Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

D2NjM.png

I wish i had the more modern 2.5 :(
    I make 26 mpg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Funny how you're talking about fuel consumption, I was just coming here to post how amazed I am by the Punto.

The low petrol light came on last night and I put in €10.00 (€1.399/L) petrol and it took 120 KM for that light to come back on. :eek:

Fitted two Continental tyres on it yesterday which say "Saves Fuel" on them. Maybe that has something to do with it. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

GvidoR wrote: »
    Funny how you're talking about fuel consumption, I was just coming here to post how amazed I am by the Punto.

The low petrol light came on last night and I put in €10.00 (€1.399/L) petrol and it took 120 KM for that light to come back on. :eek:

Fitted two Continental tyres on it yesterday which say "Saves Fuel" on them. Maybe that has something to do with it. :P

How did Longford *Shudder* go ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

How did Longford *Shudder* go ?

It was great fun, although the final scores ended up being a little disappointing. 2 more games tomorrow so yeah... gotta make up for today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Speakers in the newer Fords are feckers for breaking and vibrating. Any pics?

How new? Had 99, 04, 06 and 09 Fords, never seen a single speaker go wrong.
    Though the Transit Connect has terrible speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

How new? Had 99, 04, 06 and 09 Fords, never seen a single speaker go wrong. Though the Transit Connect has terrible speakers.

I know the mk4 mondeo and the 2.5 focus had issues with them. Numerous threads on the Ford forums about them.

The rear left speaker in the mondeo gets cranky every now and then, starts buzzing.

Anyone know what size these wheels would be?

45133605.jpeg

20" I'm guessing?

(All going according to plan, i'll have come in under budget on the car, so I've about a grand to play with, so was thinking of getting a nicer set of wheels for the C5).

Never bought wheels before but Citroen are 5x108 stud pattern. As far as I know BMW, Ford, Peugeot and Volvo all use the same pattern? and therefore wheels made for any of those cars would fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need to make sure the offset and centre bore are the same too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Bmw 5x120.

As colm said, offset is a crucial factor as well as the bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Bore is pretty easy to deal with - using spigot rings. And offset doesn't need to be exactly the same tbh.

Very handy site to find compatible wheels, by the way --> http://www.wheelfitment.eu

• Advertisement

Does anyone else have the Boards header (blue bar at the top with the search bar etc.) following them down the screen? Did that not used to stay up the top (so when you scrolled down it'd be gone)? Feeling very claustrophobic :o Screen feels tiny.

Does anyone know what kinda size (inch) you'd want to be looking at for them to look a big nice on the car? I presume the ones that are actually on the car in the picture are 16" or 17"? I'd assume the Insignia in the pic above is on 20" wheels?

http://s12.postimg.org/daelr9fnx/IMG_3122.jpg

There's a place around here called East Coast Alloys. They're supposed to be good (never been out near them) but I'd be just as happy to stick with the likes of Donedeal/adverts etc and get a set a bit cheaper second hand (presuming they're not scuffed and such, of course).

The first set of wheels in this ad look good (10 spoke BMW ones)

https://cars.donedeal.ie/alloyswheels-for-sale/alloys-ford-bmw/10219911

But my presumption, considering the random selection and overly cheap price, is that they're all stolen.

Tis class, now all you need to do is set max number of posts per page and you are a pro ;)

https://gyazo.com/b1acc8aee276ea69ba8cf455789d79ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Does anyone else have the Boards header (blue bar at the top with the search bar etc.) following them down the screen? Did that not used to stay up the top (so when you scrolled down it'd be gone)? Feeling very claustrophobic :o Screen feels tiny.

Go into the Appearance settings for your Boards.ie account. You can untick the box "Sticky Header" and the header area will not be stuck to the top when scrolling :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=appearancesettings

You can enable cosy mode too for maximum display area on a small screen. I use it permanently even on a big monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Buy my car please :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-bmw-330d-m-sport-e90/10189047?offset=9

Seriously though, any opinions on the ad would be appreciated.

Pov06 wrote: »
    Go into the Appearance settings for your Boards.ie account. You can untick the box "Sticky Header" and the header area will not be stuck to the top when scrolling :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=appearancesettings

You can enable cosy mode too for maximum display area on a small screen. I use it permanently even on a big monitor.

It is unticked :confused:

I've been using boards since that new layout and the thingy at the top never followed me down the screen. Just started happening there about 5 minutes ago. :(

I'll see if it just goes away itself after an hour or so.

Buy my car please :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-bmw-330d-m-sport-e90/10189047?offset=9

Seriously though, any opinions on the ad would be appreciated.

One of the things I like people doing is showing the dash off. I like to see what it is I'd be sitting into. If it were me, I'd advise one of those photos where you get in the back and take a photo of the whole dash/centre console/steering wheel in one.

That's just me though, personally.

It is unticked :confused:

I've been using boards since that new layout and the thingy at the top never followed me down the screen. Just started happening there about 5 minutes ago. :(

I'll see if it just goes away itself after an hour or so.

It's handy though, who wants to scroll all the way up to go to the default motors or indeed any other forums subforum main page ?

I just click on the top centre bit of the screen and it scrolls all the way up

It's handy though, who wants to scroll all the way up to go to the default motors or indeed any other forums subforum main page ?

I just press the Home button and it shoots me up to the top of the page. A habit I've developed.

Oddly enough, i was in my messages, and on the main page, and its not following me down. Just in this thread. I tried refreshing the page to no avail. Strange one.

Unrelated; would the airport be the only place you'd get dollar/pound on a sunday? (I presume their bureau de change is open on a sunday).?

See KKV even mods can be big newbs :p

• Advertisement

See KKV even mods can be big newbs :p

I couldn't handle having the banners there all the time

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I couldn't handle having the banners there all the time

I would have thought you would be used to weird HUD setups from the Civic :)

Would these fit the C5?

http://www.4wheels.ie/p240/Genuine-Set-%284%29-18%22-Audi-S4-Alloy-wheels/product_info.html

(I presume the Audi cap can be replaced with a Citroen or generic one, handy enough?).

These would apparently fit, too.

Not sure if 18" is the size I'd be needing to look at though? Want something nice and space-filling on the car.

PCD on the Audi is 4mm bigger, so no.

Wolfrace wheels should be left in the 90s IMO.

Citroen c6 came with some nice wheels IIRC

Would these fit the C5?

Personally I'd stick with either 17's or 18's. There's probably 16's already on it, and anything above 18 will rob you on tyres and your comfort will suffer.

Whatever you do stick with oem wheels, nothing looks worse on a car than cheap looking aftermarket wheels

colm_mcm wrote: »
    PCD on the Audi is 4mm bigger, so no.

Wolfrace wheels should be left in the 90s IMO.

Citroen c6 came with some nice wheels IIRC

Do a search for the C5 or pretty much any car and the demo/show models seem to have class wheels.

For example..

citroen_c5_ant_0.png?itok=uVafUvaq

But I'd say if I went to a Citroen dealer with that picture they'd not know what to order, and when they figured it out, hit me with a bill of.. I'd guess... around €1,500-2,000 for the wheels with no tyres. If they were reasonably priced (1000 or so) I'd consider them. Im sure i'd get back about 300-400 for my own wheels and tyres?

EDIT: Better again!

16106194_large.jpg

Also some cars don't take well to larger wheels, ie, there can be a larger gap in the arches then what you'd like. Generally the cars with the larger wheels have sports/lowered suspension, so the wheels fill the arches better.

Well I'd never lower a car, but I do think bigger wheels would look good.

What about these, even:

http://www.adverts.ie/alloys-wheels/5x108/8700234

I think they look better than what's currently on it (though they do have a few scuffs, but hey, they're cheap! :P ).

There's a black megane around the town i see the odd time, and it has good wheels. They're big (not sure how big.. something like the insignia i posted earlier id say) and I think the rear wheels have spacers on them. But it looks really well all done together. Stands out, but not in a cheapo boy racer way. Looks good without being tacky. That's the kinda look I'd like to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The wheels in those pictures KKV are far too big for the car imo.

• Advertisement

I think the wheels on the esate look okay size wise (and the saloons ones look too big).

That said, I think the saloon's wheels look class. I really like that design.

Yep 17's or 18's, any bigger looks tacky IMO

Just so ive an idea on sizes, can anyone take a guess as to what's actually on it at the moment? (trying to figure out what each size looks like).

16s?

no-photo.gif

(not my car, just a random car for sale.. think those are the same wheels, though)

I'd say they're 16s alright
    17s would do ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Just look on eBay for secondhand wheels. You'll probably get decent tyres too. The ones you're picking at the moment will earn the car a place in the skanger thread. Stick with OEM wheels on a Citroen.

Stick with OEM wheels on a Citroen.

This seems to be the motto of the forum. Whats up with that? OEM alloys are usually very cheap and ugly looking.

• Advertisement

Citroen do some nice wheels to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Am I the only one that cant see anything wrong with the alloys on it sure on the small side but not outrageously small really.

I think buying alloys in 90% of cases is just a big waste of money. I'd only see a point in buying them if the ones that were on it were horrible or if it was on steelies.

Although even with steelies in many cases OE wheel covers look grand
    / runs away

In other news I'm struggling with going back to manually dimming the centre mirror you never appreciate these features until you don't have them. This is the last mid spec car for me I think high spec all the way from here I appreciate the extras far too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

This seems to be the motto of the forum. Whats up with that? OEM alloys are usually very cheap and ugly looking.

Citroens usually look cack on aftermarket wheels. The C5 is kind of quirky and the wheels they have suit the lines of the car. Sticking a set of wheels like the Insignia or BMW wheels won't work on it. The Lambo-esque ones on that silver saloon look ridiculous.

I'm all for trying something else but wolfrace wheels? Really?

Well to be honest, I actually just had a bit of a 'duh, why didn't i think of that hours ago' moment.

I met up with this guy earlier on today, to take a look at his 508 (before i viewed and ultimately agreed to buy the C5)

http://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/508/2011-peugeot-508/8685835

He has 18" wheels on that. I just realised that he's selling the 17s separately. So I just sent him a text there now to see would he perhaps throw the 17s back on the car, and sell me the 18s off it instead. He hasn't replied yet, but I like those 18s.

Citroens usually look cack on aftermarket wheels. The C5 is kind of quirky and the wheels they have suit the lines of the car. Sticking a set of wheels like the Insignia or BMW wheels won't work on it. The Lambo-esque ones on that silver saloon look ridiculous.

I'm all for trying something else but wolfrace wheels? Really?

Agree on the wolfrace, tacky as ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

OEM alloys are usually very cheap and ugly looking.

Of the choices presented before you, are you really trying to claim that the OEM wheels are the ones that look very cheap and ugly? :pac:

Of the choices presented before you, are you really trying to claim that the OEM wheels are the ones that look very cheap and ugly? :pac:

Not in this case, how ever it is said an awful lot over in the post a picture thread. But yes in a lot of cases OEM wheels are crap looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not in this case, how ever it is said an awful lot over in the post a picture thread. But yes in a lot of cases OEM wheels are crap looking.

Agree to disagree I guess. The majority of aftermarket wheels I've seen on cars are infinitely worse than the worst of OEM wheels. You have to shell out big money to get decent aftermarket wheels - which most people won't do.

And for a car like the pug, you will just transform it into a skanger banger by sticking non-OEM on it.

For Mr Mondy, ba and the other educators that hang around here :pac:

359515.jpg

As usual, robbed from YLYL.

For Mr Mondy, ba and the other educators that hang around here

Ah I'm not dreading it too much, it's only getting back into the routine is the hard part. Once I'm back it's grand. However there's a few major changes happening, which I'm weary about, but sure we'll take them as they come.

Ah I'm not dreading it too much, it's only getting back into the routine is the hard part. Once I'm back it's grand. However there's a few major changes happening, which I'm weary about, but sure we'll take them as they come.

The junior cert thing? Shpill the beans man! I promise I won't tell Jan :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I'm half dreading leaving my placement job to go to college 2 weeks left there and it's all over it was some experience infairness and I'll miss the place :) but as you said it just about getting back into a routine.

The junior cert thing? Shpill the beans man! I promise I won't tell Jan

Not so much that, moreso the fact there will be a lot of staff changes. New vice principal, complete outsider, won't know the run of things, will probably want to change everything. I'd much prefer if someone already there got it - they'd know how the place is run etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not so much that, moreso the fact there will be a lot of staff changes. New vice principal, complete outsider, won't know the run of things, will probably want to change everything. I'd much prefer if someone already there got it - they'd know how the place is run etc..

Did you apply?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Did you apply?

Jaypers no! Far far too young to be involved in that sort of an area. Don't think I'd ever want to be a DP or principal.

This makes for light Sunday reading :D
    http://m.independent.ie/life/family/learning/schools-get-threeweek-break-over-easter-2016-30100514.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement