inside drivers door rubber coating was peeling and looked 'nibbled' at. Same for the centre console. Steering wheel was badly faded in parts.

Took it for a 2 minute spin and it seemed to be driving okay. I was hoping to sway myself but I couldn't convince myself past the cosmetics. It just seemed too grubby and worn in comparison to the private one I looked at.

So I got in touch with the private seller again. He said he's away off to Lithuania until Sunday. We agreed a price (€10,100) and I said I'd organise a mechanic for Monday. I told him that I'd only buy it with a perfectly clean slate from a mechanic, and he said that was grand.

Had a mechanic in mind (Justin from JDM in Swords. Looked over the Focus for me and was fantastic to deal with) but unfortunately he's off on holiday next week from talking to him.

Can anyone recommend a mechanic in and around the Coolock area? I don't mind travelling a few minutes here or there, but nothing too excessive, preferably.

I rang Atlas Auto Service in Coolock. They said they charge €65, but it sounds like their service is a bit lackluster. "Throw it onto a ramp for a quick look" was the impression I got. No mention of any diagnostics check either, so I'll use them, but only if I can't get someone a bit more thorough or offering better value for money.

Yer man from JDM charged €30 or €35, I think, and he gave it a good thorough look over and a test drive (spent about an hour at the car. I threw him a few euro more, as the was so thorough, so I was keen to use him again).

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Something has caught my eye, anyone for an a3 1.8t with massive history?!

I've a free gaff all weekend, so ya can have it till Sunday eve if ya like. Beer bought, food cooked till Monday, I ain't driving anywhere.

Sounds like a perfect weekend :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Have you a link to the car KKv?

• Advertisement

I'm still not grasping why one has higher tax than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

As CIP4 has said, I really wouldn't go near something with that engine. They are so fragile and really require very consistent maintenance. You'd want to see proper evidence of that. Also the cynic in me looks at the miles and thinks it could be higher.

I also wouldn't spend that much on a private sale with absolutely no comeback, but that's just me. Somehow I feel this will fall on deaf ears and you will go straight ahead and buy it anyway though......

166man wrote: »
    As CIP4 has said, I really wouldn't go near something with that engine. They are so fragile and really require very consistent maintenance. You'd want to see proper evidence of that. Also the cynic in me looks at the miles and thinks it could be higher.

I also wouldn't spend that much on a private sale with absolutely no comeback, but that's just me. Somehow I feel this will fall on deaf ears and you will go straight ahead and buy it anyway though......

Ah, no, regardless of what I buy, I'm still happy to listen to opinions. I've been warned of the 1.6 engine but at the same time, you're not exactly spoiled for choice. 2ltrs seem a little rare about the place (tax higher, i presume, so no one went for them?).

The car will be exceptionally well minded in my ownership (last car I really liked, the Rav4, got 3 services in the year I owned it, just so I could find issues if they were to arise, as quickly as possible to not allow them to worsen).

It will be babied by me. I believe it has a service history with it, though, and if the timing belt is just done I'm sure he has a receipt from a reputable garage for that work, too.

Spending this much on a private sale is neither here nor there, really. Unless it's a main/branded dealer that's selling me a car I wouldn't put any heed in their warranty anyway (I know of too many people that got ignored over issues) so my best step forward really is just getting it looked at by a mechanic thoroughly before purchasing, I think. If I wanted to buy the same car off a main dealer, I reckon the difference in cost would be significant and, if i did run into trouble buying the car privately (a few issues arose) would probably just about balance things out anyway.

My mechanic is good friends with a chap in a Peugeot dealer here and he helped out a fair bit with the 407, so hopefully if any issues do arise I'll be able to get them looked at without any major over the top costs.

From googling online a few people say the 1.6 engine is great. Can I ask what it is in particular that would be a concern with it? Aside from servicing regularly (and before it's due), is it known to give any specific troubles? Seems to be lively enough when driving it (nothing special, but tastier than my 1.6 petrol focus, anyway!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I believe they're known to rattle themselves to bits before killing you slowly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah, no, regardless of what I buy, I'm still happy to listen to opinions. I've been warned of the 1.6 engine but at the same time, you're not exactly spoiled for choice. 2ltrs seem a little rare about the place (tax higher, i presume, so no one went for them?).

The car will be exceptionally well minded in my ownership (last car I really liked, the Rav4, got 3 services in the year I owned it, just so I could find issues if they were to arise, as quickly as possible to not allow them to worsen).

It will be babied by me. I believe it has a service history with it, though, and if the timing belt is just done I'm sure he has a receipt from a reputable garage for that work, too.

Spending this much on a private sale is neither here nor there, really. Unless it's a main/branded dealer that's selling me a car I wouldn't put any heed in their warranty anyway (I know of too many people that got ignored over issues) so my best step forward really is just getting it looked at by a mechanic thoroughly before purchasing, I think. If I wanted to buy the same car off a main dealer, I reckon the difference in cost would be significant and, if i did run into trouble buying the car privately (a few issues arose) would probably just about balance things out anyway.

My mechanic is good friends with a chap in a Peugeot dealer here and he helped out a fair bit with the 407, so hopefully if any issues do arise I'll be able to get them looked at without any major over the top costs.

From googling online a few people say the 1.6 engine is great. Can I ask what it is in particular that would be a concern with it? Aside from servicing regularly (and before it's due), is it known to give any specific troubles? Seems to be lively enough when driving it (nothing special, but tastier than my 1.6 petrol focus, anyway!).

Have you done a motorcheck on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

166man wrote: »

So fragile? At least they don't have a timing belt that has to be done every 36k.

They're not fragile. They're fitted to many many cars and vans with many giving reliable service. Our own has 305,000km on the clock. Serviced regurally and still starts on the button.

It's not really tolerant of the poor Irish mentaility of service it when it fails the NCT but if looked after are a reliable economical engine and far away from being fragile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

No no no no no no no. Spending 10k on a private sale is stupid in my book. I'd struggle to spend 5 privately. If you do your research on the dealer before you buy (ie staying away from all them dodgy looking ones in the scummy parts of Dublin) then you should be fairly safe with them honouring their warranty. 9 times out of 10 you only need to look at a garages 1. Appearance and 2. Stock they are selling (presentation etc) to give you an idea of what sort of crowd they are. Most of them are genuine.

The reason why you hear so many horror stories around here is because people want advice as in what to do. You're not going to get people coming on here saying "the dealer treated me well" because 1. People wouldn't go to the bother of praising a place and 2. They'd only be accused of shilling.
    Positive dealer experiences far far outweigh the negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

With regards the 1.6 PSA, we had one as a company car and racked up over 180k kilometers over my dad's ownership of 3 years, always serviced, got what it need on time. This was in a 2006 407. This car is now in my Cousin's ownership since 2009 and has been faultless. Can't ask for more tbh. If you get a 1.6 with a history it's a safe enough bet IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

anything that hasn't been looked after will be a nightmare. why not go down the pcp route :pac:

Infairness the 1.6hdi psa can be a very reliable engine when minded from new like a baby and serviced every 15k km problem is most have 20k km service intervals which means they are serviced every 25k km by most people. A 1.6 vag, 1.6 Hyundai, 1.5 Renault engine can all handle these longer interval the psa one by its nature just can't. So if this one was serviced perfectly every 15k km with correct oil is as dry as a bone engine wise isn't smokey at all then maybe chance it but I don't see the point in chancing it if you could buy something that will most likely be more reliable. They are just such an oily bastard of an engine I've genuinely never seen a properly dry one with zero oil anywhere then I've seen a few literally drowned in oil. I can list what went wrong with mine but people are sick of hearing about that focus. But it ultimately cost me 2k to keep it for year and still wasn't perfect that's purely maintenance cost not depreciation or anything like that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement